Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

mycophobia posted:

shortly after this i wandered around and found the varia which made me pog

Yeah I didn't play for several days right before that part and was completely and totally lost, thinking "at least I can go find some missile tanks or something" and learning I was actually stumbling the right way felt amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Harrow posted:

Went back and got 100% items before the final boss, game has some wild shinespark puzzles

My favorites are the one where you have to chain together multiple "shinespark into a ramp to rebuild your speed" moves, and the one where you launch yourself across three screens in morph ball form like a little samus bullet

My only complaint is that I had no idea that recapturing a shinespark was even possible (me=bad at earlier metroid shinesparking)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I beat experiment z-57 with 14 health left :staredog:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

got to the jungle aria after ferenia on my day off yesterday. i have three things i dont like:

1) bitch move to not give me power bombs if i get power bomb ammo
2) i wish there were more new powerups. the ones you do get are badass though
3) swinging between grapple points sucks and isnt intuitive (i realized the trick is to aim at the next spot, release the button, and instantly hit it without visual cues) but 100% of all metroid games have hosed this one up so fair enough

otherwise this game kicks insane rear end and all the boss fights are sick. it sticks the landing this is making my top tier for metroids

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

samus blapping kraid in the mouth before the boss fight because she's seen this poo poo before. absolutely perfect.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

got to the jungle aria after ferenia on my day off yesterday. i have three things i dont like:

1) bitch move to not give me power bombs if i get power bomb ammo
2) i wish there were more new powerups. the ones you do get are badass though
3) swinging between grapple points sucks and isnt intuitive (i realized the trick is to aim at the next spot, release the button, and instantly hit it without visual cues) but 100% of all metroid games have hosed this one up so fair enough

otherwise this game kicks insane rear end and all the boss fights are sick. it sticks the landing this is making my top tier for metroids

i'm only 30 mins in but these critiques are on the level, esp with the wack rear end grapple being a metroid staple. the new stuff so far is so sick, love a more action oriented metroid. could 22 be the zone's year of metroid??

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

felt kinda bad killing kraid seeing as he was being held prisoner

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I beat experiment z-57 with 14 health left :staredog:

did you shinespark into it for the instant kill

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

STONE COLD 64 posted:

No wtf

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

STONE COLD 64 posted:

:stare:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

holy poo poo

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Thought popped into my head at work and I need it more than anything:

Super Metroid Maker

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

felt kinda bad killing kraid seeing as he was being held prisoner

I felt elation upon defeating a vile foe. But you do you.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kongming posted:

I felt elation upon defeating a vile foe. But you do you.

This.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NienNunb posted:

Thought popped into my head at work and I need it more than anything:

Super Metroid Maker

people have wanted this and Zelda but they're way too complicated. People can barely make a fun 20 second Mario level, can you imagine trying to craft an entire Metroid map or Zelda overworld.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Finished the game, got 100% items. Dug my 3DS out of the drawer and bought Samus Returns. Metroid is good.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

The EMMI sections are cool as hell. This game rocks

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

Finished the game, got 100% items. Dug my 3DS out of the drawer and bought Samus Returns. Metroid is good.

Immediately played super, fusion, and zero mission after beating dread, and they rule!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

sourdough posted:

Immediately played super, fusion, and zero mission after beating dread, and they rule!

:hai:

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I played super Metroid with my 5 year old a month ago and between that and dread Hes now in love with the series. ZM next then fusion then prime IMO

copy
Jul 26, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

that part of the fight brought me right back to the battletoads game on gameboy and its version of the turbo tunnel. sinister poo poo lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Managed to brute force the underwater boss but I'm still not really sure about how to dodge one of his attacks. What are you supposed to do when he has a tentacle blocking the magnet pad on the ceiling and then whips you with his other tentacle on the ground level? I don't think you can duck under it with morph ball, and if there's a window for jumping over it then the timing is extremely tight and I never pulled it off. I only just barely beat him by spamming missiles through that section of the fight and draining the water ASAP but I had to tank that attack every time it came up.

edit: Also it could just be RNG but I noticed when I kept retrying over and over after dying to that attack, the boss would start doing it right at the beginning of the battle instead of shooting orbs for a while like normally. Seemed like it may have been some adaptive difficulty thing like "Practice this attack so you can figure out how to dodge it" which is pretty clever if true

goferchan fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 20, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

Managed to brute force the underwater boss but I'm still not really sure about how to dodge one of his attacks. What are you supposed to do when he has a tentacle blocking the magnet pad on the ceiling and then whips you with his other tentacle on the ground level? I don't think you can duck under it with morph ball, and if there's a window for jumping over it then the timing is extremely tight and I never pulled it off. I only just barely beat him by spamming missiles through that section of the fight and draining the water ASAP but I had to tank that attack every time it came up.

edit: Also it could just be RNG but I noticed when I kept retrying over and over after dying to that attack, the boss would start doing it right at the beginning of the battle instead of shooting orbs for a while like normally. Seemed like it may have been some adaptive difficulty thing like "Practice this attack so you can figure out how to dodge it" which is pretty clever if true

You can just jump over each swipe, once you get the timing down it's not bad

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

double chozo soldier fight is hosed up

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fungah! posted:

Do you have the storm missile? I don't remember if you have it by then. It absolutely fucks them up

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Harrow posted:

Do you have the storm missile? I don't remember if you have it by then. It absolutely fucks them up

yeah you just got it. thats how i beat them but drat, that was close

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

yeah you just got it. thats how i beat them but drat, that was close

I died to them a few times, put the game down for a couple days then came back and immediately kicked their asses lol. At least the arena is big and gives you lots of room to maneuver and obstruct their shots

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fungah! posted:

i got that fight first try but it was by the skin of my teeth

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
sort of general boss strategy spoilers most bosses can be pwned quickly with a shine spark, with a lot of them having conveniently long hallways leading into the fight or in the boss room. i felt like a god when i figured that out

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

heehee posted:

sort of general boss strategy spoilers most bosses can be pwned quickly with a shine spark, with a lot of them having conveniently long hallways leading into the fight or in the boss room. i felt like a god when i figured that out

i did figure that out from that thing sc64 posted but i want to kill them all with my beam cannon first time through

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
God drat, holding R constantly to prime the missile-lock makes my pinky and ring finger ache and cramp. (I am using my index finger to press the button on my pro-controller like a normal person)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MrQueasy posted:

God drat, holding R constantly to prime the missile-lock makes my pinky and ring finger ache and cramp. (I am using my index finger to press the button on my pro-controller like a normal person)

“ . . . “

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrQueasy posted:

Answer is simple. great Smash expert, Leffen is in town. have him remap your buttons and your hand will be better in no time.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

MrQueasy posted:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
the only issue i had with storm missiles was i kept thinking they fired on release of the r button like the charge shot and would forget to actually fire them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plank Walker posted:

the only issue i had with storm missiles was i kept thinking they fired on release of the r button like the charge shot and would forget to actually fire them

i keep fuckin doin that lol