Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Odin 300 is an rear end in a top hat. I can't even cheese it with my Raijin SSB spam team.

Any advice?

You have a good Ice or Wind chain magicite team? I used a backrow ice team and got it in one shot. I believe he's all piercing so wall/protectga is useless. My battle was reliant on a couple of breaks, Elarra, and zerging him down with Ice abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

iamsosmrt posted:

You have a good Ice or Wind chain magicite team? I used a backrow ice team and got it in one shot. I believe he's all piercing so wall/protectga is useless. My battle was reliant on a couple of breaks, Elarra, and zerging him down with Ice abilities.

Physical wind chain. No ice. It's the crazy damage output and the bullshit instant KOs that really piss me off.

I'm going through the rest of the 220s and I might just skip the 300s. The rewards are probably not worth the frustration.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

300 Gilgamesh definitely isn't. gently caress that breaksight mechanic.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Physical wind chain. No ice. It's the crazy damage output and the bullshit instant KOs that really piss me off.

I'm going through the rest of the 220s and I might just skip the 300s. The rewards are probably not worth the frustration.

Yeah, you absolutely want a backrow team with Odin, unless you're doing some absolute jank with curaise/reraise. His bog-standard attack and Apocalypse Zantetsuken both respect row, and he only uses Zan and Death on frontrow fighters; his backrow attacks instead are Stop and fixed AoE damage. Oh, and he gets hit full-force by Mind Breakdown, so you can make Stop a negligible problem at worst.

You can probably do a physical backrow team if you've got a good Dragoon and/or some wind dudes with ranged weapons (Bartz and Faris can use throwers and bows, if it helps, Zidane can use throwers, Vaan can use guns, and Rikku makes a good backup with her Blitzball/Gun access if you have some Celerity or Thief skills handy). It'll nerf Zack's damage, but if you have Zack's BSB then you can just lifesiphon chain that and his Chain to stack imperils and get a splash of wind damage alongside it.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 29, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, you absolutely want a backrow team with Odin, unless you're doing some absolute jank with curaise/reraise. His bog-standard attack and Apocalypse Zantetsuken both respect row, and he only uses Zan and Death on frontrow fighters; his backrow attacks instead are Stop and fixed AoE damage. Oh, and he gets hit full-force by Mind Breakdown, so you can make Stop a negligible problem at worst.

You can probably do a physical backrow team if you've got a good Dragoon and/or some wind dudes with ranged weapons (Bartz and Faris can use throwers and bows, if it helps, Zidane can use throwers, Vaan can use guns, and Rikku makes a good backup with her Blitzball/Gun access if you have some Celerity or Thief skills handy). It'll nerf Zack's damage, but if you have Zack's BSB then you can just lifesiphon chain that and his Chain to stack imperils and get a splash of wind damage alongside it.

Thanks I might try that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just noticed that they changed the music for magicite battles. The new version is so much better.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

I just noticed that they changed the music for magicite battles. The new version is so much better.
Don't worry, we'll be moving right along from that one, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNhjaHdUciE&t=15s

Just kidding. That's for the new stuff. If you can actually do the 300 fights, you can probably sub-30 the 5 stars no problem and will probably be done with them at that point.

Here's a Sub-20 Lakshmi. Awakenings are no joke. Neither is Olan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Wff3SqFxg

Varance fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 30, 2018

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Another one down :toot:

Just water, holy and dark to go!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

I really oughta have a go at 4* magicite sometime. My first time going in I just got completely stomped. My arsenal has improved since then but my thought of them as out of my league remains.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

I really oughta have a go at 4* magicite sometime. My first time going in I just got completely stomped. My arsenal has improved since then but my thought of them as out of my league remains.

I feel like this with 5*. I have a decked out Queztalcoatl team but I can barely scratch him before wiping. I honestly have no idea what to do. I've posted my team and followed advice and I think I'm just going to wait until I get some kind of crazy earth awakening SB next year. These are just bullshit and not fun at all.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
My major problem is with 5* Water magicites and there's not much coming out that actually helps with that. Thanks to that Ultra Lucky Paine USB combined with Bartz USB1 and Ignis BSB I'm getting there for physical, but magic... it's really hard to find. I have Maria USB and Rydia's BSB. And that's kind of it.

I'm even considering reducing my 4A hoard from 15 to 12 pulls just to have a few more goes at VI-B2 if the New Year's 33x doesn't land me anything. There aren't any useful BSBs for this are there?

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I feel like this with 5*. I have a decked out Queztalcoatl team but I can barely scratch him before wiping. I honestly have no idea what to do. I've posted my team and followed advice and I think I'm just going to wait until I get some kind of crazy earth awakening SB next year. These are just bullshit and not fun at all.

This is kinda where I'm at with 5*s too, but I'm working on building some fire resist 4* magicite decks; I can kill Marilis in 18 seconds so my dps SHOULD be good enough for Phoenix, just need to actually survive it. I'm hoping that a pair of 10% fire resist magicite with 10% extra resist inherited on will be enough to bridge the gap (for a total of like 19% after stacking reductions?)

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
did things and got enough for another 50 pull

Tifa AOSB (dupe)
Rydia AOSB (dupe)

ah well, still I got what I wanted most importantly off this banner.

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 30, 2018

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The third banner cursed me with a 1/11 duplicate Celes LMR. My third one. :smith:

Well, maybe New Year's will bless me with something usable. I sure hope so.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My one and probably only fest pull netted me Elarra USB2 and LMR

It's no chain but I have a few ideas on using them

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

After a lot of waffling back and forth I decided to do a pull on banner 3 so I could be super disappointed when I got not a chain.

1/11 - Edward CSB

Nice! My physical holy is a million times better than my magical holy (a 90% tricked out FFT holy wrecking crew compared to...uh...Minwu USB2, and Raines BSB I suppose) but it's a gen2 chain so with the damage boost it won't matter. Team building might get a little weird to fit a boostga on as well but I'll figure it out.

edit: he's a bard, I could just give him the stacking atk up bardsong

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 30, 2018

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
by the way, when can we expect that recent Fest banners JP just got to come global?

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

wlog Japan is about 6 months ahead of us, so probably May/June.

Something to think about: KHIII is coming out at the end of January, and assuming that they do an event for it I'd bet a modest amount of money we'll see Sora & Riku awakenings on the banner. That's probably worth pulling on unless you absolutely want to save for the awakeningfest in 6 months (in which case I assume in 3 months there will be an even more nonsense fest in JP and that will become the target, and so on, and you will never actually pull on anything :v:).

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
2 pulls netted me both holy chains. For the purpose of taking down Hades, which is the better option:

Agrias usb with her imperils
Beatrix usb with her double casts and chasers

My other dps is orlandeau usb

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Probably Beatrix USB? At +50% holy vulnerability, stacking more imperils will only bring marginal gains in damage compared to the raw power of a chaser. Inversely at +20% vulnerability things edge more in favor of the imperil, since you get more bang for your buck (1.4+/1.2 > 1.7+/1.5) and you're less likely to have hit the 9999 caps with each hit. Doing so certainly helped me to beat the real Siegfried with Beatrix BSB1/Ramza CSB/Marche USB.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hogama posted:

There's ALSO an end of the month Final Fantasy VII event (at long last)!

Legend Materia posted:

Angeal LM1: PHY Damage +10%
Angeal LM2: Angeal Trance: ATK +50%, RES -50% & Quick Cast for 25 seconds
Angeal LMR: 25% chance of Dualcast Wind and/or Holy abilities

Rude LM1: Earth Damage +10%
Rude LM2: 35% chance to Dualcast Earth
Rude LMR: En-Earth for 25 seconds at the start of battle

Elena LM1: Fire Damage +10%
Elena LM2: Haste & Instant Cast 3 at the start of battle
Elena LMR: 25% chance of Dualcast Sharpshooter
Just to bring this up to speed quickly, since we've got banners now. New Zack, Tifa, Vincent, and Angeal stuff (three Awakenings!) is on banner 1, new Rude and Elena stuff is on banner 2.

Banner 1 posted:

Zack’s Ragnarok [AASB, +10 ATK] - 15 single-target Wind/NE physical attacks, Critical Damage +50% to party, Wind Awakening Mode, Break Damage Cap Level 1 & Hard Blast to user
Wind Awakening Mode: Unlimited Wind Hones, Wind Ability Boost & Dualcast Wind
Hard Blast: After using 3 Wind abilities, chases with 6 single-target Wind/NE physical attacks + minor Imperil Wind

Tifa’s Leather Suit [AASB, +10 ATK] - 15 single-target Earth/NE physical attacks, En-Earth, Monk Awakening Mode, Break Damage Cap Level 1 & Gaia Crusher to user
Monk Awakening Mode: Unlimited Monk Hones, Monk Ability Boost & Dualcast Monk
Gaia Crusher: After using 3 Monk abilities, chases with single-target Earth/NE Overflow physical attack

Vincent’s Buntline [AASB, +5 ATK & +5 MAG] - 15 single-target Fire/NE ranged hybrid attacks, En-Fire, Fire Awakening Mode & Vincent Trance to user
Fire Awakening Mode: Unlimited Fire Hones, Fire Ability Boost & Dualcast Fire
Vincent Trance: ATK/MAG/DEF/RES/MND/ACC/EVA +20% & Quick Cast

Tifa's Duel Claws [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Earth Overflow physical attacks

Angeal’s Defender (CCVII) [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Holy/Wind physical attacks, Critical Chance +100% to user, 50% Damage Reduction Barrier 2 & Regenga to party
Sephiroth’s Executioner [USB, +10 ATK] - 15 single-target Dark ranged physical attacks, En-Dark, Critical = 50% & EX “Legendary SOLDIER” to user
EX “Legendary SOLDIER”: Allows Dark physical attacks to break the damage cap, Dark Damage +30% after using 2 Dark abilities; Lasts for 25 seconds
Vincent's Long Barrel R [USB, +5 ATK & +5 MAG] - 10 single-target Fire physical or magic attacks, Instant Cast, En-Fire, Instant Cast 1 & Brave Mode to user
Condition: Use Fire abilities
Level 0: Single-target Fire physical or magic attack
Level 1~3: Single-target Fire Overflow physical or magic attack

Zack’s Yoshiyuki [Glint+, +10 ATK] - 6 single-target Wind/NE physical attacks, Instant Cast & Zero SB Cost, Imperil Wind
Angeal’s Flametongue [Glint, +10 ATK] - 30% Stoneskin & RES +100% to party, Instant Cast
Tifa’s Hyper Fist [Glint, +10 ATK] - 6 single-target Earth/NE physical attacks, Instant Cast, minor Imperil Earth, Earth Damage +10% to user

Angeal’s Heavy Lance [LMR, +10 ATK] - 25% chance to Dualcast Holy or Wind abilities
Zack’s Swimwear [LMR, +10 ATK] - 25% chance to Dualcast Wind abilities
Vincent’s Gauntlet [LMR, +5 ATK & +5 MAG] - Quick Cast 3 at the start of battle
Sephiroth's Genji Armor [LMR, +10 ATK] - 25% chance to Dualcast Darkness abilities

Banner 2 posted:

Cloud's Durandal [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Dark Overflow physical attacks

Red XIII's Thornlet [CSB, +10 MAG] - Activates Earth Limit Chain (150) & 50% Earth Field, MAG +50% to party

Rude’s Special Battle Gloves [USB, +5 ATK & +5 MAG] - 10 single-target Earth/NE hybrid attacks, En-Earth, Quick Cast & Earth Line to user
Earth Line: After using 3 Earth abilities, grants 30% Stoneskin to party
Elena’s Magnum [USB, +10 ATK] - ATK & RES +30%, Critical Chance +50% and Haste to party, Turks Bullet to user
Turks Bullet: After using 2 Fire abilities, chases with ST minor Imperil Fire
Cloud's Cloudy Wolf [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Dark/NE physical attacks, En-Dark, Heavy Charge Booster & Darkness Blow to user
Darkness Blow: After using Dark abilities, chases with 4 single-target Dark/NE Overflow physical attacks
Red XIII's Spriggan Clip [USB, +10 MAG] - 10 single-target Earth magic attacks, 75% Earth Radiant Shield & Instant Cast 1 to party
Reno's Imperial Guard [USB, +5 ATK & +5 MAG] - 10 single-target Lightning physical or magic attacks, En-Lightning, Machinist & BLK Damage +30% and Brave Mode to user
Condition: Use Lightning abilities
Level 0: Single-target Lightning physical or magic attack
Level 1~3: Single-target Lightning Overflow physical or magic attack

Aerith's Healing Rod [USB, +10 MND] - h85 heal, High Quick Physical 3 & Last Stand to party, Instant Cast

Cloud's Nail Bat [Glint, +10 ATK] - 6 single-target Dark/NE physical attacks, Instant Cast, En-Dark & En-Dark Stack to user
Rude’s Battle Gloves [Glint, +5 ATK & +5 MAG] - Protect, Shell & High Regen to party, Instant Cast
Elena’s Suit [Glint, +10 ATK] - 6 single-target Fire/NE ranged physical attacks, Instant Cast, En-Fire & En-Fire Stack to user

Rude’s Shinra Headset [LMR, +5 ATK & +5 MAG] - En-Earth for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Elena’s Commander [LMR, +10 ATK] - 25% chance to Dualcast Sharpshooter abilities
Reno's Enhanced Light Rod [LMR, +5 ATK & +5 MAG] - En-Lightning for 25 seconds at the start of battle

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

And just like that, Angeal went from being a punchline to being one of the most solid support Knights in the game, right behind Paladin Cecil. Without a brave or awakening, either. Regenga on someone who can pack Healing Smite? Dualcast/Trance combo? Glint that is basically "shellga + bubble", but better (since Shellga can be dispelled and also it stacks with shellga)?

Rude oddly seems like his USB would synergize well with Machina and post-Japanfest Noctis, refreshing their bubbles potentially fast enough (even though Noctis doesn't really use his as much any more) that they have total uptime in anything CT difficulty or lower. Elena has a critfix (in a realm that desperately needs party-wide critfixing, so much of it is selfish save for Cait Sith BSB) and Hastega on top of being a fantastic support partner for Vincent, stacking the imperils while Vince does DPS.

And then there's Cloud, who is having as much problem deciding between Wind and Dark as Rinoa has deciding between Ice and Earth. Does he want to be Zack or Sephiroth? :thunk:

NGDBSS posted:

Probably Beatrix USB? At +50% holy vulnerability, stacking more imperils will only bring marginal gains in damage compared to the raw power of a chaser. Inversely at +20% vulnerability things edge more in favor of the imperil, since you get more bang for your buck (1.4+/1.2 > 1.7+/1.5) and you're less likely to have hit the 9999 caps with each hit. Doing so certainly helped me to beat the real Siegfried with Beatrix BSB1/Ramza CSB/Marche USB.

Beatrix USB is absolutely better DPS until you get to 20% weakness or raw neutral. The places Agrias's USB really shines are things like D300 Garland in the newest event, where she can just stack imperils and turn a 1.2x multiplier into a 1.8x multiplier.

The biggest problem is that running Beatrix USB and Orlandeau USB together is incredibly orb-hungry, since one's a True Doublecast and the other's a rank chaser.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 30, 2018

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Holy poo poo they remembered Angeal exists

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

KataraniSword posted:

(in a realm that desperately needs party-wide critfixing, so much of it is selfish save for Cait Sith BSB)

Angeal BSB is also a party-wide critfix

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

KataraniSword posted:

And just like that, Angeal went from being a punchline to being one of the most solid support Knights in the game, right behind Paladin Cecil. Without a brave or awakening, either. Regenga on someone who can pack Healing Smite? Dualcast/Trance combo? Glint that is basically "shellga + bubble", but better (since Shellga can be dispelled and also it stacks with shellga)?

Rude oddly seems like his USB would synergize well with Machina and post-Japanfest Noctis, refreshing their bubbles potentially fast enough (even though Noctis doesn't really use his as much any more) that they have total uptime in anything CT difficulty or lower. Elena has a critfix (in a realm that desperately needs party-wide critfixing, so much of it is selfish save for Cait Sith BSB) and Hastega on top of being a fantastic support partner for Vincent, stacking the imperils while Vince does DPS.

And then there's Cloud, who is having as much problem deciding between Wind and Dark as Rinoa has deciding between Ice and Earth. Does he want to be Zack or Sephiroth? :thunk:

Beatrix USB is absolutely better DPS until you get to 20% weakness or raw neutral. The places Agrias's USB really shines are things like D300 Garland in the newest event, where she can just stack imperils and turn a 1.2x multiplier into a 1.8x multiplier.

The biggest problem is that running Beatrix USB and Orlandeau USB together is incredibly orb-hungry, since one's a True Doublecast and the other's a rank chaser.

Yeah, luckily I haven't honed anything in a while so I just took my arsenal of 2x r3 assault sabers and added an r5 assault saber

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

When I see NE, I don't think Non-Elemental, I think Neutral Evil. It makes reading the descriptions fun.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Kheldarn posted:

When I see NE, I don't think Non-Elemental, I think Neutral Evil. It makes reading the descriptions fun.

Northeast

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, maps and directions are fun, too. Thanks, Gary Gygax.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I was in this position but today I finally got off my rear end and did one. I got the earth one with Alphinaud chain and DTs, OK's DPS USB, Aerith healing and two entrusters to get Alphinaud and OK going and then to feed a continual stream of soul gage into Aerith to keep up the healing.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Should have also pointed out for the VII JP event that a balance change goes with it:
Angeal picks up Spellblade 5(6) & White Magic 4.
Elena gets Machinist 5(6).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So who becomes the new joke character now?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Kiros and Ward are still waiting for justice.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
I dunno,
Wol?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Marcus. Poison. :laugh:

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
That reminds me and ive wondered for awhile: Why is Poison even a thing? Wasn't Bio dark damage when the game started?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
A lot of Marcus' new toys lean on wind element as well as poison since he got his legend dive and a USB. He's been saved from the scrapheap but he's gone right into the company of giants that is every other good physical wind user in the game. An instant-cast wind-imperil with a 4-hit wind/poison/NE chaser isn't bad though imo, and a wind imperil has a place until you can get down 5* wind magicite for a wind imperil, at last.

We can still point and laugh at Ricard who mysteriously has a legend dive but nothing above a BSB. His ability spread is also Dragoon 5/6, Combat 4, Black Magic 2(?) and... Knight 4 from his dive? What a loser.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

So who becomes the new joke character now?

Khimari, but he's always been a joke, even in his own game.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

DeadButDelicious posted:

We can still point and laugh at Ricard who mysteriously has a legend dive but nothing above a BSB. His ability spread is also Dragoon 5/6, Combat 4, Black Magic 2(?) and... Knight 4 from his dive? What a loser.

Ricard does get a USB though. It's like a weird Marche USB for both wind and lightning Dragoons, where he gives everyone in the same row no air time, while he also gets Instant Cast Jumps for himself. It's weird, but it's at least a unique gimmick that actually could work for Dragoon lovers.

There's a few people left with no USB too, like Rufus and FF1 Thief, but the biggest joke will always be Wrieg, who is doomed to be horrible unless we ever have another Legends event.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shoenin posted:

That reminds me and ive wondered for awhile: Why is Poison even a thing? Wasn't Bio dark damage when the game started?

No. That was purely FF4 that did that, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

No. That was purely FF4 that did that, I think.

and FFBE, which is an actual real final fantasy game, you can tell because it has cards for its OCs in the final fantasy CCG.