Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Finndo posted:

I agree with you on the first point. For the second point, it looked like there was an actual potential new player and he was being given completely skewed, negative information from the people in the first category. That's why I posted, anyway -- I'd like to see new players come into the game.

I wasn't directing it at you. I've been playing this game from day 1 and lurk here from time to time for both entertainment at work and the occasional real post. It was more of a generalization and again not directed at your post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Bridgeburner_ posted:

*tiptiptiptitptip*

Is that more around your level? laffo

lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Gonna repost this for the next page.

himurak posted:

Let me cause some more crying. Games still fun, cash grab isn't real, people who should have been permabanned still blocked. East guild still not recruiting.

lol its cute when people think they are relevant

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Also I don't know why the people who obviously hate this game are trying so hard to make the people who like this game miserable and I don't know why the people who like this game feel like they need to defend the games honor from the people who just want to stay in the thread to poo poo on its chest.

Nobody hates this game, as far as I can tell. Its a bad game. I play lots of bad games and post about them. I don't see the issue? Like, I've been involved in this game since a bit before launch. I'm going to post in Archeage threads till there isn't an Archeage thread anymore. You're stuck with me. And it isn't that I'm some troll out for epic lulz or whatever. When the game came out I was one of the idiots that bought a banner ad on SA to advertise the guild. Doesn't change the fact that its a bad game.

Finndo posted:

I agree with you on the first point. For the second point, it looked like there was an actual potential new player and he was being given completely skewed, negative information from the people in the first category. That's why I posted, anyway -- I'd like to see new players come into the game.

I literally just told the truth while you were hemming and hawing about what benefits you get, which had nothing to do with the real question.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

himurak posted:

Let me cause some more crying. Games still fun, cash grab isn't real, people who should have been permabanned still blocked. East guild still not recruiting.

lol haters just got owned!!!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I still want to like this game, waiting for any sign that Trion actually gives two shits and at least hints at moving in the right direction. Also can't loving do trade routes because I keep getting disconnected randomly and even if that doesn't get me there's still people running all over using the dance exploit to get your stuff.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
I don't hate the game, but the game is bad enough at the endgame for me not to play it other than a hour a week or so

You want to know a game that has been around for a long time and has things that REQUIRED player infusion of realcash into the economy for it's first two years, yet still did well and was fun to play no matter how much you spent?

Spiral Knights.
Energy is bought with money and traded on a money market (kind of like how Apex is bought/sold on the AH)

When it launched, you got 100 mist energy (untradable) over 2 hours, that energy is used to go through the levels.
You then waited to the next day or spend your crowns (ingame currency) on more energy from the energy market. (usually T2 or T3, a single run will get you enough crowns to buy 100 energy, so it's net profit like 10-20 energy per run if you constantly played)
Buying energy wasn't required for this, BUT once you reached T2-3 equipment, you were leveraging playing with crafting your sweetass gear.
Highest tier gear required you to get Crystal Energy this way due to the higher energy costs. (100 was your limit for mist, kind of how labor maxes at 2k/5k)

It was reasonable because if you're going to play that much, someone should be paying to keep the servers up.

They updated a year and a half ago, did away with the Mist/Crystal energy difference. You can play as much as you want and just farm up mats that are needed for crafting. Energy is used for:
Unbinding crafted equipment so you can sell on the AH
Making guilds
Opening funrooms

Probably other stuff too, I haven't played much since 2012.
Anyway, the game survived for a few years under a "someone has to put it on the market, and thus someone is spending money", now it's "Someone spends money for convenience, we're still getting money"
Still a fun game, just there isn't much endgame other than getting neato outfits or getting paymoney stuff like lockboxes and keys, or farming up crowns to buy the keys off the AH to a hardmode of a couple dungeons

Also some dumb nerds love to trade SK poo poo for TF2 items still. So Steam Inventory is pretty cool. (if you play TF2, it's a good "not TF2" to play for an hour at a time)
Music is pretty good
Recent update is all about new guns and gun balancing (last major update was that one about energy. Three Rings doesn't update much)

I'm still an officer in the guild, but not making a thread cus no real reason to unless enough people are interested in a game that never really updates

ThndrShk2k fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 9, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finndo posted:

I'm gonna download this tonight before bed and will play tomorrow.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Hahaha, what the gently caress Archeage? Even SWTOR, one of the most infamously stingy "gently caress the poors" F2P models out there still gave people who chose to subscribe a nice stipend that let them buy goodies from the cash shop reasonably.

The irony here to me is that when I finally decided to give up trying to have fun in AA, I was so burnt on it that I basically went "okay, so gently caress sandboxes, I want a MMO to play that I can log in, find something reasonably fun to do within 5 minutes, do it for like an hour or two. If it is NOT some kind of high fantasy poo poo that's a plus".

Whiiiiich... is pretty much SWTOR. So I went back, and with expansion 2 now kicking, there's a bunch of stuff to do and the cash shop has gotten pretty tolerable with time, moreso if you're willing to throw down some bucks for a sub instead.

This is it. This is the game that made me happy to return to SWTOR. :negative:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zizi posted:

The irony here to me is that when I finally decided to give up trying to have fun in AA, I was so burnt on it that I basically went "okay, so gently caress sandboxes, I want a MMO to play that I can log in, find something reasonably fun to do within 5 minutes, do it for like an hour or two. If it is NOT some kind of high fantasy poo poo that's a plus".

Whiiiiich... is pretty much SWTOR. So I went back, and with expansion 2 now kicking, there's a bunch of stuff to do and the cash shop has gotten pretty tolerable with time, moreso if you're willing to throw down some bucks for a sub instead.

This is it. This is the game that made me happy to return to SWTOR. :negative:

SWTOR is easily one of the best MMORPGs right now. Like in the top 5 best MMOs, and completely underrated because the launch was so bad, and the cash shop to those who don't understand how it works, looks terrible, causing them to avoid the game.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

I said come in! posted:

SWTOR is easily one of the best MMORPGs right now. Like in the top 5 best MMOs, and completely underrated because the launch was so bad, and the cash shop to those who don't understand how it works, looks terrible, causing them to avoid the game.

Well, and some of the core game features Bioware was leaning heavily on and hyping hardcore just didn't pan out like they wanted. Which is still an issue but the game's improved so much overall that it's not a really big deal anymore. Endgame content has probably been historically the biggest flaw, but that's come together a lot over time, so...

EDIT: Also there's a bunch of active chillax goons having fun there, so that puts it loads above AA alone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zizi posted:

Well, and some of the core game features Bioware was leaning heavily on and hyping hardcore just didn't pan out like they wanted. Which is still an issue but the game's improved so much overall that it's not a really big deal anymore. Endgame content has probably been historically the biggest flaw, but that's come together a lot over time, so...

EDIT: Also there's a bunch of active chillax goons having fun there, so that puts it loads above AA alone.

For sure! I played a lot of SWTOR over the summer with goons and it was a lot of fun. We raided a couple times a week and did a lot of content together. It was drama free and chill.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've actually been playing SWTOR on and off with my wife, its actually pretty fun now

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I don't hate the game, I hate Trion. They used to be pretty reputable in the MMO community so I trusted them. There's absolutely no way they didn't know that this was a broken game that was going to be hacked into oblivion the moment it went live in America, and they didn't care because they knew it would be a fast way to make millions without even having to be the developer. Well that formerly good reputation has been tarnished by ArcheAge and I hope it hits them in the wallet with future releases.

edit: I feel like I should check out SWTOR again once I need a break from WoW, given that it was the only other MMO that got me for $150 just for the game (bought the collector's edition). Also because I don't really even remember why I quit. It was probably the typical mass exodus after the free month and I got bored.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 9, 2014

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
What server in SWTOR are goons playing on?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tempus Thales posted:

What server in SWTOR are goons playing on?

Jedi Covenant I think, check the thread before acting on that though. Also the goon presence is basically Imperial side only, so don't make a Republic character if you want to play with goons.

It's hilarious that Archeage monetary model is so lovely that it makes SWTOR seem attractive. It's an all right game though, so if anyone burned from Archeage still has it in their head to play an MMO you could do worse.

... I think that's the closest to an endorsement that I've ever given an MMO.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 9, 2014

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

You don't need to play ToR as an MMO, though. If you happen to like Bioware RPGs, you can just play it as one of those that just happens to have a bunch of other people running around. It was the proto-Inquisition, even.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
You know there is probably another thread to talk about SWTOR. Get out of my Archeage thread with your not Archeage talk. Can we get some actual moderation here there really is no excuse at this point.

Archeage talk: Red Dragon is due out soon anyone planning on tackling that on release?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

himurak posted:

You know there is probably another thread to talk about SWTOR. Get out of my Archeage thread with your not Archeage talk. Can we get some actual moderation here there really is no excuse at this point.

Archeage talk: Red Dragon is due out soon anyone planning on tackling that on release?

Oh calm down you big baby. It's a minor derail that's been going on for less than half a page and it's about a related product so it's not even a true derail. Maybe if you had something more interesting to say than "hey anyone gonna do a dungeon" or whatever the hell Red Dragon is you'd be more justified in complaining. You keep whining about lack of discussion and yet you contribute next to nothing yourself.

Archeage: There really is no excuse at this point.

Malseth
Aug 18, 2008
Fun Shoe

himurak posted:

Eonwe posted:

lol its cute when people think they are relevant

LunaDeus
Jul 5, 2014

himurak posted:

Did you end up letting umbreon into whatever east guild you guys made?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

himurak posted:

counterpoint: shut the gently caress up and keep pretending you have us on ignore

either provide actual Archeage content in your posts or deal with it

new title please

eonwe fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 9, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Im Himurak. Let me cause more crying with my bad troll attempt. Now I'm going to cry about the lack of Archeage posts that I'm also contributing to.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Chomp8645 posted:

whatever the hell Red Dragon is

It's a land-worldboss. Like the Kraken, but you don't need a boat. So basically another fountain of Archeage guild drama.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Morglon posted:

I still want to like this game, waiting for any sign that Trion actually gives two shits and at least hints at moving in the right direction. Also can't loving do trade routes because I keep getting disconnected randomly and even if that doesn't get me there's still people running all over using the dance exploit to get your stuff.

Trion has regularly auto-banned people, waited a week to tell them that their ban has been reviewed and is permanent, and then nearly a week later, send another automated message saying that they have tweaked their banning process and your account is reinstanted, here's a few days of patron, sorry! This in a game where the main benefit of patron was land ownership, and you had to pay taxes in a specific amount of time.

I doubt Trions is going to care very hard about this game at all. It'll run on a few servers and make money from people that like spending money, and they'll keep it up as long as it makes money with no effort.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Schubalts posted:

It's a land-worldboss. Like the Kraken, but you don't need a boat. So basically another fountain of Archeage guild drama.

Are they just releasing it on it's own without any kind of accompanying update? Kind of strange.

But yeah if it's like the Kraken I very much doubt it will be anything but a drama source for most people. Certainly not going to be a target of goons anytime soon. Although I can't speak for the ~elite fur squad~ of the East guild (still not recruiting).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Eonwe posted:

new title please

This is the title this game needs and deserves.

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

Trion used to be a drat good company during Rift days. Once they went free to play it all went to hell though. Content dried up or was straight up rehashed and actual best gear was either sold on the cash shop or locked behind cash shop related items. That combined with a broken as hell korean MMO is not a hopeful prospect. It shouldn't stop people from trying it, because there are some fun aspects to it and it is free, but it's only fair for people to post about the bad parts of the game. At least that way we may avoid any more posts about hundreds of dollars wasted on this game from people that didn't know better.

And we really need that title. Everything anyone needs to know about the game at the moment.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Chomp8645 posted:

Are they just releasing it on it's own without any kind of accompanying update? Kind of strange.

But yeah if it's like the Kraken I very much doubt it will be anything but a drama source for most people. Certainly not going to be a target of goons anytime soon. Although I can't speak for the ~elite fur squad~ of the East guild (still not recruiting).

It looks like Trion is putting it and a new dungeon out along with the Christmas event's patch. I think it did get released by itself in Korea, but they didn't have the piecemeal patches that Trion puts out, and I think the cap was level 55 at the time.

You actually have to do a mini-quest to summon the dragon in the first place. Craft an item using drops from 3 boss monsters around the area. Nui Tears were a component, so I don't know what it will need now. The dragon itself apparently has at least 1 million health, and drops things that are used to craft costumes and jewelry.

The dragon can also fly around, being a winged dragon and all, and reports say that it can lose interest in you like a Skyrim dragon and just gently caress off over the countryside to torch everything.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tairon posted:

Trion used to be a drat good company during Rift days. Once they went free to play it all went to hell though. Content dried up or was straight up rehashed and actual best gear was either sold on the cash shop or locked behind cash shop related items. That combined with a broken as hell korean MMO is not a hopeful prospect. It shouldn't stop people from trying it, because there are some fun aspects to it and it is free, but it's only fair for people to post about the bad parts of the game. At least that way we may avoid any more posts about hundreds of dollars wasted on this game from people that didn't know better.

And we really need that title. Everything anyone needs to know about the game at the moment.

If you go into it hyped that it is going to be great and is totally worth buying the $150 start park wow wow wow I am so hype! Then you are going to become a bitter shell of a man.

If you go into it not expecting much but having a look around and maybe dropping $15 for the first month of patron, then you may have an okay time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, if any new people are reading this and you want to grief people and paying nothing, or pay $15 just to get yourself going. Its worth it. But its a fundamentally broken and bad game and you should never support them monetarily if you can help it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Finndo posted:

It's funny that it seems like I am defending Trion because I really dislike the way the company handled this rollout for a lot of reasons, but their cash shop isn't one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhz9OXy86a0

Please watch this so that you understand why what XLgames and trion did is detrimental to the game, the players, and continuing the trend that is the root cause of why F2P games have a bad reputation.

Eonwe posted:

Yeah, if any new people are reading this and you want to grief people and paying nothing, or pay $15 just to get yourself going. Its worth it. But its a fundamentally broken and bad game and you should never support them monetarily if you can help it.

If you want to grief people then play eve. There have been newbies that joined GSF and on day one they managed to scam a small fortune out of pubbies and then buy expensive ships and get them blown up ratting. If what you want to do is make people angry at you, there's pretty much nothing better.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Just when I think this thread is dead, you guys and gals give it some life and bring a smile to my face.

For content, I am still having plenty of fun in Archeage, mostly because of the people I play with. I absolutely HATE the RNG leveling system more than any of the issues others have mentioned. I want to punch a Korean every time I fail a regrade or end up with a piece of non-upgradeable armor.

I also hate my fun being limited by labor, but that's a seperate internet tantrum best saved for another time.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Speaking of failing regrades, lets open up that can of worms called eastern games.

I'm playing gundam online right now, a japenese game.

You gamble real money or in game money for a chance at a suit. You can have 4 suits in a load out.

The suit has one of three modules on it, which is random.

The suit can be gold or silver, where one can have 30 upgrades and the other 20.

The upgrades for items and the suit have a chance to be normal, a crit success, or a crit failure where you just don't get as much.

Each gambling machine that suits come from have more than one suit in them.

If you get the suit you want, it might be silver or gold, and if you build it, it might have the module you want, then as you upgrade it, you may fail more often than not. Getting a perfect suit is rather hard and a horrible suit rather easy.

So you got a gambling video game where people, to be better than other people, throw real money at the game and have only slim chances of being better stat wise.

Thankfully the game is balanced where those better suits cost more tickets and losing them means a whole lot more than a f2p player losing a bunch of weenie suits.

This is the kind of stuff you have to be able to put up with for most eastern mmos. A lot of eastern cultures have a strong belief in luck and being favored by luck. Someone who has better stuff than you is either lucky in life or lucky in game and if you are not lucky, too bad.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
that's a lot of words to say anime games emulate gambling addictions

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013
IT HAPPENED TO ME AGAIN

I lost around 1k due to the TS market crash and now I lost like 700g because they reactivated APEX before I managed to unload my stockpile.

TRION

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

kznlol posted:

IT HAPPENED TO ME AGAIN

I lost around 1k due to the TS market crash and now I lost like 700g because they reactivated APEX before I managed to unload my stockpile.

TRION

The good news is that gold isn't worth much anymore anyway.

tatersyum
Feb 12, 2006

kznlol posted:

IT HAPPENED TO ME AGAIN

TRION

fc scum right here!

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

kznlol posted:

IT HAPPENED TO ME AGAIN

TRION

Like all investment schemes, it is usually best to diversify.

As Wu-Tang Financial says, "Diversify your bonds, bitch".

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Could someone explain the whole Forestcrow thing? My assumption was it was some sort of faux-clever goon plan to create a fake enemy guild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Finndo posted:

Could someone explain the whole Forestcrow thing? My assumption was it was some sort of faux-clever goon plan to create a fake enemy guild.

Nah, just a east guild comprised of a lot of alpha players and some hangers on, mostly carried by one guy though.

• Locked thread