Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

Darchangel posted:

I'm the massive amount of dirt that is ejected from the undercarriage.

I think that's rust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Potato peels... From the bootleg vodka distillery.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

sharkytm posted:

Potato peels... From the bootleg vodka distillery.

Nutri-Fuel: feeds you AND your car!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

Nutri-Fuel: feeds you AND your car!

But enough about alcohol :cheers:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can nutrifuel also be a body wash?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

In Florida.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Cojawfee posted:

It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping! :corsair:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Dagen H posted:

It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping! :corsair:

I'm not even finished, and I want more! :coal: :corsair:

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Cojawfee posted:

Probably good for degreasing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PainterofCrap posted:

I was wondering this, too.

Pictured over-watered Sackcrete poured into a Tupperware bowl, wrapped in duct tape.

You also refer to Sakrete as Sackcrete?!

Excellent.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Putting it on the shelf next to the Febreeze and Draino

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

wesleywillis posted:

What type of concrete did he use? Could still fail spectacularly.
Does that style of lift not require footings anyway? I'm thinking even the strongest concrete on earth probably isn't gonna help unfuck that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wesleywillis posted:

You also refer to Sakrete as Sackcrete?!

Excellent.

The way he'll be using it?

What else would you call it?
(e: I spel gud)

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
Well poo poo:
Was an axle bearing from an AMC20 on my CJ7.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Dacheat posted:

Well poo poo:

Merry Merry!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Dacheat posted:

Well poo poo:

I like your ornaments but the tinsel you get from the store tends to be less greasy.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Slugworth posted:

Does that style of lift not require footings anyway? I'm thinking even the strongest concrete on earth probably isn't gonna help unfuck that.

Couldn't tell you. I mean ideally, the floor would be level and there might be just a tiny shim under the "foot" of each post, but realistically, instead of making some half assed pad of concrete, it would probably be safer if he got a piece or pieces of like 4x4 or 6x 6 inch square box steel with good wall thickness, and appropriate length to stand on end under the posts. But even thats not the greatest solution, only slightly better than what is most likely fence post mix picked up from home depot and poured into a "form".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
it's a 4 post lift, so it's not like it's going to tip over, but that's still dumb as poo poo.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

it's a 4 post lift, so it's not like it's going to tip over, but that's still dumb as poo poo.

If the posts decided to diverge when those bolts buckle the platform might come loose.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Our fab shop got a new overhead floor mounted 2 ton gantry crane that was put together and leveled out exactly like that guy's lift was, with concrete footings poured afterwards. I was kinda shocked but that's the way it's supposed to be done. It just looks janky as hell though.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Joe Mama posted:

with concrete footings poured afterwards.

Ah see here's where the story diverges

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

Ah see here's where the story diverges

Much like this guy’s supports!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Joe Mama posted:

Our fab shop got a new overhead floor mounted 2 ton gantry crane that was put together and leveled out exactly like that guy's lift was, with concrete footings poured afterwards. I was kinda shocked but that's the way it's supposed to be done. It just looks janky as hell though.

Our jib cranes at work use 8 3/4-10 anchors that go through the slab into hollowed out holes with bigass washers down there and then concrete is poured into the holes, but the cranes are a 2" lift over the concrete. We are using really nice grade of all-thread though, not that lovely, what is it, 3/8ths hardware store all-thread?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

BloodBag posted:

Our jib cranes at work use 8 3/4-10 anchors that go through the slab into hollowed out holes with bigass washers down there and then concrete is poured into the holes, but the cranes are a 2" lift over the concrete. We are using really nice grade of all-thread though, not that lovely, what is it, 3/8ths hardware store all-thread?
Looks kinda like 1/2" - 13 to me

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

BloodBag posted:

I'm assuming that whatever hardware that guy used came with the lift. But then again, the harware that came with my Maxjax lift was kinda garbage.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Holiday gear oil with festive glitter!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Is that a posi that ate all of the friction material?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
It's the new version of Positraction: Putrefaction!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The back end of the crankshaft out of a VD-series Toyota turbo-diesel V8.

It was still running.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Holy poo poo, I nearly just died. Most festive deferred maintenance ever.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

It's fine, it's just fine

Isn't this basically a frame, legal serial number, and block for sale for a "restoration project" type of deal and/or insurance scam? The ship of Theseus-type of bullshit for example Boyd Coddington used to do with hot rods?

Those in driveable condition seem to go for 75k+ USD and nice looking shell with no drive train alone goes for 15k.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There is no way any of that is useful besides maybe an unburnt body panel. The structural steel is definitely weakened from the fire.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

There is no way any of that is useful besides maybe an unburnt body panel. The structural steel is definitely weakened from the fire.

bbbbbbuutttt! Its STEEL!! MURICAN STEEL FROM THE NINETEEN FIFTIES!! :911::911::911::911:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Memento posted:

The back end of the crankshaft out of a VD-series Toyota turbo-diesel V8.

It was still running.

Say what you want of Toyotas engineering cockups, at least their catastrophic failures wont leave you stranded!

I drove my 4.2L turbo diesel inline 6 Toyota for over 100K kms with main bearings that looked like this

Cam bearings that looked like this

And an vacuum pump that had exploded,

And filled the sump with bits like this

And the only symptoms was a slight tick from the vacuum pump and a hot oil presure of 38psi (Factory min spec was 36!)

I only rebuilt it because after an oil change i found a flake of bearing material in the drain pan!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ferremit posted:

And an vacuum pump that had exploded,

As a guy who works on jet engines, that is a loving awful design.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

um excuse me posted:

As a guy who works on jet engines, that is a loving awful design.

Probably, but Toyota have been using that design since the early 90’s and still use it on their current diesels so it must be semi good!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Der Kyhe posted:

Isn't this basically a frame, legal serial number, and block for sale for a "restoration project" type of deal and/or insurance scam? The ship of Theseus-type of bullshit for example Boyd Coddington used to do with hot rods?

Those in driveable condition seem to go for 75k+ USD and nice looking shell with no drive train alone goes for 15k.

Seems about right to me! :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ferremit posted:

Probably, but Toyota have been using that design since the early 90’s and still use it on their current diesels so it must be semi good!

Chrysler has been using a garbage steering column clockspring since at least as far back as 2008, so longevity is not necessarily a good indicator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Godholio posted:

Chrysler has been using a garbage steering column clockspring since at least as far back as 2008, so longevity is not necessarily a good indicator.

I'm not trying to act like Toyota is the greatest automotive poo poo ever, but................