Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sloober posted:

Cave feels very much a non-player imo. I think they need faster way to get tiles out, since that is almost completely at the behest of everyone else. I tried it out at gen con with 5 with me as the cave. It's interesting but you can't even start your win condition until long after the others are near theirs. By the time a player won i still had about 1/3rd the stack left, and that is just to start trying to win.

Do you think any of that is just inexperience with the game? It might be like Chaos in the Old World where the game just assumes a certain level of mastery before it's really balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

Lord of the Rings LCG - 5837
Me - 0

Might have to build a deck beyond the four in the box.

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

If you've only used the starter decks you should experiment with some other things ASAP, there are a lot of meh cards in the core set you could replace with more usefull things. If you have only the core set for deckbuilding, forget about adhering to the 50 card requirement, since you don't have enough good cards for that yet

I feel like you should never have to time travel to future sets to beat the current scenarios. We found it more fun to keep integrating new cards into our decks as we went along.

This article explains how to build a deck from the core set only, although it uses multiple copies in a few places which you can just ignore: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/01/10/deck-building-101-core-set-construction/

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Kiranamos posted:

I feel like you should never have to time travel to future sets to beat the current scenarios. We found it more fun to keep integrating new cards into our decks as we went along.

This article explains how to build a deck from the core set only, although it uses multiple copies in a few places which you can just ignore: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/01/10/deck-building-101-core-set-construction/

Also, this series of articles is great and absolutely shows you some good decks which can be made with the core, and will kickstart you on your way to the first adventure cycle if you end up getting hooked: https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/beorns-path-part-1-core-set-deck-building/

Plus he writes good silly little thematic blurbs on why he's making his gameplay decisions, helps you get in the right mindset for the kinds of puzzles the LOTR LCG will throw at you.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

havent played it yet but god drat scythe looks like it owns

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Had a board game meetup this week! I wanted to meet some new people since I just moved to NE Ohio, and evidently the first Sunday of the month the local library has a board game club meet up there. Better still, it was designed for people new to the area and the hobby!

Turns out everyone there was 10-20 years older than me and brought their kids. You don't know misery until you're forced to play Codenames with an 8 year old*.

*Parents, if you've done this, I assure you that it's a LOT less charming when it isn't your kid.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

MrDru posted:

havent played it yet but god drat scythe looks like it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_55jpuZonM&t=8s

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Countblanc posted:

Had a board game meetup this week! I wanted to meet some new people since I just moved to NE Ohio, and evidently the first Sunday of the month the local library has a board game club meet up there. Better still, it was designed for people new to the area and the hobby!

Turns out everyone there was 10-20 years older than me and brought their kids. You don't know misery until you're forced to play Codenames with an 8 year old*.

*Parents, if you've done this, I assure you that it's a LOT less charming when it isn't your kid.
Throw in some Deep Undercover words when nobody's looking next time.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

holy poo poo

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Super excited to try my recently acquired Fury of Dracula. I really love the idea of "hiding" from a playgroup.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It's lots of fun! I would recommend you skip the "beginner" game and just read the extra rules on the powers and all the stuff the game considers "advanced" because You're gonna be wanting your powers as Dracula.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's lots of fun! I would recommend you skip the "beginner" game and just read the extra rules on the powers and all the stuff the game considers "advanced" because You're gonna be wanting your powers as Dracula.

I take it the "advanced" powers help balance the game somewhat? I've heard it can be difficult for Drac.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It can be once they get on your tail and never, ever let off of it. Although considering you're going to be playing for the first time that probably won't happen. But you don't really gain anything from taking away the powers as the Hunters don't lose anything other than being in predetermined starting spots otherwise.

Plus just as a heads up, the game might be kind of slow at first until the chase gets started properly so hopefully your group can handle a bit of a slow burn.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It can be once they get on your tail and never, ever let off of it. Although considering you're going to be playing for the first time that probably won't happen. But you don't really gain anything from taking away the powers as the Hunters don't lose anything other than being in predetermined starting spots otherwise.

Plus just as a heads up, the game might be kind of slow at first until the chase gets started properly so hopefully your group can handle a bit of a slow burn.

Thanks. As for the slow burn, we might pop in a Hammer movie or something.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Countblanc posted:

Do you think any of that is just inexperience with the game? It might be like Chaos in the Old World where the game just assumes a certain level of mastery before it's really balanced.

The game ended well into the collapse, with I think 3 crystals collapsed. Feels pretty balanced and I think things are pretty fair. Cave player had a lot of fun, I think it gets to be a much stronger role with some experience and placement of the crystals reasonably close together so you can collapse them rapidly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I only played one game of Dracula and it was kind of boring until the first encounter with Dracula then it got super exciting. The guy we played against gets annoyingly competitive to the point where he refused to explain the hide/diversion card. Basically Dracula has the ability to stay in one spot as a bluff and it's one of his starting abilities that you would only know about if you played the game before. Me and the other investigator were like "how the gently caress is he not here, he logically has to be at this location" and the Dracula player just starts arguing "I'm not telling you how I did it!" even after asking him what all the abilities are on his publicly known card. I furiously (pun intended) halted the game to flip through the manual for 15 minutes.

This is one of the biggest flaws of FFG's 1vMany game design. There's a lot of metagame aspects that all players need to know about but FFG assumes everyone at the table has this knowledge from the start and doesn't encourage players to be upfront about them. This isn't a tabletop RPG, you can't spring hidden poo poo on me. We were just talking about this a page ago where advanced players refuse to inform new players about their potential options. Like the first time I taught Rebellion I would tell my opponent things like "don't leave your Death Star unguarded, I'm at the stage where I can destroy it."

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Kiranamos posted:

dropkickpikachu posted:

Also, this series of articles is great and absolutely shows you some good decks which can be made with the core, and will kickstart you on your way to the first adventure cycle if you end up getting hooked: https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/beorns-path-part-1-core-set-deck-building/

Thank you I will read this over.

Plus he writes good silly little thematic blurbs on why he's making his gameplay decisions, helps you get in the right mindset for the kinds of puzzles the LOTR LCG will throw at you.

I will also read this.

I was using the standard decks without any additional cards just to learn the effects and rules. But as soon as I concede I can't win with one of those I will move on to mixing decks.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

al-azad posted:

I only played one game of Dracula and it was kind of boring until the first encounter with Dracula then it got super exciting. The guy we played against gets annoyingly competitive to the point where he refused to explain the hide/diversion card. Basically Dracula has the ability to stay in one spot as a bluff and it's one of his starting abilities that you would only know about if you played the game before. Me and the other investigator were like "how the gently caress is he not here, he logically has to be at this location" and the Dracula player just starts arguing "I'm not telling you how I did it!" even after asking him what all the abilities are on his publicly known card. I furiously (pun intended) halted the game to flip through the manual for 15 minutes.

This is one of the biggest flaws of FFG's 1vMany game design. There's a lot of metagame aspects that all players need to know about but FFG assumes everyone at the table has this knowledge from the start and doesn't encourage players to be upfront about them. This isn't a tabletop RPG, you can't spring hidden poo poo on me. We were just talking about this a page ago where advanced players refuse to inform new players about their potential options. Like the first time I taught Rebellion I would tell my opponent things like "don't leave your Death Star unguarded, I'm at the stage where I can destroy it."

With people like that is better to just not play with them. I mean he could have just cheated and got the same outcome. It's just better not to play with people who act like huge assholes.

I also thought those cards are advanced cards in the new edition and shouldn't be used in a first game.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Talas posted:

One did 103 and the other did 101, they never fought once while I made the mistake of attacking the other newbie early for an encounter token, I was Polania. I didn't expect she would put all her power into that fight but she did and I lost. I guess that was it for us.

Unless you were completely unaware that combat was impactful in the game it seems odd to question why this resulted in you and her losing hard.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Played some Mansions of Madness 2 today, app crashed 3/4 of the way through the scenario because the iOS version hasn't updated yet. Good game.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Ropes4u posted:

I will also read this.

I was using the standard decks without any additional cards just to learn the effects and rules. But as soon as I concede I can't win with one of those I will move on to mixing decks.

I had a miserable time playing with the mono-faction decks in the core set, so much so that it turned me off of the game for like a year before someone pointed me to Beorn's Path. It can be done, but it's gonna come down to dumb luck in the quest deck probably.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

al-azad posted:

This is one of the biggest flaws of FFG's 1vMany game design. There's a lot of metagame aspects that all players need to know about but FFG assumes everyone at the table has this knowledge from the start and doesn't encourage players to be upfront about them.

That's really not FFG's fault in specific. They can't magically make lovely players disappear, and they (and every other 1vMany game out there) can't include a personal copy of the rules for every single player.

When in doubt, have your designated game teacher read up ahead of time (and don't make the bad player the game teacher).

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Scythe-wife trip report

I played two two-player games with my wife. Her board game preferences tend toward Catan, Carcassone and Ticket To Ride; she's not a fan of war games or anything too "geeky" or space/fantasy themed. I pitched Scythe as a Catan with a giant robot or two.

I was familiar with the basic rules and had watched a tutorial video, my wife didn't know anything about the game. After the initial rules explanation, she had a look on her face that said "this game is too geeky for me." We agreed to play it until we'd both put a star on the score track.

After two turns of play she'd grasped all the fundamentals and was got into the flow of the game. The play board with the upgrades, workers and buildings was surprisingly intuitive once she understood the symbols. Soon, she was getting her economy engine upgraded, working towards putting stars on the board and scouting out encounters. The "first-star game-end" condition quickly went out the window. Riverwalk proved to be a little confusing, but the cheat sheet helped with that. A slight misunderstanding about calculating final scores meant she was racing to get stars, rather than getting popularity, which meant the scores were lopsided.

Game 1 verdict: "huh, that was fun, we can play this again."

The second game, all bets were off. She started a merciless efficiency engine and worked towards the building adjacency bonus and putting mechs on the board, while I tried to get upgrades and recruits. The final score was less than 10 points difference and the only reason I won is that I held the factory. We were both surprised how differently the game turned out - using different player boards and factions had a significant effect on early game strategies.

Game 2 verdict: "I wonder how it'll play with more people?"

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Why are there no first impressions of Seafall out yet?
They sold 150 pieces at Gencon so surely something could be up by now?

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

don't play with an rear end in a top hat who doesn't teach all the rules, don't blame ffg. whenever I taught this game to my friends, I told them all about the drac powers and stuff before hand.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Andarel posted:

The game ended well into the collapse, with I think 3 crystals collapsed. Feels pretty balanced and I think things are pretty fair. Cave player had a lot of fun, I think it gets to be a much stronger role with some experience and placement of the crystals reasonably close together so you can collapse them rapidly.

I think the issue is mostly with higher player counts. With 5, the cave has to manage to delay all four other players. You don't get the omen influx required to handle that on your own. The other players are not required to light up tiles except for the knight, so very few tiles were getting flipped each turn, and without omens rolling in you cannot lay out dark tiles nearly fast enough to manage it - especially since all 4 other players have a reason to get treasure tokens, so you're only going to get maybe 3 or 4 omens a turn which isn't nearly enough to mess things around. The thief in particular is troublesome as they can get their win condition from every other player. Crystal tiles have to be placed when you get them, so while you can attempt to keep them all close together, you don't have a great deal of power over it

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Well, Crystal tiles only have to be placed on your turn if you have them. Otherwise, you can place whatever tiles you want. Also, the dragon has to reveal tiles to get Event tiles due to Pride.

That said, opinions seem to be split in 5p rather than 4p so we'll see how that shakes out.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

the panacea posted:

Why are there no first impressions of Seafall out yet?
They sold 150 pieces at Gencon so surely something could be up by now?

They sold out before the doors were opened, so the people who have copies probably haven't got a chance to play them.

I demoed it (they had ways to undo permament marks) and I thought it was pretty cool. We didn't really dig into the legacy mechanics too much but there were some things that were obvious. They also didn't want to spoil the game plot too much but there are some guesses I have based on what i heard from my playthrough. I'll write something up later and I can try to answer questions.

I heard there was a video of the demo up from someone else at gencon so maybe look for that?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

How random did it feel like it would be? I saw a decent bit of dice rolling and an encounter book but didn't get to demo it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MrDru posted:

don't play with an rear end in a top hat who doesn't teach all the rules, don't blame ffg. whenever I taught this game to my friends, I told them all about the drac powers and stuff before hand.

I think they could facilitate making it easier. Having crib sheets that summarize all publicly known powers. When I think about all the board games I own FFG is kind of the weakest when it comes to supplemental material. I'm comparing apples and oranges here but GMT makes an effort to provide enough for everyone.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Bubble-T posted:

Unless you were completely unaware that combat was impactful in the game it seems odd to question why this resulted in you and her losing hard.
I actually thought combat was going to be more impactful and expected people to do it more, but that didn't happen :saddowns:

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Talas posted:

I actually thought combat was going to be more impactful and expected people to do it more, but that didn't happen :saddowns:

Combat? Impactful? In Scythe?!

Why would you think that? The power dials? The power cards? I just don't understand.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Not sure if anyone else has played it but Deception: Murder in Hong Kong was a surprise find at Gen Con thanks to Kaddish. Pretty sure he sold a bunch of copies of it by getting people to play it there. The game came out a couple of years ago apparently but i'd never heard of it.

Best way to describe it is probably Mysterium + Avalon + Clue, and it takes about 20-25 minutes to play a round. One play and I went over to Grey Fox and picked up a copy of it, and so did one of my friends.

Andarel posted:

Well, Crystal tiles only have to be placed on your turn if you have them. Otherwise, you can place whatever tiles you want. Also, the dragon has to reveal tiles to get Event tiles due to Pride.

That said, opinions seem to be split in 5p rather than 4p so we'll see how that shakes out.

The thief messes everything up something fierce, because in order to prevent his win everyone needs to go after him, as he can go after everyone else for his win condition. There is also very minimal benefit to killing him, so while you are doing that, you are not progressing on your goal. The cave can't even really affect him much more than slightly limiting his movement with cave ins or tile rotations, or telling him to pick an upgrade to discard (for the hefty price of 3 omen tokens)

Sloober fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 8, 2016

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Combat in Sycthe can be crucial but you have to know when to do it. Going around just attacking people will destroy you more then others and besides one faction you'll only ever get two stars for it anyway. Really the biggest thing with combat is, much like the real world, the threat of combat and saber rattling. Go deep in someone's territory and drop a bunch of workers to dare them to attack or bolster mechs near one of their key hexes is much more important then actually committing to a fight. Basically you need to act like an rear end in a top hat tin pot dictator rolling up into someone else's borders

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

so do people hate scythe here? or does it just have some odd flaws?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I've made the poor decision of playing through the campaign for Dominion's app, and goddamn, I swear that some of these setups are meant purely to infuriate the player. Sure, let's have a three-player game where one of the players just spams Throne Rooms and Spies and their turns take forever every single time! Blegh.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

The superficial similarities to Kemet also make it seem like combat would play a larger part.

Counterintuitively, combat does very little to directly help you win the game--stars turn into points, but they cap at two. Even if you're Saxony, at some point they serve more to hasten the end of the game than to improve your score. And combat drains your power, which makes it more difficult to achieve that star. And displacing workers decreases your popularity, which hurts your score more than anything.

The miniatures are also deceptive. We're so used to seeing a blob of pieces and thinking that represents actual troop strength, but in Scythe it's simply potential. If you're low on combat cards, the extra mechs do nothing to help and actually make a loss more debilitating for their owner.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

MrDru posted:

I don't think there's a gooncensus yet.

Personally I don't dislike it (it seemed pretty decent after one play); I was just being cheeky about how many game elements and the, apparent, theme support combat but the scoring usually doesn't.

Also shout outs to the Gen Con goons I got to get a game of Millennium Blades in with. It was fun being a jerk to maximize Friendship!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

MrDru posted:

I think it's far more liked than disliked, but this thread tends to drill in on every game's flaws (both real and perceived). There also seems to be an element in this thread that considers high production quality and solid mechanics to be incompatible (cf., the endless praise for Food Chain Magnate).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Afriscipio posted:

After two turns of play she'd grasped all the fundamentals and was got into the flow of the game. The play board with the upgrades, workers and buildings was surprisingly intuitive once she understood the symbols. Soon, she was getting her economy engine upgraded, working towards putting stars on the board and scouting out encounters. The "first-star game-end" condition quickly went out the window. Riverwalk proved to be a little confusing, but the cheat sheet helped with that. A slight misunderstanding about calculating final scores meant she was racing to get stars, rather than getting popularity, which meant the scores were lopsided.

Game 1 verdict: "huh, that was fun, we can play this again."

Game 2 verdict: "I wonder how it'll play with more people?"

:unsmith:

I have games banished to a dusty corner of a shelf never to be played again because first impression was bad; it's nice when it works out the other way sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
A few questions:

1. Now that it's been out for a while, what's the final consensus on Argent the Consortium? Does it have staying power? Do you guys still get it to the table?

2. What's the deal with Agricola Creatures Big and Small vs. Fields of Arle. I see they are both 2 player games by the same designer. I've been looking for a 2 player game that has a bit more meat than things like Patchwork, Lost Cities, Etc...

3. Rex vs. Dune. If I already own Dune is there a reason to also own Rex? Is it objectively better than Dune?

4. Anyone have opinions on Antike II?