Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

tuo posted:

This is a propper E31 (because it's nearly the same to mine, but without the stupid badge on the nostrils):

Always had a soft spot for 8 series. Hope yours is well. Twelve cylinders FTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

um excuse me posted:

I'm interested to hear if this is an unlimited production run. A mid engine for the masses. When Ford re-re-released the GT I hated all of that elitist bullshit about having to apply for one and pretty much not letting you sell the car.

Whole point of that was to get people who wanted the cars to get to buy the cars, instead of some dude greasing the palms of their ford dealer and buying up allotments for resale.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This doesn't happen if you simply make enough of them. The application process sucks pretty hard too. You have to show your interest in the brand by having a very thorough ownership history, spending more on cars than most people make in a year. Being a dealership favorite does help, even if you don't think you can buy your way in. If you piss off the wrong folks, black listed. You can't buy anything that requires an application again. and there's no laws that saying what those things are so they can kick you out for virtually anything. Again, the VINWIKI channel points out all of this.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

um excuse me posted:

This doesn't happen if you simply make enough of them. The application process sucks pretty hard too. You have to show your interest in the brand by having a very thorough ownership history, spending more on cars than most people make in a year. Being a dealership favorite does help, even if you don't think you can buy your way in. If you piss off the wrong folks, black listed. You can't buy anything that requires an application again. and there's no laws that saying what those things are so they can kick you out for virtually anything. Again, the VINWIKI channel points out all of this.

That doesn't sound out of line to how most supercars work. Try walking into a Porsche dealership and telling them you want to buy that shiny new GT3RRRSSSS Nurburgring Edition With $10000 Yellow Calipers in the display window. If sir isn't on the list, sir can pound salt, but there's a lovely silver Carrera S over here if you'd like. Good residuals. Also it's a first step at getting on the list.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yep, if you want to order any Porsche GTx car the dealer will tell you that all of their allocations are taken, but you may join the waiting list for an allocation. Eventually they will run through that list and magically call you six months or a year later so you can tell them that you don't care anymore.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Finger Prince posted:

That doesn't sound out of line to how most supercars work. Try walking into a Porsche dealership and telling them you want to buy that shiny new GT3RRRSSSS Nurburgring Edition With $10000 Yellow Calipers in the display window. If sir isn't on the list, sir can pound salt, but there's a lovely silver Carrera S over here if you'd like. Good residuals. Also it's a first step at getting on the list.

Reminds me of Ferrari several months back. You want the 812? Well buy a GTC4Lusso first then we'll talk.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

Reminds me of Ferrari several months back. You want the 812? Well buy a GTC4Lusso first then we'll talk.

Didn't they also do that for the Enzo, FXX, LaFerrari, etc?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

boxen posted:

Didn't they also do that for the Enzo, FXX, LaFerrari, etc?

The FXX I don't even think they'd let you bring home. You just told them what track you wanted to play at and they transported it there for you.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That sort of brand engagement/ambassador horseshit is not uncommon elsewhere. If you want a steel Rolex Submariner or (god forbid) a Daytona watch, be prepared to fork over thousands to tens of thousands on "building a relationship with your distributor" by grinding attunement buying watches you didn't really want that they're having a harder time moving, and also waiting patiently for that distributor to be randomly assigned the watch you actually wanted. Hermes bags are apparently even worse.

E: fortunately watches are vastly easier to replica than cars.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Finger Prince posted:

The FXX I don't even think they'd let you bring home. You just told them what track you wanted to play at and they transported it there for you.

Did you also have to show that the track you wanted to play at had an illustrious history with Ferraris?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Always had a soft spot for 8 series. Hope yours is well. Twelve cylinders FTW.

Mine is super well, but every new years eve when I realize I drove them for like - I don't know - 50 miles that year, I feel a bit sad (for them).

I also feel sad that I missed the point when it was possible to buy E31 Alpina B12's for a reasonable price (which I would drive even less).

And don't get me started about that Z1 next to me I failed to buy.

Then again, I'll reduce the number of cars around me starting next year, because a car not driven is a car that belong to someone who drives it.

But not my two E31. They can burry me in them, and I mean that (allthough they'd somehow have to fuse them together and poo poo, or I'll have to grow a bit)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Phy posted:

That sort of brand engagement/ambassador horseshit is not uncommon elsewhere. If you want a steel Rolex Submariner or (god forbid) a Daytona watch, be prepared to fork over thousands to tens of thousands on "building a relationship with your distributor" by grinding attunement buying watches you didn't really want that they're having a harder time moving, and also waiting patiently for that distributor to be randomly assigned the watch you actually wanted. Hermes bags are apparently even worse.

Man, I wish I could have the confidence to cheat millionaires outta their money for MONTHS.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

um excuse me posted:

I'm interested to hear if this is an unlimited production run. A mid engine for the masses. When Ford re-re-released the GT I hated all of that elitist bullshit about having to apply for one and pretty much not letting you sell the car.

Its the new Corvette Stingray; Its an unlimited production run. All through the lead-up-rumor mill there were articles about how it would be limited, that GM would produce it simultaneously with the C7, and essentially start a Corvette marque outside of Chevrolet. But it doesnt look like any of that panned out. It was introed as The all-new 2020 Corvette.

There are going to be a lot of them. I do think that actual average transaction price is going to be a lot closer to $80k than $60k though. Not a lot of base-model Corvettes get sold even now. Related: I am beginning to hate myself for selling my 2008 Z06. It was a 1LZ car, with nothing checked except gently caress you I wanna die in a corner.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/captain_cunto/status/1151907864950321152

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wrong thread, that's badddddddddddddd CG, the cop car is like 2/3 the size it should be, not lit properly and going like 200mph. Also no brake lights, no weight shift under braking for the rari model (which is lovingly lit though).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also those weird rear end camera movements are always used to disguise the cgi.

Even with stabilization no one holding a cell phone and filming a car chase is going to move the camera around like that.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The Charger is more powerful, cheaper and a 4 door

The Charger is a souped-up soccer mom car that shames the Charger name. If Chrysler was smart they'd have done similar to what they did with the Challenger style-wise & kept it as a 2 door.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

BOOTY-ADE posted:

The Charger is a souped-up soccer mom car that shames the Charger name. If Chrysler was smart they'd have done similar to what they did with the Challenger style-wise & kept it as a 2 door.

I dunno...they still crank them out police style?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Finger Prince posted:

That is not actually true, you can keep your FXX or whatever wherever you want.

And no, the Stingray isnt going to be some limited edition model.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'd actually only consider a 4 door, and I think the Challenger is hideous.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I got your pedestrian safety right here!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Phy posted:

If only cars had as good replicas as there are for watches

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ken Block's fabricator built a neat thing for his personal project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWKSUlectK4

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Darchangel posted:

Ken Block's fabricator built a neat thing for his personal project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWKSUlectK4

Holy poo poo, first the Fire Chicken and now this? That guy is a treasure!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

BOOTY-ADE posted:

The new Charger was only made because they got a free platform from Daimler and the Crossfire sold better than expected. That and taxi/police fleets. Regarding "legacy," there were many original Chargers with Slant 6 engines and Torqueflite, in similar proportions to the Mustang's single digit percentages of performance models. A lot were 318s, but the 155hp 2BBL ones were the most common. There probably are more big block Mopars now than ever left the factory such equipped.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

DJ Commie posted:

The new Charger was only made because they got a free platform from Daimler

LX development predates the merger (and was actually rooted in the LH), while it's almost certainly a better platform for having the E Class floorpan and suspension, it still would have existed.

The only thing Daimler ever did for Chrysler was set fire to the giant pile of money they had.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They also raided the Viper's toybox and gave Chrysler the W5A580 transmission.

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness
Most likely wrong thread but I feel like this is weird enough that its kind of awesome in a way

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

tuo posted:

Wrong thread

The stuff they did to the E31 was awful.

Oooooh no, that Koeing stuff on the E31 is in the right thread. That was hoooooot as gently caress

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Nothing But Hate posted:

Most likely wrong thread but I feel like this is weird enough that its kind of awesome in a way

can't not appreciate the style. all of them. :supaburn:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

"what sort of car is that?"

"all of them :grin: "

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Thundercougarfalconbird

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Phy posted:

I liked when Ferrari issued Dead Mouse with a cease and desist and banned him from buying new cars cause he put a nyan cat wrap on his. Get the gently caress over yourselves. Why would they even give a gently caress i dont get it.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 21, 2019

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ferrari are definitely a bunch of purists. I get the impression that's more of a Lamborghini thing anyways.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Ferrari are definitely a bunch of purists.

And willing to protect it with violence, if you believe the anecdotes out there of them sending hitmen after people building 100% accurate replicas in olden times when the world was still in black and white.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Keep in mind Ferrari also supplies tweaked cars for review and will even go as far as delivering multiple cars based on what tests will be done.

Jalopnik but it's Chris Harris and this is a good overview of the stuff they pull - https://jalopnik.com/how-ferrari-spins-5760248

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
man that makes me feel better for venting all my Ferrari stock when i changed brokers. i figure exotics are a pretty cutthroat segment but thats just lame

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

NitroSpazzz posted:

Keep in mind Ferrari also supplies tweaked cars for review and will even go as far as delivering multiple cars based on what tests will be done.

Jalopnik but it's Chris Harris and this is a good overview of the stuff they pull - https://jalopnik.com/how-ferrari-spins-5760248

And that was years before the whole Top Gear thing where they wanted to do the The Ferrari/918/P1 trinity, and Ferrari basically took their ball and went home for like six months while Clarkson got fired.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ferrari has always been weird. They've done weird VIN / rebuild stuff on cars too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ferrari are like those super exclusive watch and jewelry companies except its cars.