Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Today was good for merciless labyrinth, couple of hidden darkshrines with "keeper of jewels" and got up to 12 rare jewels in a single run, potential for decent money if your lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Awesome! posted:

thats all i did and people have been buying my poo poo. i used the option to set a whole tab as one price so maybe try that if you arent

I figured out that if I search for items by my account name, they all show up. But if I just go in and search for an item by name that's in my public tab, it does no show up. It's really weird.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Bushiz posted:

how do you solve the puzzle of the labyrinth where the game crashes every fourth or fifth map change and you have to start over

Are you getting out of memory errors, just straight to desktop, or what?

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Out of memory crashes can be the straight-to-desktop kind. I had a problem like that once (crashing on zone transition) and I think fresh vid drivers fixed it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I've been playing a necromancer following a spectre/SRS guide and I had a few questions. First, is it workable to just turn whatever into a spectre because having to seek out certain mobs every time you log in or they die sounds super annoying. Second, is Necromantic Aegis (especially with Victario's Charity) a generally good enough idea that I won't regret it if I decided to do something else with the build? Third, how do you actually assign buttons for all these things?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
It's been giving me a bunch of failed to load asset errors every time it crashes. Doesn't seem to be out of memory because my RAM load is at like, 30% while I'm playing. Nevertheless I made it to the end, where I promptly died to Izaro's "Make your framerate stutter, then freeze entirely for half a second, and then be dead" attack.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bushiz posted:

Nevertheless I made it to the end, where I promptly died to Izaro's "Make your framerate stutter, then freeze entirely for half a second, and then be dead" attack.
sorry about your bad computer friend

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

sorry about your bad computer friend

it's a 4790k with a r9 390 and 32 gigs of Ram, though. Is this not something that happens for other people and do I need to go hunting for some poo poo that probably got hosed up by the abused child responsible for AMD's drivers?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Hey I've been playing a necromancer following a spectre/SRS guide and I had a few questions. First, is it workable to just turn whatever into a spectre because having to seek out certain mobs every time you log in or they die sounds super annoying. Second, is Necromantic Aegis (especially with Victario's Charity) a generally good enough idea that I won't regret it if I decided to do something else with the build? Third, how do you actually assign buttons for all these things?

It's not really viable to just raise whatever as a spectre - some mobs are just better than others, be it because of their AI, their abilities, or just plain stats. Second, raise spectre doesn't ever really have generic links - if you're using flame sentinals, you'll be using fire pen, gmp, spell echo etc. If you're using dischargers, a different set, revenants, a different set again.
Once you get to a3m, your spectres shouldn't die too much unless you run into a perandus box full of spammy mobs.

Necro aegis with victario's charity is great, especially for srs since they're all clustered up together and within range of the charge granting effect. Guess it really depends what you mean by "something else"...

My button setup for my srs summoner is:
  • left click - move only
  • space bar - enfeeble (think this is middle mouse in the default options)
  • right click - srs
  • q - convocation
  • w - flame dash
  • e - flesh offering
  • r - auras/zombie/spectres/desecrate
  • t - stone golem

FOr auras you don't need to keep the hotkey on your bar once you've turned them on, so I just turn on my auras, desecrate, summon zombies, go to right zone, desecrate, summon spectres, and then either put it back to desecrate or usually zombie again.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bushiz posted:

it's a 4790k with a r9 390 and 32 gigs of Ram, though. Is this not something that happens for other people and do I need to go hunting for some poo poo that probably got hosed up by the abused child responsible for AMD's drivers?

i dunno, i just did cruel izaro last night and didnt have any problems like that and my laptop is very much not running those specs

could have just been a lag spike

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Thanks! By "something else" I meant some other flavor of summoner. And how does desecrate work with spectres? I haven't had the gem slots to use it yet.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Desecrate creates monster corpses appropriate to whatever level you're on, so if you're trying to get a specific monster it's easier (don't have to kill them first) but not trivial (still have to go to the right area and target the right corpse for RS).

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bushiz posted:

how do you solve the puzzle of the labyrinth where the game crashes every fourth or fifth map change and you have to start over

trial and error plus persistence

edit: to add to the rest of the poo poo above, I've got a PC that was brand new.. 6 months ago? with up to date drivers, etc. I don't think the client has ever hard crashed on me before Ascendancy, and now it hard crashes all the loving time, usually at least once or twice a day, with a plethora of different error messages over time. Most of the crashes occur in a load screen of which the lab has many, and about half are either something related to "unable to load map" or "failed to load asset"

Hauki fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 22, 2016

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Thanks! By "something else" I meant some other flavor of summoner. And how does desecrate work with spectres? I haven't had the gem slots to use it yet.

Guessing if you don't have enough gem slots for it you're probably still fairly low level? Spectres are pretty poop until like merciless. Summoners have been one of those builds you respec into at like 50-60 for ages, and though they improved things a while ago with zombies not being so poo poo at low gem levels, srs etc, they're still generally a late-game build.

Crash stuff - I've only had 1 crash when i tried to zone into the imperial gardens for the first time after the patch, but none since then. I do get a lot more mtx lag though. I never used to get any lag when someone with lots of mtx loaded into a zone, but now i get noticable amounts of it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ive had a few "out of memory" errors at load screens but nothing consistent

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Ada posted:

I managed to get an Earthquake mod on my helm for my Earthquake build, but it was increased radius and I already had like 80 increased aoe already, so no dice.
What you have there is a free damage boost from conc effect with no effective AOE change.

Bushiz posted:

I actually just rambled about this last night but it was in the middle of the night and probably got missed. Get the gently caress off of the Crimson drivers. Rolling back from Crimson to an old catalyst beta fixed 80-90% of the issues I was having.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm in act 3 cruel at the moment, I figure I've gotten over the srs/zombies hump in general and just won't use spectres until merciless.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Gibbo posted:

What you have there is a free damage boost from conc effect with no effective AOE change.

Conc Effect is multiplicative with your AoE so you'll still get a big AoE cut.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Ultima66 posted:

Conc Effect is multiplicative with your AoE so you'll still get a big AoE cut.

That's a little disheartening.

Why does it use decreased instead of more then? I thought everything with increased/decreased was additive.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rurutia posted:

I have a friend who wants to play a Blade Vortex. He doesn't have access to Scion and I told him Necro would be best first. Does anyone have a skill tree I could get him started off on?

We had this discussion earlier in this thread, I think several trees got put up. This is my build, look at "Meat_Chainsaw". I won't say that my build is easy to play, it has minimal automation. For instance, I need to manually generate power charges, and pop bone offerings to get up to max block. I need to constantly mash buttons in order to stay alive. My main keys are:
r-click for whirling blades
q for my primary blade vortex link
w for my secondary blade vortex which generates power charges
e for enduring cry
r for flesh offering
So I need to constantly jam e in the middle of fights to keep my ES pool stable (luckily it has a very short cast time) and keep my endurance charges and immortal calls active (so I don't die to a streak of bad block rolls). A simpler build would go non-crit, and forgo the secondary BV charge generator, and have a high level CwDT linked to a bone offering. So you're going to have to theorycraft out another variant with your friend.

As for gear, Rathpith's and Carcass are a bit pricy for newer players, but you can make do with a Crest of Perandus and a rare 5-link as substitutes.

Cinara posted:

Clearing with a 100% single target skill relying on ele prolif to clear packs will be just horrible clear speed, beyond horrible even.

My old ice shot herald of ash prolif build says hi.

Man, that was a fun build, with some truly crazy clear speed.

Hauki posted:

trial and error plus persistence

edit: to add to the rest of the poo poo above, I've got a PC that was brand new.. 6 months ago? with up to date drivers, etc. I don't think the client has ever hard crashed on me before Ascendancy, and now it hard crashes all the loving time, usually at least once or twice a day, with a plethora of different error messages over time. Most of the crashes occur in a load screen of which the lab has many, and about half are either something related to "unable to load map" or "failed to load asset"

Perhaps I just don't play enough for the PoE memory leak to get completely out of hand, but I haven't had any problems with Labyrinth with a new session. Though it does start to chug after a while, that's when I alt-F4 out, get a coffee, and restart the client.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

We had this discussion earlier in this thread, I think several trees got put up. This is my build, look at "Meat_Chainsaw". I won't say that my build is easy to play, it has minimal automation. For instance, I need to manually generate power charges, and pop bone offerings to get up to max block. I need to constantly mash buttons in order to stay alive. My main keys are:
r-click for whirling blades
q for my primary blade vortex link
w for my secondary blade vortex which generates power charges
e for enduring cry
r for flesh offering
So I need to constantly jam e in the middle of fights to keep my ES pool stable (luckily it has a very short cast time) and keep my endurance charges and immortal calls active (so I don't die to a streak of bad block rolls). A simpler build would go non-crit, and forgo the secondary BV charge generator, and have a high level CwDT linked to a bone offering. So you're going to have to theorycraft out another variant with your friend.

As for gear, Rathpith's and Carcass are a bit pricy for newer players, but you can make do with a Crest of Perandus and a rare 5-link as substitutes.

My old ice shot herald of ash prolif build says hi.

Man, that was a fun build, with some truly crazy clear speed.

Perhaps I just don't play enough for the PoE memory leak to get completely out of hand, but I haven't had any problems with Labyrinth with a new session. Though it does start to chug after a while, that's when I alt-F4 out, get a coffee, and restart the client.

I searched blade vortex necro and got like 3 posts with no builds lol. Thanks for your link. :) I put him on a scion build for now.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Gibbo posted:

That's a little disheartening.

Why does it use decreased instead of more then? I thought everything with increased/decreased was additive.

Huh? It says "less" like it should. More/less is multiplicative, increased/decreased is additive just like you said.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Concentrated_Effect

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Ultima66 posted:

Huh? It says "less" like it should. More/less is multiplicative, increased/decreased is additive just like you said.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Concentrated_Effect

Apparently I'm illiterate. I looked at that page before posting and could have sworn it said decreased.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any beginner friendly shadow builds?

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
http://www.timtips.com/buildbrowser/

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rurutia posted:

I searched blade vortex necro and got like 3 posts with no builds lol. Thanks for your link. :) I put him on a scion build for now.

Scion feels trick to build and gear for. Try this.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Sometimes, those Perandus chests sure are close together!

(This was right on top of Fidelitas and crew)

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Memory leak reportedly fixed.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

megalodong posted:

Guessing if you don't have enough gem slots for it you're probably still fairly low level? Spectres are pretty poop until like merciless. Summoners have been one of those builds you respec into at like 50-60 for ages, and though they improved things a while ago with zombies not being so poo poo at low gem levels, srs etc, they're still generally a late-game build.

FWIW I've been playing a straight summoner just fine. Started out with detonate dead as my main damage and have been working from there.

I'm only in act2 merciless now, but it's fun as hell, I've been using Animate Weapon.

Most of the time now, I get by fine on zombies/SRS with flesh offering, auras, etc. Detonate Dead is just unnecessary now. But the added damage from a few weapons by your side is great, and looks awesome. Add in Vaal Summon Skeleton for 'ohshit' moments and I'm having a really good time. Oh and of course, use the keystone for explodey minions and necromancer caustic minion clouds woo!

I imagine act3 merciless is where I will hit the wall and have to start trading for gear.

edit: the Spectres, just try and pick big things while leveling.

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 22, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
concerning the memory leak: stay the gently caress away from windows 10:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1628183

quote:

We have deployed a fix for a memory leak that affected only Windows 10 users.

We're not sure when this problem was introduced, but we started seeing reports of it after the deployment of Ascendancy.

We initially dismissed reports of a memory leak because:

The client itself was not leaking memory. The reported memory usage of the client executable was not increasing. We were not aware of any way that you could have memory associated with your process that was not accounted for by the process' displayed memory usage.
You cannot use more than 4gb of memory in a 32 bit process (which Path of Exile is). Therefore any reports of more than 4gb of memory "leaked" were dismissed.
The "leak" being Windows 10 only confused the issue because there were changes in Windows 10's memory management that cause it to be reported differently.
A lot of users were conflating regular memory problems with a memory leak. Memory leaks and high memory usage are two separate issues. The game absolutely uses too much memory, which we are working on, but was not leaking memory as far as we were aware.

We were wrong and would like to publicly apologise that this went on for so long. There was a leak and after many days of investigation, we have fixed it. Strangely, it appeared to be a regression in Windows 10 that caused previously normal behaviour to now leak System memory.

To take advantage of this update, just restart your game client once and the hotfixed version will download.

Thanks very much to the users who contributed RAMMap reports and other information that helped us diagnose the issue.

We are still working on improving other memory issues as well. We have some promising memory reductions that will hopefully be deployed in the coming week. These should resolve the memory-related crashes that people sometimes encounter when changing areas. I'd like to deeply apologise for the recent performance issues, and thank you for your patience. We have several programmers dedicated to performance improvements and they have a lot of plans for how to continue to improve our architecture.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That must be why my "system compressed memory" had ballooned to in excess of 6gbs when the performance went to absolute poo poo.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

I wonder if those fixes will help with the last 10-15% of performance I'm still missing even though I'm on windows 7. Drivers fixed the rest

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I've had no problems whatsoever on Windows 10 :shrug:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'll add that I don't even think the game is that inefficient. I was amazed I could run it on my $300 craptop (AMD A6-6310, 6gb RAM, onboard Radeon R4 graphics) at 1600x with no real lag.

Now the initial loadup, that's another story. Five minutes from steam launch to login screen.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Act 4's Stygian Revenants make decent Spectres: tough with decent attacking AI. Too bad they. Never. Shut up! :argh:

Elerion
May 31, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

I'm in act 3 cruel at the moment, I figure I've gotten over the srs/zombies hump in general and just won't use spectres until merciless.

I played a spectre/zombie/SRS summoner for a while this league, and I loved it to bits. The clear speed was insane with Haste aura, NecroAegis Victario's Charity, near 100% uptime on Flesh Offering and Vaal Haste, and all the gear is super cheap. Too bad the game lags like a motherfucker with 60+ minions attacking 4 times per second, so I had to abandon the character early. Some tips below.

First off: Start leveling a Desecrate gem right now, if you havent been doing so in your offhand already. This is crucial.

Ignore Spectres until act 3 merciless. As soon as you open sewers, have someone give you the waypoint to Solaris. Use Desecrate to spawn corpses there until you see Flame Sentinels. If you don't see any in 3-4 Desecrates, ctrl+click the waypoint and make a new zone. Then remove Spell Echo from your Spectre link, hold your "Allow Corpse Targeting" hotkey, and raise your Flame Sentinel spectres. Remember to put Spell Echo back in afterwards.

Once you unlock the Eternal Laboratory (map room), start using that to summon spectres instead since it's a higher zone level and has no hostile mobs.

Note that spectres summoned by Desecrate will have a level which is equal to the higher of: a) The zone level, and b) Desecrate's "create corpses" level. That's why it's really important to level Desecrate up.

Flame sentinels are the best spectres because they shut up, they don't run in and get themselves killed, they don't get stuck on rubble on the ground, they have built in LMP/Fork, and their "fire first, think later" AI makes them do a ton of DPS in general.

6-link it in a Tabula Rasa for absurd DPS. That should be your first item purchase as a spectre summoner. Since you don't care about mana consumption, a 6-link is easier to run than for many other builds. You also get hit less than other characters, so the loss of defense isn't quite as big a deal.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

whoever the summoner in guild was asking if people wanted to stress test their PCs: lol

grouping with summoners is suffering

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Elerion posted:

I played a spectre/zombie/SRS summoner for a while this league, and I loved it to bits. The clear speed was insane with Haste aura, NecroAegis Victario's Charity, near 100% uptime on Flesh Offering and Vaal Haste, and all the gear is super cheap. Too bad the game lags like a motherfucker with 60+ minions attacking 4 times per second, so I had to abandon the character early. Some tips below.

First off: Start leveling a Desecrate gem right now, if you havent been doing so in your offhand already. This is crucial.

Ignore Spectres until act 3 merciless. As soon as you open sewers, have someone give you the waypoint to Solaris. Use Desecrate to spawn corpses there until you see Flame Sentinels. If you don't see any in 3-4 Desecrates, ctrl+click the waypoint and make a new zone. Then remove Spell Echo from your Spectre link, hold your "Allow Corpse Targeting" hotkey, and raise your Flame Sentinel spectres. Remember to put Spell Echo back in afterwards.

Once you unlock the Eternal Laboratory (map room), start using that to summon spectres instead since it's a higher zone level and has no hostile mobs.

Note that spectres summoned by Desecrate will have a level which is equal to the higher of: a) The zone level, and b) Desecrate's "create corpses" level. That's why it's really important to level Desecrate up.

Flame sentinels are the best spectres because they shut up, they don't run in and get themselves killed, they don't get stuck on rubble on the ground, they have built in LMP/Fork, and their "fire first, think later" AI makes them do a ton of DPS in general.

6-link it in a Tabula Rasa for absurd DPS. That should be your first item purchase as a spectre summoner. Since you don't care about mana consumption, a 6-link is easier to run than for many other builds. You also get hit less than other characters, so the loss of defense isn't quite as big a deal.

Seconding this pro advice, I'm 82 and mapping in a tabula because with 10 zombies and 4 spectres, getting hit is a thing of the past. I really can't recommend leveling with summons, just grab some lifesprigs and level with orb of storms and a lightning skill of your choice.

Once you get your zombie and spectre skill gems to about 16 or 17, they won't die except for rare cases if you've got some of the minion nodes. I feel like my minions' survivability skyrocketed once I got the +resists node to the left of the witch area.

I've played summoner every league since launch and it's stronger than ever. I appreciate that there are a lot of ways to do summoner, since there are 4 pet types and like a millon potential supports. While I run what is basically a Diablo 2 summoner necro, almost every summoner I've seen is different!

Edit: and yes it can be laggy, I play solo because people are the worst

Phayray fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 22, 2016

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Can anyone a bit more experienced help me out with my character?

Level 77 Templar Hierophant, aoe lightning build. Started doing maps a few days ago, still havent done merc lab. I have 1ex 53c saved up and I'm looking to upgrade my gear. I have no idea what to aim for in the "endgame" when it comes to gear pieces or specific uniques besides getting res capped.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jamiefox/characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

West007 posted:

Can anyone a bit more experienced help me out with my character?

Level 77 Templar Hierophant, aoe lightning build. Started doing maps a few days ago, still havent done merc lab. I have 1ex 53c saved up and I'm looking to upgrade my gear. I have no idea what to aim for in the "endgame" when it comes to gear pieces or specific uniques besides getting res capped.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jamiefox/characters

Are you in the guild?

Edit: Mathil has a tree that he used for Templar Inquisitor crit Storm Call that he liked. I don't know enough about it to give you much direction outside of maybe getting a 5L chest.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 22, 2016

• Locked thread