Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

This change might be good, I don't know yet, BUT reason #552 WG is a lovely dev is that such a change was only mentioned as a vague note in "optimisations". This kind of thing should be highlighted as a major change. The test server should have been told to focus on testing it. Ideally they should explain exactly what has changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Darkrenown posted:

This change might be good, I don't know yet, BUT reason #552 WG is a lovely dev is that such a change was only mentioned as a vague note in "optimisations". This kind of thing should be highlighted as a major change. The test server should have been told to focus on testing it. Ideally they should explain exactly what has changed.

WG claims there’s no change, so it’s probably an oops.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I personally like it, since having BBs go broadside without any repercussions is some bullshit that really lets the worst players of this game not pay attention to the actual intended gameplay

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

wdarkk posted:

WG claims there’s no change, so it’s probably an oops.

Really? There's a note about improving how shells interact with armour in the patchnotes, and Noster did a video where he says CCs asked WG what was up and they claimed it was working as intended. Of course, WG's left hand often doesn't know what its right is doing, so both of these things could be true.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Attn: verbthenoun - Congrabulations, you were spotted in a YouTube video made by The Mighty Jingles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOrHYiOXXak

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

toadee posted:

Anyone catch the Flambass Death Race events?

Basically teams of all V-25's race a figure 8 around the big islands in Two Brothers, trying to be the first on their team to get back to their cap. Also there are CVs on each side sending torps and bombs at the players. CVs can't shoot at each other but use fighters for spotting. V-25's all shoot torps only at each other (including friendlies), Death Race style.

The first attempt was 3 CVs, and all V-25 torps. The amount of torps was... a bit much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRF5zVz0f6Y

The second try cut it to 2 CVs per side, and the V-25's were allowed only front torps. This time people actually finished!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qn_-Uk9cKg

I feel like we need to make this happen with Goons.

Give me a date and time and I will find a way to make it there.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

You're welcome. I finally did the RN BB grind, knowing my unlocking the Conqueror was the only way it would get nerfed.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

go for a stroll posted:

You're welcome. I finally did the RN BB grind, knowing my unlocking the Conqueror was the only way it would get nerfed.

It deserves a nerf, that ship is stupid

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

toadee posted:

Anyone catch the Flambass Death Race events?

Basically teams of all V-25's race a figure 8 around the big islands in Two Brothers, trying to be the first on their team to get back to their cap. Also there are CVs on each side sending torps and bombs at the players. CVs can't shoot at each other but use fighters for spotting. V-25's all shoot torps only at each other (including friendlies), Death Race style.

The first attempt was 3 CVs, and all V-25 torps. The amount of torps was... a bit much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRF5zVz0f6Y

The second try cut it to 2 CVs per side, and the V-25's were allowed only front torps. This time people actually finished!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qn_-Uk9cKg

I feel like we need to make this happen with Goons.

That looks really fun and makes me miss death races on Planetside 2.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I've hit a bit of a quandary, so I've elited the Amagi, Bismark and North Carolina all at the same time and I'm trying to decide which T9 to buy first. I really liked the Amagi but I hear the Izumo is pretty poor. Any recommendations about which one would be the most fun?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Aramoro posted:

I've hit a bit of a quandary, so I've elited the Amagi, Bismark and North Carolina all at the same time and I'm trying to decide which T9 to buy first. I really liked the Amagi but I hear the Izumo is pretty poor. Any recommendations about which one would be the most fun?

Without having driven the FdG, I believe the Iowa is the best of the three. Really there's very little difference in playstyle and matchmaking between it and North Carolina, if you liked the 8 you'll like the 9.

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?
I'd go with the Iowa or F. Der Große. With the Iowa you can bow tank and you have powerful accurate guns. The FDG is a different kind of play style, while you can brawl because of the turtleback, your guns are no where near as accurate, and people have learned to just burn the German ships. So you have to get closer, with the increased risk, to get the same effect as the Iowa. But you also have to view the tier 10 ships of the lines. The Izumo is pain. I free xp'd past the second two thirds of it. But now with all these other tier 10 bbs, the Yamato is no longer feared the same way as it had been, at least with my experience. The Montana is a beast now with its lowered citadel and armor modifications, and the Kurfurst is a hilarious brawler. I have it as a secondary build and just gently caress everything up within 11.6km.

Iveliosiudicium fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 9, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The manual secondary skill still needs to be able to fire out both sides at once at one target each side, whether that be normal or a special modification on a reward German captain imo

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Aramoro posted:

Definitely Iowa, unless you are a gigantic masochist. It's by far the best T9 BB and it's very fun to play. It's got essentially the same strengths and weaknesses as the NC, but while it's bigger and slightly less stealthy it's also a bit harder to citadel. It's still not much of a tank though and firing from stealth and/or running away with its absurd speed is generally a better idea than bowtanking. Shoot DD's with it at every chance you get, it's great at it.

The Izumo has been much complained about in this thread and I don't need to repeat why it's so rear end. The Yamato is good, but quite boring - I rarely play it. I haven't played the FdG (I don't really like the Bismarck and rarely play it) but everything I hear about it sounds fairly miserable - it's very inconsistent and really wants to brawl, but at high tiers you sorta can't do that.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

TheFluff posted:

Definitely Iowa, unless you are a gigantic masochist.

I stock grind all my ships and the only DD line I've really played in the IJN one so....

Looks like I'll get the Iowa first, going by my stats I was best in the NC anyway.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Aramoro posted:

I stock grind all my ships and the only DD line I've really played in the IJN one so....

Looks like I'll get the Iowa first, going by my stats I was best in the NC anyway.

The Iowa's stock grind is really not bad for a T9. You kinda feel the low hitpoints from not having the B hull, but other than that it's quite serviceable. It's not like the Izumo which has essentially nonfunctional AA and what I'm pretty sure is the slowest rudder shift in the game until you're 100k XP into the grind.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TheFluff posted:

The Iowa's stock grind is really not bad for a T9. You kinda feel the low hitpoints from not having the B hull, but other than that it's quite serviceable. It's not like the Izumo which has essentially nonfunctional AA and what I'm pretty sure is the slowest rudder shift in the game until you're 100k XP into the grind.

Izumo doesn't get a boost to rudder shift from either the B or C hull, all you get is a massive 2400hp boost and a change in your AA from imaginary to pitiful at 44k xp, and after another 60k xp a change in your AA from pitiful to rudimentary self defence.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 9, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

NTRabbit posted:

Izumo doesn't get a boost to rudder shift from either the B or C hull, all you get is a massive 2400hp boost and a change in your AA from imaginary to pitiful at 44k xp, and after another 60k xp a change in your AA from pitiful to rudimentary self defence.

ntrabbit.txt

Yes it does get faster rudder shift, it goes from 26s to 19.7s on the C hull.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TheFluff posted:

ntrabbit.txt

Yes it does get faster rudder shift, it goes from 26s to 19.7s on the C hull.

See what I did was not expand the stat to see the minutiae, because the maneuverability is 31 on the A hull, and 31 on the C hull, so somehow a 5s boost from 20.8 to 15.8 (steering gear 2 fitted) doesn't change the rating :confuoot:

I mean a 200 damage change to an AP shell between gun turrets shows up as a change to the basic rating, why doesn't this?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 9, 2018

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I hated the Izumo with a passion and ended up free xp-ing out of it but somehow got an 81% win rate over the 20 battles I played it? :shrug:

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I did not like the Izumo. I ended up burning free XP to get past it after a few games.

I do like the Yamato.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
How's the US cruiser split gonna work? Rebought the Cleveland, now I'm wondering if I should unlock Pensacola, unlock and buy it, or simply hang on to the xp.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

MREBoy posted:

Attn: verbthenoun - Congrabulations, you were spotted in a YouTube video made by The Mighty Jingles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOrHYiOXXak

I'm glad it was a game where I did something noteworthy enough to get noticed by the commentator and it wasn't, "Wow, drunk or retarded? Taking all bets."

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

bloom posted:

How's the US cruiser split gonna work? Rebought the Cleveland, now I'm wondering if I should unlock Pensacola, unlock and buy it, or simply hang on to the xp.
At the very minimum, you will probably want Baltimore and Cleveland in your port when the split happens. This should give you the Tier 8 Cleveland in the light line and the Tier 9 Buffalo in the heavy line, plus T6 Pensacola and T8 Baltimore. If you have all of them, anything you get 2 of automatically gets turned into credits. I believe you also get port slots and captains when a ship splits. This is all assuming that it works like the DD splits they did before.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Wolfy posted:

At the very minimum, you will probably want Baltimore and Cleveland in your port when the split happens. This should give you the Tier 8 Cleveland in the light line and the Tier 9 Buffalo in the heavy line, plus T6 Pensacola and T8 Baltimore. If you have all of them, anything you get 2 of automatically gets turned into credits. I believe you also get port slots and captains when a ship splits. This is all assuming that it works like the DD splits they did before.

Thanks. It's unlikely I can be bothered to grind my way to the Bodymore before the split but I'll be hanging on to the Cleveland. Still curious as to what's gonna happen to whatever xp I have on the Cleve when the split happens. Is it gonna move to t8 Cleve, stay at t6 or just poof away?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Rorac posted:

Give me a date and time and I will find a way to make it there.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to do this or else I probably would. How do you host a training server?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So I'm interested in battleships that do more than sit back and snipe. Something I can press forward with and brawl preferably with good secondaries. From what I understand the German battleship line is what I want? I've been dabbling and flitting about but I'm keen to put on my big boy pants, focus on a particular line of ships and Git Gud.

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?
Yes the German line is what you want for secondaries, and turtleback armor so you can brawl. Just remember to equip any fire suppression you can, and fire suppression captain perks.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Iveliosiudicium posted:

Yes the German line is what you want for secondaries, and turtleback armor so you can brawl. Just remember to equip any fire suppression you can, and fire suppression captain perks.

You need fire suppression on almost every bb now. It used to be just dds and cruiseres, but now with so many bbs throwing he around, it is easy to find yourself repairing 3 fires only to have 2-3 more 30 seconda after you repair.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Just keep in mind that German BBs are noncompetitive if you were looking to get into that sort of thing. They're fairly unique otherwise.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The thing with the German battleships is that of all the lines, the German battleships probably require the most skill points to hit their true potential. They also suffer the most from the stupid wide-open map design in later tiers. The Bismarck and the FDG- their guns are pretty good, if you're close enough. They penetrate well. They do good damage. They're accurate enough to brawl.

But you need to close in, and that's hard when everyone is shooting you. Constantly. And you have no islands with which to play line-of-sight games.

This will get worse after WG rolls out with their new Japanese premium DD.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The thing with the German battleships is that of all the lines, the German battleships probably require the most skill points to hit their true potential. They also suffer the most from the stupid wide-open map design in later tiers. The Bismarck and the FDG- their guns are pretty good, if you're close enough. They penetrate well. They do good damage. They're accurate enough to brawl.

But you need to close in, and that's hard when everyone is shooting you. Constantly. And you have no islands with which to play line-of-sight games.

This will get worse after WG rolls out with their new Japanese premium DD.

Actually the German BBs are probably going to fare the best of all the BBs against the Asashio, assuming she gets released with the super deepwaters, as they're the only BBs with the Sonar to actually see them before they send you to the shadow realm.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

toadee posted:

Unfortunately I have no idea how to do this or else I probably would. How do you host a training server?

I don't know either.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
April fools event announced. It has to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxTlN5m-xuA

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Be nice if we actually had an event this year.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Sperglord Actual posted:

Be nice if we actually had an event this year.

There's all those sci-fi skins they made, and special captain portraits include a cyber-dolphin. So it seems like it might actually happen.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

A return of the Space Battleship Yamato game mode would be a nice change of pace.

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Mayhaps is this game on sale

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

No. Absolutely not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Hazdoc posted:

Actually the German BBs are probably going to fare the best of all the BBs against the Asashio, assuming she gets released with the super deepwaters, as they're the only BBs with the Sonar to actually see them before they send you to the shadow realm.

No they won't. They are the line that relies most heavily on pushing in to mid range and those torpedoes are so fast that sonar won't save you. They aren't lovely low damage German torps either.

Torpedoes punish the battleships that are pushing objectives the most and the camping snipers the least. These torps are no exception.