Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
are they good? it would be nice if nvidias website told you anything about the product theyre trying to sell you for 1200, or what a founders edition is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
the top end one is $10,000

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

out standing

poty
Jun 21, 2008

keep in mind that my last gaming pc had a radeon 8500

lol 650w recommended system power ffs that must be hell to run in the summer

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my personal computer is running a card whose name i do not know

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

theyre probably fine.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

No duck demo no sale

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

I've never seen a retail card like that before and this is the first dual fan founders edition. my hot take: looks power hungry af

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the top end one is $10,000

Only $500,000 for a rack of 4 servers with 8 GPUs each. Save more as you buy more!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximum Leader posted:

I've never seen a retail card like that before and this is the first dual fan founders edition. my hot take: looks power hungry af

loooool

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

iChill too brah :2bong:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I'm glad Nvidia is giving us all a chance to recreate the heat death of the planet in our own homes

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Pretty soon they're going to ship with couplers to hook directly in to the refrigerant loop on a home AC system

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Pretty soon they're going to ship with couplers to hook directly in to the refrigerant loop on a home AC system

that would actually be awesome

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

gamer asphyxiated from refrigerant leak, nothing of value was lost

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i've seen pictures of janky ducts leading to A/C units but honestly kinda surprised nobody's tried selling a little A/C unit that just bolts onto the side of a tower case

what's the minimum practical size you can make an air conditioner anyway?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

this is not a new idea https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_cooling#Phase-change_cooling
and people have tried to sell the units before and mostly gone bust

useful units use larger compressors than refrigerators for a sense of practical sizing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what's the minimum practical size you can make an air conditioner anyway?

if you don't care about actually conditioning any air, you can fit a peltier in like, 1mm thickness by arbitrary area

you will note most attempts at peltier cooling PCs end in tears

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
peltier cooling is super great

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

poty posted:

are they good? it would be nice if nvidias website told you anything about the product theyre trying to sell you for 1200, or what a founders edition is

founders edition = you bought the card immediately at release for 20% more

it's a cool way to get extra money from impulsive people and cryptominers

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Triglav posted:

founders edition = you bought the card immediately at release for 20% more

it's a cool way to get extra money from impulsive people and cryptominers

I thought the founders editions were cheaper than retail because of crypto idiots.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

iirc 1080 founders was $100 more than the normal stuff you get from other companies like evga

the founders stuff is branded nvidia instead of evga $$$$$$

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah founders edition is literally just nvidia-branded for more money for the same product that might not even be as good as other oems that don't use the standard cooling

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Triglav posted:

iirc 1080 founders was $100 more than the normal stuff you get from other companies like evga

the founders stuff is branded nvidia instead of evga $$$$$$

the founders stuff is just a way to steal money out of their own channel. throwing their own hardware partners under the bus to make a quick buck.

it would be suicide for any firm in a competitive market, but nvidia arguably isn't

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

ah yes, the mainframe approach

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Maximum Leader posted:

vega 64/FE has a similar sku

pram
Jun 10, 2001
but that radiator is enormous lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
video card with a grill like a fucken edsel

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

some guy sitting next to me at a big regional lan party in the mid 2000s had phase change cooling and a fuckoff huge custom case to support it. wish i had some pics of that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

some guy sitting next to me at a big regional lan party in the mid 2000s had phase change cooling and a fuckoff huge custom case to support it. wish i had some pics of that

evaporative cooling used to be a thing until nerds started getting legionnaire's disease

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

re: phase change cooling

asetek vapochill was a thing.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i like how they moulded the floppy disk drive so it couldnt be any other 3.5" sized thing besides a floppy disk

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

fat pc

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I don’t do anything that requires a new nvidia card.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sniep posted:

i like how they moulded the floppy disk drive so it couldnt be any other 3.5" sized thing besides a floppy disk

i'm sure you could put a drive or w/e behind it no problem. you'd just be able to see it through the hole

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i kind of miss the heyday of lan parties in a weird masochistic way

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i kind of miss the heyday of lan parties in a weird masochistic way

extremely same

i would love to go to one

they have them, they're just massive now and corp sponsored

and who has room in their home to have a dozen people over with computers. housing is obviously not something available to people these days unless you're in flyover land

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Sniep posted:

extremely same

and who has room in their home to have a dozen people over with computers. housing is obviously not something available to people these days unless you're in flyover land

guy taped to heating pipes hanging from the ceiling playing counter strike.jpg

poty
Jun 21, 2008

akadajet posted:

I don’t do anything that requires a new nvidia card.

i wouldnt be so sure about that mate. i hear the new cards have 6x the ray tracing performance. how do i check how many rays my computer is tracing now? is it on the control panel somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sniep posted:

extremely same

pffft, we fit 6 people in a dorm room for a LAN party. just play older games on laptops, you don't need that much space

the bigger challenge is convincing enough people to come over for 12 hours of grody nerdliness and to actually install everything.

• Locked thread