Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Why the gently caress didn't this thing come out, idk, like last year, and for 20-50 dollars cheaper or bundled with a game? Because then they could probably have tricked me into buying one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
That new 2ds looks real nice.

I'm liking the design of this and switch, Nintendo finally seems to have gotten away from that thicker toy looking aesthetic.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Monos Bullet posted:

I'm liking the design of this and switch, Nintendo finally seems to have gotten away from that thicker toy looking aesthetic.

I mean the n2dsxl still looks a bit more toyish than the switch but yeah its definitely a step up. It seemed like the last good looking portable console was the gba micro until these recent iterations.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The 2DS is supposed to be the budget line, and the platform is on its final stretch, so the price doesn't quite make sense to me. Sure looks nice, though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't believe they called the sixth 3DS the New 2DS XL.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KingSlime posted:

what

why

why are you guys buying this?? just to save $50? You're not really saving money if you're buying a console you had no plans of getting as of this morning though...

what does it even do that other models don't, i'm so confused right now (doubly so at how excited some of you who already own a 3ds seem to be)

I want it because it looks nice. It has also the features added in the New 3DS, which are, in order of useful to pointless: better CPU, (faster loading times in some games and SNES VC), Amiibo support (bonus poo poo in games), and C-stick and ZL/ZR buttons (only used in a select few games that support them). To add insult to injury, the nearly useless C-stick and ZL/ZR buttons in the New 3DL were really poorly implemented--your thumb jams up against the hinge when using the C-stick (they actually cut a bit out from the hinge to help, but it doesn't) and the ZL/ZR buttons are tiny and make you adjust your grip on the console to push them (maybe that's just me though)

Basically the New Nintendo 2DS XL® is what the new 3DS should have been in the first place, and that's why I want it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monos Bullet posted:

It's more of a "this thing has to survive being in the hands of small children" aesthetic, which amounts to the same thing, really.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

lelandjs posted:

I want it because it looks nice. It has also the features added in the New 3DS, which are, in order of useful to pointless: better CPU, (faster loading times in some games and SNES VC), Amiibo support (bonus poo poo in games), and C-stick and ZL/ZR buttons (only used in a select few games that support them). To add insult to injury, the nearly useless C-stick and ZL/ZR buttons in the New 3DL were really poorly implemented--your thumb jams up against the hinge when using the C-stick (they actually cut a bit out from the hinge to help, but it doesn't) and the ZL/ZR buttons are tiny and make you adjust your grip on the console to push them (maybe that's just me though)

Basically the New Nintendo 2DS XL® is what the new 3DS should have been in the first place, and that's why I want it.

meh unless you've never had a "new" version of any 3DS, those seem like exceedingly minor improvements, if you're upgrading from a regular 3ds/2ds or XL then yeah I totally get it

but also it is your money and you are free to spend it as you wish

*looks at collection of largely untouched music recording equipment that was purchased over the last 12 months*

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's also the fact that the last time that Nintendo released a surprise console revision to a portable console following a new portable console generation release it was the Game Boy Micro, which is now one of the most sought-after versions of the GBA. So there's the "future collectable" aspect to the New 2DS XL as well IMHO

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 28, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

KingSlime posted:

meh unless you've never had a "new" version of any 3DS, those seem like exceedingly minor improvements, if you're upgrading from a regular 3ds/2ds or XL then yeah I totally get it

I hadn't had a handheld since the DS lite until I finally got a N3DSXL 5-6 months ago, so

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Why the gently caress didn't this thing come out, idk, like last year, and for 20-50 dollars cheaper or bundled with a game? Because then they could probably have tricked me into buying one.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah I snagged my new 3ds xl a few months ago for $150 refurb

if the option for a 2ds xl had been available then (and nintendo's refurbs wouldn't have been $50 cheaper than retail), I would have gone for the non-3d version for sure

I'm not a fan of the price tag for this new model though I guess it makes sense given that it's basically a new XL with a single feature stripped out

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Out of curiosity, what's the price difference like between a new2DS and a new3DS in US dollars if the new2DS is $150US?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
$49, new ones retail for $199

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I still don't fully understand the price point, and I don't think it'll have the lifespan to ever feasibly hit 100/120 usd when people would still jump at it, since the selling point of the 2ds was it could be bought for like 80 bucks.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
nintendo is loving weird man

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wonder if it comes with a charger.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
holy poo poo thats a great question lol

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Well now, I really like the design of this new2DSXL, plus the paint on my current new3DSXL is rubbing off the sides and top shell- also my circle pad gets stuck if I push on it too hard.

But, I really love the 3D effect, the only times I would turn it off was for games that ran better in 2D, and to be honest I haven't touched my 3DS much at all since the Switch came out

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wonder if it comes with a charger.

It does!

http://www.nintendo.com/2ds/features/compare/

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
scratch that boys, this model is roughly $58 cheaper than a new 3ds xl

this changes everything

that said I bought me one of those snazzy USB chargers off of Amazon and have not looked back

Cerebro
May 1, 2009

I bet Nintendo will release a 3D version of that and call it the new 3DS XXL

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Japan's getting a Dragon Quest 11 hardware bundle with a metal slime 2DS XL: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2017/170428_2.html

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Japan's getting a Dragon Quest 11 hardware bundle with a metal slime 2DS XL: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2017/170428_2.html

I want that.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

It looks really cool

Why does it look cool

Do I really need another 3DS in my life

I have a 2ds, and a n3ds. I've been thinking of getting a 3dsxl... now I'll just grab this instead.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

I've never hated the 3DS region lock more than this very moment...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I've never hated the 3DS region lock more than this very moment...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You could always import this instead: https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/detail/4904/20170428-dq11.html

The metal slime on the case is a USB cover.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

IT'S loving TEXTURED

https://twitter.com/FarmboyinJapan/status/857853246882299905

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's loving stupid. I want it

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Australia's getting four new Selects games on May 11, $30AUD:

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Luigi's Mansion 2
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Paper Mario Sticker Star

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Is it me or does the screen look bigger on the new 2ds? Or is it because they cut down on the bezel a little bit?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

Is it me or does the screen look bigger on the new 2ds? Or is it because they cut down on the bezel a little bit?

Specs confirm it's the same size screen. The bezels being gone add to the illusion.

https://www.nintendo.com/2ds/features/compare/

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Okay thanks for confirming. As someone with a new 3ds xl. I might buy this when they put it on clearance or something in a few years.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

You could always import this instead: https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/detail/4904/20170428-dq11.html

The metal slime on the case is a USB cover.

homeless snail posted:

That's loving stupid. I want it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

TheScott2K posted:

On one hand I never got a 3DS,

I don't understand

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Xenomrph posted:

What games do people feel have utilized the 3D the best? I'm letting "best" be as broadly defined as people want it to be (clever use for gameplay mechanics, visually interesting, etc).

My vote would go to Kirby Triple Deluxe, that was seriously some of the coolest and consistently engaging use of 3D I've seen in any 3DS game I've played.
There were definitely some parts of Mario 3D Land that were helped by having the 3D, though I still played most of that game with it off because I played it on my non-XL 3DS where the 3D gave me a headache.

My best 3D experience was probably Link Between Worlds, it worked really well there and didn't give me a headache on the XL.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

ahhh gently caress me that's great

i'd still rather put the money towards a switch but god drat if i wouldn't have loved getting this console three months ago as opposed to my generic gray one!!

NINTEEEEENDO!!! :argh:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Shovel Knight with 3D is great. Most every game uses it in a nice fashion. If you keep it at like 1/3 power or whatever it's very enjoyable.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

drat it Nintendo. I finally got my first 3DS a month and a half ago and now they're coming out with one that want more. I don't care about 3D but the clam shell was the deal breaker on why I didn't go with the 2DS. I want something slightly smaller and lighter.

Maybe they'll make a new 2DS Micro? I love the poo poo out my GBA Micro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
don't give them ideas GoodBee