Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Seemlar posted:

Zeta was planned to air later at night on Adult Swim. When Japan did their last minute move to pushing Seed instead they of course couldn't have their new mega-hit be treated as a niche thing, so they insisted on it being broadcast to the biggest possible audience which is why it got crammed into the worst-of-both-worlds situation of airing in the latest possible timeslot that still counted as Toonami, which meant it was still on relatively late but required comical levels of censorship with those disco-guns and sound edits

Zeta on Adult Swim I think was mostly just rumors. People talked at the time like it was this close to getting on TV, but that was also at the height of the DVD release being delayed for a year+, so I don't know how far any thing related to it getting on Toonami or Adult Swim ever got.

For SEED, there's a few different things there. Mark Simmons once pointed out that the powers that be knew they'd never get the entire show on a peak timeslot, the last few episodes really couldn't be edited enough to satisfy anyone and it was always planned to move to a late night timeslot. That it was only airing on Saturday nights when most of the big Gundam shows previously on Toonami had been daily (Either in the afternoon or Midnight Run) didn't do it any favors. I also think the fact that it was the first Gundam show that aired in Japan after Gundam had already blown up in the West was a mixed thing for it, since a lot of die-hards had already seen the show as it aired and it was apparently one of the most heavily :filez: in that period. The censorship was the unfortunate combination of Bandai marketing Gundam in general to younger audience in the West than in Japan, and the general trend in 2004 of anything remotely suggestive or whatever being censored or edited heavily in the wake of Janet Jackson's covered nipple being on TV for half a second a few weeks before (Seriously, everything was getting edited).

chiasaur11 posted:

Also, looking things up and doing some math for other Gundams. Assuming the high end for 00, there were around 2,210 Mobile Suits active at the time of season 1. Wing apparent has 3377 Mobile Suits in the show, with an additional 500 Serpents from the film. Rounding up, we'll say there were around 4,000 suits in total. High end estimates for Zeon from Gundam Century give them 8,000 Zakus, 1,400 Doms, and 740 Gelgoogs, putting them around 10,000 Mobile Suits in the One Year War, a staggering number even compared to B Club giving the Federation 3,800 GMs and Gundam Century listing 1,200 Balls. (The Federation made less than 3,000 Jegans according to B-Club, but it was close enough to be listed under "less than 3,000" rather than "more than 2,500", so it's safe to assume Jegans outnumber Mobile Suits in total from AD).

Source and usual production number wackiness aside, that Gelgoog number is crazy high. The general consensus from other sources puts the number around 230, with like 170~ being the base body type (YMS-14 and MS-14A/B/C/S), and most of the rest being MS-14F Marine types, and even then a whole lot of them never see combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I really dislike 00S2 but the finale from when Reborns shows up onwards is a 10/10 Gundam fight sequence.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

fartknocker posted:

Zeta on Adult Swim I think was mostly just rumors. People talked at the time like it was this close to getting on TV, but that was also at the height of the DVD release being delayed for a year+, so I don't know how far any thing related to it getting on Toonami or Adult Swim ever got.

Stuff about it has disappeared into Internet void since decades have passed, but it got to the point where some early promotion of it had started

https://icv2.com/articles/games/view/2389/bandai-adds-two-series-of-gundam-toys
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2003-02-20/gundam-on-tv

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

I thought the Geirail was the first unit developed post Calamity War, based on the late Calamity War era Valkyrie frame, and that the Graze was a refinement of the Geirail that better suited Gjallarhorn's needs produced not long after the Geirail?

My understanding is that it basically went: Valkyria Frame created -> only a few testbed units -> Geirail frame created as a mass production version of the Valkyria but by that point the war was almost over -> Graze is the first true post-CW MS.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

My understanding is that it basically went: Valkyria Frame created -> only a few testbed units -> Geirail frame created as a mass production version of the Valkyria but by that point the war was almost over -> Graze is the first true post-CW MS.

That doesn't mesh with basically anything in the setting books, including the kit manuals.

We don't know the details of EB-01 through EB-03, beyond that they probably existed, but they would predate the Geirail. What we do know is that the Geirail was a post-war design descended from the nine Valkyrie models during the war. After the Geirail became Gjallarhorn's mainline machine, Gjallarhorn felt the need for an improved model. Initial testing created the EB-05 Schwalbe Graze, a high performance flight capable model that was well ahead of anything in mass production. However, cost overruns and a difficult learning curve ended production for the Schwalbe Graze early, limiting it to an ace unit, with the cheap, effective, and easy to pilot EB-06 Graze replacing it as Gjallarhorn's mainline machine relatively recently.

The idea that the Graze is the first post-CW Mobile Suit is complete nonsense, and I have no idea where you got it from. The STH-05 Hayakuren is the first non-Gjallarhorn post-Calamity frame, based on unused Calamity War era designs, and the Shiden frame is the first completely original non-Gjallarhorn design of the post war era, but Gjallarhorn has been making new mobile suits for a long time.

Even if there weren't any other signs, just looking at the suits would tell the story. The Valkyrie, like all Calamity War era designs, has a grey Ahab reactor. The Geirail, as a post-war Gjallarhorn design, has a yellow strip on its Ahab reactor. The benefits of a consistent design language. You can learn a lot about a suit just by looking at the pictures.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wonder what the deal with Mobile Suits will be in Witch from Mercury.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the gribbly bits on the back transform into witch hats, duh. they look like really obvious components for shields and weapons, but i wasn't born yesterday.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the gribbly bits on the back transform into witch hats, duh. they look like really obvious components for shields and weapons, but i wasn't born yesterday.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wonder what the deal with Mobile Suits will be in Witch from Mercury.

powered by bubbling cauldrons

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
They put Mineva in a Popemobile! Turns out it was Leina who needed the Popemobile after all.

PS Lady Haman doesn't come off to good in this one, but I could still fix her

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Someone please post the Haman LiveJournal entry I can't find.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Someone please post the Haman LiveJournal entry I can't find.

GimmickMan posted:

HOLY poo poo I SAW HIM AGAIN TODAY!!!

i was at a party dealing with some stiff feddie suits when JUDAU FUCKIN CAME BACK <3

he was mad at me for some reason so i pulled a gun on him to calm him down like i did with char when we were havin sex back then but it didnt work.

instead he yelled at me and said i was bad and stuff. i shot at him but he didnt like it. then all of the sudden glemy's pedo girlfriend appeared and stood in front of him

AND THEN I SHOT HER Q_Q

JUDAU GOT REALLY MAD AND

MADE

A

DEMON

APPEAR IN FRONT OF HIMSELF!!!!!

HE HAD ALL OF THE NEWTYPE ENERGY FLOWING THROUGH HIM AND HE MADE A GIANT PROJECTION OF HIMSELF AND IT SCARED ME SO MUCH THAT I RAN BACK TO MY ROOM AND CRIED ABOUT IT FOR A LONG TIME

I'M..I CAN'T. I CAN'T. I AM SUCH A TRASH BABY FOR BLOWING IT WITH HIM.

I WISH WE COuld fuse togehter for a day like steven universe and connie did so he could see what we would be like together

im sorry judau for being so gross

Tagged: gently caress MY LIFE, personal, sex, love, tw:newtypes
20,000 notes

There you go.

On an unrelated note, the kit manuals for the Reginlaze confirm that it's designed to function as an aquatic suit with no loss of functionality. Gotta say, that's a hell of a grunt suit. Able to keep up with a Gundam as long as the pilot isn't overclocking, cheap, easy to modify, suited for any environment... there's much stronger grunt suits in other settings, but none of them feel so practical.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

There you go.

On an unrelated note, the kit manuals for the Reginlaze confirm that it's designed to function as an aquatic suit with no loss of functionality. Gotta say, that's a hell of a grunt suit. Able to keep up with a Gundam as long as the pilot isn't overclocking, cheap, easy to modify, suited for any environment... there's much stronger grunt suits in other settings, but none of them feel so practical.

Reginlaze is designed to do anything well, and can be furthered customized to excel in different areas. The Julia is a great example of how solid the Reginlaze's core was.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

chiasaur11 posted:

There you go.

I'm on episode like 23, what?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

What would be the strongest mass produced suit in Gundam, now that you bring it up? I mean properly mass produced within it's time, not "we hope/plan to mass produce it someday and there's maybe a few dozen now", kind of like the Gelgoog is at least presented as in shows or "it's massive relative to our numbers but it's really only a small number because we're a tiny group" like the Zaku III in ZZ or Geara Doga in Char's Counterattack. Or indeed like several Gundams. The Virgo II and Serpent from Wing are probably up there, and the GN-X line probably rates pretty highly if it was produced in numbers; though I can't recall off-hand how much it was actually produced, beyond the initial run of 30 at the end of season one.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm on episode like 23, what?

The Reginlaze is a next generation Gjallarhorn Mobile Suit built in the wake of the Edmonton battle. Its design indicates a shift from Gjallarhorn suits existing primarily for intimidation to them being expected to see combat against peer opponents. It's equipped with powerful nanolaminate armor as well, which renders beam weapons functionally useless. A blast that would vaporize a GN-X, for example, would be completely deflected. Powerful, versatile, and easy to use, the Reginlaze is a shining example of the skill of Gjallarhorn's design teams.

...Oh, right. The Haman thing. Yeah, that's coming later in ZZ.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

What would be the strongest mass produced suit in Gundam, now that you bring it up? I mean properly mass produced within it's time, not "we hope/plan to mass produce it someday and there's maybe a few dozen now", kind of like the Gelgoog is at least presented as in shows or "it's massive relative to our numbers but it's really only a small number because we're a tiny group" like the Zaku III in ZZ or Geara Doga in Char's Counterattack. Or indeed like several Gundams. The Virgo II and Serpent from Wing are probably up there, and the GN-X line probably rates pretty highly if it was produced in numbers; though I can't recall off-hand how much it was actually produced, beyond the initial run of 30 at the end of season one.

It would be the Gundam X I'd assume, Massive cannon plus Bits

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

GNX IV is mass produced and a monster. Pretty sure Brave is too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaius Marius posted:

It would be the Gundam X I'd assume, Massive cannon plus Bits

The Gundam X would be one of the Gundams I was thinking of when I said that only a handful were made and it was called "mass production", since only a handful of units were ever made so far as we know; along with a few dozen Bit mobile suits for them. The thing a lot of people point to as proof they were mass produced is the prologue of the show, but we only see 1 Gundam X in the prologue, Jamil's, along with a dozen Bits. Garrod finds another, and Jamil's old one is used in the construction of the Double X to authorize it's cannon with the satellite system on the Moon. It also doesn't even make sense they'd mass produce the X itself, since only a Newtype can use the Flash System or the Satellite System, and there's very few of them around in X. So why would the Federation analogue mass produce a suit almost no-one can use and they'd never have the pilots for?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's also the other one from "Under the Moonlight". I'd thought I'd seen at least 3 in the opening of X, but that was the Airmaster and Leopard. That said the questions more interesting if you discount gundams completely.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

GNX IV is mass produced and a monster. Pretty sure Brave is too.

The Brave was a limited production suit. It was meant to eventually hit mass production, but we don't have any evidence it achieved it, especially since the Brave pilots were hit pretty hard by the ELS (Admittedly, they retconned Graham back to life after the movie came out, because people like him a lot more than they like the movie). The GN=XIV probably hit mass production, since it can be upgraded from the already mass produced GN-XIII, but they were still limited before the movie's timeskip final scene. (Likewise, the Reginlaze only hit mass production in the IBO epilogue)

They're probably the leading candidate other than the MP Turn A. That said, actually seeing the firepower that it takes to drop a GN-X rather than just hearing the hype, heavy beam cannons from most settings could fry them pretty easily, and I'm not sure exactly how much tougher the IV is, considering it's an upgunned version of the same base machine. Really good suits, but not the head and shoulders above titan I was expecting.

(Also, rewatching Julieta's first fight with Mika, she did better than I remembered. Still lost pretty conclusively, but she scored more clean hits on him than Vidar, including a near-killshot that only failed due to armor. If she'd gotten the whiskers, she'd probably be the most dangerous pilot in the setting. ...I mean, she still wound up in that position by default, but you get what I mean.)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well the GNX-IV's can produce a much bigger GN field as a barrier than the GNX-I through GNX-III, so it has that going for it in terms of durability. I don't think GNX-I through GNX-III's had access to trans-am either, which is another great survivability option that can really boost a pilot's chances in a tight spot. It'll gently caress you if you can't make use of it in that short window, since GNX's have Tau drives and will be left completely drained after using trans-am bar some reserve particles that probably can't sustain you for long, so you have to be pretty desperate or confident to use it; but it is a good option in a pinch regardless. GNX-IV's have Veda supplemented operating systems too, which is going to be a boost to most pilots.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 26, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

I'd assume the Elf Bullock would be way up there and would most likely eclipse everything from the earlier UC.

Edit: Also probably the Mack Knife.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 26, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Virgo IIs are complete bullshit by the standards of mass production units, having fully functional planet defensors(which can no sell buster rifle shots) and being made of gundanium.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Can we all agree that the shittiest mass production unit is the Gaga though?

It is genuinely incredibly hard to think of a worse idea for a mass production suit than "What if we built an entire mobile suit that requires a pilot and a GN drive whose literal entire purpose is to ram into things and self-destruct."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 26, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Naw man, Ribbons seeing that clone type was only good for dying so he designed a whole suit so they could die better is cash money

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Kanos posted:

Virgo IIs are complete bullshit by the standards of mass production units, having fully functional planet defensors(which can no sell buster rifle shots) and being made of gundanium.

Three of them and the Epyon working in unison took on I think all 5 Gundams at the same time for a while if I'm remembering right.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Can we all agree that the shittiest mass production unit is the Gaga though?

It is genuinely incredibly hard to think of a worse idea for a mass production suit than "What if we built an entire mobile suit that requires a pilot and a GN drive whose literal entire purpose is to ram into things and self-destruct."

The only thing excessively stupid about them is the "each one is piloted by a Bring Stabity clone" bit, to be honest. They could make an infinite amount of tau drives, so a Gaga is, in effect, a really big and powerful GN missile with the speed of trans-am behind it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/pmcTRILOGY/status/1529587388229591040?s=20&t=AjReEdm2YZXw-oEVKUuZSg

https://twitter.com/pmcTRILOGY/status/1529603872435720196?s=20&t=AjReEdm2YZXw-oEVKUuZSg

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

The only thing excessively stupid about them is the "each one is piloted by a Bring Stabity clone" bit, to be honest. They could make an infinite amount of tau drives, so a Gaga is, in effect, a really big and powerful GN missile with the speed of trans-am behind it.

Every piece of equipment has an opportunity cost. Even if they can build unlimited you drives, those drives take time to make, and the resources spent on a Gaga could be spent on something that actually works instead of a missile that never kills anything.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Every piece of equipment has an opportunity cost. Even if they can build unlimited you drives, those drives take time to make, and the resources spent on a Gaga could be spent on something that actually works instead of a missile that never kills anything.

The Gagas probably would have instantly and one-sidedly destroyed any opposition *other* than Celestial Being's singular elite super-ship and its elite super-Gundams, to be fair.

Like yeah, they're probably excessive, but an exploding GN drive is extremely devastating and Trans-Am makes them nearly impossible to intercept. We use plenty of missiles in real life that cost millions of dollars per shot that could theoretically be invested into more "efficient" weapons on an absolute level.

The shittiest grunts are probably Rectens/Recksnows.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 26, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

The Gagas probably would have instantly and one-sidedly destroyed any opposition *other* than Celestial Being's singular elite super-ship and its elite super-Gundams, to be fair.

Like yeah, they're probably excessive, but an exploding GN drive is extremely devastating and Trans-Am makes them nearly impossible to intercept. We use plenty of missiles in real life that cost millions of dollars per shot that could theoretically be invested into more "efficient" weapons on an absolute level.

The shittiest grunts are probably Rectens/Recksnows.

Yeah but it's like a solvable problem. If you give each of them a beam cannon (like the kind mass produced for the GN-X) then they can shoot a lot of things and THEN ram into them an explode. That is literally what the Gaga Cannon is, strapped an GN-X weapon to the back of a capture Gaga and even if it's still a lovely mobile suit it's still more effective than the exact same suit without a weapon.

And if you want GN Tau Missiles then you can... make GN Tau Missiles.

Recten and Recksnows are not top tier or anything but they don't require self destructing to defeat something

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but it's like a solvable problem. If you give each of them a beam cannon (like the kind mass produced for the GN-X) then they can shoot a lot of things and THEN ram into them an explode. That is literally what the Gaga Cannon is, strapped an GN-X weapon to the back of a capture Gaga and even if it's still a lovely mobile suit it's still more effective than the exact same suit without a weapon.

And if you want GN Tau Missiles then you can... make GN Tau Missiles.

Recten and Recksnows are not top tier or anything but they don't require self destructing to defeat something

If a major issue with the Gaga is that it's a flagrant waste of resources, spending more resources to strap beam cannons to them sounds like a great way to waste more resources. It's like bolting cannons to a cruise missile so it can shoot at things on the way in.

Gagas, for all intents and purposes, *are* GN Tau Missiles. The only things that differentiate them from simply just being a missile with a tau drive warhead are having a partially humanoid shape and having a pilot(which I've already said is pretty pointless, but Ribbons is a megalomaniacal psycho who consistently feels the need to prove himself to be superior to the other innovades, so that's an ego thing).

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 26, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

If a major issue with the Gaga is that it's a flagrant waste of resources, spending more resources to strap beam cannons to them sounds like a great way to waste more resources. It's like bolting cannons to a cruise missile so it can shoot at things on the way in.

Gagas, for all intents and purposes, *are* GN Tau Missiles. The only things that differentiate them from simply just being a missile with a tau drive warhead are having a partially humanoid shape and having a pilot(which I've already said is pretty pointless, but Ribbons is a megalomaniacal psycho who consistently feels the need to prove himself to be superior to the other innovades, so that's an ego thing).

It's a stupid ego thing, since it means making worse, more expensive GN Tau missiles. Bolting on a cannon means that you can have them keep up the attack against lighter targets, saving the suicide bombing for emergencies. It's more potential utility from every suit, rather than just getting one use and done.

Going for the worst grunt suit is partially a context thing. The Leo is garbage, but in its original role of an anti-tank MS, it served well for decades. Meanwhile, the Gaga is made with amazing technology, but it accomplishes almost nothing in its entire service life.

The Windam is probably down there. No achievements, despite being the main MS of the main villain faction for most of Destiny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I mean the issue is that they are a mobile suit. They are not GN Tau missiles because they are designed like a mobile suit. If you already are making mobile suits give them guns so the people piloting them can kill things. If you aren't then don't make them piloted because having to make a piloted mobile suit instead of a missile is a much bigger waste.

gently caress, give the Gaga a beam saber. It's already ramming itself into poo poo, let it ram itself into poo poo beam saber first and if that isn't enough then they self-detonate. The advantage of a GN Drive is that it can allow for the use of GN weaponry.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

It's a stupid ego thing, since it means making worse, more expensive GN Tau missiles. Bolting on a cannon means that you can have them keep up the attack against lighter targets, saving the suicide bombing for emergencies. It's more potential utility from every suit, rather than just getting one use and done.

I mean, ideally if you were fighting lighter targets, you wouldn't deploy Gagas against them. In a theoretical fleet engagement against a peer fleet instead of a Ribbons-throwing-everything-at-the-Ptolemaios situation, you'd see Gagas being thrown at enemy carriers, battleships, and mobile armors - high value targets - while other units like the Regnant, Gadessa, or Garazzo cleaned up enemy mobile suits and chaff. Different weapons have different purposes, and it's not like the Innovades lacked units that would be really good at clearing out huge swathes of light targets without having to slam Gagas into Realdos.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

I mean, ideally if you were fighting lighter targets, you wouldn't deploy Gagas against them. In a theoretical fleet engagement against a peer fleet instead of a Ribbons-throwing-everything-at-the-Ptolemaios situation, you'd see Gagas being thrown at enemy carriers, battleships, and mobile armors - high value targets - while other units like the Regnant, Gadessa, or Garazzo cleaned up enemy mobile suits and chaff. Different weapons have different purposes, and it's not like the Innovades lacked units that would be really good at clearing out huge swathes of light targets without having to slam Gagas into Realdos.

Except the targets we see that might justify the expense of a Gaga manage to get through intact, while the chaff smashing suits can mostly down the moderate level stuff that might be worth a Gaga just as easy. They're a 'solution' in search of a problem that mostly exists because Anew has utterly absurd resources and no restraint in regards to how he uses it.

Speaking of limited resources, I've been trying to see how Iron Blooded Orphans handled the Reginlazes in season 2. Haven't been able to watch every single fight, but so far it's looking like they actually managed pretty well. I've accounted for 14 out of 18, with four survivors (including the Julia) and ten fatalities. No excess, and only four suits without confirmed fates.

If anyone else has even more free time to waste than me, feel free to correct me, but by my count:

3 Reginlaze (including Iok's custom model) were destroyed by the Mobile Armor when it awoke.
2 were destroyed by Gundams during the attack on the Turbines. (1 by Akihiro, 1 by Shino)
Mikazuki destroyed 4 members of Julieta's squad during "If this is the End" (Her squad accounted for 11 of the 13 remaining Reginlaze at the time)
McGillis destroyed one in "McGillis Fareed", and failed to destroy a second before moving on to his fight with Gaelio.
And three were seen alive during Tekkadan's last stand, including the Julia.

Considering how hard it is to tell a Reginlaze from a Graze without pausing the action, that's much better attention to detail than I was expecting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

Except the targets we see that might justify the expense of a Gaga manage to get through intact, while the chaff smashing suits can mostly down the moderate level stuff that might be worth a Gaga just as easy. They're a 'solution' in search of a problem that mostly exists because Anew has utterly absurd resources and no restraint in regards to how he uses it.

Speaking of limited resources, I've been trying to see how Iron Blooded Orphans handled the Reginlazes in season 2. Haven't been able to watch every single fight, but so far it's looking like they actually managed pretty well. I've accounted for 14 out of 18, with four survivors (including the Julia) and ten fatalities. No excess, and only four suits without confirmed fates.

If anyone else has even more free time to waste than me, feel free to correct me, but by my count:

3 Reginlaze (including Iok's custom model) were destroyed by the Mobile Armor when it awoke.
2 were destroyed by Gundams during the attack on the Turbines. (1 by Akihiro, 1 by Shino)
Mikazuki destroyed 4 members of Julieta's squad during "If this is the End" (Her squad accounted for 11 of the 13 remaining Reginlaze at the time)
McGillis destroyed one in "McGillis Fareed", and failed to destroy a second before moving on to his fight with Gaelio.
And three were seen alive during Tekkadan's last stand, including the Julia.

Considering how hard it is to tell a Reginlaze from a Graze without pausing the action, that's much better attention to detail than I was expecting.

I think it was stated that the Airianrhod fleet was slowly replacing their grazes with Reginlaze's in build up for the battle with McGillis. So there were probably more after those initial 18.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think it was stated that the Airianrhod fleet was slowly replacing their grazes with Reginlaze's in build up for the battle with McGillis. So there were probably more after those initial 18.

Do you remember when that was stated?

Just looking at the battles, other than Julieta's anti-Mika squad Reginlaze are pretty rare, so it seems odd if if the intention was that they'd reached mass production. When even Iok can't get a replacement, that suggests that the 18 they had were all the ones that were combat ready as of the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

Aren't their guns basically mini buster rifles too? Just reading up on the Japanese Wiki for the sake of it, the Virgo line goes up through the Virgo III and Virgo IV in Battlefield of Pacifists and Frozen Teardrop; with the Virgo III having only 2 large planet defensors rather than 6 small ones, but them granting a stronger magnetic field that can allow the unit to hover at low altitudes as well as defend against attacks, and the Virgo IV having a cannon with the strength of the Wing Zero's twin buster rifle. I'm not sure how wide the production on either was, but either way that's some over-compensating bullshit by whoever was fielding them.

Wait...it was ji-orn? I thought it used to be pronounced g-on? Hence people sometimes saying things like "Jeeg John"; where does the "r" come in? I definitely don't hear it at least.