Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

also imagine that you live in the Li'l Abner Mobile Home Park

i got a Li'l Abner right here for u oP! :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

turn off the TV posted:

Looking at the grid around the bridge I don't understand why. The entire point of the grid and hierarchy that area uses is that motorists can choose to use a number of different arterial roads to get to their destinations. If they're doing a potentially dangerous step of construction then temporarily closing the road would be at most minorly inconvenient for drivers, especially since they could choose to do it during off peak traffic hours in the mid morning or mid afternoon.

They detour stuff here all the time because of construction work. It's hugely inconvenient in the city when they do it for weeks/months at a time because many of the streets in the city are one way, but it still happens on a regular basis. It seems like they could have just worn the inconvenience for the short period it would have taken to complete this bridge properly.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Looking at it a little closer, I was wrong, there's fall protection system in place up there, complete with a harness and a lanyard still attached to the line

So at least one poor motherfucker was standing on that thing when it dropped

e: That's probably why the green boom lift is still in the raised position with nobody in it in the post-accident photos, they weren't working from it, they used it like an elevator to get up there and stepped off

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Nerses IV posted:

Looking at it a little closer, I was wrong, there's fall protection system in place up there, complete with a harness and a lanyard still attached to the line

So at least one poor motherfucker was standing on that thing when it dropped

yeah captain big helmet said the first casualties they got to were the people on top of the pile

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm just glad we finally found the man to end Dark Helmet's reign of terror.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

to be fair the bridge was only tested against Category 5 hurricanes, and not having 10 americans walk across it at once

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
it would suck if you were trapped under a fallen bridge and some fat volunteer fireman jumped on top of the heap of garbage on your head to rescue some dude

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Chinatown posted:

pretty sure if you are from the UK you arent allowed to dunk on any other 1st world countries

but can we make fun of the USA??

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If a crane dropping a toolbox on a bridge caused the bridge to collapse, I daresay that bridge was not long for this world anyway. Especially once it had 400 pound college students trundling across.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Hammerite posted:

but can we make fun of the USA??

we saved your rear end in ww2 m8

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lolie posted:

They detour stuff here all the time because of construction work. It's hugely inconvenient in the city when they do it for weeks/months at a time because many of the streets in the city are one way, but it still happens on a regular basis. It seems like they could have just worn the inconvenience for the short period it would have taken to complete this bridge properly.

In this case the road staying open was probably because McDonalds would have been mildly harder for people to get to.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
AvE did a video about the bridge

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Fox is saying its an active homicide investigation. I dont really see how. I guess maybe they think that claw didnt open accidentaly on the crane.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

DogonCrook posted:

Fox is saying its an active homicide investigation. I dont really see how. I guess maybe they think that claw didnt open accidentaly on the crane.

Negligent or reckless homicide.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
how can they charge the bridge its dead

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Conch Shell Corp posted:

to be fair the bridge was only tested against Category 5 hurricanes, and not having 10 americans walk across it at once

lol, you think Americans can walk.

Then again, it would be a sweet Rascal Ramp to drive across.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They just interviewed some dude on tv who was riding with a girl when the bridge fell on their car. From the sounds of it, she got insta-gibbed. Brutal.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
mandatory background checks for all bridges IMO

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

DogonCrook posted:

We were questioning the nationality of the steel, but did we ever think to what kind of people were building the bridge? Could have been an ISIS crane. :tinfoil:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Panzeh worked for a pretty cool company.

quote:

Figg was fined $28,000 by the Virginia Department of Labor and Industry, which found the company had violated several safety rules. It had failed to gain written consent from a manufacturer before modifying a girder used in construction. The company was also cited for not doing daily, weekly, and monthly inspections of the girder; not providing adequate training for using the equipment; and not having certain safety procedures in place for its maintenance and repair, according to the Virginian-Pilot.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

turn off the TV posted:

Panzeh worked for a pretty cool company.

That's not who i worked for lol

In a job like this there's a ton of companies involved, my man.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Panzeh posted:

That's not who i worked for lol

In a job like this there's a ton of companies involved, my man.

oh my bad

quote:

Munilla faced a lawsuit in a Miami court earlier this month that accused the company of building a "makeshift bridge" at an airport that injured one airport worker when it ruptured on Oct. 20, 2016, according to the report.

The worker was severely injured by his fall from the heavily trafficked bridge.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Panzeh did you design that bridge too

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
panzeh could you give us a full list of bridges you've hosed up (designed) so we know which ones to avoid???

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
if i actually designed bridges i'd be way richer than i am atm, i just did details for a supplier on that bridge

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nerses IV posted:

I like Europe because it has all these stringent regulations and stuff that they can smugly cite in internet arguments, but no real means of actually enforcing them so everybody that has to abide by them just constantly lies lol

Eh, this very much depends on the country. The UK has always had lovely construction quality compared to the likes of Germany/Austria/Switzerland. UK is more similar to the US in terms of "everything is constructed shoddily".

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 17, 2018

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Panzeh posted:

if i actually designed bridges i'd be way richer than i am atm, i just did details for a supplier on that bridge

maybe next time try and focus on the detail of making it not collapse

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They should have dug a tunnel.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Oh wow Panzeh did you kill someone?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Oh wow Panzeh did you kill someone?

Several someones, actually

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

goatface posted:

They should have dug a tunnel.

I'd like to see the risk assessment for tunnel collapse vs bridge collapse.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Lolie posted:

I'd like to see the risk assessment for tunnel collapse vs bridge collapse.

Well they would have to take into account Florida flooding quite a bit as well, so tunnel may not be all that effective.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You just put an air pocket in the middle and an air pump to top it up.

Swimming is v healthy.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zil posted:

Well they would have to take into account Florida flooding quite a bit as well, so tunnel may not be all that effective.

On the other hand tunnels don't collapse onto busy intersections and a tunnel would provide a valuable learning experience for interacting with alligators.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
they should have built a large mound and then put a tunnel through that

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You can't even have a basement in Florida. A tunnel... lol

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Cant believe panzeh was responsible for loving up the design of the bridge that killed a dozen people :(

Someone should do something

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I believe that the proper solution here would be to build a pedestrian bridge but also build the structural supports before putting the walkway up.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

turn off the TV posted:

I believe that the proper solution here would be to build a pedestrian bridge but also build the structural supports before putting the walkway up.

This sounds awfully close to...regulations :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just make the tunnel a sealed pneumatic tube system with little capsules. Like a real lovely hyperloop.

• Locked thread