Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I wasn't that excited for the new pokemon in smash until I found out it has this like pro-wrestling thing going on

awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Wait are some people actually thinking you get spirits by using actual money? Nobody seriously thought that right?

I don't think so, I think people just wanted them to spend 40 minutes listing off new characters they'd try once and go back to picking Falco

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

I can't find it again but pretend I emptyquoted the post saying that smash trailers are insanely good at producing hype and I have to actively remind myself I don't like smash

I think that was me

The other thing that makes it so it's hard for me to escape the hype is one of my best friends loving loves Smash so every time I hang out with him I catch a little of the smash fever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hello November. Why are 82 degrees?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

al-azad posted:

the world is ending

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

GUI posted:

Transistor came out for the Switch today. Guess I'll spare Video Games (the medium, not the poster) from being murdered this year.

Cowcaster posted:

so you're still going to murder Video Games the poster then

haveblue posted:

I'm going to murder video games ironically

I always suspected it would come down to this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

al-azad posted:

It's getting cold here but we only have two seasons now hot & cold

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Quiet Man, folks

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I can't believe they literally recreated the MMMM WHATCHA SAY SNL sketch in this game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I gotta say I like Nintendo's recent (ish) trend of having more main themes with vocals

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

don't worry they all had extra lives. even petey

kirby just won the match is all

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

https://twitter.com/thepowerplumber/status/1058014515391090689

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i just realized, today they announced Pokken for Smash

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CJacobs posted:

It really is. What's interesting about sonic 06 to me is that it's ALMOST a good game

no it isn't hahahaha what

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

It's gone forever and good riddance

i am the wind is beautiful shut up

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Does anyone else always get kind of bored or overwhelmed around the point in a pokemon game when your dudes are around level 24? It's this weird combo of factors:

- oh jeez more tall grass time to play RNG lottery
- Which 6 of the 40 pokemans do I want to bring with me on this trip?
- I can't remember where those rocks I can now break are/where that person who wanted to trade with me was
- goddamn it none of my dudes have evolved in literally 15 hours, why are Bug types the only ones that evolve early
- What do I make this eevee into

It's happened to me with every game since Gold/Silver

...and I'm thinking of picking up Alpha Sapphire tonight :v:

Edit: but I'll probably get Detective Pikachu

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

i am the wind is beautiful shut up

always nice to finish off dracula with a nice soothing cup of folger's coffee

al-azad
May 28, 2009

oddium posted:

I don't know, I think it's an apt comparison. I would describe Sonic '06 as "Sonic Adventure, already a game that's a buggy mess barely held together, except they shipped the alpha." It has all the elements of a 3D Sonic game but now there's a loading screen before and after every dialog scene and they forgot to check if every platform was solid.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oddium posted:

It is. It's a game with a ton of potential that is perfectly on display, but none of it is realized because they shipped it way before it was even close to that point. You can look at Sonic 06 and see what they WANTED to do with it and that's what makes it almost-good in my mind. It's not good. But it's easy to picture what a finished version of Sonic 06 would look like imo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

But it's easy to picture what a finished version of Sonic 06 would look like imo.

Yeah, mediocre in a really boring way instead of the fantastic mess it ended up being

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Incorrect. It would have been the game people think they are remembering when they look back on playing Sonic Adventure as a kid. That fuckin guy calling himself Sonicman and wearing a Sonic hat and challenging the real Sonic The Hedgehog to a race wherein he runs with his arms behind him like Naruto would have been even better in a good Sonic game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Incorrect. It would have been the game people think they are remembering when they look back on playing Sonic Adventure as a kid. That fuckin guy calling himself Sonicman and wearing a Sonic hat and challenging the real Sonic The Hedgehog to a race wherein he runs with his arms behind him like Naruto would have been even better in a good Sonic game.

Sonic adventure was garbage too

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the real secret is that Smash is the only good series of video games Sonic has been in

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

sonic adventure is bad but sonic adventure 2 is in the top 5 best games

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Andrast posted:

Sonic adventure was garbage too

You're wrong imo, but even so that was my point, everyone remembers it being better than it actually is (good, but not great). Sonic 06 would've been the game they imagined in their heads.

edit: I think an open world Sonic could work just fine, but it'd take a level of execution that none of the Sonic games with exploration have had, so it'd be nice for someone else besides Sonic Team to try and make one.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 1, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sonic 06 was an ambitious game with a ton of ideas, many of them good (though others were really bad) but it pretty much fails on all levels, making the good ideas bad and the bad ideas unbearable. It is a game that needed like at least another year, and that's not just because of the bugs but most of the basic gameplay just isn't fun and doesn't work. There is also the fact that if you fixed everything bad about the gameplay, you'd be left with a story that is somehow terrible even for a Sonic game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

sonic adventure is bad but sonic adventure 2 is in the top 5 best games

I feel the opposite. I replayed them and I enjoyed SA1 far more than I was expecting and couldn't even get through SA2.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I started playing ResEvil 4 and it's really offputting. The music's all creepy and the environment is bleak and the controls are a bit janky. I got to the village and was attacked by a bunch of Spanish farmers so I ran into a house to hide like a little bitch and I found a shotgun but then everyone swarmed me and these chainsaw dudes ripped my head off cause I didn't know where to go next. This game might be a bit too much for me :ohdear:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
RE4 was fantastic because the spanish farmers all look like my grandparents

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the only genuinely good thing about sonic 06 is the symbiote venom Shadow named Mephistopheles

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rarity posted:

I started playing ResEvil 4 and it's really offputting. The music's all creepy and the environment is bleak and the controls are a bit janky. I got to the village and was attacked by a bunch of Spanish farmers so I ran into a house to hide like a little bitch and I found a shotgun but then everyone swarmed me and these chainsaw dudes ripped my head off cause I didn't know where to go next. This game might be a bit too much for me :ohdear:

You can do it

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sonic 06 has a good soundtrack, at least.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Rarity posted:

Think of how powerful you'll feel when you crush them

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

the only genuinely good thing about sonic 06 is the symbiote venom Shadow named Mephistopheles

I can't fault this one 6 second scene at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9mX-h6bKAo

The music is also good but other than that there is nothing else really redeeming about the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I say again, the symbiote venom shadow named mephistopheles loving mercs sonic the hedgehog in one shot, and that is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCbqG372zZE&t=26s

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rarity posted:

Where's everyone going? Bingo?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i watched vampire's kiss last night and it was the most buckwild movie ive seen in a while

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Andrast posted:

You can do it

Relax Or DIE posted:

Think of how powerful you'll feel when you crush them

Thanks friends, I went back and took them all down although I hid from the chainsaw man cause he's a big meanie

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

At least play far enough to meet Mike

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

At least play far enough to meet Mike

That’s like 3/4 of the way through

But do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Worth mentioning that RE4 has a sliding difficulty scale, so if you get stuck on a section every time you try again it will get easier, both because you're learning the encounter better, and because there's math shifting around in the background making you stronger and enemies weaker. Conversely, if you're cruising through a chapter things get buffed up to compensate

• Locked thread