Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Oceakin posted:

Holy poo poo. I've been out of touch with post rock for about 6 years. Can someone catch me up with who I should be listening to? Explosions, Godspeed were my faves back then.

Henchman of Santa posted:

You'll be happy to know that Godspeed has released two albums in the last few years!

...but Explosions mainly do soundtracks now. Sadly, not soundtracks as great as Friday Night Lights.

Also check out Russian Circles (up-tempo, math-rocky), This Will Destroy You (more atmospheric, down tempo), Tortoise (jazz-fusion PR), Mogwai, Red Forest... Actually, you'll know those from 6 years ago (mainly). I can't speak for the newest bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Godspeed's going on tour real soon, too. I'm going to see them live for the 2nd time in like 2.5 weeks.

Oceakin
May 13, 2004

Cowabunga Bitches!
Awesome. Thanks guys. Checking tour dates and downloading albums soon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I wouldn't really call Russian Circles math rocky. More metallic. Maybeshewill are math-rocky (and fantastic although the last album was kind of boring). The first two And So I Watch You From Afar albums are must-haves as well.

Oceakin
May 13, 2004

Cowabunga Bitches!
Always went back and forth with Mogwai. Albums were always ok, but concerts would make your ears bleed. Even had a friend go to a different concert and just couldn't stand it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I don't get it, what's the joke?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

I wanna hear some post-rock diss tracks.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

chunkles posted:

I wanna hear some post-rock diss tracks.

blur: are shite

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Oceakin posted:

Holy poo poo. I've been out of touch with post rock for about 6 years. Can someone catch me up with who I should be listening to? Explosions, Godspeed were my faves back then.

Check out my website(shameless plug) https://echoesanddust.com! We have a running playlist highlighting what we think are the best post-rock releases of the year, available here.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 4, 2015

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

New Caspian single from their next album Dust and Disquiet (Sept 25).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf7HC9na4Kc

It's worth sticking with it past the intro

chunkles fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 9, 2015

Lenore03
Apr 22, 2010
Anyone know if the new Mouse on the Keys is being sold digitally anywhere? Was expecting it to be up by now on itunes or something.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Just got back from the Godspeed You! Black Emperor concert at the 930 club in DC. I honestly enjoyed the 2011 performance more, but they played the entirety of Asunder, Sweet and Other and debuted a new song that was absolutely incredible. It was like hearing Albanian/Mladic before Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! came out. I cannot wait for them to do a recording of it. The projection work was still pretty good and I got some video of The Sad Mafioso at the end which is nice because I'm getting scared every time I see them might be the last time before they go into hibernation for another 8 years like they did from 2003 to 2011. I really hope that isn't the case because they've clearly got some new stuff coming down the pipeline with them playing a new song while on tour.

If people are interested I can share my pics/videos here, although they might be potato quality as my phone is just not good at getting pictures or video in the dark. The sound is usually pretty good though.

Oh and they did probably the best live version of Moya I've ever heard. They were just really, really dialed in tonight, everyone played amazingly.

Basically, if you're even casually interested in GY!BE you should make an effort to see them.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Godspeed's going on tour real soon, too. I'm going to see them live for the 2nd time in like 2.5 weeks.

Yep! They're on tour right now and are (probably) coming to your city if you live on the East Coast or Europe! Seriously go check if they're coming to your city. They just did NY and DC and are going all over the US East Coast in September and then Europe in October/November.

http://cstrecords.com/gybe/

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

...but Explosions mainly do soundtracks now. Sadly, not soundtracks as great as Friday Night Lights.

Also check out Russian Circles (up-tempo, math-rocky), This Will Destroy You (more atmospheric, down tempo), Tortoise (jazz-fusion PR), Mogwai, Red Forest... Actually, you'll know those from 6 years ago (mainly). I can't speak for the newest bands.

Russian Circles is really good, although I always thought of it as post-metal. Really good for when you need to crank out a bunch of work. This Will Destroy You I'm a bit meh on, but they're not bad, just not my exact style. All those other bands are great examples.

I'm gonna throw in Mono as another suggestion. The album they did with World's End Girlfriend (Palmless Prayer / Mass Murder Refrain) is great. It's 5 songs all of which are evolving around a central theme. It seems really, really sad to me though. :smith:

El Ten Eleven is good too, they're just very chill all around. Great if you need to listen to some stuff to unwind.

Finally, if you really like GYBE, A Silver Mt. Zion might be up your alley. It's a side project of theirs and while it has a lot of non-GYBE things (like lyrics) the earlier stuff is fantastic.

If you're really, really into GYBE and like their more drony stuff, Set Fire to Flames is another good choice. I tried really hard to like them but only found a few bits and pieces that I liked in addition to unearthing all my nightmares.

One of their albums (Telegraphs in Negative/Mouths Trapped in Static)was recorded in an :ghost: abandoned barn in rural Ontario :ghost: while the other (Sings Reign Rebuilder) was recorded in :ghost: a 100-year old condemned house :ghost:. Both albums were recorded in "states of little or no sleep, in varying levels of intoxication, and in physical confinement" so it's perfect for bringing out your inner paranoia. It's got a real spooky/eerie element to it, in addition to the cover art being terrifying.

and

:gonk: So yeah. Listen to those ones if you don't wanna sleep.

Oh and if you're an Explosions in the Sky fan they're touring :siren: RIGHT NOW :siren: with Death Cab for Cutie of all bands for 3 days only. I'll be seeing them open for Death Cab on Sunday up at the Merriweather Post Pavilion. Really lucky I'll be seeing them as it looks like only the Boston, NYC and DC/Baltimore shows are getting them. Those shows are the 11th, 12th and 13th respectively.

http://deathcabforcutie.com/tour/ or http://www.explosionsinthesky.com/shows

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 10, 2015

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Unless this is a monumental tease, they might be making a studio album again, maybe? https://www.facebook.com/ExplosionsInTheSkyMusic/photos/a.453795654986.62678.6876129986/10150538293784987/?type=1&permPage=1

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

There's been four years between every album since The Earth is not.... I don't think there's anything out of the ordinary about this current gap.

Oceakin
May 13, 2004

Cowabunga Bitches!
Going to see Godspeed on September 22nd in Cleveland. Can't freakin wait.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oceakin posted:

Going to see Godspeed on September 22nd in Cleveland. Can't freakin wait.
Nice! I'm gonna see them tonight :hfive:

e: Holy gently caress, they were great. They played the Hope Drone, all of Asunder, a new song, Moya and Mladic. (I think that's it but there may have been one more.) They sounded so full and loud and powerful. The new song was amazing. I can't wait to hear a studio version of that. Go see them if you get the chance for sure.

Also the opener (Xylouris White) were surprisingly awesome. Just 2 guys, but man, there was a lot of sound coming from those 2 guys.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 13, 2015

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Well, in facebook update news, maybeshewill announced their upcoming tour will be their last, and yndi halda posted a cryptic "wait 5 hours" message about 4 hours ago...

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

WoG posted:

Well, in facebook update news, maybeshewill announced their upcoming tour will be their last,
Totally loving gutted over this :(

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I can understand why, Fair Youth had all the hallmarks of a band that have run out of ideas. It's been a good run.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just wish they had at least toured America once.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

I just wish they had at least toured America once.

Start booking flights.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

e: Holy gently caress, they were great. They played the Hope Drone, all of Asunder, a new song, Moya and Mladic. (I think that's it but there may have been one more.) They sounded so full and loud and powerful. The new song was amazing. I can't wait to hear a studio version of that. Go see them if you get the chance for sure.

Also the opener (Xylouris White) were surprisingly awesome. Just 2 guys, but man, there was a lot of sound coming from those 2 guys.

That's the same set list they played in DC. What did you think of the new stuff? My hope is this means we have another new album coming soon...

I thought Xylouris White was fun too. I really liked the guy on the drums, he looked like he was having so much fun out there. :unsmith:

In other news, I just saw the Explosions in the Sky show with Death Cab for Cutie last night and holy poo poo. I think EITS outplayed Death Cab, and Death Cab acknowledged near the end how absolutely incredible the EITS set was. They said they were really fortunate/happy to have them along because their music is so awesome. No new music unfortunately, but drat, they need to do a headlining tour soon so we can hear more. They only played for about 45 minutes, which was a real bummer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

axeil posted:

That's the same set list they played in DC. What did you think of the new stuff? My hope is this means we have another new album coming soon...
I hope so! The new song sounded tonally different from most of the rest of the set but really loving awesome. If that's what to expect from their next record, then I'm really looking forward to it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Are there any artists that play music in the same vein as 65DoS's Tiger Girl?

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Junkenstein posted:

Are there any artists that play music in the same vein as 65DoS's Tiger Girl?
If by same you mean slow building wall of noise apocalypse then gently caress Buttons have a few tracks like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQXSsbQCMs

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Caspian's new album is streaming on...the New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/08/05/arts/music/press-play.html

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Post rock is moving to in the world!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've only listened to Dust & Disquiet once all the way through on headphones, but I wouldn't hesitate to call it one of my favorite albums of the year even after just 1 listen. The vocals work well and don't sound out of place like they did on, say, the new Mono album.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Does anyone know what's happening with Tortoise? They haven't released anything new since 2009. Apparently they started recording new material in 2013 but so far no word on new releases.

BTW, if you get a chance to see them live - do. They play a huge range of instruments and they are all multi-instrumentalists, sometimes swapping instruments during songs. They play some songs with two drummers and they always have at least percussion parts in every song. They are great fun to watch and anyone of you who is a percussion player really should see them. There are plenty of live videos on youtube.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

chunkles posted:

Caspian's new album is streaming on...the New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/08/05/arts/music/press-play.html

this owns

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
I'm only up to the third song and it does indeed own.

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

Just finished my first listen through, definitely owns. Tracks 4 and 5 are something I did not really expect from Caspian, but goddamn they make it work.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

I'm going tonight, so excited! Are they selling any merchandise on this tour?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

68k posted:

I'm going tonight, so excited! Are they selling any merchandise on this tour?
Yep! I didn't get anything myself but a buddy of mine who went to the show got a vinyl of Asunder there.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I'm seeing Her Name Is Calla this evening, Masakichi next week, Godspeed next month and Nordic Giants the month after.

:fap:

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Memphis show trip report: loving amazing.

1. 'Hope' drone
2. Peasantry
3. Piss Crowns
4. New Song
5. Gathering Storm
6. Mladic

Everything was so good, even better than when I saw them a few years ago. The new song was fantastic, and I cannot wait to hear it released. The highlight for me was probably Gathering Storm, but they played a really awesome version of Mladic to close out the show.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Have we heard the new song before? Anywhere we can get it yet? Archive.org perhaps?

Edit: seems there are a few up.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 19, 2015

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Link?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

https://archive.org/details/godspeedyoublackemperor2015-09-11.flac16

Lots of formats available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The new Caspian album is officially out today!