Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Byzantine posted:

Ancient Greece invented Lesbians

Things dragging down the game - I’m still 10 levels too low to visit the island of Lesbos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

moosecow333 posted:

Things dragging down the game - I’m still 10 levels too low to visit the island of Lesbos.

Lesbos is kind of a disappointment, in game

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

moosecow333 posted:

Sappho lived roughed 150 years before Odyssey takes place, and they don't really play into the lesbian thing at all other than one major questline there.

It's kind of disappointing overall.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's much older than that; Direct memory sampling hasn't been a thing since ACIII. All of the games since then, for close to a decade now (:corsair:), have run off an Animus version that can use a viable blood sample from anyone. So there's literally no reason for the devs to go down this route except for some really homophobic bullshit.

Even back when it WAS direct ancestry, it wasn't like Altair was the direct lineage of Ezio and Connor either. It's generally inferred to be various branches of the family feeding down into Desmond (ie; Altair might be his mother's, father's, mother's father's, father's great-great grandfather, Ezio's the father's, father's, mother's, etc, etc).

Yeah IIRC Altair and Ezio were explicitly not related

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Another annoying thing in cities skylines: When properties upgrade they stop paying taxes until they finish upgrading. So I'll have spurts of gameplay where I'm pulling in 10k+ a week, then suddenly it plummets to the negatives because a bunch of places upgrade. Eventually people will die/move out, the property gets reset, then goes through the upgrade process again.

Wait this isn't the dragging things down thread

Neddy Seagoon posted:

(ie; Altair might be his mother's, father's, mother's father's, father's great-great grandfather, Ezio's the father's, father's, mother's, etc, etc).

Leal has a new favorite as of 07:46 on Jan 15, 2021

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Cool we'll argue about realism when the protagonist isn't a literal magic demigod with a teleporting spear and the ability to jump off mountains without injury,

Kratos still did his duty by fathering a child.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think "gay person forced to father/bear a child, due to unwanted obligations that go beyond the desires of humans" makes for an interesting, if very grim, storyline in a work of fiction.

I also think you absolutely cannot sell your work of fiction to people as "you determine who the protagonist is and who they love, they are an extension of you personally" and still have that storyline.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

rydiafan posted:

I'll let the intentionally designed grind that I have the privilege of paying extra money to get rid of turn me off instead.
If you're playing on PC, there's always Cheat Engine.
I personally didn't have an issue with the grind, but I did all the achievements for the game :downs: (I find the Ubi openworld map cleaning really chill with a good podcast)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Seems like a rake they didn't really need to step on generally
yeah I'm starting to suspect that making a key plot point "all fit adults of our genetically superior race must reproduce in order to safeguard the existence of our people and a future for Isu children", and showing it to be objectively correct in-universe, may be a story with problematic aspects

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mamkute posted:

Whenever you are included in the Special Thanks of the credits.

The Phantom Pain basically ends with Hideo Kojima ringing up the player and thanking them for caring about the series and how its been a massive honour making games for you over the last 30 years. :unsmith:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

The game is really really long. In my experience it takes around 55 hours to beat if you have a good mix of story and side progression.

I was well over 100 hours before I reached the dinner and I still haven't done everything, like killing the last mytchical creature.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
These "intentionally grindy but you get the privilege to pay to remove the grind" complaints keep popping up with games that offer XP boosts for single player and usually only apply to a specific way of playing the games, ie. like a reviewer trying to rush through the story ASAP in order to complete the game and move on. I originally played the game on PS4 (without CheatEngine and certainly without any boosts), and it was fine - it's trivial to stick to areas your level or lower for the quoted example of stealth assassinations, and to explore the map and earn XP without having to fight an entire fort without four melee attacks unlocked. There are few hard level gates in the story and every time I was well past them when they popped up.

I'm aware "grindy" is a completely subjective issue and yes I'm also tired of levels/XP on everything in every game, the AC:Os would be better with less of it but they never felt "intentionally grindy" as an incentive to buy the boosts. They're just very large games that have less than ideal level systems (so you might hit situations where more levels would have helped). But so far in all the Ubisoft "open world numbers go up" games you earned more than enough XP and other stuff by just playing. Blaming the 60 hour+ game for offering a paid option to make your numbers go up faster because you want it to be a 30 hour game is kinda barking up the wrong tree :shrug:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

grittyreboot posted:

Yeah it seems like Ubisoft doesn't mark down their older games; Watch Dogs was the same way. It doesn't make sense to me. Plenty of people wait for the price to drop. If it was $20- as it should be at this point- you'd probably have 100 people buying it for every one who is still willing to pay $60.

Either way, you're better off ordering a used physical copy online.

It goes on pretty deep discount regularly at least

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

It goes on pretty deep discount regularly at least
Yeah it usually takes half a year to a year before their "gold editions" show up for $35 during sales.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Watch doges 2 has been completely free a couple of times even

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I somehow own almost all the mainline Assassin's Creed games despite only paying money for 2 of them.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I feel that when Odyssey is good, it's really good.

Just, shame about the other 90% of the game. And the absolutely reprehensible DLC that goes out of its way to butcher Kassandra's character.

Haven't played the dlc but I've heard it's kind of a disaster. Outside of that though most of my sidequests have been "go kill this guy" with kassandra then chiming in that she already did cause I like clearing things

Outside of those pretty generic quests all the full sidequests with plot have been really good I felt, the game is honestly insanely good and I'm like 60+ hours in and maybe halfway through the story?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

orcane posted:

These "intentionally grindy but you get the privilege to pay to remove the grind" complaints keep popping up with games that offer XP boosts for single player and usually only apply to a specific way of playing the games, ie. like a reviewer trying to rush through the story ASAP in order to complete the game and move on. I originally played the game on PS4 (without CheatEngine and certainly without any boosts), and it was fine - it's trivial to stick to areas your level or lower for the quoted example of stealth assassinations, and to explore the map and earn XP without having to fight an entire fort without four melee attacks unlocked. There are few hard level gates in the story and every time I was well past them when they popped up.

I'm aware "grindy" is a completely subjective issue and yes I'm also tired of levels/XP on everything in every game, the AC:Os would be better with less of it but they never felt "intentionally grindy" as an incentive to buy the boosts. They're just very large games that have less than ideal level systems (so you might hit situations where more levels would have helped). But so far in all the Ubisoft "open world numbers go up" games you earned more than enough XP and other stuff by just playing. Blaming the 60 hour+ game for offering a paid option to make your numbers go up faster because you want it to be a 30 hour game is kinda barking up the wrong tree :shrug:

Were you all about the "pride and accomplishment" you felt unlocking Vader in Battlefront 2?

The games with experienced boosters aren't fine as is and the boosters are a way to play them faster. They are slow as is and the boosters are a way to pay to play them normal. And I know this is a fact, because whenever they remove things like experience boosters they always have to rebalance the game to account for that. If the game was fine without experience boosters in the first place why do they need to rebalance it when they remove the experience booster? See Shadow of War and the aforementioned Battlefront.

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Jan 15, 2021

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Were you all about the "pride and accomplishment" you felt unlocking Vader in Battlefront 2?

The games with experienced boosters aren't fine as is and the boosters are a way to play them faster. They are slow as is and the boosters are a way to pay to play them normal. And I know this is a fact, because whenever they remove things like experience boosters they always have to rebalance the game to account for that. If the game was fine without experience boosters in the first place why do they need to rebalance it when they remove the experience booster? See Shadow of War and the aforementioned Battlefront.

Fwiw I never felt limited in aco, and unlocked abilities at a quick enough clip that I got to learn how to fully utilize one before I got the next. I never felt like I'd need to spend money to have fun, because I felt like the base tools were already pretty fun. Heck, I'm still unlocking new tools to mess around with which is always fun, not to mention gear sets that give me even more options

Plus if I unlocked things like assassinated bodies disappear instantly really early it would have made the game very boring

To me that's way different than limiting multiplayer features I guess

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Haven't played the dlc but I've heard it's kind of a disaster. Outside of that though most of my sidequests have been "go kill this guy" with kassandra then chiming in that she already did cause I like clearing things

Outside of those pretty generic quests all the full sidequests with plot have been really good I felt, the game is honestly insanely good and I'm like 60+ hours in and maybe halfway through the story?

The DLC is fine. If you identify with the main character and role played them being non-hetero, then you might have issues with how they sort of pull the character aside to act their own way. I always saw the main character as their own entity, one that i sort of guided with some of my choices but that was still, in essence, their own character - like a less-defined Geralt, for example - so having them have a kid was fine for me, personally. Typically if I don't create/customize my character then I don't really take umbrage at the way they act outside my direct input.

Really my biggest issue was the game expecting you, the player, to care about a character that was pretty much just introduced for this DLC.

Edit: I had more issues with the Atlantis DLC, which you are told explicitly is a series of simulations and yet still expects you to react to characters you see in the afterlife as if they weren't, you know, simulations. And also it's long as poo poo.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Leal posted:

Wait this isn't the dragging things down thread

This is true. I'm stopping my rant.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

grittyreboot posted:

Yeah it seems like Ubisoft doesn't mark down their older games; Watch Dogs was the same way. It doesn't make sense to me. Plenty of people wait for the price to drop. If it was $20- as it should be at this point- you'd probably have 100 people buying it for every one who is still willing to pay $60.

Either way, you're better off ordering a used physical copy online.

Ubisoft puts their games on sale, somewhere, like every five minutes.

Basically no publisher does the "this game is 5 years old, that means it automatically price drops to $1" thing anymore.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Huh. It’s been a while since I’ve played and I’m not sure if I knew that was a thing, I’ll have to go back and look.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
My favorite small thing in Games
Is all of the content's the same
'Cause endlessly bitching
Is super enriching
Or so I assume with these flames

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I love that Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity has both the will and ability to go for SUPER deep cuts into a single game's world, rather than the surface skim of a series you usually get from a Warriors spinoff.

I'm nowhere near done yet, and my roster already includes the giant Korok that upgrades your inventory, all four Great Fairies at the same time, and one of the mummified Sheikah monks.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The ultimate unlockable will be the Bolson Construction Company, mark my word.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
AC:O whips rear end and i love Kassandra.

Game is loving gorgeous too

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bought Odyssey last night but all this "AC:O" talk keeps makin me think "Ace Combat Zero" cause that's where my head is at.

Speaking of Ace Combat, I'm slowly playing through Project Wingman, which is essentially a 3rd party Ace Combat game, and unlike every AC game ever, if you fly a two-person plane your backseater has voiced lines, and she's kind of awesome. The last mission I tried out, the AWACS guy was ribbing her for flying like a maniac when she has her own ride, and she told him, "Eat my rear end", which is a line you'd never ever hear in an official Ace Combat.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I played and really enjoyed AC Odyssey during last year's summer lockdown and it was perfect for that bitesize, clear a few question marks kinda gameplay. Never played Origins though, would that be hard to go back to? Or still worth playing?

For now, my open world kick is being fulfilled by Ghost of Tsushima, which is absolutely gorgeous. I'm sure it's been mentioned before but the way that Jin leans from his horse to brush his fingers against the grass as you're riding along is just :discourse:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
If you enjoyed Odyssey then I would definitely say Origins is worth a shot too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I still don't understand why Aya wasn't the main protagonist. She's the one with the ship, she has her poo poo together and was important enough to get a statue instead of Bayek. In comparison Bayek is her idiot husband who cut off his own finger while assassinating someone.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Alhazred posted:

I still don't understand why Aya wasn't the main protagonist. She's the one with the ship, she has her poo poo together and was important enough to get a statue instead of Bayek. In comparison Bayek is her idiot husband who cut off his own finger while assassinating someone.

"Dudes don't want to play as ladies in games and as we all know only dudes play games, yo." - Ubisoft marketing, probably, most likely the same guy that forced Alexios into being playable for Odyssey

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Most likely she was originally supposed to be and Ubisoft executive sexism made the dev team change it to a guy.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Origins owns, Bayek is a dreamboat, and the creative team did a lot with contrast: newer Greco-Roman versus older Egyptian architecture, the desert versus the verdant coast, etc.

This is Alexandria.

And this is Memphis.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah Bayek was cool

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The other day I realized the different equippable weaver tools (handlooms) in FF14 have different and sometimes very cute pictures on them, like a chibi succubus, various forms of moogles or just neat coats of arms. I've been playing that game on and off since 2013...

And yeah Origins is fun (in some ways I prefer it to Odyssey) and maybe Aya was meant to be the main character, but I really liked playing as Bayek because he's cool and fun and his interactions with children are always :3:

rydiafan posted:

I'm sorry but you're raging at the wrong person here, I didn't try to justify grinds as a "pride and accomplishment" thing. I said "game has booster -> game has to be grindy -> game wants to push me to spend another :10bux: to be less grindy" is a fallacy and doesn't apply to every single player game with available boosters (I'm not denying it does happen in some games). It's very obvious that Polygon article was written by someone who wanted to push through AC:Odyssey as quickly as possible but couldn't because of the level system (which has issues that are unrelated to grinds and booster sale incentives), and the only solution imaginable was "more XP for more levels/skills".

Obviously the situation is different in MMO / MP / live service games where devs try to excuse their lootbox etc. sales with "oh but you can totally earn it in game [by grinding for dozens/hundreds of hours]". Also if a game has to be rebalanced after the removal of RMT options, like Shadow of War or Ghost Recon Breakpoint (I don't actually remember any other single player games like that right now), then yeah that's a strong hint the game tried to push booster sales, which should be critizied. That's not what happens in the Ubisoft open world level up games I played in the last years, though, and definitely not in AC:Odyssey.

Basically this:

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Fwiw I never felt limited in aco, and unlocked abilities at a quick enough clip that I got to learn how to fully utilize one before I got the next. I never felt like I'd need to spend money to have fun, because I felt like the base tools were already pretty fun. Heck, I'm still unlocking new tools to mess around with which is always fun, not to mention gear sets that give me even more options

Plus if I unlocked things like assassinated bodies disappear instantly really early it would have made the game very boring

To me that's way different than limiting multiplayer features I guess

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Vandar posted:

"Dudes don't want to play as ladies in games and as we all know only dudes play games, yo." - Ubisoft marketing, probably, most likely the same guy that forced Alexios into being playable for Odyssey

Clearly they don't play MMOs

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Bayek was cool. It was an interesting change of pace to be playing an accessory to the main character rather than the ultra badass herself.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vandar posted:

And I'm just the opposite. I don't spend money anymore on games that don't at least give me the option of playing as a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I liked Bayek. I thought he was a fun character and kind of a goof which I liked. Aya was a little to serious and I don't think I would have had as much fun playing as her.