Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Maybe he can find another vessel to launder Art Briles through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

MourningView posted:

If they turn around and hire Kiffin and the fanbase accepts it (and it seems like most would, even here) it pretty much proves everyone who said that fans just didn’t like Schiano as a coach and were using the Sandusky stuff as an excuse right.

Also not that it matter because I think he’s a garbage person who shouldn’t get the job anyway but there’s a pretty good chance Kiffin without Briles running his offense still sucks as a head coach.

The fanbase isnt a homogeneous blob. There are people who used penn st to shitcan a bad hire, there are people who were genuinely concerned about it, and there are people like me who thought it was a potential PR disaster and not worth the risk.

Same deal with Kiffin who always had some minimal level of support with fans. Shell shock over the recent events is making people freak out and youre seeing a whole lot of ridiculous stuff, including increased support for Kiffin. But, let things settle for a few days and it will change.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Tennessee should in no way bring Lane back, but in another sense they absolutely should because I want to see them complete the ouroboros.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

You can all be assured that the Knoxville Browns will continue to be entertaining until they do something about their cancerous leadership

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Acelerion posted:

The fanbase isnt a homogeneous blob. There are people who used penn st to shitcan a bad hire, there are people who were genuinely concerned about it, and there are people like me who thought it was a potential PR disaster and not worth the risk.

Same deal with Kiffin who always had some minimal level of support with fans. Shell shock over the recent events is making people freak out and youre seeing a whole lot of ridiculous stuff, including increased support for Kiffin. But, let things settle for a few days and it will change.

I don’t see anything suggesting that Kiffin is going to cause the same widespread outrage and protest even though if this was actually about taking a stand against enabling sexual assault he would. But maybe it’s okay if you’re also wacky on twitter.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Kiffin is not even a real candidate.

Now back to Tennessee helping coaches get raises:

https://twitter.com/JimmyHyams/status/935524228090220544

Other possible candidates

https://twitter.com/JimmyHyams/status/935524351931305984

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

There are plenty of people pointing out his baggage, 'gently caress it, lets hire Kiffin' is just where the conversation has turned at the moment. People will realize how dumb it is and back off.

Diddlin kids and diddlin coeds is a lot different. Thats not at all the situation of course, but I think thats how a lot of people see it from 10,000ft - mostly because its freak out mode and people arnt thinking. But yes, it would be hypocritical to rain down on schiano and accept kiffin, from only an ethical standpoint.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Gundy is Peterson-level delusional at this point

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

Gundy is Peterson-level delusional at this point

I mean you make the call anyway, but yeah there's no chance of it happening.

Mississippi State is going to end up with a better hire than Tennessee.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Acelerion posted:

Diddlin kids and diddlin coeds is a lot different.

oh ok

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

This, by my count, is the first time Cutcliffe has ever come out and stated the obvious: that nearing retirement as a football head coach at Duke is a cushy-rear end job and he'd be nuts to leave it.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Acelerion posted:

Thats not at all the situation of course

Im just passing along what I can tell is the temperature of the fanbase, for better or worse

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Yeh I’m shocked to hear his name. If he really did interview (Jimmy doesn’t post rumors unless he can confirm them, so I believe it) Tennessee has to know it’s being played for a raise or a power play at OK State.

I do wonder if they are purposely leaking stuff to go, hey we are trying!, after the backlash?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

I do wonder if they are purposely leaking stuff to go, hey we are trying!, after the backlash?

well now what in the the sam hill would make you think that they would go and purposely leak something to fool the fanbase?

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Haslam is one of Hyams' sources and Gundy is another one of his obsessions. Hence getting him multiple raises across multiple ADs

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There was a time where Gundy seemed unhappy at OK St and was in a bit of a power struggle with Pickens but that seems to have long passed and he seems really comfortable and happy there now. He also has them at the point where they’re a fairly consistent top 15ish team so between that and all his connections to the program I can’t imagine him leaving

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Short straw has to coach Tennessee

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oh also for everyone wondering why schiano had so many white knights in the media, Staples pointed out yesterday that his agent is Jimmy Sexton, who is almost certainly an important source for all the reporters defending him.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
put me in coach AD

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I'm down with Tennessee being the Browns of college football.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Tennessee's next head coach is Paul Rhoads. They just don't know it yet.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Did Lane Kiffin bang some coeds? I thought that was just a joke.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Deadulus posted:

Did Lane Kiffin bang some coeds? I thought that was just a joke.

No, but Joey Freshwater did.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:q:

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Thoguh posted:

No, but Joey Freshwater did.

I thought that was a joke onion article. Was that real?

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Deadulus posted:

Was that real?

"no"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
You know who wouldn't use Joey Freshwater as an alias? Jim McElwain.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mahoning posted:

You know who wouldn't use Joey Freshwater as an alias? Jim McElwain.

McElwain is more of a Joey Saltwater

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

vyst posted:

:vince:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

McElwain to Tennessee would be it for me. I would just walk away from college football because it would only be downhill from there.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Saban to Tennessee. His statement: "Now that I have experienced 100 times gravity I must train in it!"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

vyst posted:

:thejoke:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I’d be thrilled with Mike Gundy. Look at that mullet

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

LANe Kiffin easily the most horney coach in college football

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

https://twitter.com/CowboysRFF/status/935545164134862848

lol god drat

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They won't pay $9m to buy out Campbell but they'll pay $13m to buy out Gundy and make him higher paid than Urban and Harbaugh.

:psyduck:

E: or just $4m to buy out Norvell :psyboom:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
My mom's on point as usual

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I know that Kevin Wilson is a piece of poo poo and all, but I'm surprised his name hasn't come up. Does he need another year or two at OSU before people forget his transgressions at Indiana? I mean, Brian Kelly still has a job at Notre Dame, and what he has done is at least as bad.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Komet posted:

I know that Kevin Wilson is a piece of poo poo and all, but I'm surprised his name hasn't come up. Does he need another year or two at OSU before people forget his transgressions at Indiana? I mean, Brian Kelly still has a job at Notre Dame, and what he has done is at least as bad.

I think he still needs a year or two. He clearly wasn't calling plays this year with JT Barrett at QB. I think with Haskins under center next year then Wilson will get free reign on the offense and people will remember he's a really good offensive coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

vyst posted:

Jim BrackElwain.

• Locked thread