Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The Follower Javelin is fun to make mischief with in the arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'm having a weird problem where I have two characters hanging out after having beat the game specifically for when these DLC hit.

Problem is, one of these characters was able to do the DLC just fine and then the second one Gael just... isn't there.
From what I can tell, they both did the exact same poo poo? I think I got a different ending in both but neither was the Lord of Hollows one. Whatever the case, I just straight-up can't access the DLC with this second character because Gael just won't spawn. It worked on the first dude.

Edit: nevermind he's here now????? He just spawned in arbitrarily finally. :psyduck:

This is after reloading the zone like six times. Utterly bizarre.

mdct fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 26, 2016

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I'm having a weird problem where I have two characters hanging out after having beat the game specifically for when these DLC hit.

Problem is, one of these characters was able to do the DLC just fine and then the second one Gael just... isn't there.
From what I can tell, they both did the exact same poo poo? I think I got a different ending in both but neither was the Lord of Hollows one. Whatever the case, I just straight-up can't access the DLC with this second character because Gael just won't spawn. It worked on the first dude.

Edit: nevermind he's here now????? He just spawned in arbitrarily finally. :psyduck:

This is after reloading the zone like six times. Utterly bizarre.

I had a thing earlier where, near the end of the DLC, it kicked me off and said I didn't have the license to play it. Then I loaded back in and it was fine again. Definitely seems to be some weird stuff going on somewhere.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

Regarding weapons:
I need to transfer valorheart to my quality build dude. It looks like a lot of fun! I feel like the only real winners in the DLC were the dual weapons (except the crow talons, which should have been cool but somehow still seem to suffer from the exact same garbage lack of range as the normal claws despite looking bigger, they also had the standard claw moveset) because they were the only ones that got legitimately new movesets. Everything else was pretty much bog standard movesets for their weapon type with an oddball weapon art slapped on. I mean, yeah, the onyx blade weapon art looks really cool and it's an effective greatsword for a pyromancer, but it's just... not that interesting aside from the really rad weapon art animation? They particularly missed an opportunity with Friede's scythe. They COULd have pulled a lot of stuff from her moveset for its normal combos, but nada, exact same scythe combo. Why? Also, the stat scaling on it is weird. A Sorcerer can't afford the dex investment to really make it shine and a dex character is basically dumping whatever points they can spare into int purely for this weapon if they want to use it to full potential. Like, who exactly is it for buildwise?

Onyx Greatsword is great because it gives pyro builds an actual greatsword option, which they previously didn't have. Doubly great now that greatswords have been buffed.

The scythe does have new moves for its 2handed moveset, although amusingly, the standard 1handed scythe moves are better thanks to the speed buff in the patch. As for stats, it's clearly meant for an Int/Dex build, which previously didn't have a weapon so that's a good thing. Though it's still more a dex weapon than an Int once since I believe the magic damage is only applied on the ice attacks.

As for other stuff, Millwood Battleaxe's version of Warcry is loving great. It's otherwise a standard axe, yeah, but the charge prior to the actual cry let's you rush in, stun enemies with the charge, and then swing away. Highly useful in PVP, and I imagine it's useful in PVE versus easily stunned enemies. The Javelin gives you a ranged option while wielding a spear which is useful. Follower Saber's skill is also great.

While I would like some more unique stuff, frankly I'd rather have the standard good movesets with some unique stuff attached since a lot of the new stuff From includes tend to be bad or extremely situational.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Genocyber posted:

Onyx Greatsword is great because it gives pyro builds an actual greatsword option, which they previously didn't have. Doubly great now that greatswords have been buffed.

The scythe does have new moves for its 2handed moveset, although amusingly, the standard 1handed scythe moves are better thanks to the speed buff in the patch. As for stats, it's clearly meant for an Int/Dex build, which previously didn't have a weapon so that's a good thing. Though it's still more a dex weapon than an Int once since I believe the magic damage is only applied on the ice attacks.

As for other stuff, Millwood Battleaxe's version of Warcry is loving great. It's otherwise a standard axe, yeah, but the charge prior to the actual cry let's you rush in, stun enemies with the charge, and then swing away. Highly useful in PVP, and I imagine it's useful in PVE versus easily stunned enemies. The Javelin gives you a ranged option while wielding a spear which is useful. Follower Saber's skill is also great.

While I would like some more unique stuff, frankly I'd rather have the standard good movesets with some unique stuff attached since a lot of the new stuff From includes tend to be bad or extremely situational.

but the way stat scaling for magic works, you basically have to go full wizard or not at all, and if you go full wizard, then you basically can't afford diddly for strength or dex. The only reason the moonlight greatsword works, for example, is because it's basically only int scaling. Unfortunately, From kind of killed the notion of a hybrid caster with the absurd stat investment needed.

Are you sure there's new 2-handed moves? Looked the same to me. There are neat weapon arts, sure, but i just seemed... I dunno, a bit lazy? Or overly cautious, like they were afraid to experiment.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm swimming in new weapons now but idk which ones to invest in. anyone got any favorites? I'm running a quality build but I'm not against redistributing my points into something else

Internet Kraken posted:

If you ever want to just grab that item you can just rub your face against the cliff and jump until you get boosted up. There are at least two other places you can sequence break in this DLC by doing that.

ah cool, I'll keep that in mind for if I run through again on another character

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Follower's Saber

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'll be so disappointed if the last dlc has nothing to do with the deep

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speedran my newest bird-themed character over to the DLC, this is how I'm gonna spend the rest of the game :getin:

Now if only I could get my favorite talon-footed pants from DS2, the Shadow Leggings:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'll be so disappointed if the last dlc has nothing to do with the deep

I was actually wondering myself if the rot in the Painted World is their version of the Deep. The Painted World rotting is similar to the end of the age of fire in the real word. The end of the age of the fire seems to accompany the coming of the Deep. The Deep is associated with insects, and the rot infesting the Painted World is accompanied by fly men and maggot eggs. Of course, there's nothing more to this than some similarities. No item descriptions or anything else hinting at any sort of connection, so I'm more inclined to think of it as a coincidence.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

but the way stat scaling for magic works, you basically have to go full wizard or not at all, and if you go full wizard, then you basically can't afford diddly for strength or dex. The only reason the moonlight greatsword works, for example, is because it's basically only int scaling. Unfortunately, From kind of killed the notion of a hybrid caster with the absurd stat investment needed.

Are you sure there's new 2-handed moves? Looked the same to me. There are neat weapon arts, sure, but i just seemed... I dunno, a bit lazy? Or overly cautious, like they were afraid to experiment.

Again, I'm talking about a Dex/Int build. If you're doing that you're using primarily weapon buffs when you're using weapons that can take them and utility spells, maybe some offensive magic for a ranged option. It's not as good as the previous games due to high investment needed for especially good damage which limits your options a bit more, but it's still viable, especially now that there's a weapon specifically statted for it.

It does have unique 2handed r1s, though they're not different in use since they're still a kind of diagonal slashes.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm swimming in new weapons now but idk which ones to invest in. anyone got any favorites? I'm running a quality build but I'm not against redistributing my points into something else

Use Follower's Sabre before they nerf the poo poo out of it. It's a top tier curved sword with a pretty crazy skill, especially versus other players though it's still pretty good against easily stunned enemies or enemies with shields thanks to its guard breaking ability.

Crow Quill is super good; fairly long rapier with more powerful crits and a really good l1 when you do the dual-wield stance.

And of course the Valorheart is really unique and has mostly new moves when dual-wielded.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Obligatum VII posted:

What I don't get is though, who the heck was that voice at the start of phase 3? I swear it sounded like Aldia... but it's more like Kaathe or something

I just figured it was that dude who tricks you into the scrap of the painting. Also kinda sounds like Spooky Laurence from Bloodborne making a Dark Souls cameo. Idk I've totally checked out at this point and I'm with Miyazaki on "I'm done with Datk Souls" lol

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm pretty sure its just Ariandel talking. I mean yes this is right after he went berserk and blew up but Dark Souls. Not like bosses haven't monologued after death before.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cool, I'll try the follower's sabre out

after killing the first boss, there's a thing saying to gesture. is that an actual thing or what?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The DLC was a bit all over the place when it comes to difficulty. With a level 82 character I didn't die very much, but there were a few points that required cheesing finding novel solutions, like separating the crow assassin from his knightly colleague by opening up the door and going outside where the knight was too big to follow. It does look very possible for low level characters to Yakety Sax their way to most of the important things to pick up, with Vilhem being the biggest roadblock in that plan. Doing the bosses at low levels seems like a Bad Idea.

Ariandel sounds like Benhart.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Your Computer posted:

Is there a way to cheese the Crystal Sage?

I'm trying to figure out how quickly I can get to the DLC on a fresh character :madmax:

On my strength character, black knight UGS was pretty much able to one shot him. Good weapon, stupid good. I don't think I ever stopped using it once I got it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Paracelsus posted:

It does look very possible for low level characters to Yakety Sax their way to most of the important things to pick up, with Vilhem being the biggest roadblock in that plan. Doing the bosses at low levels seems like a Bad Idea.

I picked up the crow weapons on a fresh, criminally underleveled character so I can confirm this. As long as you're running, nothing really catches up to you so you're free to pick up anything you want since almost everything in this DLC is just lying on the ground instead of in chests or as drops :v: Vilhelm can be parried, right? If so, he's not a huge roadblock either (compared to a boss) :getin:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

how many bosses are there in the dlc? I've killed friede+her dad and champ+doggo thus far

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

how many bosses are there in the dlc? I've killed friede+her dad and champ+doggo thus far

You killed all the bosses.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, the birbweapons have so cool attacks. Do all dualwield weapons have this many attacks? There's a different attack when running, rolling, etc. if you press R1 or L1 and they have vastly different uses. I love it! :swoon:

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's all, unfortunately. Pretty short DLC compared to DS2/Bloodborne.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

guess I'm done then

dlc was alright. I liked the areas and the optional boss, but I'm still a little underwhelmed for some reason. I guess I was expecting this to get me excited to play dark souls 3 in the same way that the previous dlcs did for their games, but... eh. idk that I'll ever play this again, whereas with bloodborne and dark souls 2 I took several characters through in a row because I was enjoying it that much

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 26, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone got some ~*~hot theories~*~ about the painter yet?

1) Has spooky eyes
2) Dark tendril-y (or perhaps scaley?) things on neck
3) Makes an adorable "ta-dah!" motion when showing you her canvas
4) Mother... who?

e: wait nvm I figured it out she's Velka

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 26, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd guess she is Priscilla's daughter. She has lizard eyes and small scales meaning she is another serpent hybrid. Probably didn't inherit as many dragon traits due to not having a literal dragon as their parent. Long hair coiling behind her is supposed to evocative of a dragon's tail.

I ended the DLC by smashing her stupid face onto the blank canvas. No, you don't get to paint. We're done with paintings. No more paintings ever again :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I legit forgot she was in the dlc

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Your Computer posted:

Oh man, the birbweapons have so cool attacks. Do all dualwield weapons have this many attacks? There's a different attack when running, rolling, etc. if you press R1 or L1 and they have vastly different uses. I love it! :swoon:

That's all, unfortunately. Pretty short DLC compared to DS2/Bloodborne.

Is it really much shorter than the dark souls 2 DLC? They all followed a similar pattern of large main area with two bosses, side area with third optional and usually poo poo boss. Each DLC had at least one humanoid boss too. Gank squad, fume knight, ivory king.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Again, I'm talking about a Dex/Int build. If you're doing that you're using primarily weapon buffs when you're using weapons that can take them and utility spells, maybe some offensive magic for a ranged option. It's not as good as the previous games due to high investment needed for especially good damage which limits your options a bit more, but it's still viable, especially now that there's a weapon specifically statted for it.

It does have unique 2handed r1s, though they're not different in use since they're still a kind of diagonal slashes.

Use Follower's Sabre before they nerf the poo poo out of it. It's a top tier curved sword with a pretty crazy skill, especially versus other players though it's still pretty good against easily stunned enemies or enemies with shields thanks to its guard breaking ability.

Crow Quill is super good; fairly long rapier with more powerful crits and a really good l1 when you do the dual-wield stance.

And of course the Valorheart is really unique and has mostly new moves when dual-wielded.

Where do you get the crow Quill from (Want to try on my dex luck build), I know the sabre is from the roots

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's about as long as the dark souls 2 dlc sans coop areas

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

People is forgetting now how DS DLC hosed over magic users by making every enemy resistant to eberything but pure physical damage or the co-op areas being garbage like Iron Passage or Frigid Outskirts. They still were good DLC of course but it seems that everyone is making GBS threads on DS3 now when it's a good game and I'm sure that it'll get the SOTFS treatment making it a better game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's okay, when DS4 comes out everyone will decide that 3 was actually great.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hnnnggghhhhhh the Crow Talons are so much fun :tviv:

They look sweet, the animations are sweet, they deal good damage and the moveset versatility is amazing. Two combos, a strong attack, a super attack, two rolling attacks, two running attacks, two backstep attacks, a jumping attack. They feel really good to use. This is gonna be a fun playthrough!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dark souls 2 hosed over magic users long before the dlc was released, and they continued to do it afterwards. that doesn't matter for why people like the dlc. they liked it because the areas were better than the old areas. in fact, all of the previous souls dlc has been a step up from the base games. the areas in the ds3 dlc are good but they're not better than what's in the base game

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd guess she is Priscilla's daughter. She has lizard eyes and small scales meaning she is another serpent hybrid. Probably didn't inherit as many dragon traits due to not having a literal dragon as their parent. Long hair coiling behind her is supposed to evocative of a dragon's tail.

I ended the DLC by smashing her stupid face onto the blank canvas. No, you don't get to paint. We're done with paintings. No more paintings ever again :colbert:

ariandiel is also guarding the corpse of priscilla in a lil shrine/i think the church is straight up dedicated to her. though the paintings all over the church are of efriede so ???

the description on friede's armor is actually kinda neat and suggests that she actually abandoned the sable church to try and become the savior of the painted world in her own hosed up way

also check the description on the 'ariandel's flail' weapon and look at the kid's (we never got a name for the kid, right?) painter tools. it's something i noticed before i saw the description but it's a small neato touch.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 26, 2016

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Platypus Farm posted:

Well, to further clarify, I also love souls content. I was really looking forward to the DLC and was just underwhelmed. To me, it felt like some random zone in the middle of Dark Souls 2 that really didn't have much to do with anything. It had some neat equipment and a couple bosses, and that was it. The whole thing just felt really uninteresting to me.

e: and yeah I also have never once cared about PVP in a souls game. So I'm completely open to being flatly wrong about that part.

an average Dark Souls 2 Zone would be a straight Hall. Or if you're lucky a hall with some hidden rooms to not one but both sides. I actually like dark souls 2 but the base game has the worst area design in the series by far

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You know what I want from DLC 2?

More (and better) hats :colbert: DS3 has the worst headwear in the series.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

I AM THE MOON posted:

an average Dark Souls 2 Zone would be a straight Hall. Or if you're lucky a hall with some hidden rooms to not one but both sides. I actually like dark souls 2 but the base game has the worst area design in the series by far

Hey buddy, you're talking about the game that gave us Shaded "Oh those are not player ghosts and oh they can backstab you" Woods. Also the Grotto and... uh... Maybe that harbor town?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Your Computer posted:

You know what I want from DLC 2?

More (and better) hats :colbert: DS3 has the worst headwear in the series.

i want logans hat without the stupid crow mask!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Is it really much shorter than the dark souls 2 DLC? They all followed a similar pattern of large main area with two bosses, side area with third optional and usually poo poo boss. Each DLC had at least one humanoid boss too. Gank squad, fume knight, ivory king.

I don't think it's short so much as just extremely uninspired and lacking in variety. Like remember Sunken King where you had to trek your way through a underground aztecan city being overseen by Sinh and then descend into a giant pyramid filled with traps and rituals you had to disrupt and poo poo? And it had actual unique environmental mechanics as well as encounters that were blended into puzzles and weird poo poo like the healing trees and Jester Thomas.

This DLC is just like... here's some loving snow and what looks like the same lovely ruins and ramshackle huts we've seen a million times before. It doesn't even look that great, especially when you descend into the depths. This is by far the laziest effort by FROM yet in my opinion.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think it's short so much as just extremely uninspired and lacking in variety. Like remember Sunken King where you had to trek your way through a underground aztecan city being overseen by Sinh and then descend into a giant pyramid filled with traps and rituals you had to disrupt and poo poo? And it had actual unique environmental mechanics as well as encounters that were blended into puzzles and weird poo poo like the healing trees and Jester Thomas.

This DLC is just like... here's some loving snow and what looks like the same lovely ruins and ramshackle huts we've seen a million times before. It doesn't even look that great, especially when you descend into the depths. This is by far the laziest effort by FROM yet in my opinion.

It's a fitting DLC for Dark souls "hey you know what I think people really want to know more about? Gwyn's extended family!" three. Story and setting is mediocre. But it plays the best so it's still fun and I think most people just kinda overlook how lackluster the "plot" is. The loving cathedral man. The HQ of a deranged evil religion that worships a being able to eat gods. It's just a big open space. It's so loving dull and anti-climatic. That's DS3 including this DLC in a nutshell.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 26, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Jeez really the dlc areas in 2 were considered steps up? They felt like a terrible slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Jeez really the dlc areas in 2 were considered steps up? They felt like a terrible slog.

Compared to this boring terrible slog, sure