Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
In patch 4.2, when the new dungeon, Hell's Lid, was connected to the Four Lords storyline and seperated from the main storyline, no mention was made by anyone at SE that this would be the new way of things, and what was to come. Now lands patch 4.3, and the new DUngeon, Swallow's Compass, is again tied to the Four Lords storyline, but now we come to realize that we MUST fight the Four Lords in order to open a dungeon for the Duty Roulette. I AM NOT HAPPY WITH CHOICE BEING REMOVED. In 4.2 I could make the choice to NOT do Byakko. Now I am being slapped in the FACE by SE and told ...YOU WILL DO BYAKKO IN ORDER TO UNLOCK A DUTY ROULETTE DUNGEON. Thank you SE, for REMOVING MY CHOICE, and FORCING me to do content that I may otherwise not choose to do. Can you please tell us what you will FORCE US to do next, so that I may prepare myself ?? Thank you for your attention. And Yoshi-P...if you are reading this...I give this patch a grade of D minus for this reason. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah I still have trouble getting a good camera angle for Famfrit, doesn't matter if I'm ranged or melee.

just zoom out

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

KoB posted:

just zoom out

You can also angle your camera up and down(rather than rotate it vertically around your character) if the zoom isn't far enough for your liking. Defaults are Control+Up/Down arrows on keyboard. Not sure what the gamepad solution is.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Can we just loving, like, get :mord: as a "Source Your Motherfucking Quotes" macro?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Can we just loving, like, get :mord: as a "Source Your Motherfucking Quotes" macro?

No, we'd have to get the other dude who did it first as that macro.

RIP that other dude.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

This guy's got the right idea.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

At least this guy isn’t as bad as the guy that has to use tranquilizers after he runs any 8 man or else he is a danger to himself and others.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

At least this guy isn’t as bad as the guy that has to use tranquilizers after he runs any 8 man or else he is a danger to himself and others.

post it

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

quote:

And I am a fairly casual player and I avoid 8 and 24 man content because I just don't find them as enjoyable as 4 man content. Mainly because of IRL physical and mental disabilities, I'm not good and coping with mechanics that will straight up kill you if you fail, vs mechanics that only have the possibility of killing you if you fail.

As such, my only real source for upgrades come from Ex dungeons and tomes. And the best way to grind those is the roulette. So I was also very upset to learn that my only viable way of upgrading myself in an acceptable amount of time was locked behind a type of content I never wanted touch.

"But why would you want avoid such content, you filthy casual?", you ask. Because, my dear elitists, would you rather play with a player who can cope with the skill level required of the 8 and 24 man content, or would you rather play with a player who once he fails a mechanic a couple of times his mental state starts to worsen and negatively affect his in-game performance?

I prefer playing with people who would choose the later option, but reality isn't that nice.

quote:

What you said is actually quite offensive to me. Not everyone with disabilities - like me for example - can just cope with 10 minute of 8 man content and just move on.

Just 10 minutes of byakko NM was a nightmare for me that had me needing medication just to calm down afterwards because of the stress.

Hence why I stick to 4-man content, BECAUSE it doesn't stress me out.

quote:

For all the people who've been saying "You beat Shinryu and Tsukoyomi. Suck it up". I will say Shinryu Story is the main reason I am never wanted to ever touch the non-MSQ SB trials and primals until 6.3 because Shinryu stressed me out so much I literally had to tranquilize myself so I didn't hurt myself because how stressed I was. Tsukoyomi wasn't as bad, but I still had to medicate myself and lock myself in safe area to cope afterwards.

Again, I do not react this negatively to 4-man content. It is only 8 and 24-man content that pushes my stress levels.

I tolerate the 8-man MSQ trials because I love the MSQ and the 4-man dungeons (even the EX Roulette ones!), so I don't mind some discomfort to progress the MSQ. But locking the only dungeon of the patch with the gear needed to bump my ilvl up enough to even do the MSQ primal behind a primal I wouldn't attempt because I knew it meant extra discomfort...

Yes. I am hacked off about it.
Yes. I am, as you say, "playing the disability card".
Because SURPRISE!
YES! There varying levels of disability. Mine just happens to be worse for more than 4-man content.

So yes, SE has finally - after almost 5 years - of my support of ffxiv has finally hit a point where I will complain about things other than gear appearance or how Jobs work.

Because they changed things enough that things are finally completely out of my comfort zone - by gating the content I love to do behind the stuff I never want to do.

I believe that's all I have to say on this subject for now. Good day to most of you.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Is there anything I can do with Allagan Tomestones of Poetics at Level 70? My pockets are full of the things, and I'm trying to gear up, but I'm guessing there's no way to buy Creations/Mendacities with them or anything?

Suppose it might just be best to save them for when other jobs hit 50.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LordHippoman posted:

Is there anything I can do with Allagan Tomestones of Poetics at Level 70?

You can buy crafting material that's still used in a few glamour-worthy crafts from the Poetics vendor in Idyllshire. Check out the prices on your server and see if there's anything worthwhile there.

I'm not sure why they're so stressed about it. You can die in Byakko Normal and sit on the ground for the entire rest of the fight and not only will the rest of your group probably clear it for you, but they won't care that you died in the first place.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I entered my house in the contest, but I also spent this weekend decorating a friend's house. I like it better than my own house, so even if I can't enter it, I figure I would still share it.
Excalibur- Goblet, Ward 5, Plot 16, Owner Aelowyn Branford
Exterior:

It's a little cafe in the Goblet. There's a waiting area and outside dining for those who don't mind the heat.

Interior, Top Floor:

Want a cozy booth? How bout a seat at the bar?

Interior, Bottom Floor:

More seating and direct counter service from the kitchen.

Come check it out and leave stupid messages in my friend's guest book.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I mean it sucks that that person's stress is so finely tuned that dungeons are fine but being only a tiny tiny hair harder than that isn't but on the other hand expecting Square to be aware of every possible trigger (in the original sense) that could possibly exist instead of just the common ones is a fool's errand

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vermain posted:

You can buy crafting material that's still used in a few glamour-worthy crafts from the Poetics vendor in Idyllshire. Check out the prices on your server and see if there's anything worthwhile there.
OR: You can buy portraits of Haurchefant at 100 a pop. I think the choice is clear.

quote:

I'm not sure why they're so stressed about it. You can die in Byakko Normal and sit on the ground for the entire rest of the fight and not only will the rest of your group probably clear it for you, but they won't care that you died in the first place.
This game does seem to get a disproportionate amount of anxiety disorder-havers playing it. Maybe it's from the Final Fantasy connection?

Griz
May 21, 2001

Vermain posted:

does Byakko normal even have any instakill mechanics besides going out of bounds in second phase? sweep the leg only does like 15k and I'm pretty sure the huge purple line aoe is survivable.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Maybe its callous of me to say something like this but if you have to sedate yourself after having a panic attack at video game bosses, it seems like a bad idea to play that video game

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Nessus posted:

This game does seem to get a disproportionate amount of anxiety disorder-havers playing it. Maybe it's from the Final Fantasy connection?

it's because it sells itself as the more casual MMO than WoW (has to because it can't beat out WoW's existing dedicated hardcore playerbase. if it could the Japan vs. the rest of the world clear rates on savage/ultimate would be less lopsided) but still has the playerbase that people are likely to have friends who play it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Griz posted:

does Byakko normal even have any instakill mechanics besides going out of bounds in second phase? sweep the leg only does like 15k and I'm pretty sure the huge purple line aoe is survivable.

Space jam without enough people or into a growing puddle?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Space jam without enough people or into a growing puddle?

That mechanic isn't even in normal version, I don't think.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Mister Olympus posted:

it's because it sells itself as the more casual MMO than WoW (has to because it can't beat out WoW's existing dedicated hardcore playerbase. if it could the Japan vs. the rest of the world clear rates on savage/ultimate would be less lopsided) but still has the playerbase that people are likely to have friends who play it.

It's kind of funny this perception remains since WoW has increasingly become more casual to play with global level scaling while XIV remains so rigid. But that's just the leveling experience I guess. Non-hardcore WoW instanced content was never particularly hard in my experience, just an incredible slog because gotta have lotsa trash.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
On one hand, I get it- people want to play their fun game and have a chill time, and not everyone can deal well with the stress of performing badly in front of others. No matter how many times you tell someone that everyone had to learn to run content somehow the problem remains that people don't want to be The Bad, especially after a trial is two weeks old and most of your group is going to be Trial Rouletters who hit the button for a five minute dive for ten of the current tier of tomestone who will either ragequit or drop into asinine toxicity the moment they even catch a whiff of a potential struggle. I mean, we all see the posts that appear in this very thread of people dumping on Roulette DPS. A lot of otherwise-normal people don't want to put themselves into a scenario where anyone can point out that they're that guy.

On the OTHER hand, complaining about having to do one more 8-man seems like a really weird problem when to get to the point to complain about that one, they will have had to gone through... I mean... Rihtahtyn, King Moggle Mog, Leviathan, Ramuh, Shiva, Nabriales, Ifrit, Titan, Garuda, Vishap, Ravana, Bismark, Thordan, Nidhogg, Susano, Lakshmi, and Shinryu to get there, none of which are optional. Sure, if they joined the game late some of those are complete jokes like Rihtahtyn and Thordan, but still. This can't be the shocking moment where suddenly all norms are broken. There's also many ways to get tomestones in FFXIV that don't involve EX Roulette, including Eureka which is probably the most stress-free environment in the game with so many idlers nobody cares how bad someone who's actually CONTRIBUTING to a fight does. And in about four more weeks we'll also have the new Deep Dungeon too. Or theycan just do all the things you can do by yourself to make money and raise crafters and gear that way instead.

... and this might be mean, but if they're having performance anxiety issues the Swallow's Compass is probably not the dungeon they're going to want to be running over and over for an entire patch. It's easily the most difficult dungeon this patch cycle and probably the hardest dungeon in the entire Stormblood expansion outside maybe Castrum Abania. Monkey King in particular might be the hardest dungeon boss we've gotten since Ser Charibert all the way back during HW leveling, at least without using a guide to see how all his mechanics work and what order they're going to come in beforehand.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 5, 2018

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

Swallow's Compass is probably not the dungeon they're going to want to be running over and over for an entire patch. It's easily the most difficult dungeon this patch cycle and probably the hardest dungeon in the entire Stormblood expansion outside maybe Castrum Abania.

This is a joke, right? Swallow's Compass is easy af and a chill stroll to cool town.

It is also easily one of my top 5 dungeons ever put in the game. It is a very good dungeon.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Mordiceius posted:

This is a joke, right? Swallow's Compass is easy af and a chill stroll to cool town.

It is also easily one of my top 5 dungeons ever put in the game. It is a very good dungeon.

I mean, the short answer is that different people have different difficulties and anxieties.

Very little can be done about this because you will get a million different answers consulting the community about desired difficulty.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
SC is easy but also I had a brd in there with me that died about 5 times so.

life (or death I guess) finds a way.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Argas posted:

It's kind of funny this perception remains since WoW has increasingly become more casual to play with global level scaling while XIV remains so rigid. But that's just the leveling experience I guess. Non-hardcore WoW instanced content was never particularly hard in my experience, just an incredible slog because gotta have lotsa trash.

I'm not using the definition of "casual" based on time investment, I'm doing the one based on content completion, and in that regard, the players that want to complete the highest tiers of content in US and EU overwhelmingly break for WoW still. Even if FF14 casuals spend a lot of time on the game because of relics and glams and poo poo, they're not doing the 'stressful' things as above.

It's also been a very long time since time invested into a MMO had a lot of serious bearing on difficulty of content completed, because people stopped designing MMOs like Vanilla WoW where you had to farm consumables for three hours for every one hour you raided. So nobody should really use the time-investment definition of casual anymore, cutting off that angle of debate before it can even start.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Goku chumped the gently caress outta me the first time around going in blind but after that it was all fine. He has huge tells.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I know I ran Swallow's Compass, but I don't have anything to say about it. It was fine. I don't have any desire to run it again either. I remember being disappointed that I thought the second boss was going to be like Bardam's Mettle, but then it wasn't.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Mister Olympus posted:

I'm not using the definition of "casual" based on time investment, I'm doing the one based on content completion, and in that regard, the players that want to complete the highest tiers of content in US and EU overwhelmingly break for WoW still. Even if FF14 casuals spend a lot of time on the game because of relics and glams and poo poo, they're not doing the 'stressful' things as above.

It's also been a very long time since time invested into a MMO had a lot of serious bearing on difficulty of content completed, because people stopped designing MMOs like Vanilla WoW where you had to farm consumables for three hours for every one hour you raided. So nobody should really use the time-investment definition of casual anymore, cutting off that angle of debate before it can even start.

That's fair. The term is pretty bloated and vague at this point as game design changes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mordiceius posted:

In patch 4.2, when the new dungeon, Hell's Lid, was connected to the Four Lords storyline and seperated from the main storyline, no mention was made by anyone at SE that this would be the new way of things, and what was to come. Now lands patch 4.3, and the new DUngeon, Swallow's Compass, is again tied to the Four Lords storyline, but now we come to realize that we MUST fight the Four Lords in order to open a dungeon for the Duty Roulette. I AM NOT HAPPY WITH CHOICE BEING REMOVED. In 4.2 I could make the choice to NOT do Byakko. Now I am being slapped in the FACE by SE and told ...YOU WILL DO BYAKKO IN ORDER TO UNLOCK A DUTY ROULETTE DUNGEON. Thank you SE, for REMOVING MY CHOICE, and FORCING me to do content that I may otherwise not choose to do. Can you please tell us what you will FORCE US to do next, so that I may prepare myself ?? Thank you for your attention. And Yoshi-P...if you are reading this...I give this patch a grade of D minus for this reason. Thank you.

Imagine having to play the game in order to access content. (Yes, I'm aware this is a quote.)

SonicRulez posted:

I know I ran Swallow's Compass, but I don't have anything to say about it. It was fine. I don't have any desire to run it again either.

Same. I did it once, it was pretty neat looking and easy, but I don't have a desire to do it again unless I feel like farming the minion/music.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Well, I mean, it's a 4-man. They're all easy af to even remotely geared and invested players. But I've seen the 2nd and 3rd bosses just mug the unprepared and dodging everything the last boss does in the final phase took a couple runs to get down. I've seen more dungeon deaths this past week in EXDR then I have in a long while. It's definitely not the free-roll that Fractal Hard and Hell's Lid were even if the teams ignored half the mechanics the worst you'd happen is hear some angry noises from the healer.

It's also probably my favorite dungeon of the cycle, yeah. It's not quite as good as Doma or Bardam's, but they put a whole lot more style and setup into this one then Generic Cave Slog #2 and #3.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 5, 2018

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Swallows Compass is bad because it's a lot of empty space with two pack pulls.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
OTOH, Swallow's Compass is great because the trash hits for gently caress-all so you can pull big all day erry day?

edit: except for the loving morbol. Do not pull the morbol into the rest of the corridor, I have never seen that end in a matter other than the tank biting it, but again, because the trash hits for gently caress-all, it's an easy recovery.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 5, 2018

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Argas posted:

That's fair. The term is pretty bloated and vague at this point as game design changes.

FF14 also has very clear delineations of it now that people just can't agree to because they still process time investment as casual status.

Does not do or cannot clear savage when current=casual

Clears savage when current, does not world race, may or may not attempt ultimate=midcore

Clears ultimate or races for world first savage=hardcore

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So when the server went down, I got bored and following another Goon's actions, I installed WoW. I haven't played WoW since 2011. I logged in, and it just feels bad. It's floating and I hate it. After five minutes of jumping round, I uninstalled WoW. That is my story.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I thought the purpose of SC was for the first boss to enable tanks to troll the gently caress out of melee dps.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mordiceius posted:

So when the server went down, I got bored and following another Goon's actions, I installed WoW. I haven't played WoW since 2011. I logged in, and it just feels bad. It's floating and I hate it. After five minutes of jumping round, I uninstalled WoW. That is my story.

I've been playing some WoW recently (my old group of friends is still pretty invested), and I... can enjoy it, but yeah, XIV just feels so much better in terms of timing and combat cadence and movement and mechanical design, it's kind of nuts.

The fact that you still have to log out to a character select screen and select a whole different character to change jobs feels absurdly last century to me at this point, despite WoW being from my own-rear end college years in 2004.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ibblebibble posted:

Goku chumped the gently caress outta me the first time around going in blind but after that it was all fine. He has huge tells.

The only issue I had with this guy was when he clones himself and one has the long Power Pole while the other has the short one.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

OTOH, Swallow's Compass is great because the trash hits for gently caress-all so you can pull big all day erry day?

edit: except for the loving morbol. Do not pull the morbol into the rest of the corridor, I have never seen that end in a matter other than the tank biting it, but again, because the trash hits for gently caress-all, it's an easy recovery.
Haven't had a problem with tanks doing that, but that's with me on RDM with a 5 enchanted moulinet combo ready to go to mincemeat everything. The only bad thing it does is... Well. Bad Breath and that's as stunnable as ever :v:

When I tank I usually use the morbol as a rest break to let my Fight or Flight come back up for the next hallway.

I like the last section of Swallows Compass since Malediction of the Wind inflicts vuln up on the mobs :getin:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The only issue I had with this guy was when he clones himself and one has the long Power Pole while the other has the short one.

Most of the issues I've seen on the last boss are from his single form tether doing a huge knockback on people, and the double up of the stack AoE and short range Both Ends. For some reason, people stack too close to the Both Ends dude on that every time.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 5, 2018

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LordHippoman posted:

Is there anything I can do with Allagan Tomestones of Poetics at Level 70?

Not really - a handful of orchestrion rolls and 50/60 gear, otherwise, take a look at the anima relics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mordiceius posted:

That's just an issue of familiarity. Having played significantly more WoW than XIV, WoW feels extremely snappy and responsive while XIV mostly feels like I'm playing through molasses. Everything is ponderously slow, even with the OGCDs, especially movement.

But that's just because I'm used to a different game. They're different games, they do different things. It's a refreshing change of pace.