Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

rhapsody dr1, a few years before the official "osx," ran on x86

that said, apple claimed their x86 port took about a month. i assume they needed some time to implement missing device drivers in an ancient, unmaintained tree

the original x86 port was in 1993

yeah, a month for something in the neighborhood of production quality. if you move the goal posts up to booting to desktop with networking capabilities with generic vesa and just forgetting about acpi altogether, it was probably a day or two. and while typing that out, i realized i'm also describing a hackintosh, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Laslow posted:

yeah, a month for something in the neighborhood of production quality. if you move the goal posts up to booting to desktop with networking capabilities with generic vesa and just forgetting about acpi altogether, it was probably a day or two. and while typing that out, i realized i'm also describing a hackintosh, basically.

tbf hackintosh is only like, five devices away from the hardware actually being sold

their original x86 "port" was updating an old source tree by like, five years. little wonder it took a few weeks.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tbf hackintosh is only like, five devices away from the hardware actually being sold

their original x86 "port" was updating an old source tree by like, five years. little wonder it took a few weeks.
yeah, five years in 199X tech is like fifteen now when you account for inflation.

hell, mac mini was 5 year old hardware which they sold up until yesterday.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i poo poo on osx at pretty much every available opportunity, because it is a dogshit unix written by assholes serving a market i don't really understand

but hear me loud and clear on this fuckin thing

no operating system ever has been as deeply committed to multi-architecture development, seriously

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

macos has its problems but like what is ur extant, better alternative

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

macos has its problems but like what is ur extant, better alternative

that is very much purpose specific

as i said, it is a dogshit unix, so i would not recommend trying to use it as a unix supplement or unix development platform

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ok so what if you're 99% of people who use computer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

ok so what if you're 99% of people who use computer

then your computer came with windows preloaded and it's kind of a moot question

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the question is "what is the ideal os for 99% of people who computer" and lol if ur answer is something other than tim os sex

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

every unix is a dogshit unix, it is the nature of unix to be dogshit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

every unix is a dogshit unix, it is the nature of unix to be dogshit

it's a relative measure

you may hate every unix, but some unixes are worse at being unix than others

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
as with dogshit, if crapping out the turd killed your dog, you would probably be unsatisfied with that particular dog poo poo.

it doesn't matter that you didn't have high hopes to start with -- "not killing my dog" was a core requirement of a given dog poo poo

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no operating system ever has been as deeply committed to multi-architecture development, seriously
no operating system ever has been as deeply committed to ensuring that their hardware vendors are never truly comfortable under any circumstance.

and those decades of commitment are really paying off now that they have the A-series to use as the sword of damocles.

not unlike how nfl owners used to use LA to swindle them some stadium money.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

it’s been a matter of time ever since apple started shipping laptops with iPad-tdp cpus. I wouldn’t be surprised if the arm port of iTunes was the millstone here. that and it would look weird to have split archs across their laptop line. given that arm does better at 5w now, how long until they’re better at 30-50w?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

it’s been a matter of time ever since apple started shipping laptops with iPad-tdp cpus. I wouldn’t be surprised if the arm port of iTunes was the millstone here. that and it would look weird to have split archs across their laptop line. given that arm does better at 5w now, how long until they’re better at 30-50w?
i think it's a matter of getting that 30-50w cpu ready for primetime so they don't have multiple archs. it was stated in the keynote that the a12x is more powerful than 92% of laptops. now that's hardware that already exists today. they may have an a14xx or whatever a couple years that'll not only outperform intel, but quite frankly make them look like irrelevant power hogs like PowerPC. even if they can't beat intel on the very high end, the tdp advantage will make intel look like ridiculous clowns.

the only reason i don't think it'll happen sooner is that they just announced new intel models yesterday. they proved they can handle an architecture switch as painlessly as possible. there's probably some things on the manufacturing end that need work too, i would imagine.

e: forgot this was a video card thread. so, yes in conclusion powervr is going to release a new dedicated pcie card any day now.

Laslow fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 1, 2018

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i dont think theres any point to a macbook arm. ios already has more software its more secure/controlled and makes apple a ton of money on app store sales on top.

at some point ios will just gain mouse pointer support and macos will be deprecated

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

poty posted:

i dont think theres any point to a macbook arm. ios already has more software its more secure/controlled and makes apple a ton of money on app store sales on top.

at some point ios will just gain mouse pointer support and macos will be deprecated

macos won't disappear until they have an xcode for ios :q:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Laslow posted:

i think it's a matter of getting that 30-50w cpu ready for primetime so they don't have multiple archs. it was stated in the keynote that the a12x is more powerful than 92% of laptops. now that's hardware that already exists today. they may have an a14xx or whatever a couple years that'll not only outperform intel, but quite frankly make them look like irrelevant power hogs like PowerPC. even if they can't beat intel on the very high end, the tdp advantage will make intel look like ridiculous clowns.

remember this is apple's performance number. they also used to claim 500 mhz G4s were fast.

it's almost inconceivable that a low power arm chip can rival x86 or POWER for single thread performance. i do not think you would enjoy running a compiler on that sucker

i don't doubt that apple has industry-leading ARM core designs. i just doubt that an ARM core meant for a cellphone is gonna stand up to serious CPUs that draw 100w

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also there exist like three watt intel parts

the reason you never hear about them is that, as with low-power ARM parts, the performance sucks poo poo

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

remember this is apple's performance number. they also used to claim 500 mhz G4s were fast.

it's almost inconceivable that a low power arm chip can rival x86 or POWER for single thread performance. i do not think you would enjoy running a compiler on that sucker

i don't doubt that apple has industry-leading ARM core designs. i just doubt that an ARM core meant for a cellphone is gonna stand up to serious CPUs that draw 100w

cavium is shipping today server chips that win in perf/$ and iirc perf/watt. arm might take a while to eat the HEDT market but apple hasn’t been in that market seriously for a long time now. 3-4 years, maybe 5, and there will be arm chips that beat intels laptop offerings

ps I am v suspicious of geekbenchs numbers. using something easy to extract ilp from and not representative of app performance I bet.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the apple chip is 7nm tsmc vs intel 14nm++, that's going to close the gap a lot

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

macOS with Vulcan and egpu virtual machine passthrough.

mmmm

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a 500 g4 running os9 or 10.3 flies, it wasn't until the g5 and powerbook g4 al (a joke) that the gap widened to a comical degree

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Perplx posted:

the apple chip is 7nm tsmc vs intel 14nm++, that's going to close the gap a lot

7nm tsmc is comparable in density to intel 10nm
7nm tsmc is comparable in clock rates to intel 14nm

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cavium is shipping today server chips that win in perf/$ and iirc perf/watt. arm might take a while to eat the HEDT market but apple hasn’t been in that market seriously for a long time now. 3-4 years, maybe 5, and there will be arm chips that beat intels laptop offerings

ps I am v suspicious of geekbenchs numbers. using something easy to extract ilp from and not representative of app performance I bet.

“perf/$” is more commonly known as “price.” market trailers offer lower prices than market leaders, because they have to

perf/watt is kind of a complex topic in a data center environment and I can’t manage that one in a phone post

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

intel 10nm is dead

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

intel 10nm is dead

maybe

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

7nm tsmc is comparable in density to intel 10nm
7nm tsmc is comparable in clock rates to intel 14nm

someone help me articulate to the little apple fanboy poo poo at work that no, we all wont switch to ipads next year for our actual computing workflows

pram
Jun 10, 2001
actually we will

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

pram posted:

actually we will

gently caress

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ok now i'm not on a phone and i can actually manage the perf/watt issue in a datacenter context

1. nobody actually cares about perf/watt in a vacuum. if they had cared, they'd have adopted the 1st generation of arm-for-datacenter chips back in 2006.

2. the real problem is that any given enterprise customer has X racks * Y wattage available in a given datacenter. this is where the perf/watt opportunity opens.

changing the rack count, or the wattage per rack, is extraordinarily expensive. the hardware in the racks changes all the time, every three years or so, but the datacenter itself lasts a long time, and has a shitload of capital soaked in

outside of cellphones, nobody has ever given a gently caress about wattage for its own sake. it is about density, and upgrading hardware in place without additional spend on the datacenter facilities

3. if you want an enterprise win, you need to be able to offer same-or-greater single thread performance, but achieve better densities, in order to beat that harsh X racks * Y wattage web

if you can match haswell x86 single thread performance, but offer N% greater density, you will sell chips as fast as you can pick up the phone, because that is a compelling value prop

every fucker in the industry will want that N% density bump, even with a weird lovely architecture, because the capex for a new datacenter is brutal.

conversely, if you have 50% of haswell x86 single thread performance, you can offer 300% greater density, and not a soul alive gives a poo poo. because they can't replace the existing gear in-place. you're offering a weird, special-purpose chip that nobody wanted

cavium has been firmly in that category for a long time

the performance is ok unless you wanted to upgrade some actually-existing piece of hardware in your current datacenter

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 2, 2018

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

sure I get that caviums stuff is niche (though thanks for explaining exactly why) but what I was trying to say is that arm keeps getting better. the single-thread performance is no longer laughable and I believe it’s likely within a few generations that apples arm cores will outperform intel in a laptop power envelope, and I think they’re working hard on it. better perf due to proprietary hardware is differentiation that dell and Lenovo can’t rip off

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

sure I get that caviums stuff is niche (though thanks for explaining exactly why) but what I was trying to say is that arm keeps getting better. the single-thread performance is no longer laughable and I believe it’s likely within a few generations that apples arm cores will outperform intel in a laptop power envelope, and I think they’re working hard on it. better perf due to proprietary hardware is differentiation that dell and Lenovo can’t rip off

that is the joke — “In a laptop power envelope” can mean anything, depending on how harshly you limit the user

there is nothing intrinsic that makes ARM good. no magic there.

it would be pretty hard for a cellphone vendor with a small semiconductor team to rival AMD, to say nothing of the performance Titans, year in and year out — IBM and Intel.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

wait a second is that why Apple artificially limited the 2018 air to 5w.

did they design it around a theoretical 5w arm processor

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

SRQ posted:

wait a second is that why Apple artificially limited the 2018 air to 5w.

did they design it around a theoretical 5w arm processor

:getin:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

in some ways the stock arm cores are more impressive than the apple CPUs, because they’re close to competitive while having way lower area. like on die shot comparisons they’re sometimes like half the size at iso process

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

DuckConference posted:

in some ways the stock arm cores are more impressive than the apple CPUs, because they’re close to competitive while having way lower area. like on die shot comparisons they’re sometimes like half the size at iso process

in general one should remember that there is a certain level of getting what one pays for, the apple a12 has 6.9 billion transistors to a snapdragon 845 with 5.3 billion (i believe these are both estimates from die shots + averages of the processes, so a grain of salt should be added), and the latter implements the modem within that envelope (where apple uses a separate chip)

still really apples to apples to compare performance, but it is not like apple is applying some truly unheard-of magic to their stuff

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that is the joke — “In a laptop power envelope” can mean anything, depending on how harshly you limit the user

there is nothing intrinsic that makes ARM good. no magic there.

it would be pretty hard for a cellphone vendor with a small semiconductor team to rival AMD, to say nothing of the performance Titans, year in and year out — IBM and Intel.

i mean the power range apple builds laptops for which is approximtely 5 to 50 watts. especially if TSMC or Samsung manage to develop and maintain a process lead over intel

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i mean the power range apple builds laptops for which is approximtely 5 to 50 watts. especially if TSMC or Samsung manage to develop and maintain a process lead over intel

all laptop chips combined are a pitiful amount of money

developing and maintaining a process lead over the industry leader for forty years is the biggest “if” I’ve ever heard.

I might be a pork magnate is pigs flew out of my rear end, but they don’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

all laptop chips combined are a pitiful amount of money

developing and maintaining a process lead over the industry leader for forty years is the biggest “if” I’ve ever heard.

I might be a pork magnate is pigs flew out of my rear end, but they don’t.

im not suggesting that intel is going anywhere. just i think theres a good chance osx will have an arm release within 3-4 years

• Locked thread