Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Larch: "Do you come in on weekends to work on anything? No? Then gently caress yourself"

Boss: "You are fired"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Raerlynn posted:

Now document all of this and show your boss what happens when you have no interruptions. Then ask for a help desk monkey.

Ask for three. When they say no, bargain down to two, so you have a spare when one gets sick/drunk/arrested.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dick Trauma posted:

My quest to spend as much money as possible continues!

I interned at Xerox a decade ago and spent £130k in a year. Nobody (in that department) has beaten the record.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 10, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

So much accomplished. Installed some document cameras, imaged the computers, researched and filled out PO requisitions I've been putting off, replaced some faulty UPSes in the dorms, and finally got around to being able to look over some applications that have come in. All before lunch.

I never realized how much I keep getting pulled away from my duties by everyone else's issues

Buy "Time Management for System Administrators"

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Thanks Ants posted:

I interned at Xerox a decade ago and spent £130k in a year. Nobody (in that department) has beaten the record.

I once dropped 30k in about five minutes on a new credit card. Had to buy those Mac Pros right away!

Then Amex suspended the purchase and called accounting since they thought it was a fraudulent purchase.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Thanks Ants posted:

I haven't spent even 1 pound yet so your record is safe.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Ask for three. When they say no, bargain down to two, so you have a spare when one gets sick/drunk/arrested.

I like the cut of your jib.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pr0digal posted:

I once dropped 30k in about five minutes on a new credit card. Had to buy those Mac Pros right away!

Then Amex suspended the purchase and called accounting since they thought it was a fraudulent purchase.

Right away as in "just released new thing I want six of them go go go" right away?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Raerlynn posted:

Now document all of this and show your boss what happens when you have no interruptions.

"What are you trying to convince me of, exactly? That you're only useful when you're working seven days a week? Well guess what, Larches. I think, you just loving convinced me! Let's go the calendar. It's calendar time! Calendar time for Larches!"

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 10, 2016

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Ask for three. When they say no, bargain down to two, so you have a spare when one gets sick/drunk/arrested reaches 90% capacity.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Also note that one minion is a rival, two minions are a team that you supervise.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

mllaneza posted:

Also note that one minion is a rival, two minions are a team that you supervise.

three minions is a coup d'etat.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

18 Character Limit posted:

three minions is a coup d'etat.

Not if you nurture a pecking order.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Thanks Ants posted:

Right away as in "just released new thing I want six of them go go go" right away?

I'm pretty sure it was more like "replace the old dying machines ASAP" kind of right away. Oh the joys of TV production, spend 30k on edit machines and screw over PAs on pay.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

4.5 years, 0 certs, 2 degrees (AA - Business Admin, AA - Arts Transfer)

A bit late.

Obligatory gently caress printers.

I'm trying to sort out this gently caress-up I made ages ago in our image (hand-installing USB3 drivers) which worked for our Sandy Bridge-equipped Optiplexes and all our old c2d things at the time, but caused major issues with our (newer) Haswell and Skylake machines.

Apparently, the drivers aren't compatible at all, and our imaging system isn't sophisticated enough to "identify" the machine like say, SCCM can.

The real point of my post is that while my manager is cool, our directors are not making good decisions (we use some decrepit software that runs server 2003 for some of its underlying pieces) and are deciding to save money instead of actually purchasing the software suite that would improve workflow and actually save on IT costs.

You all know those programs that you have to design an entire network around because of their limitations? gently caress

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Wait for Brexit to kick in, you'll see the pound collapse so hard so fast that £130k will get you a replacement mouse, if you're satisfied with a low end cheap model.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Muppet support person can't understand why I'm annoyed at her booking an appointment for me to install our Outlook plugin for a client on a bunch of their laptops

there's literally a button in our software to install it

she can't wrap her head around the concept of "if we do trivial things for them that they can easily do themselves, they'll never learn how to do them and we'll get stuck doing them forever". We already have 4 other trivial tickets from this client (who is quite a small one) because of how coddled they are. Can't imagine why the support queue has blown out from 50 to 100 outstanding issues :iiam:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Since we're in CertsChat lately, I have a line on a job that requires either an A+ or willingness to get an A+ within 90 days. Is that a run-for-the-hills sign or standard bullshit?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Neito posted:

Since we're in CertsChat lately, I have a line on a job that requires either an A+ or willingness to get an A+ within 90 days. Is that a run-for-the-hills sign or standard bullshit?

Is the gig under any regulatory examinations? Financial? Healthcare? Defense? If so, then that's why. Industry certification requirements are starting to eke their way into examiner findings.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Is the gig under any regulatory examinations? Financial? Healthcare? Defense? If so, then that's why. Industry certification requirements are starting to eke their way into examiner findings.

The agency's not allowed to say, but it's "A large educational institution near Cambridge, MA and Allston". So possibly?

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
A data breach came in at a company we just bought.

Our new HR manager is now our old HR manager. And with him went a bunch of employee data.

So now we try to make that horseless barn secure. I'm familiar with GPOs, but nothing along that line has been setup yet for this company. It's likely we'll be going with consultants more well versed in these things, but I doubt we have the money for anything as effective as the executives will want. Given my experience, I'm feeling of my depths on this one and looking for recommendations on putting into place whatever controls I can.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Did you lose customer data or PII? If so, you need a big expensive consultant group to come in, and you really don't have a choice about it.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Mustache Ride posted:

Did you lose customer data or PII? If so, you need a big expensive consultant group to come in, and you really don't have a choice about it.

PII. And, thinking about it, that's probably about the most I should say.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah GPOs are not going to cut it. You'll need a full forensic audit too see the full extent of the breach, and make sure that the company complies will all security standards and compliance requests. Usually that requires a consulting company to come in and assist with standards and controls from an oversight position.

Oh and tell the board that you need to make it public to all affected. There's been enough breaches this year that it won't get huge news, but it still needs to be done. Your legal team will need to get involved quick.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Neito posted:

The agency's not allowed to say, but it's "A large educational institution near Cambridge, MA and Allston". So possibly?

Higher education. Possibly union. Standard BS.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Neito posted:

Sounds like just a checkmark, getting a A+ is trivially easy and it could be a good way to weed out some people too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ookiimarukochan posted:

Wait for Brexit to kick in, you'll see the pound collapse so hard so fast that £130k will get you a replacement mouse, if you're satisfied with a low end cheap model.

:smith:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

ookiimarukochan posted:

On the plus side, Our family's christmas shopping weekend in London is getting cheaper all the time.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Crowley posted:

On the plus side, Our family's christmas shopping weekend in London is getting cheaper all the time.

A few clothes, some nice food, a couple of apartments.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Crowley posted:

Yeah I just ordered some whisky from the UK. Used to be more expensive than here in The Netherlands, but now a lot of it is cheaper. Not all of it yet but there's still time. :getin:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

spog posted:

A few clothes, some nice food, a couple of apartments.

Copenhagen/London, and back, will set you back a whopping $27 with departure Dec. 9 and return Dec 11. Hardly Richie Rich kinda money.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Crowley posted:

Copenhagen/London, and back, will set you back a whopping $27 with departure Dec. 9 and return Dec 11. Hardly Richie Rich kinda money.

It's more a comment that the way the pound is heading, the handful of Krone in your pocket that you were saving for a Starbucks will be enough to buy property here.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I bought that, I haven't had time to read it yet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

I bought that, I haven't had time to read it yet.

:newlol:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

iajanus posted:

Muppet support person can't understand why I'm annoyed at her booking an appointment for me to install our Outlook plugin for a client on a bunch of their laptops

there's literally a button in our software to install it

she can't wrap her head around the concept of "if we do trivial things for them that they can easily do themselves, they'll never learn how to do them and we'll get stuck doing them forever". We already have 4 other trivial tickets from this client (who is quite a small one) because of how coddled they are. Can't imagine why the support queue has blown out from 50 to 100 outstanding issues :iiam:

We switched phone systems and the vendor also does a full everything. They included it free in setup, including configuring the phones before shipping. VAR then wanted a fee to tell us how to setup a remote phone instead of point us to the article because we weren't paying for the premium service :v: I'm really disliking this VAR they are completely worthless to the point that sending them a notice that service was out multiple times last week and they said they would be able to work with us with the vendor, got a reply: Contact vendor, or pay hilarious 1 time fee or hilariously high monthly fee. They are local so name and shame wont do any good. I had already contacted the vendor, I even told you in the email. I'm making a paper trail to fire your rear end and get out of the 3 year contract.

Actual cloud phone provider is really good and fast to respond to issues. I'd just like to get the service the VAR offered, and they are not adding any value right now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What cloud provider did you go with? About how many users do you have?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Isn't that a brand of bourbon?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Isn't that a brand of bourbon?

One moment, trademarking this idea

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Welp I just tried to expand a Hyper-V disk that had a snapshot childed to it. Good learning experience as to that poo poo don't work. Repaired the VHD and now merging that poo poo so I can properly expand it. Why there was a 5 month old hyper-v snapshot I will never know. Living the MSP dream boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Welp I just tried to expand a Hyper-V disk that had a snapshot childed to it. Good learning experience as to that poo poo don't work. Repaired the VHD and now merging that poo poo so I can properly expand it.

Hyper-V allows you to do that? ESX/vCenter just grays out the option to expand (without telling you why) until you commit/delete the snapshots.

• Locked thread