Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

IAmKale posted:

Rogue Amoeba's official guide to installing SoundSource on M1's is to lower SIP and I'm just not comfortable with that. Are there any other apps you'd all recommend for changing the volume over my external monitor's speakers?

And for that matter I've been happy using their Loopback too to play music over WebEx/Hangouts/etc... but I'd have to do the same thing with lowering SIP to get the underlying ACE application installed. Are there any other applications that'd let me do the same thing without having to reduce lower-level OS protections?
For monitor controls this one has been going around recently:

https://github.com/MonitorControl/MonitorControl

For audio no clue...maybe something like OBS? I've done stuff with video/windows and making a virtual webcam for other apps to use, might be able to do that with audio too.

Quackles posted:

BBEdit.

EDIT: Whoops, I have been informed BBEdit is dual-pane. But it does the rest of the stuff.
Can't you just...hide the second pane in dual pane apps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Quackles posted:

BBEdit.

EDIT: Whoops, I have been informed BBEdit is dual-pane. But it does the rest of the stuff.
Yea, there's quite a few that do everything apart from single-pane WYSIWYM. I cannot fathom why dual-pane is useful but there's so many of them there must be a reason.

japtor posted:

You can, but if I'm spending half my day typing / reading notes I'd rather have them nicely formatted instead of looking like this. I already have an IDE for when I want to squint at fixed-width fonts.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

japtor posted:

The way BBEdit does it, the second pane is actually its own window, which appears when you select 'Preview in BBEdit'.

Violator
May 15, 2003

TACD posted:

Is there a Markdown editor for Mac that is:
  • Native (Electron makes me puke)
  • Single-pane, WYSIWYM (who the gently caress wants a dual-pane editor :confused:)
  • One-off purchase
  • Able to read/save files from my file system instead of its own proprietary / hidden cloud database
  • Ideally not completely butt-ugly

It doesn’t seem like an unreasonable list of features but I just can’t find one that meets them all. I’m on the verge of trying to start coding my own because Typora’s bugs are getting to me and I have a feeling the full release will be a paid subscription.

https://taio.app maybe?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

Is there a Markdown editor for Mac that is:
  • Native (Electron makes me puke)
  • Single-pane, WYSIWYM (who the gently caress wants a dual-pane editor :confused:)
  • One-off purchase
  • Able to read/save files from my file system instead of its own proprietary / hidden cloud database
  • Ideally not completely butt-ugly

It doesn’t seem like an unreasonable list of features but I just can’t find one that meets them all. I’m on the verge of trying to start coding my own because Typora’s bugs are getting to me and I have a feeling the full release will be a paid subscription.
You've probably checked it out already (and it doesn't meet all of your requirements) but I really do love https://bear.app

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

I'm amazed they bought the app, still charge five bucks for it and have made zero improvements. Really, mac support toggled on and the new type of widget that doesn't have to sit below all the others in the sidebar are the only things I want

i wouldn’t expect any further development on dark sky; that whole team is likely working on the ios stock weather app now

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

Binary Badger posted:

The memory leak that people have been running into in macOS Monterey appears to have been identified:

https://eclecticlight.co/2021/11/15/montereys-memory-leak-and-how-to-avoid-it/

The leak seems to occur when the mouse pointer size is set to something other than its default value and the cursor type changes (as in mouse pointer to I-bar when hovering over text)

The ostensible fix is to set the cursor to its smallest (default) size and reset any changes to the cursor colors / outline in the Appearance prefpane.

This is definitely not the full story or the fix, because I've been getting woeful memory leaks on my brand new 14inch MBP without having altered the mouse pointer settings. Within a few hours of a full system restart Control Centre will start continuously eating up memory. The jumps in memory usage do seem to occasionally coincide with the mouse freezing or disappearing briefly. I thought maybe it was associated with using my wireless trackpad vs the in-built, but I've just tested that with the same result both times

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Okay, ONE of the leaks has been identified

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I use iA Writer for markdown editing

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

dihaploidy posted:

This is definitely not the full story or the fix, because I've been getting woeful memory leaks on my brand new 14inch MBP without having altered the mouse pointer settings. Within a few hours of a full system restart Control Centre will start continuously eating up memory. The jumps in memory usage do seem to occasionally coincide with the mouse freezing or disappearing briefly. I thought maybe it was associated with using my wireless trackpad vs the in-built, but I've just tested that with the same result both times

Same. I've seen WindowManager consume more than 20 gigs within a couple hours of boot, and I've never touched those settings.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is there a way to make Safari never cache one specific website?

I use example.com to trigger the login window for lots of public/hotel/airport wifi but sometimes it takes 2-3 refreshes to make Safari pull up a non-cached version.

(unless there's an easier way to do that. example.org is small, hosted by IANA, and guaranteed to never be HTTPS, so redirects always work without hijack warnings)

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 17, 2021

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

This looks interesting, cheers — I'll give it a go, though I'm suspicious of the long-term usability of any free software with a subscription option.

nexxai posted:

You've probably checked it out already (and it doesn't meet all of your requirements) but I really do love https://bear.app
Yeah Bear is gorgeous. I basically want Bear but with the ability to store files in my own filesystem.

Centrist Committee posted:

I use iA Writer for markdown editing
I actually didn't realise iA Writer let you keep files in your own system. I'd happily buy this if there was a way to change the incredibly ugly font.

Cheers guys, I dunno if I'll ever get around to actually writing my own app but if I do I'll at least be happy I'm not entirely duplicating something that already exists.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

eddiewalker posted:

Is there a way to make Safari never cache one specific website?

I use example.com to trigger the login window for lots of public/hotel/airport wifi but sometimes it takes 2-3 refreshes to make Safari pull up a non-cached version.

(unless there's an easier way to do that. example.org is small, hosted by IANA, and guaranteed to never be HTTPS, so redirects always work without hijack warnings)

http://neverssl.com

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Same thing. Is that less likely to get cached than example.com?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It redirects to a different URL each time to avoid caching

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
A good rendered markdown editor with local storage is actually kinda tough to find. Neither of these have a wysiwyg editor-only mode (they have the two panes) but Ill suggest them anyways. I write markdown in both every day but stick to the raw markdown view only and always have the rendered pane closed.

You said no electron but https://obsidian.md isn’t too laggy and absolutely worth a look. Also has a mobile app w/ sync via git or the optional paid sync service. You could write an extension to make it work the way you want, if you’re a coder.

For pure speed you would be hard pressed to beat sublime text 4. It is insanely fast! The Markdown Editing plugin may be useful although I don’t use it.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

TACD posted:

This looks interesting, cheers — I'll give it a go, though I'm suspicious of the long-term usability of any free software with a subscription option.

Yeah Bear is gorgeous. I basically want Bear but with the ability to store files in my own filesystem.

Joplin might handle your requirements.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

TACD posted:

Yea, there's quite a few that do everything apart from single-pane WYSIWYM. I cannot fathom why dual-pane is useful but there's so many of them there must be a reason.

You can, but if I'm spending half my day typing / reading notes I'd rather have them nicely formatted instead of looking like this. I already have an IDE for when I want to squint at fixed-width fonts.

You're perfectly free to change the typeface in bbedit, though?

God knows what md program I poo poo out that test from, but I guess bbedit doesn't that program's md.

And I assume dual pane is because it would be somewhat difficult to modify control characters you can't see in the preview window, and most people would be annoyed at having to swap between input and preview mode.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Jupyter Notebook is my markdown editor of choice.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

hmm yes posted:

A good rendered markdown editor with local storage is actually kinda tough to find. Neither of these have a wysiwyg editor-only mode (they have the two panes) but Ill suggest them anyways. I write markdown in both every day but stick to the raw markdown view only and always have the rendered pane closed.

You said no electron but https://obsidian.md isn’t too laggy and absolutely worth a look. Also has a mobile app w/ sync via git or the optional paid sync service. You could write an extension to make it work the way you want, if you’re a coder.
Obsidian was one I was looking at very recently since Productivity Twitter seems to be wet for its note interlinking thing (which does seem interesting). I think you're right that it should in theory be possible to hack together some sort of theming for my tastes but that's definitely more work than I want to take on.

Zenostein posted:

You're perfectly free to change the typeface in bbedit, though?

Different typeface but still not formatted; there's no point marking something as a header or bold if it looks exactly the same as the rest of the text.

Check it out, though: turns out Bear has a new editor in alpha testing that's separate from the main program (and thus lets you open and save files :monocle: ) Looks promising.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I recently switched from Bear to Craft because I needed more than pure markdown writing and have been really happy with it. It’s a subscription, though. It has a lot of the deep linking options and a lot more formatting options layered on top of the typical markdown. It’s also a single pane editor that has everything formatted in the editor window and it hides the markdown tags.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

For maximum privacy and ad blocking, is AdBlock Pro or Wipr better for Safari? Or should I just switch to another browser?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
My mom has scanned a massive amount of family photos and stored them to my dad's MacBook. What I want to do this Christmas is put them all on my external hard drive and then send out copies to my siblings. That way everybody has access to them and we don't just have one copy in one place. I just want to be sure that what I put on the hard drive is going to be readable to my PC back home. Is there anything special I need to do that?

I'd rather just upload it all to the cloud but that's not going to acceptable to all parties, so this how I'm doing it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Violator posted:

I recently switched from Bear to Craft because I needed more than pure markdown writing and have been really happy with it.
So, the reason I’m a bit neurotic about Markdown + local storage is because I’ve spent so much time rotating through different note apps like this already — Evernote, OneNote, Notion, Agenda, Standard Notes — they’re really lovely and beautiful and fun to use, until the free version gets crippled and the subscription becomes exorbitant, or the app keeps growing and bloating until it’s a sluggish mess, or you just want to try something different. And then the proprietary note format and storage means you’re locked in and it’s months of work to move a lifetime of notes over to a new system (I still have things in OneNote I haven’t exported yet.)

Markdown + local storage means my notes are agnostic to whatever app I use on whatever platform and I don’t have to worry if the app I’m using turns to shite because I can easily just switch. Plus I don’t have to create a parallel file system for my notes, because they already live next to whatever files they reference.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
You basically just posted the marketing copy from Obsidian.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

My mom has scanned a massive amount of family photos and stored them to my dad's MacBook. What I want to do this Christmas is put them all on my external hard drive and then send out copies to my siblings. That way everybody has access to them and we don't just have one copy in one place. I just want to be sure that what I put on the hard drive is going to be readable to my PC back home. Is there anything special I need to do that?

I'd rather just upload it all to the cloud but that's not going to acceptable to all parties, so this how I'm doing it.
If they are a giant photo library that hasn't really been sorted out you can open Photos, select the whole lot and drag them to your external drive to copy the actual image files (normally they're stored in a database bundle with the metadata in Photos). Both the MacBook and your PC should be able to read and write to ExFAT so I'd suggest making a partition big enough to hold them and formatting it with that.

If your mum has already sorted them into albums you'll need to do the same thing for each album.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Riven posted:

You basically just posted the marketing copy from Obsidian.

And Obsidian has a huge community theme gallery already, a very customizable interface, and can be synced over iCloud for free. I only didn't recommend it for the original question because it is Electron, but it really doesn't feel like some horrible non-native abomination.

e: Obsidian doesn't let you write notes to wherever in your file system though, everything lives inside a "vault" (which is literally just a folder it makes, your actual notes are plain markdown files inside that folder). that might be a dealbreaker from what you're saying.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 18, 2021

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

TACD posted:

I actually didn't realise iA Writer let you keep files in your own system. I'd happily buy this if there was a way to change the incredibly ugly font.

Well the font is a big part of their thing so it might already be a non-starter but yeah I made iA my default for Markdown files in Finder and open all kinds of local items with it. New files are created in the cloud though, it does assume that’s the way you want to work. I often start something on my phone and then drag it out of iCloud to a local location on my Mac. iA doesn’t mind. It shows a little warning if you have the file pane visible.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Violator posted:

Hmm, there has to be more problems. I keep having to reboot every few days because WindowServer is getting up to 30 gigs of memory usage for me.

Do you use firefox? I was also having huge problems with WindowServer eating more than all of my memory and I saw the usage shooting up one time when only firefox was open. That was a few days ago and since then I switched to chrome and I haven't seen it again.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Rahu posted:

Do you use firefox? I was also having huge problems with WindowServer eating more than all of my memory and I saw the usage shooting up one time when only firefox was open. That was a few days ago and since then I switched to chrome and I haven't seen it again.

I don't use Firefox, but that's a good tip to keep an eye on it. I'll do a fresh reboot and make a concerted effort to try to keep tabs on what could be causing it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone want to wager a guess as to whether the wrapper or mechanism that lets you run iOS apps on M1 Macs is responsible for window decoration? I've been running a bunch of my iPad apps on my M1 laptops and it's a huge quality of life increase to have some common stuff underhand without reaching for my phone or tablet, but the only annoying thing is that the window decorations themselves don't seem to respect dark mode settings.

It's not even a huge deal, it just looks out of place to see all dark apps and then have di.fm app pop up with like this bright white menubar haha

The App Store clearly says app wasn't verified for MacOS compatibility so maybe it's one of those things a developer can add to their app to make it behave well, but I'm kind of surprised that the base compatibility overlay doesn't just see "oh hey the rest of the OS is in dark mode maybe I'll just use a dark menubar".

I'm using the word menubar which is probably incorrect, I mean the window border/decoration with the three traffic lights, if there's a better name for that.

e: If anyone has a quick suggestion for a free iOS app that they run that's been verified for MacOS compatibility I guess I could install that and just see if this is the case.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TACD posted:

So, the reason I’m a bit neurotic about Markdown + local storage is because I’ve spent so much time rotating through different note apps like this already — Evernote, OneNote, Notion, Agenda, Standard Notes — they’re really lovely and beautiful and fun to use, until the free version gets crippled and the subscription becomes exorbitant, or the app keeps growing and bloating until it’s a sluggish mess, or you just want to try something different. And then the proprietary note format and storage means you’re locked in and it’s months of work to move a lifetime of notes over to a new system (I still have things in OneNote I haven’t exported yet.)

Markdown + local storage means my notes are agnostic to whatever app I use on whatever platform and I don’t have to worry if the app I’m using turns to shite because I can easily just switch. Plus I don’t have to create a parallel file system for my notes, because they already live next to whatever files they reference.

Have you considered macOS's Notes app? It's not Markdown and notes are stored internally, but you're never going to have to pay for it and Apple can't ruin it too badly.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

TACD posted:

edit: nevermind, YOU were the one who mentioned Typora.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 21, 2021

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I just solved one of my major long-term concerns with Monterey and beyond: printing to my ancient LaserJet printer. I have a LaserJet 4350dtn, and the only drivers for it are in the HP driver pack on Apple's site. Thing is, they're Intel drivers, so at some point (unless they provide ARM versions, which I kinda doubt they will), they'll stop working on my M1 Max MBP. Plus there's the issue of having to modify the installation package to not refuse to install on anything above 11.x.

My solution? AirPrint. I figured there were probably enough iOS users out there that somebody had created a way of turning an old printer into an AirPrint printer, and I was right. In case anybody else is in a similar situation and has a server to use to handle the AirPrint stuff, I figured I'd write up info on that since it was not exactly straightforward. It's for FreeBSD (since that's what I run on my servers), but it should translate to Linux with some modifications.

First, I had to install CUPS, Avahi, and a printer driver. CUPS is the open source printing framework that's most common on *NIX systems today, Avahi is used for Bonjour services (which AirPrint is built on), and then the driver is just a CUPS driver for my printer. Originally, I tried the Gutenprint drivers, but I had some really awful quality issues with those. PCL printing looked like I'd faxed it to myself, and Postscript printing had some graphical bugs. However, the HPLIP drivers worked great. So, basically, I did this (as root):

pkg install print/cups net/avahi print/hplip print/py-pycups

From there, I enabled the CUPS and Avahi daemons, as well as the DBUS dependency for Avahi:

sysrc cups_enable="YES"
sysrc avahi_daemon_enable="YES"
sysrc dbus_enable="YES"

I also needed to configure CUPS to be able to access the printer and then I added the AirPrint MIME types:

echo "image/urf urf string(0,UNIRAST<00>)" > /usr/local/share/cups/mime/airprint.types
echo "image/urf application/vnd.cups-postscript 66 pdftops" > /usr/local/share/cups/mime/airprint.convs

Next was starting CUPS and DBUS:

service dbus start
service cupsd start

After that, since I run my server headless, I enabled remote CUPS administration:

cupsctl --remote-admin

I connedted to http://myserver:631 and got my printer set up using the Postscript driver specific to my printer. Next up was getting Avahi to use it.

I used this Python script (with one modification) to generate an Avahi service file (which I then had to tweak a bit). The modification I made to the script was to set application/vnd.cups-postscript to True in the DOCUMENT_TYPES section. I ran it with:

python airprint-generate.py

It queried the local CUPS instance and generated a .service file for Avahi.

If I didn't have a duplexing unit, I would have been done here. Since I do, though, I had to make two modifications to the .service file. First, I had to modify the <txt-record> tag with the URF= line to be URF=DM3 (which I got from some Debian docs). I also had to add another <txt-record> tag with Duplex=T (found it on some forum post somewhere).

Finally, I copied the .service file to /usr/local/etc/avahi/services/ and then started up Avahi:

service avahi-daemon start

And then I could finally print via AirPrint to my printer. It was a huge pain in the rear end figuring all that out, but at least I don't have to worry about it now.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

TACD posted:

Sublime Text?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

TACD posted:

Found this. https://www.markdownguide.org/tools/

Seems comprehensive.

e: seems like https://notable.app/ might be what you want.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 22, 2021

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

:words:

And then I could finally print via AirPrint to my printer. It was a huge pain in the rear end figuring all that out, but at least I don't have to worry about it now.

Yeah, you deffo get awarded the thread No-Prize For Printer Janitoring Beyond All Reasonable Expectations :D but thanks for detailing your steps in case someone else, uh, HAS to keep something like an old HP LaserJet 5M running in the new OS.

I actually did a quick check of all the Mac HP Utilities I could gather from their website, and disappointingly not a single file contains even one single byte of M1 code; about the only thing I could give HP credit for is that everything is 64-bit as it should be, including HP Smart and HP Easy Admin, which means as long as Rosetta is around most HP drivers should still work.

But man is there gonna be a lot of weeping and gnashing of teethies once they yank it..

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Printer manufacturers are just as bad at writing Windows drivers. 2021 and they are still rushing to get type 4 drivers out, a feature introduced in Server 2012.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.parallels.com/blogs/parallels-toolbox-5-1/

One of the newest features of Parallels Desktop is.. a CPU thermometer?!

Welp, might be better for people still using Intels than M1s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

It’s pretty common to set up a Raspberry Pi as a cheap AirPrint server.