Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I have a very, very, very weird question.

So you know how people often ask what games are best to play with kids? I have the exact opposite problem. I've been slowly corrupting my parents up to the point where now they're seasoned board-gamers who chewed through Gloomhaven and all of the Pandemic Legacies like champs. I turned some 60+ year olds into god drat turbo nerds (with the help of my little sister ; with the quarantine we've been getting together and board-gaming/day drinking a lot).

Now they want me to run an RPG for them and I'm totally stumped. I'm not worried about the mechanics over-whelming them because, you know, they've played through all of Gloomhaven (although I wouldn't run like D&D or Shadowrun anyway just cause I don't like them), but I am worried about tone and genre. They were fine with Gloomhaven but in general more for the mechanics than the genre. My dad's an old-school sci-fi grog, but my mom isn't really into genre fiction.

I'm thinking something PbtA but I can't immediately come up with something that'd appeal to them. They also said they'd be down for Blades but I'm worried that'll either go really well or really badly.

tl ; dr : what's a good game for olds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Have you considered

The generic universal role playing system

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Given just what you've told us, maybe Lancer? It's sci-fi but not schlock, and the gameplay is close enough to boardgames that it'll give your parents something to bite into while they explore the RPG angle.

Beyond that it'll depend on what your parents are into and what you'd enjoy running.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Still gonna recommend the generic universal role playing system here but lancer is a good one

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Session zero ur parents

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I would honestly suggest sticking with your PBTA or Blades idea - in my (limited) experience, the fiction-first playstyle matches what people think RPGs are like from popular culture.

But if think the tactical aspect is most appealing, Lancer would bes pretty great as well.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

aldantefax posted:

Have you considered

The generic universal role playing system

More like geriatric universal role playing system :corsair:

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

What films and books do they like? I’d recommend picking a PbtA or Firebrands game set in that kind of setting, as it’s something they’re used to while giving a framework to play off.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It sounds like they'd be good with any system, mechanically speaking. You just need to find out what type of story or genre they want to play, or you want to run.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Xiahou Dun posted:

So you know how people often ask what games are best to play with kids? I have the exact opposite problem. I've been slowly corrupting my parents up to the point where now they're seasoned board-gamers who chewed through Gloomhaven and all of the Pandemic Legacies like champs. I turned some 60+ year olds into god drat turbo nerds (with the help of my little sister ; with the quarantine we've been getting together and board-gaming/day drinking a lot).

Now they want me to run an RPG for them and I'm totally stumped. I'm not worried about the mechanics over-whelming them because, you know, they've played through all of Gloomhaven (although I wouldn't run like D&D or Shadowrun anyway just cause I don't like them), but I am worried about tone and genre. They were fine with Gloomhaven but in general more for the mechanics than the genre. My dad's an old-school sci-fi grog, but my mom isn't really into genre fiction.

I'm thinking something PbtA but I can't immediately come up with something that'd appeal to them. They also said they'd be down for Blades but I'm worried that'll either go really well or really badly.

Depending on how "not into genre fiction" your mom is, it might be out as an option, but I'd suggest Traveller. I recently got into a game of Mongoose Traveller 2E and it's really fun! It's a nice sci fi game that adapts pretty well to all kinds of space adventurin'. The game hasn't really changed that much across editions, so if you really wanted to you could pick up an older book for the authentic old sci-fi grog experience, but MgT2E is a really good version of the game.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Tenik posted:

It sounds like they'd be good with any system, mechanically speaking. You just need to find out what type of story or genre they want to play, or you want to run.
This.

The other question is whether they want to create their own characters. If they're fine with using pregens, or telling you a concept and having you crunch the numbers and present them with a finished character sheet, that opens up a wider range of possibilities. Many complex systems are actually quite simple to play once you get past chargen.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
How come there are no games which expressly have music involved in its fictional context save for the inclusion of bards, I want player characters to have theme songs as part of their principal character design and that means something mechanically, but also same thing for antagonists

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

aldantefax posted:

How come there are no games which expressly have music involved in its fictional context save for the inclusion of bards, I want player characters to have theme songs as part of their principal character design and that means something mechanically, but also same thing for antagonists

one of the fanmade touhou rpgs had 'awesome theme song' as a merit you could take

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

aldantefax posted:

That's a very cool concept. What do you think the implementation might look like?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's not exactly what you're looking for but Fair Winds and Following Seas has a sea shanty as part of its mechanics.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

A sea shanty game. Well, that one's going directly to some friends with an obsession. Good find (I think? Haven't read it myself).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

That's a very cool concept. What do you think the implementation might look like?
All conflict resolution is based on searching for the most appropriate musical choice with the table voting on the winner

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Conflict resolution by going into a Guitar Center, playing your theme, and seeing who gets kicked out last.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Star Trek Adventures except instead of dice everyone gets a flute

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm gonna do it.

I'm gonna give everyone a recorder though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Monster of the Week one shot

The players are deep in Kentucky at an abandoned coal mine guarded by the skeletons of Pinkerton agents and the ghosts of Scab miners. The goal? Get to the bottom and destroy the lich phylactery before he can cause more damage than he already has.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Haven't played it, but I think https://buriedwithoutceremony.com/ribbon-drive involves creating a mix tape for the game?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
There's also an optional character-and-setting creation ruleset in Mage: The Awakening 2nd Edition that involves making a mixtape for your PCs, NPCs, and assorted relationships between them. And of course, epic music videos are an acceptable medium through which to essay your darkest immortal's backstory in Katanas & Trenchcoats, worthy of only slightly less Glory than epic poetry of great length.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

And games like High Strung and Rockalypse that are expressly about playing as musicians, whether in a literal band simulator as an adventuring group.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Unrelated but make a map out of a coffee

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

aldantefax posted:

A finger on the monkey's paw curls: https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/daeren/powerchords/

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Hey, just getting some opinions on a design thing. In Kazzam, there are two magical implements. (Actually there are 3, but the question is about these 2.)

quote:

If you have a X, your range is 5, and you add 1 damage to your attacks. When you make an attack with your X, you grant an Opportunity to everyone adjacent. Using an attack action with your X ends your turn.
If you have a Y, your range is 5, and you may take your attack action before your move action. If you hit an enemy with an attack from your Y on your turn, they may not take advantage of Opportunities against you for the rest of your turn.

So Ys are more versatile and make you more mobile and less vulnerable in melee than Xs, but Xs hit harder.

In your opinion, which is a wand and which is a staff?

Argument for wand = Y: staves are big and wands are light, so it makes sense that you'd be more mobile with a wand.
Argument for staff = Y: staves seem more defensive, so it makes sense that you'd make yourself less vulnerable in melee when using a staff.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Wand seems fine

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Both are sticks, just let people pick what kind of stick they want.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

X seems like a staff to me, and Y more like a wand.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yawgmoth posted:

Both are sticks, just let people pick what kind of stick they want.

:emptyquote:

If the fluff doesn't matter to the mechanics (which it doesn't if you're deciding whether to arbitrarily call one a staff and one a wand), then let the players decide.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Leraika posted:

:emptyquote:

If the fluff doesn't matter to the mechanics (which it doesn't if you're deciding whether to arbitrarily call one a staff and one a wand), then let the players decide.

There are other mechanics attached to implement choice depending on your class. Sword alchemists smear potions on their blades while staff alchemists hurl flasks of potions lacrosse-style over long distances, etc.

Reskinning is absolutely a thing in my games, so if a player wants to play with wand mechanics but say they have a lightweight staff or whatever, that's absolutely fine. But there does need to be a default for ease of use and new players and just to keep the text understandable.

Players are choosing to go melee, to go ranged power, or to go for a versatile ranged option that isn't afraid of melee. But unlike Strike, this game does have a default setting and default fluff for everything. So it's important to have some grounding for this choice in the fiction even if people can reskin into whatever.

So... which feels like which to you?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I have tried (semi-unsuccessfully) to get people to send me theme songs for their characters for one shots and the like and they can choose to play their theme song to get bonuses and/or automatically succeed at stuff. If I wanted to operationalize it into a core gameplay mechanic, I would probably use it as something that anybody can trigger when anybody else is doing something cool or recovering from a setback to go on to do something cooler.

Bonus points to develop:

- A theme song for the party
- A theme song for the game
- A recurring song that has multiple interpretations (see: James Bond, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc) to play as a music bed but also "intense" versions that change the rules parameters (everybody deals double damage this fight because it's playing the intense version of the song)
- Henshin music for if someone is about to go nova in a fight
- A "Next Time, On..." sizzle reel song that people contribute ideas for what's happening next game session

I dunno, stuff like that! I would almost certainly want to make it something that is more meaningfully represented instead of just playing Lord of the Rings generic OST while journeying and that has zero mechanical impact on a game though.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Basically I'm proposing making a game where it's an anime and you play through anime episodes including through opening and closing sequences:

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWZD9xLyYeM but in LANCER

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jimbozig posted:

There are other mechanics attached to implement choice depending on your class. Sword alchemists smear potions on their blades while staff alchemists hurl flasks of potions lacrosse-style over long distances, etc.

Reskinning is absolutely a thing in my games, so if a player wants to play with wand mechanics but say they have a lightweight staff or whatever, that's absolutely fine. But there does need to be a default for ease of use and new players and just to keep the text understandable.

Players are choosing to go melee, to go ranged power, or to go for a versatile ranged option that isn't afraid of melee. But unlike Strike, this game does have a default setting and default fluff for everything. So it's important to have some grounding for this choice in the fiction even if people can reskin into whatever.

Might help if you listed the third, for context.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Jimbozig posted:

It's, again, completely arbitrary, and I've found that saying 'this block of mechanics can only work for a staff and this block of mechanics only works for a wand' only turns off new players who have a specific concept in mind, even if you go 'oh but you can reskin to whatever you want' afterwards. There doesn't have to be a default! You could say 'boosting magic weapon' and 'mobile magic weapon' and get the same result.

Neither feels like a wand or a staff to me, and I suspect further conversation in this vein isn't going to be particularly helpful to anyone.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leraika posted:

It's, again, completely arbitrary, and I've found that saying 'this block of mechanics can only work for a staff and this block of mechanics only works for a wand' only turns off new players who have a specific concept in mind, even if you go 'oh but you can reskin to whatever you want' afterwards. There doesn't have to be a default! You could say 'boosting magic weapon' and 'mobile magic weapon' and get the same result.

Neither feels like a wand or a staff to me, and I suspect further conversation in this vein isn't going to be particularly helpful to anyone.
That's my issue too, none of these feel like one or the other so whatever gets assigned will be essentially arbitrary

When you make an attack with your X, you grant an Opportunity to everyone adjacent. <- this feels wandy
Using an attack action with your X ends your turn. <- this does not

you may take your attack action before your move action. <-this feels wandy
If you hit an enemy with an attack from your Y on your turn, they may not take advantage of Opportunities against you for the rest of your turn. <- this feels staffy

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

aldantefax posted:

Have you heard of Renasistance? "True Music" is an express tool in your rebellion against the oppressive structures you fight against in-game, and your choice of genre affects what your abilities can actually be. It's in development currently, but is very interesting already.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Splicer posted:

That's my issue too, none of these feel like one or the other so whatever gets assigned will be essentially arbitrary

When you make an attack with your X, you grant an Opportunity to everyone adjacent. <- this feels wandy
Using an attack action with your X ends your turn. <- this does not

you may take your attack action before your move action. <-this feels wandy
If you hit an enemy with an attack from your Y on your turn, they may not take advantage of Opportunities against you for the rest of your turn. <- this feels staffy

Yeah, this is kind of the thing that got me and my group talking. If I give the melee defense to the staff and the versatile movement to the wand, then extra damage on either end is not balanced. I might end up shuffling it like that. It's not just about coming up with mechanics that feel wandy and staffy, but also having them be balanced and fun. Having the sport be dynamic and exciting is more important to me than getting a perfect match to the fluff.

Like, I'm going for good gameplay, not simulating a magical world with exactitude.

The 3rd implement is swords, which are melee only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, just getting some opinions on a design thing. In Kazzam, there are two magical implements. (Actually there are 3, but the question is about these 2.)

I'm gonna step outside the mechanics for a sec. Does one of these (make you vulnerable to melee) feed into an already-existing vulnerability that mostly wizard types already avoid? Does one of these (make your enemy you hit suck) play into the Controller aspect of a wizard, while one (do +1 point of damage) only matter at low levels and probably not at all because 'do more damage' isn't in the Wizard's role anyway, they're more about making enemies suck?

These are all (bad) D&D tropes so I'm maybe way off base here, but I think it's more important than how big the piece of wood might be, or even what feels more like wandy vs. staffy. If I'm making a ranged attacker I'm already gonna be vulnerable to melee and doing tons of stuff to avoid being standing next to enemies, so the drawback doesn't matter to me most of the time; if I'm making a controller, I don't care about +1 damage I wanna make the enemies suck or more vulnerable to my allies or maybe shove them into the campfire.

Coming back to your actual question, if you must assign one set of bonuses/penalties to a flavor of implement, can you lever off of setting elements that aren't the same old tropes? In other words, in your Kazzam setting (is that a setting?) maybe some wizards cast spells via handheld mummified small animals with gems for eyes, and other wizards focus their powers through magic rocks that they have to juggle, while a third set of wizards zap baddies via fragile origami crafts.

Or something. This is personal but I'm sick to death of wizard staffs and even more sick to death of wands.

If your game is supposed to be setting-agnostic then it's a toughy because probably most settings that players try to use for this will be using the cliche'd implements too.