Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Only 3 of my pedals specifically say 9-18v, so those are the only ones I've tried. Usually companies will put a disclaimer somewhere warning you not to go above 9v if there's any danger of damaging the pedal.

The SolidGoldFX Superdrive sounds pretty much the same at 18v, just with more clean headroom. I think I'll be using it combined with other drive pedals, so there won't be much point running at 18v. I wish I had hung on to my SGFX Beta mk. II, because I see now that it's also capable of 18v.

The Broughton L+HPF and Diamond Bass Comp Jr. both sound better to me at 18v. These are the kind of pedals you leave on all the time, so the more headroom the better, and running at 18v also seems to bring out extra midrange clarity in both of them. It's even possible to run the Broughton at 24v, but I believe that would require both a voltage doubler and a polarity reverser, and would take up both switchable outlets on my power supply.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Juaguocio posted:

If a pedal is capable of taking 9-18 volts, would there ever be a reason not to use the higher voltage? I feel like all my pedals that can take 18v sound much better that way.

If what you have sounds better at 18v and you don't mind providing 18v, no reason not to. I suspect the 9v option is there so you can simply daisy chain off a 9v supply, since that's what a lot of pedals take.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Some pedals take 9v and then run internally at 15v or 18v using a voltage converter and sending 18v into them will blow them up. The Klon does this.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Anyone know anything about Friday Club pedals? Have any thoughts? I know it’s the Mr Black guy, but haven’t checked any of them out yet.

Bumping this, but also asking about about Industrialectric pedals, specifically the RM-N1.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Does anyone else have issues with looper pedals (Jamman Solo XT for me) making a lot of noise when plugged in, and also sucking tone?
I expect a degree of of tone suck but if i go guitar-looper-dirty amp, when I'm playing the part I want to record I get the usual Duncan Invader roar, but when I play back the loop, even with the output on the pedal dimed it comes out sounding more like polite fingerpicked Telecaster. Then sometimes the pedal will do that to my entire sound too, though I found using the 'right' in and out jacks as opposed to 'left/mono' seems to mitigate this.

This is with three different PSUs tried too, including the one that came with it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Anyone know anything about Friday Club pedals? Have any thoughts? I know it’s the Mr Black guy, but haven’t checked any of them out yet.

i’ve owned a cardinale, a fuzzwami, and a pd 100

all were excellent

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m so deeply obsessed with my Mercury 7 that it’s making all my other pedals seem dumb and boring, bless u declan

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

i’ve owned a cardinale, a fuzzwami, and a pd 100

all were excellent

I’m torn between the cardinale and the PD-100. I know they’re drastically different. Would you mind telling me your thoughts on those two? It’d be a big help.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m so deeply obsessed with my Mercury 7 that it’s making all my other pedals seem dumb and boring, bless u declan

It’s really all that, huh? I’ve been feeling it hard, never messed with any meris products before.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

quote:

ANGELO MAZZOCCO
DSP ENGINEER
I get inspired every time I hear Vangelis’s use of reverb on the original Blade Runner soundtrack. It never gets old. I designed the Mercury7’s algorithms to bring those same extra long decays and lush modulated reflections to the pedal world.

Sigh. This gives me gas.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s really all that, huh? I’ve been feeling it hard, never messed with any meris products before.

It gives me the same feeling as the first time I plugged into a tube amp and started twisting knobs. After my first week with it I realized how bored I’ve been by most other gear. Even gear I genuinely like. It’s a special pedal.

Philthy posted:

Sigh. This gives me gas.

Don’t listen to the demos. Definitely don’t ask me anything about it. Don’t assume it does exactly what he claims it does and so much more. Don’t risk it all. Or do? Stay safe out there Philthy.

It’s so good.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

kind of hate you.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I have an ottobit jr and a polymoon and have a strong hankerin for an Enzo, but now I sort of really want a mercury 7 as well. Meris pedals are too good.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

kind of hate you.

:bigtran:

Thorpe posted:

I have an ottobit jr and a polymoon and have a strong hankerin for an Enzo, but now I sort of really want a mercury 7 as well. Meris pedals are too good.

I want them all and will probably grab a Polymoon by the end of this year. I’ve always disliked non BBD delays but that one is too awesome and sounds incredible.

I know I’ve been saying this forever but the Mercury 7 really makes me want to get my YouTube demos going. I know I won’t do it justice but it’s a pedal I feel compelled to share and show people.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

The Mercury is indeed amazing. I sold a Big Sky and i have no regrets.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Pretty happy with this setup (except for the cheap cables- I'm still figuring out what I'm going to replace them with):

The chain goes L+HPF-> Turbo Tuner-> SuperDrive-> Bass Comp Jr.-> Imperial-> JoshWah-> El Capistan-> Whirlwind

All powered by a Zuma mounted on the bottom. L+HPF and Bass Comp at 18v, the rest at 9v.

I can probably fit 1 or 2 more on there if I get some smaller cables, though I'll have to pick up a daisy chain adapter if I want to run more than 9.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

:bigtran:

I want them all and will probably grab a Polymoon by the end of this year. I’ve always disliked non BBD delays but that one is too awesome and sounds incredible.

I know I’ve been saying this forever but the Mercury 7 really makes me want to get my YouTube demos going. I know I won’t do it justice but it’s a pedal I feel compelled to share and show people.

it's my secret weapon and probably the most versatile pedal on my board (which on a board with a dd500 and a zoom cdr70 is saying something); i can get a ton of textures just by loving with the footswitches and no external expression pedals

it also got me to love slow gear effects after owning one and not getting along with it

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Josh Wah is a good name

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i got an enzo for christmas and i'm still learning how to use it; i almost wish i had gotten the ottobit but it's pretty cool

the tracking is not quite as perfect as i imagined it would be and it's hard to tweak and sculpt sounds if you don't already know about synthesis; having features behind secondary functions makes it kind of hard to remember exactly what you're tweaking but is important to preserving the form factor

I’m torn between the cardinale and the PD-100. I know they’re drastically different. Would you mind telling me your thoughts on those two? It’d be a big help.

cardinale is like a high gain klon; transparent but lots of saturation, slight mid push

pd100 definitely has that power amp type distortion, very loose and big and will rattle your speakers; sorta like an acapulco gold or a sonic titan, responsive to your volume control. i dig it for stoner and doom type tones although it can get a little boxy at lower volume levels

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Declan MacManus posted:

it's my secret weapon and probably the most versatile pedal on my board (which on a board with a dd500 and a zoom cdr70 is saying something); i can get a ton of textures just by loving with the footswitches and no external expression pedals

it also got me to love slow gear effects after owning one and not getting along with it

I’m obsessed with the slow gear feature. The Mercury 7 basically has an entire extra pedal that no one talks about. It’s so useful as someone who plays a ton of ambient guitar and uses a volume pedal to swell notes after cutting off the attack.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Josh Wah is a good name

It's a great envelope filter. Much easier to dial in than others I've tried, and works well with every other pedal I've used it with.

I highly recommend the Diamond Bass Comp Jr. as well. I wouldn't get it if you're looking for a "utility" compressor for signal limiting, but it does a wonderful job as a tone enhancer, especially when used with other drive pedals. The EQ is amazingly versatile considering it's just one knob and 2-way switch.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m obsessed with the slow gear feature. The Mercury 7 basically has an entire extra pedal that no one talks about. It’s so useful as someone who plays a ton of ambient guitar and uses a volume pedal to swell notes after cutting off the attack.

This is interesting. Will it cut off the attack but not swell? That’s what I’m looking for these days.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gorgar posted:

This is interesting. Will it cut off the attack but not swell? That’s what I’m looking for these days.

Wouldn’t that just mean no sound would come out, haha. I’m assuming you mean will it swell but be “immediate” instead of swelling over a second or two yeah? There’s an alt function on the pitch vector pot that allows you to adjust the attack time for the swell. I haven’t messed with it a ton at shorter amounts but I’ll play with it and see if I can get what I think you’re looking for out of it.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I was thinking of the attack function on the POG2, which seems to maybe swell louder than the original signal. I’m just looking to mute the attack but leave the sound unchanged after that. Kind of like using a soft mallet on a percussion instrument, I think, or playing finger style around the 12th fret.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Strymon have new thing

https://www.strymon.net/products/volante/

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

so i ended up selling my meris enzo; here's a review/primer/honest discussion i wish i had been able to see before i got it

this thing is capable of a lot. pitch shifting, modulation, flanging, filtering, compression, a whole two line delay circuit, etc. etc. meris really thought about everything that would be useful to a keyboard player looking to shape their sound and put it in a guitar-friendly format; on a lot of levels this thing is a triumph of execution and engineering and thoughtfulness

the good parts:
-the tracking is pretty good, especially for such a complex engine. the bridge pickup of every guitar i tried it with seemed to have an easier time tracking, and in dry mode the pitch shifting worked extremely well. the octave was even able to track simple chords without too much glitching.
-every individual part (the delay, the filter, the compressor, etc.) sounds very good and could easily compete with any pedal i've ever played in any of those specific functions. even if you just left it in dry mode, you'd still have a pedal worth $300. i was surprised at how much i enjoyed using it as a weirdo slapback/octave/parked wah/compressor machine and almost kept it just for that.
-crazy versatile. if you've seen demos you'll have a pretty good idea of how tweakable this thing is. the ring mod also adds a lot of versatility and possibilities but even without it you can go from soft synth pads to piercing moog leads with some twisting of knobs.

the bad parts:
-there are still glitches a-plenty tracking. the arp mode in particular gave me lots of trouble and never seemed to work like it was supposed to.
-this is very much a guitar pedal for people who already understand the basic principles of dialing in a synthesizer. if you're approaching it from a novice standpoint, you will probably find it to be a very frustrating pedal to get going. i personally wasn't willing to dick around with it for hours just to get an idea of how to tweak it. without a preset pedal, you'll find it frustrating to use live. an understanding of envelope principles and filters is really gonna be vital to you getting the most out of it, and there are 6 possible filter types on top of everything else. this is a strong point in terms of meris giving you a lot of tweakability but it also means it's never going to be a plug and play pedal. to me, this is a strength of the mercury7; if a knob gets turned on my pedalboard while i'm moving gear, i don't have to sweat it because i'm never far from the sound i want.

it's a lot of pedal, and a lot of people are going to (or already do) love it. it's not really what i'm looking for out of a synth pedal, though. i was hoping for something intuitive that i'd be able to grow into but that's not really what i got. that's not really the fault of the pedal but before you drop $300 (or more! some of these resellers are loving savages) you should probably know what you're getting into.

here's some other dude doing cool stuff with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6mC6UJlLbQ

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
So it just dawned on my that my power amp/speaker simulator is stereo, and I could therefore run a multi-"amp" setup with my mountain of preamps. It then dawned on me that, if I could find the right kind of delay pedal, I could probably simulate double tracking pretty well with more or less what I have. So I'm wondering:

Is there a delay pedal that 1) Is extremely extremely clean. 2) Lets me set a random delay time within a certain range (e.g. random within a 20ms window). 3) Allows me to send a 100% delayed signal?

Oh, and it has to cost less than $300, or the strymon double tracker becomes a better option.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

You're wasting the Strymon one if that's all you're using it for, and its not particularly clean, but theres also these

https://pedals.thedelimagazine.com/new-fx-guitar-double-trackers-tc-electronics-mimiq-and-keeley-30ms/

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

Any one have any tips on how to use the effects send on the Tascam portastudios? If you could share your signal flow, that would be awesome. I’ve got the old 414, trying to figure out how to playback ambient drone stuff through pedals outside of just line out-> pedals -> interface. Having something more adjustable/versatile like the built in fx sends would be awesome, if I could figure out how it worked.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

so i ended up selling my meris enzo; here's a review/primer/honest discussion i wish i had been able to see before i got it

this thing is capable of a lot. pitch shifting, modulation, flanging, filtering, compression, a whole two line delay circuit, etc. etc. meris really thought about everything that would be useful to a keyboard player looking to shape their sound and put it in a guitar-friendly format; on a lot of levels this thing is a triumph of execution and engineering and thoughtfulness

the good parts:
-the tracking is pretty good, especially for such a complex engine. the bridge pickup of every guitar i tried it with seemed to have an easier time tracking, and in dry mode the pitch shifting worked extremely well. the octave was even able to track simple chords without too much glitching.
-every individual part (the delay, the filter, the compressor, etc.) sounds very good and could easily compete with any pedal i've ever played in any of those specific functions. even if you just left it in dry mode, you'd still have a pedal worth $300. i was surprised at how much i enjoyed using it as a weirdo slapback/octave/parked wah/compressor machine and almost kept it just for that.
-crazy versatile. if you've seen demos you'll have a pretty good idea of how tweakable this thing is. the ring mod also adds a lot of versatility and possibilities but even without it you can go from soft synth pads to piercing moog leads with some twisting of knobs.

the bad parts:
-there are still glitches a-plenty tracking. the arp mode in particular gave me lots of trouble and never seemed to work like it was supposed to.
-this is very much a guitar pedal for people who already understand the basic principles of dialing in a synthesizer. if you're approaching it from a novice standpoint, you will probably find it to be a very frustrating pedal to get going. i personally wasn't willing to dick around with it for hours just to get an idea of how to tweak it. without a preset pedal, you'll find it frustrating to use live. an understanding of envelope principles and filters is really gonna be vital to you getting the most out of it, and there are 6 possible filter types on top of everything else. this is a strong point in terms of meris giving you a lot of tweakability but it also means it's never going to be a plug and play pedal. to me, this is a strength of the mercury7; if a knob gets turned on my pedalboard while i'm moving gear, i don't have to sweat it because i'm never far from the sound i want.

it's a lot of pedal, and a lot of people are going to (or already do) love it. it's not really what i'm looking for out of a synth pedal, though. i was hoping for something intuitive that i'd be able to grow into but that's not really what i got. that's not really the fault of the pedal but before you drop $300 (or more! some of these resellers are loving savages) you should probably know what you're getting into.

Thanks for this, very good info. Just when I was about to pull the trigger on the Enzo :D I'm actually selling my Ottobit Jr. for much the same reason(s) - as cool as it is, I'm just not smart enough / enough of a tinkerer to really get into it. The Polymoon and the Mercury 7 are different in this regard, although I still have a hankering for a Timeline. The UI of the big Strymon boxes is still unmatched when it comes to ease of use, IMO.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Gnumonic posted:

So it just dawned on my that my power amp/speaker simulator is stereo, and I could therefore run a multi-"amp" setup with my mountain of preamps. It then dawned on me that, if I could find the right kind of delay pedal, I could probably simulate double tracking pretty well with more or less what I have. So I'm wondering:

Is there a delay pedal that 1) Is extremely extremely clean. 2) Lets me set a random delay time within a certain range (e.g. random within a 20ms window). 3) Allows me to send a 100% delayed signal?

Oh, and it has to cost less than $300, or the strymon double tracker becomes a better option.

the tc mimiq does this and you could also probably program a dd500 to do it

Wengy posted:

Thanks for this, very good info. Just when I was about to pull the trigger on the Enzo :D I'm actually selling my Ottobit Jr. for much the same reason(s) - as cool as it is, I'm just not smart enough / enough of a tinkerer to really get into it. The Polymoon and the Mercury 7 are different in this regard, although I still have a hankering for a Timeline. The UI of the big Strymon boxes is still unmatched when it comes to ease of use, IMO.

it’s just tough to program since you a) don’t have access to all of the parameters at once and b) you can’t see where the secondary functions are set without twisting the knobs, so it’s kind of suboptimal for tweaking unless you already know what you’re doing

i just don’t like pedals i basically have to teach myself to use; i considered ditching my dd-500 once or twice before i really got the hang of it. anything more complicated than the eventide factor series and my eyes kind of glaze over

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Same, which is why I like Strymon’s new Volante format, seems like a good compromise between the smaller and the big box form factor. I actually sold two of the small Strymons before I realized that the small format with all the secondary functions just wasn’t doing it for me.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Declan MacManus posted:

the tc mimiq does this and you could also probably program a dd500 to do it

The mimiq seems to be exactly what I wanted for a price I'm willing to pay - thanks!

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
Does everything like the Mimiq assume you're running in first in your signal chain, or do any of those doublers sound good run in an amp's effects loop?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Death Panel Czar posted:

Does everything like the Mimiq assume you're running in first in your signal chain, or do any of those doublers sound good run in an amp's effects loop?

With what it's designed to do it should theoretically go last in the chain, but in practice after dirt + mod but before time based stuff is a little cleaner.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Declan MacManus posted:

the good parts:

the bad parts:

This is one of the best reviews I’ve read about a pedal because you actually articulated why it didn’t work for you personally vs just trashing it like most people would (a thing that’s driving me crazy on the internet lately). Thanks for the post! I’m still curious about the Enzo but I feel a little more equipped to know what I’m potentially getting into now.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
Are all the generic TS9/808/SD-1 type pedals functionally equivalent if you're using them with no gain and just the tone knob? I'm just looking for something that'll cut some bass off a guitar in C and holy poo poo there's so many goddamned overdrive pedals.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Death Panel Czar posted:

Are all the generic TS9/808/SD-1 type pedals functionally equivalent if you're using them with no gain and just the tone knob? I'm just looking for something that'll cut some bass off a guitar in C and holy poo poo there's so many goddamned overdrive pedals.
AIUI, not quite identical but also not different enough to matter much. frequency range for EQ may vary a bit, sweep of tone knob may vary a bit, but if you just want to cut bass, then any TS style pedal used as a boost should get you there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Death Panel Czar posted:

Before you pull the trigger on one look up the EQD Arrows. It’s not exactly the same but it’s a dead simple boost that gives me the same thing as I wanted out of a TS boost but even better. It works incredibly well with low tunings and tightens up everything just right. The notes pop right through your amp.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Before you pull the trigger on one look up the EQD Arrows. It’s not exactly the same but it’s a dead simple boost that gives me the same thing as I wanted out of a TS boost but even better. It works incredibly well with low tunings and tightens up everything just right. The notes pop right through your amp.
I'm not really big on the idea of buying a pedal for an EQ function and not having a knob for it. Like it looks cool but just on face doesn't agree with me.

That and pricewise- I used to have one of those MXR 10 bands, so if I'm gonna spend $100 on a cleanup tool I'll probably go that route. Reason the generic boosters seemed appealing is being able to grab an SD-1 for $50 or an East River for $65.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

wait do you want an eq pedal or a drive pedal?