Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Jesus, the welds on that look like something done by a blind man, from a metre away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Yea no kidding, basically an I CAN WELDER NOW :haw: jackass welded the fucker up

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Also, super thin walled, box aluminium probably isn't the strongest poo poo around, either. The end that actually hooks to the spools looks so flimsy that I'm surprised you even tempted fate by using it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Isn't that like $30? Sucks it happened to your SV, glad it didn't do too much damage, but most stands are around $80 minimum, and look at the thing...

I'm surprised you didn't at least approach with caution.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Spiffness posted:

Isn't that like $30? Sucks it happened to your SV, glad it didn't do too much damage, but most stands are around $80 minimum, and look at the thing...

I'm surprised you didn't at least approach with caution.

This isnt my first time using it. The SV has been up on it probably 10-15 times now. Each time it goes up, I give it a little shake side ot side to listen for creaking and whatnot. And yea the crows feet hooks for the spools are scary as poo poo.

Exchanged the twisted one for a new one today. I dont think I will ever use it though. Anyone want a free stand :iamafag:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Me me me I want a free stand! Pick me!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ugh, I thought it was your first happy use of your shiny new stand. What a bummer.

Maybe your bikes just a fatty. Can't even use a stand, can you fatty.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Spiffness posted:

Ugh, I thought it was your first happy use of your shiny new stand. What a bummer.

Maybe your bikes just a fatty. Can't even use a stand, can you fatty.

:cry: dont be so mean

Logue
Nov 16, 2005

Nerobro posted:

What you have is an intake leak. Fix your carb boots.

The gas doesn't matter in the regieme that you're running the bike. You could be running it on 66 ocatne poo poo and it would be fine. Truthfully, the bike likely is designed for 79 octane and up.

Sweet, thanks. Gonna check it out tomorrow.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

Halo_4am posted:

So today I'm going to pull the tank off and see if I can get a better look at anything. Shop manual says a compression test is a great way to identify these sort of things and suggests getting a compression tester which seems overpriced at $40. It's basically a bicycle pump with a couple of adapters and a simple gauge... seems like $10-$20 is more like it. Oh well.

Some place like Pepboys or Kragen might have a compression tester you could borrow for a couple of hours. I'd check there first before I dropped the cash on one.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
So my clutch lever is bent. When i dropped it, the metal literally bent. I can still squeeze it, but its lower and harder to reach. After rock climbing last night, my grip was very weak and shifting was a real pain.

So I guess I'm wondering if I should just grab a couple of wrenches and try to bend it back? or.... I dunno, I'm just worried Ill screw up the clutch

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

BlueBayou posted:

So my clutch lever is bent. When i dropped it, the metal literally bent. I can still squeeze it, but its lower and harder to reach. After rock climbing last night, my grip was very weak and shifting was a real pain.

So I guess I'm wondering if I should just grab a couple of wrenches and try to bend it back? or.... I dunno, I'm just worried Ill screw up the clutch

It's like $10-15 for a new leaver, just buy one, and adjust the cable as needed.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

BlueBayou posted:

The lever is aluminum. Bend it once.. it might be ok. Bend it again, and it will crack. I'm seconding the just buy a new lever thing. :-) It's $10-15 well spent. the alternative is you might start a crack when you bend it back.. and it may finish the crack at a bad time.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I attempted bending mine back into shape and got it to move a good 2 inches. It was *almost* perfect and just needed another tiny bit and it was good to go. Attempting that last bit is what snapped it and then I picked up new clutch and brake levers for $30 (total) off bikebandit

I'd say it's worth a try, but make sure you've got your replacements all picked out and don't be too upset if you end up snapping it. I don't believe you risk doing any damage to your actual clutch system by bending the handle around.

tsbicca
Aug 27, 2004
Is there much difference between types of bikes when it comes to riding in the rain (sport, standard, cruiser). What type of tires are best for traction in the rain? I have to buy a bike in the next few weeks that I'll be using to commute on the highway and want the safest bike I can get. Any recommendations?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Fairing really helps in the rain. Honestly though, it still sucks, and sucks bad.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I may be going on a (for me) long rear end ride - about 10 hours each way, of which ~1-1.5hrs will be on gravel. My current tyres are kind of nearing the end of their life (I might be able to nurse another 2000km), but I was wondering if there was any sense in looking at a less street oriented tyre. Currently have Metzler Roadtec mounted, but it's in a wonky (read not 180 section on the rear) size. Does anyone make a 90/10 (road/dirt) tyre, or should I just stick with road oriented rubber, and just take it really easy on the gravel? I've done a few miles on this bike on gravel, and while it handled it alright, if I run into any sort of really look gravel - especially on slopes - it's not terribly confidence inspiring.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Simkin posted:

I may be going on a (for me) long rear end ride - about 10 hours each way, of which ~1-1.5hrs will be on gravel. My current tyres are kind of nearing the end of their life (I might be able to nurse another 2000km), but I was wondering if there was any sense in looking at a less street oriented tyre. Currently have Metzler Roadtec mounted, but it's in a wonky (read not 180 section on the rear) size. Does anyone make a 90/10 (road/dirt) tyre, or should I just stick with road oriented rubber, and just take it really easy on the gravel? I've done a few miles on this bike on gravel, and while it handled it alright, if I run into any sort of really look gravel - especially on slopes - it's not terribly confidence inspiring.

Avon Distanzias? I hear they're about perfect for 80/20 use. What bike is it on?

tsbicca posted:

Is there much difference between types of bikes when it comes to riding in the rain (sport, standard, cruiser). What type of tires are best for traction in the rain? I have to buy a bike in the next few weeks that I'll be using to commute on the highway and want the safest bike I can get. Any recommendations?

Can you expand on what you mean by "safe motorcycle"? It's pretty much an oxymoron. If you're looking for a safe commuter, buy a beater car for 500$ and run it into the ground and then buy a new one. I wouldn't recommend a motorcycle as a commuter, as it's pretty much the most dangerous form of riding, exposing you to lots of traffic, inattentive drivers, and other idiocy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Avon Distanzias? I hear they're about perfect for 80/20 use. What bike is it on?

I think he rides a ZR-7S, and Avon shows they do make Distanzias in a 120/70R17 front and a 160/60R17 rear, whereas the Metzeler Tourances, Pirelli Scorpions, and Dunlop D607s don't. That may be your best option for a 90/10 tire, Simkin.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phy posted:

I think he rides a ZR-7S, and Avon shows they do make Distanzias in a 120/70R17 front and a 160/60R17 rear, whereas the Metzeler Tourances, Pirelli Scorpions, and Dunlop D607s don't. That may be your best option for a 90/10 tire, Simkin.

I'm an idiot. I thought that the 90/10 was refering to the size of the tire and was really confused as to which bike he was riding. :xd:

I was going to run Distanzias on my SV when I was gonna ride it offroad. SV runs 120/160, just like most motards.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

MrKatharsis posted:

Fairing really helps in the rain. Honestly though, it still sucks, and sucks bad.

This + using a healthy level of rain-x polish on the fairing and helmet can really help you out. It's the best thing to get rain quickly off of glass and plastic surfaces short of actual wiper blades. Speaking of wipers though, they actually have riding gloves out there with a wiper surface built into the pinky side for wiping water off your helmet. I've never used them though so I can't say if they're worth a drat.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Halo_4am posted:

Speaking of wipers though, they actually have riding gloves out there with a wiper surface built into the pinky side for wiping water off your helmet. I've never used them though so I can't say if they're worth a drat.

I had some that sucked, but the gloves were cheap anyway. Not sure if more expensive gloves would have better wipers.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Z3n posted:

That's kind of what I was looking for - I have 120/70-17 Front, 160/70-17 Rear (although the Avon site says it should be 160/60-17 rear) - mounted on my ZR-7S. It looks like they make Distanzias in the sizes I need, although it would limit my top speed a bit - not that I spend much time testing v-max anyhow. I might even be able to use the bike in snow, if I get something with larger treadblocks. :toot:

Are any of the other d/s tyres a good mix like that - 90/10 or 80/20 street/dirt? Choosing tyres has always seemed a bit of a black art to me. :v:

Looks like Avon is the only company that bothers to make d/s tyres that could potentially fit my bike. :)

Simkin fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 16, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

Looks like Avon is the only company that bothers to make d/s tyres that could potentially fit my bike. :)
Doublechecking it, it looks like they're calling those "supermoto" sizes

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, I'm not sure what that implies. Just got a quote from a local shop - $CAD230 front and $CAD340 rear. :monocle:

I thought these offroad/dualsport tyres would be cheaper. :sigh: Can anyone recommend an online site to order them from so I could get them shipped to a friend's place in the states and installed? I'd probably lose any/all savings in the usual border tariffs rape-a-thon.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what that implies. Just got a quote from a local shop - $CAD230 front and $CAD340 rear. :monocle:

I thought these offroad/dualsport tyres would be cheaper. :sigh: Can anyone recommend an online site to order them from so I could get them shipped to a friend's place in the states and installed? I'd probably lose any/all savings in the usual border tariffs rape-a-thon.

http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SWMT&Category_Code=Distanzia

Free ground shipping, 270$ or so.

Saying they're the SM sizes is just a way of latching on to buzzwords...

In my experience, avon is the only company that makes them in SM sizes.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Holy balls that's cheap, thanks Z3n. Hopefully I can find a shop near my sister's boyfriend's place to mount them for me.

Hell, for the price advertised on that site, I could would get charged $200 shipping/duties and still come out ahead of the price I was quoted.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

Holy balls that's cheap, thanks Z3n. Hopefully I can find a shop near my sister's boyfriend's place to mount them for me.

Hell, for the price advertised on that site, I could would get charged $200 shipping/duties and still come out ahead of the price I was quoted.

They used to be SWmotoshoes, not sure what's up with the name change. Anyways, I've heard very good things about them, quick shipping and all. Good luck on your trip, post lots of pictures.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Definitely will. I'll probably see if I can persuade my dad to take the slightly longer scenic route up, to avoid about 4 hours of boring rear end slab.

The local shop also suggested that I might expand my potential tyre selection (at least on the rear) to 150/70-17, but that only expands the selection for rears - Avon is still the only one that I can find that makes a 120 front.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

Definitely will. I'll probably see if I can persuade my dad to take the slightly longer scenic route up, to avoid about 4 hours of boring rear end slab.

The local shop also suggested that I might expand my potential tyre selection (at least on the rear) to 150/70-17, but that only expands the selection for rears - Avon is still the only one that I can find that makes a 120 front.

I wouldn't bother with the 150 rear, honestly. It'll fit ok, but it'll be stretched kinda flat and you're not going to find anything worthwhile to match it with.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Just chiming in to say I've run they Avon's and they kick rear end

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Z3n posted:

I wouldn't bother with the 150 rear, honestly. It'll fit ok, but it'll be stretched kinda flat and you're not going to find anything worthwhile to match it with.

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks for the feedback, as well, Spiffness.

What do you guys do for chain oiling on long trips? Just take a small bottle of gear oil and a rag, or use something longer lasting?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks for the feedback, as well, Spiffness.

What do you guys do for chain oiling on long trips? Just take a small bottle of gear oil and a rag, or use something longer lasting?

Gear oil it at the end or the start of the day.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

That makes things a bit easier. I guess sticking with gear oil means I don't have to worry about dust/random poo poo sticking to my chain while riding along gravel roads.

Or I could get a shaft drive bike like my dad. :angel:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
This has bugging me all year (I haven't noticed it the previous years). When going a big-ish bump in the road at 50+ mph, my bike feels like it's braking. At first, I thought I was inadvertently cutting the throttle, but I no longer think so; A) I've been conscious of my throttle hand and if I'm closing it, it's only a tiny bit and B) purposefully closing the throttle on a straight road produces only a fraction of the deceleration.

I have no idea what else would cause the bike to decel when going over big bumps. Could it being fuel related? Electrical? I don't know where to start looking. It doesn't help that you have to be moving at speed to recreate it.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I have a question that is similar. If I stop my bike on a downhill slope, lets say at a stoplight, the engine chugs and I have to give it some gas to keep it from stalling. It also occurs when braking hard, which is a simulated downhill slope. I don't have any other issues with fuel delivery or anything except this. The amount of fuel in my tank makes no difference, it happens if I am on reserve or on my first mile on a full tank. Any clues? It's a GS500.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Speaking of rubber, I need to start thinking about what to put on the Superhawk. Actually needing tires is a long ways away, but I don't want to get just short of it being ready to ride and then spending a month trying to get the goddamn tires. The tires on there now are in remarkably good shape, but I don't think I trust 40 year-old rubber. There's an original Bridgestone on the front, and a Pirelli (?!) on the rear in that ribbed pattern. Sizes are 2.75X18 front and 3.0X18 rear, tubed obviously. Chen Shin still makes a tire identical to the Bridgestone for about 25 bucks, but while CS has been really good on the 650, I think I want to shell out a little more. I've heard a lot of people use Avon Roadriders on these bikes, any feedback on those?

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Speaking of rubber...

I too would appreciate rubber advice. The tires on my Thruxton have a nasty habit of losing about a third of their pressure over the course of a few weeks. They're two year old Metzler Lasertec's with plenty of tread and about 6500 miles on 'em. No evident punctures.

Reparable or should I be after new rubber? If it's new rubber I need, what should I be looking for? I've had Avon RoadRider's suggested but have no personal familiarity with them.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

OrangeFurious posted:

I too would appreciate rubber advice. The tires on my Thruxton have a nasty habit of losing about a third of their pressure over the course of a few weeks. They're two year old Metzler Lasertec's with plenty of tread and about 6500 miles on 'em. No evident punctures.

Reparable or should I be after new rubber? If it's new rubber I need, what should I be looking for? I've had Avon RoadRider's suggested but have no personal familiarity with them.

Maybe you have cracked valve stems. I had slow leaks on both my tires, but I needed new ones anyway, so I had them replaced. The guy at the place that changed the tires said the one stem actually fell apart in his hand - he was amazed I could keep air in it at all.

As far as Avons go, I don't have that model tire, but I got Avon Cobras on my Valkyrie (one of the few tires that fit) and I absolutely love the things. It's like a brand new bike compared to the OEM brand that was on before.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, for those of you who keep an updated phat_albert.doc handy at all times, you may remember that I was about an inch away from buying a trailtech vapor for the Bandit a few months ago. Well, the money that I had put aside for that got spent on other more important things (tires, chain, sprockets, namely) and it got backburnered.

Anyway, I'm ready to buy a tach/speedo combo for the bandit again, and I've done some more research. The internet seems slightly concerned about the build quality of Vapors, and I've heard multiple people say that they arent waterproof, which really sucks.

So, I've been looking at Acewells, specifically this one. I like it, it comes in black, and its got everything I need, plus water and vibration-proofing for about $120.

Anyone have anything good bad or otherwise to say about Acewell? The internet seems pretty impressed with them, and I cant really find anyone complaining about them. So I turn to ye goones.