Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

LG: I love only Fender guitars, Fender is life

also LG: Pfft bolt on? What are you a poor?

Anyway I like the idea of being able to disassemble a guitar and easily replace a neck if I need to. I don't need any more sustain, I'll just crank the gain or trempick the poo poo outta that note

maybe i am not someone who is completely sincere at all times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So I also like Fenders and I really enjoy playing my Meteora.

But I was watching this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sXS90f7pRI) on how to play a Kiss song and I noticed several of the comments complaining about how the instructor's Fender didn't sound right for the song. It did sound a little piercing to me, I'm not sure of what the official term for that is.

So if I got a Les Paul Style guitar to keep in Eb tuning for classic rock, what would be the way to go? Preferably total under $500.

Something like a Firefly with this https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/high-power/super-distortion in the bridge for that Ace Frehley sound?: Or has another budget brand taken that crown?

Or should I remind myself that my Fender is just fine and this is just GAS?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Shankel Magnus posted:

But I was watching this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sXS90f7pRI) on how to play a Kiss song and I noticed several of the comments complaining about how the instructor's Fender didn't sound right for the song. It did sound a little piercing to me, I'm not sure of what the official term for that is.

So if I got a Les Paul Style guitar to keep in Eb tuning for classic rock, what would be the way to go? Preferably total under $500.

Something like a Firefly with this https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/high-power/super-distortion in the bridge for that Ace Frehley sound?: Or has another budget brand taken that crown?

it's too piercing not because it's a fender, but because it's a single coil strat pickup

e: also it sounds to me like he's dialed in his amp or pedal to be pretty scoopy and the strat pickup as it is would honestly be a lot closer if he just turned the "mids" knob up and the "bass" knob down a little bit. but i digress.

landgrabber fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 22, 2022

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

landgrabber posted:

it's too piercing not because it's a fender, but because it's a single coil strat pickup

e: also it sounds to me like he's dialed in his amp or pedal to be pretty scoopy and the strat pickup as it is would honestly be a lot closer if he just turned the "mids" knob up and the "bass" knob down a little bit. but i digress.

Cool, that makes me feel alot better. Thanks for saving me a few bucks!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I don't mind necks being bolt on, but I hate the standard Fender style big rear end block of wood type of neck accesses. They should all be like my MJ Dinky imo.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Shankel Magnus posted:

I would say it's because he's using a single coil strat and his tone sounds like it was dialed in for sultans of swing vs any kiss song. The intro to that song sounds like it's on an acoustic 12 string, but this guy plays it on a clean strat in the 1 or 2 position (bridge or bridge+middle). The tone is completely wrong for the song.

Kiss guitar tones are notoriously humbuckers driven. Ace always plays a les Paul and Paul has his Ibanez ice man. Both humbucker guitars. They also generally play through high gain amps and rarely play clean. If they have a clean tone, it's not coming from a pearly bright strat and a silver face.

Even a humbucker in the bridge of the strat would make a world of difference, but a few eq adjustments and a different amp would probably make the biggest difference.

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009
Last week, I promised a trip report on my Squier upgrades in general, and specifically on the Mojotone solderless harness kit, so here goes:

Before -- Stock except for the compensated brass saddles:

Old control plate:

Output jack disassembly:

Bridge and pickguard off:

Stripped:

This would have been the perfect time to knock down some of the finish on the back of the neck, but I chickened out. Oddly, after completing the electronics, I think I changed my mind -- we'll see how ambitious I decide to get over the weekend.

Turns out I *didn't* have to fill'n'drill -- the control plate I bought lined up perfectly:

Old pickups removed from bridge & pickguard:

Parts bag filling up quickly:

New Pickups -- Fender Deluxe Drive -- The sections of surgical tubes are different lengths for bridge & neck, FYI:

First snag -- the pickups came with body-mount screws -- which were too long -- and the Squier pickguard-mount screws were the wrong diameter to fit:

After a trip to my local Ace Hardware:

Pickups in -- the bridge pickup ground (short blue wire) was almost TOO short -- but it worked. Not sure why Fender was stingy with the length of that one wire, I had plenty of room to work with all the others:

I was a little annoyed that the Fender mounting screws were flathead when Squier uses Phillips ... the absolute fidelity to what Leo used in 1952 is quite frankly, ridiculous.

Now for the part you've all been waiting for:

This right angle for the "tunnel" between the output jack rout and the control cavity forced me to come up with a creative solution for running the wires:

Kitchen twine, tied around a screw (for weight) dropped down from the cavity into the rout and ... voilà:

Worked like a charm:

Output jack reassembled -- the old one had a bushing and a plastic/rubber washer on the inside of the plate that didn't fit the new jack, but I think it'll be fine -- if not, I'll make another trip to the hardware store:

Wiring harness mounted to the new control plate -- I forgot to peel off the backing to the adhesive that sticks the solderless gadget to the control plate -- whoops:

All wired up and ready to go:

The new control plate was a slightly "fatter" radius than the old one, so I need to remove some material from the pickguard. I'm thinking maybe trace an arc, use a file followed by a razorblade to clean it up, followed by fine sandpaper? Any suggestions?

I plugged it in, touched a screwdriver to both pickups to make sure I was getting signal, then re-strung it -- BIG improvement once I was finally able to play it -- definitely a success!

After, back on the wall with the rest of the family:

brushwad fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 22, 2022

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
That’s a cool looking guitar, well done!

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

beautiful guitar, outstanding post

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009
Also, nice swag:

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Bought a Player Plus strat like 6 weeks ago and the bridge humbucker was DOA, Fender are taking their sweet rear end time fixing it. My first "nice" guitar too.

On the plus side, I'm beyond stoked with the tones I'm getting from the AC15 even with my cheapass telecaster. Driving it with a NUX Ace of Tone dual overdrive is giving me exactly the jangly sound I was hoping for. Clear articulated dirt with chimy overtones is heaven

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Been playing around with the two 3 Series JHS Reverb pedals I got cheap from the Amazon Warehouse for cheap.

Different beasts, different sounds, and I can see putting both on my board. The regular Reverb is more of a, uh, regular reverb pedal, and the Pre-Delay does do a mild echo/slap type thing. The Hall Reverb is something else, especially with the decay maxed out. Spacey, infinite reverb kinda thing, and a little of the shimmer thing with the Modulate switch on.

I'm also up to eight guitars sold in the last month, but I have three more on the way, BUT two of those are set to be fixed up and flipped. The third should be a keeper.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

brushwad posted:

Last week, I promised a trip report on my Squier upgrades in general, and specifically on the Mojotone solderless harness kit, so here goes:

Before -- Stock except for the compensated brass saddles:

Old control plate:

Output jack disassembly:

Bridge and pickguard off:

Stripped:

This would have been the perfect time to knock down some of the finish on the back of the neck, but I chickened out. Oddly, after completing the electronics, I think I changed my mind -- we'll see how ambitious I decide to get over the weekend.

Turns out I *didn't* have to fill'n'drill -- the control plate I bought lined up perfectly:

Old pickups removed from bridge & pickguard:

Parts bag filling up quickly:

New Pickups -- Fender Deluxe Drive -- The sections of surgical tubes are different lengths for bridge & neck, FYI:

First snag -- the pickups came with body-mount screws -- which were too long -- and the Squier pickguard-mount screws were the wrong diameter to fit:

After a trip to my local Ace Hardware:

Pickups in -- the bridge pickup ground (short blue wire) was almost TOO short -- but it worked. Not sure why Fender was stingy with the length of that one wire, I had plenty of room to work with all the others:

I was a little annoyed that the Fender mounting screws were flathead when Squier uses Phillips ... the absolute fidelity to what Leo used in 1952 is quite frankly, ridiculous.

Now for the part you've all been waiting for:

This right angle for the "tunnel" between the output jack rout and the control cavity forced me to come up with a creative solution for running the wires:

Kitchen twine, tied around a screw (for weight) dropped down from the cavity into the rout and ... voilà:

Worked like a charm:

Output jack reassembled -- the old one had a bushing and a plastic/rubber washer on the inside of the plate that didn't fit the new jack, but I think it'll be fine -- if not, I'll make another trip to the hardware store:

Wiring harness mounted to the new control plate -- I forgot to peel off the backing to the adhesive that sticks the solderless gadget to the control plate -- whoops:

All wired up and ready to go:

The new control plate was a slightly "fatter" radius than the old one, so I need to remove some material from the pickguard. I'm thinking maybe trace an arc, use a file followed by a razorblade to clean it up, followed by fine sandpaper? Any suggestions?

I plugged it in, touched a screwdriver to both pickups to make sure I was getting signal, then re-strung it -- BIG improvement once I was finally able to play it -- definitely a success!

After, back on the wall with the rest of the family:

all this work and you still put the plate on backwards

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

all this work and you still put the plate on backwards

Do you mean backwards as in "bottom-side-up?" or as in "it's cooler to have the 'flipped' volume-tone-switch arrangement?"

If it looks "bottom-side-up" in the final photo, I think that's an artifact of the plate being slightly proud of the body due to the pickguard issue I described -- I assure you, it's right-side-up -- promise.

The reversed arrangement was sadly out-of-stock, and with the limitations of the pre-wired harness, I didn't have enough wire slack to do that myself without a soldering iron. :(

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's a joke about a semi-secret setup for tele control plates where you flip them around and change the order of the pots so it goes volume, tone, switch.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Luna posted:

Not sure if you guys can help me here. I have a Jim Root jazzmaster body that I need to get a neck for. I really don't like the neck that comes with it and would like something closer to a charvel. The way the neck heel is rounded, I don't think I can order one off of Warmoth or where ever. Any advice on where I can look?

Where did you find that, I really want one but don't want to shell out for one :(

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's a joke about a semi-secret setup for tele control plates where you flip them around and change the order of the pots so it goes volume, tone, switch.

I'll learn to solder ... one of these days -- for now, I've got a better-sounding guitar -- it's something!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Spanish Manlove posted:

My contemporary Tele came like this from the factory, it’s neat.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

brushwad posted:

I'll learn to solder ... one of these days -- for now, I've got a better-sounding guitar -- it's something!

You don't have to solder anything for the change, just unscrew the pots from the plate and swap them.

Also this is yet another trick I've learned from watching Dan Erlewine

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

You don't have to solder anything for the change, just unscrew the pots from the plate and swap them.

the wire from the switch to the volume isn't long enough :(

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Wire length is definitely important and also you have to flip the switch direction too, or down will be neck and up will be bridge.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

omg

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Where did you find that, I really want one but don't want to shell out for one :(

One showed up on stratosphere a while back and I grabbed it. I've seen them randomly on ebay before but you really have to just keep an eye out. You can also go the aliexpress route if you're just looking to use it for parts.

I don't really follow jim root, but I've been wanting a HH hardtail Jazzmaster. There isn't a lot of selection so I'm going to frankenstein some parts together in an attempt to get what I want. It's also going to be my first refinishing project because I don't like the satin black.

My goal is to turn it in to a jazzmaster version of this charvel: https://charvel.com/gear/shape/so-cal/style-2/pro-mod-so-cal-style-2-24-hh-ht-cm/2966561527

Luna fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 23, 2022

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Ordered a new toy a few weeks ago that finally came in:

PRS S2 Custom 24. Definitely the sweetest and nicest guitar I have ever played on. Plays like an absolute dream.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 24, 2022

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Tenchrono posted:

Ordered a new toy a few weeks ago that finally came in:

PRS S2 Custom 24. Definitely the sweetest and nicest guitar I have ever played on. Plays like an absolute dream.

Nice, the S2 models are generally great. I believe your model (and maybe most of the other S2 models except for the 594, unless I'm mistaken) has the Pattern Regular neck profile, which is my favourite neck profile that I've ever played on. Any time I pick up my S2 Vela, it just feels so right.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
You have made me GAS for a green guitar. Guy I met in '89 introduced me to a very similar PRS around '91 but the green was closer to evergreen. Saw your new fiddle and remembered how much I liked that guitar (which was easy to forget because the guy sold it to make a generic Music Man EVH copy, which was nice but not close to the PRS.) Green and silver go really nicely together and when you add in some maple I get british racing car+camel vibes.

What are the pickups and how do you like them, if I may ask?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Luna posted:

One showed up on stratosphere a while back and I grabbed it. I've seen them randomly on ebay before but you really have to just keep an eye out. You can also go the aliexpress route if you're just looking to use it for parts.

I don't really follow jim root, but I've been wanting a HH hardtail Jazzmaster. There isn't a lot of selection so I'm going to frankenstein some parts together in an attempt to get what I want. It's also going to be my first refinishing project because I don't like the satin black.

My goal is to turn it in to a jazzmaster version of this charvel: https://charvel.com/gear/shape/so-cal/style-2/pro-mod-so-cal-style-2-24-hh-ht-cm/2966561527

Nice that looks like a blast, the whole 'hotrod just a volume pot' thing kind of gets me, but then at the same time especially with the Root signature tele, I feel like paying big bucks for less controls is just weird. Have fun with your project!

e; oh hey there's one on ebay unfinished with no electronics for 350 bucks shipped right now.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

https://voca.ro/1hL05HeH6kbl

I made this using the Helix floors synth generators, pitch echo, tape modulation and looper

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Shankel Magnus posted:

Find a used epiphone 1960 tribute plus. Good hardware, switchcraft/cts electronics, USA Gibson pickups, can be found under $500. One of the best poor man LPs you can get.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 24, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

at a fun place right now with my playing where i have learned a lot of barre shapes and how they work, and now i’m really into things like… close position triads, and using our familiar open shapes in interesting ways. figuring out what i can do by just lifting a finger or moving it up or down a fret. and realizing that our open shapes are actually just two triads stacked on top of each other (though one or two may be inverted).

i do feel like i’m getting to the next “level”. i used to kind of wonder how people built guitar parts out of more than just lead or power/barre chords, and now i feel like i’m getting there.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
LG have you tried much classical guitar?
Transcriptions of stuff like Lacrimosa helped me with learning chords on the higher strings.

Unrelated but kinda related, I'm abroad with no guitar and Bernth's videos are helping keep me sane, can't wait to try some of these with a guitar in hand as I haven't watched his stuff in a while.
Even though he's primarily a metal player a lot of his videos, particularly the ones with a more theory slant are really good.
And his Austrian accent is soothing.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

NonzeroCircle posted:

LG have you tried much classical guitar?
Transcriptions of stuff like Lacrimosa helped me with learning chords on the higher strings.

no, i don't have a classical guitar. i like it as a texture a lot actually, i'd like to own one, but it just hasn't come up.

i also haven't run across classical guitar in any of my studies of orchestrated music. i'm sure i'd like it, just not really sure where to start.

i know someone in here mentioned a classical piece that involved playing more than once voice at the same time, which is really really interesting to me, as a voice leading loving dork

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I've been working on learning Yenne Lee's arrangement of "The Water is Wide" since January. (Transcript and video of Lee playing the song are at that link.) It's my first full-length song. I finally got a decent recording of myself playing it, just one hiccup at the very end, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with this performance. It's really hard to play four minutes without mistakes!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP43TeVuFOc

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I really struggle to play acoustics, I can never find a comfortable way of holding them and after so long playing electrics the stumpy necks always throw me. The right arm position also is really hard for me to get comfy with.

In terms of voicing etc, classical or classical inspired pieces seem to have quite a variety of different chord inversions and also in playing 'multiple parts' at once.
There will be a fair amount of either fingerpicking or hybrid picking required, and I'm far from a master at either however I find its one of those things that a little dabble in every now and then can be really inspiring and spark a lot of ideas.

And the Melodic Minor scale is really fun and scratches a lot of voiceleading itches

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Well I wasn't planning on sharing this here because of the ridiculous factor, but here's my latest, an acoustic that you can pretend is electric:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

massive spider posted:

https://voca.ro/1hL05HeH6kbl

I made this using the Helix floors synth generators, pitch echo, tape modulation and looper

This is cool. It makes me want to mess around with experimental sounds more.

ColdPie posted:

I've been working on learning Yenne Lee's arrangement of "The Water is Wide" since January. (Transcript and video of Lee playing the song are at that link.) It's my first full-length song. I finally got a decent recording of myself playing it, just one hiccup at the very end, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with this performance. It's really hard to play four minutes without mistakes!!!

I also really enjoyed this. Good work, and honestly I don't know that I heard your "hiccup" at all.

Tad Naff posted:

Well I wasn't planning on sharing this here because of the ridiculous factor, but here's my latest, an acoustic that you can pretend is electric:

I'm glad you did. That thing is badass.

landgrabber posted:

no, i don't have a classical guitar. i like it as a texture a lot actually, i'd like to own one, but it just hasn't come up.

i also haven't run across classical guitar in any of my studies of orchestrated music. i'm sure i'd like it, just not really sure where to start.

i know someone in here mentioned a classical piece that involved playing more than once voice at the same time, which is really really interesting to me, as a voice leading loving dork

LG, I think you might find the voice leading you like in a lot of classical guitar pieces. Maybe a good starting point there would be some Bach, say maybe Bourée or Air if you're feeling really ambitious. I'd definitely pick up a collection of some sort if you're at all curious about classical guitar. La Catedral by Barrios is another piece I will recommend to anyone. Don't let the last part intimidate you too much. It's fun to play slow too. Don't let not having a classical guitar stop you either. It's not a requirement.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 24, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tad Naff posted:

this is so weird, I love it
does it sound any good?

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

ColdPie posted:

wow! this is great! i'm a big fan of yenne and her arrangements, i saw her play in philly a few years ago. she was phenomenal. you did an excellent job with the piece! well done

landgrabber posted:

at a fun place right now with my playing where i have learned a lot of barre shapes and how they work, and now i’m really into things like… close position triads, and using our familiar open shapes in interesting ways. figuring out what i can do by just lifting a finger or moving it up or down a fret. and realizing that our open shapes are actually just two triads stacked on top of each other (though one or two may be inverted).

i do feel like i’m getting to the next “level”. i used to kind of wonder how people built guitar parts out of more than just lead or power/barre chords, and now i feel like i’m getting there.

being able to dance around with triads looks like magic to people, you can do so much with it

nitsuga posted:

LG, I think you might find the voice leading you like in a lot of classical guitar pieces. Maybe a good starting point there would be some Bach, say maybe Bourée or Air if you're feeling really ambitious. I'd definitely pick up a collection of some sort if you're at all curious about classical guitar. La Catedral by Barrios is another piece I will recommend to anyone. Don't let the last part intimidate you too much. It's fun to play slow too. Don't let not having a classical guitar stop you either. It's not a requirement.

oooh, i wouldn't have ever expected to even attempt La Catedral without a lot more practice...maybe i'll check it out! the middle slow movement is my favorite part!

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

this is so weird, I love it
does it sound any good?

It sounds all right now, but when it arrived the nut was cut too deep so the low E was crazy buzzing, and the bridge was installed backwards (so it compensated the A and D). For an Ali guitar, that sort of thing is expected though. It's a parlor so not very loud but that's fine for my use case. And, get this, it's actually pretty comfortable, something I wasn't expecting given my experience with another electric explorer-type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

a.p. dent posted:

oooh, i wouldn't have ever expected to even attempt La Catedral without a lot more practice...maybe i'll check it out! the middle slow movement is my favorite part!

I won’t say it’s easy, but please give it a try. The prelude is another good piece to hone your skills on: https://classicalguitarmagazine.com/method-mastering-barrios-arpeggios-and-more-with-prelude-to-la-catedral/