Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Maybe this is just because I watched Casablanca last night, but I think Mal is really more of a poorly-written Rick than a poorly written Han Solo.

Both are characters that we are introduced to as cynical and selfishly motived, but quickly learn used to be romantic idealists drawn to hopelessly outmatched causes.

Although I guess that's ultimately all the same archetype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

lol one episode

dunno where you possibly invented "post-scarcity economy" from since I said nothing of the sort, really going out of your way to try to dunk on me here. They live on the frontier and they're poor outlaws, but the point is they're at risk of running out of food and gas. They're not at risk of the ship exploding from too much pressure because they didn't properly calculate the azimuth angle or something like that which requires higher brain function.

He got the post scarcity part because you said it was like star trek, which is post scarcity, while firefly is definitely not. In firefly they spend a great deal of time on recruiting the perfect pilot and engineer, and make a great big deal about how temperamental the engine is. One of the episodes is about an explosion in the engine.

So, like I don't think anyone is trying to dunk on you, but you are super wrong about this crappy scifi show, and theres no reason to post just to be wrong.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Zaphod42 posted:

lol one episode

Unless you count all the other episodes where poo poo breaks down for them and it doesn't immediately cause a life-threatening emergency, yeah. It's a significant part of the show's runtime.

quote:

dunno where you possibly invented "post-scarcity economy" from since I said nothing of the sort, really going out of your way to try to dunk on me here. They live on the frontier and they're poor outlaws, but the point is they're at risk of running out of food and gas. They're not at risk of the ship exploding from too much pressure because they didn't properly calculate the azimuth angle or something like that which requires higher brain function.

"Post-scarcity economy" is generally how the Trek universe - a tech level that you directly compared it to - is described. I said they were "out of space gas" because that's the episode's title, in reality they are at risk of everyone on the ship dying because they didn't properly replace a part - something that I'm guessing requires higher brain function. I don't know where your hostility is coming from but "one small thing went wrong and everyone almost died" is pretty directly contradictory to "ships are like subways, of course people with dire Space Madness can use them".

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

The best way I saw the kind of idea done was with Star Trek: Voyager
Pretty sure this is the first time anyone's ever said that.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

Tudyk kept working with Whedon at least up through the second season of Dollhouse, like five years after Serenity. And uh even if they hadn't killed Wash how would that have had any bearing on Tudyk and Whedon's relationship, the show had already been canceled for two years at that point?

In my defense, I forgot that Dollhouse existed just like 90% of all people.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I thought the stranded episode was about a broke engine part, not being outta space gas.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I thought the stranded episode was about a broke engine part, not being outta space gas.

To be fair, the episode is called "Out of Gas"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

They were just tuckered out.

I don’t remember a whole lot about Reavers, but isn’t it possible they’re not crazy all the time? Like they get into a blood lust whenever they find a passing vessel, but otherwise they manage to delegate responsibility enough to not blow up most of the time.

People used to be scared shitless of Vikings, who would perform unspeakable acts on innocent people, but the boats didn’t sink and the leather was properly oiled.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

muscles like this! posted:

Ah, but you see, it was actually referring to the air in the ship. How delightfully devilish of Whedon to subvert expectations like that.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Another annoying thing from the show is that in the first episodes their guns made realistic gun sounds, but then for some reason, without changing the design of the weapons at all, they suddenly began making zappy laser gun sound effects instead.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Eclipse12 posted:

Another annoying thing from the show is that in the first episodes their guns made realistic gun sounds, but then for some reason, without changing the design of the weapons at all, they suddenly began making zappy laser gun sound effects instead.

It's been some time since I watched it : was it maybe just the gun that they were using? The show does have a mix of bullet guns and laser guns, depending on who manufactured them, I'm pretty sure.

Edit: Wait actually I'm pretty sure they're all regular ones, isn't there an episode where they go to steal the only laser gun or something

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Feb 27, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I remember vaguely watching the commentary track and when someone brought up the noise the guns made, the production team joked about using space bullets.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crowetron posted:

In my defense, I forgot that Dollhouse existed just like 90% of all people.

I'm in the 10% and I wish I could forget the Joss Whedon Rape Hour.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

christmas boots posted:

Maybe this is just because I watched Casablanca last night, but I think Mal is really more of a poorly-written Rick than a poorly written Han Solo.

Both are characters that we are introduced to as cynical and selfishly motived, but quickly learn used to be romantic idealists drawn to hopelessly outmatched causes.

Although I guess that's ultimately all the same archetype.

I'd agree with the comparison, although I don't think Mal ever got over his cause. He just stopped being optimistic it could be done. He'd been beaten and saw no way to actually stick it to the Alliance since he was too focused on surviving. The evidence of the Pax experiment on Miranda gave him the hope he thought he'd lost. I think the flashbacks to the war even show him wearing a cross around his neck, so losing the war also killed what actual religious faith he had.

Morpheus posted:

It's been some time since I watched it : was it maybe just the gun that they were using? The show does have a mix of bullet guns and laser guns, depending on who manufactured them, I'm pretty sure.

Edit: Wait actually I'm pretty sure they're all regular ones, isn't there an episode where they go to steal the only laser gun or something

It wasn't the "only" laser gun, but I think the first laser gun. That is, it was the original laser gun prototype. The setting probably uses both since actual regular guns are cheaper and easier to manufacture, probably.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah, they steal an antique historic laser gun, not the only one.

Pretty sure they use a mix of blams and pew pews, but its been awhile since I watched it all.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

“Mal” is French for bad so him being a bad character wasn’t exactly hidden

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
More like oldbreadless.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

oldpainless posted:

“Mal” is French for bad so him being a bad character wasn’t exactly hidden

They even point that out in the first episode, the autisticninjagirl tells her brother ‘Mal, bad. Like the Latin.’ Because Whedon has to explain all his jokes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd like to see a horror thing in which the character gets one over on the ghost. Like he's hiding under the bed, sees the ghost looking for him and just darts his hand out, grabbing his ankle, and the ghost's just like "GAH! gently caress! You scared the poo poo out of me... Well played."

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Back to the Future, the first film, has a great sense of humor and Marty is a genuine, empathetic dude, the whole movie has a great emotional core and balances comedy and action perfectly.

Part II turns Marty into a moron who constantly does stupid poo poo, most of the movie is just Marty and Doc having to fix poo poo because of Marty's incompetence. Most of the humor is excised from the film and it has little emotional resonance.

I loved Part II as a kid, it was an amusement park of nonstop set pieces, but as an adult Part I is a transcendent blockbuster experience that is both hilarious and nail bitingly tense at the clocktower scene, Part II just feels like it kind of shits on Marty as a character and turns him into a twat. The whole "chicken" character trait was so rear end-pulled.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That's the same reason I actually prefer Fun with Dick and Jane to Bruce Almighty. Carrey never takes his lovely position out on his wife in the former and they are super close, having each other's back at all times. It's a really sweet relationship. In Bruce Almighty he's just a lovely person. Bruce is more of an rear end to his wife that Robotnik is to Agent Stone. At least you get the feeling that Robotnik likes stone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Feels like it's kind of the point that Bruce is a huge dick who doesn't know how good he has it, but yeah, that doesn't make it necessarily better to watch.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feels like it's kind of the point that Bruce is a huge dick who doesn't know how good he has it, but yeah, that doesn't make it necessarily better to watch.

Dick and Jane are just fun to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBI5Rk9qYjU

I just love that when she finds out about the foreclosure notice, rather than getting angry with her husband for keeping it from her she just turns the stress onto the shopkeeper, joining him fully in the heist mentality.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Back to the Future 2 feel more like more the big finish to the trilogy, what with getting to actually see the future and revisiting the first movie. BTTF3 has much lower stakes, coming from 'Marty could get erased from the timeline' and 'Marty's entire timeline could get erased altogether' and ending with 'Marty could get shot by a cowboy.'

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Back to the Future 2 feel more like more the big finish to the trilogy, what with getting to actually see the future and revisiting the first movie. BTTF3 has much lower stakes, coming from 'Marty could get erased from the timeline' and 'Marty's entire timeline could get erased altogether' and ending with 'Marty could get shot by a cowboy.'

Hey. Getting shot by a cowboy is way worse than fading from the timeline. Fading from the timeline sucks, but getting shot hurts!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The clock tower sequence in 1 and the train sequence in 3 are probably my two favourite action bits ever. The pacing is astonishingly good. poo poo it might be time for a rewatch.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I've seen bttf so many times and the clock tower scene never fails to be exciting. Doc's reaction when he pulls the cable out is so great

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just realized that while I've seen a bunch of scenes from the third Back to the Future again and again over the years, I've never seen the whole movie. And honestly, I don't care to, especially if it continues the trend that started in two.

Speaking of which, is Back to the Future the most obvious "Was supposed to be only one film and had to change a bunch of poo poo for a trilogy to happen" example? Maybe the Matrix trilogy? Any others?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I just realized that while I've seen a bunch of scenes from the third Back to the Future again and again over the years, I've never seen the whole movie. And honestly, I don't care to, especially if it continues the trend that started in two.

Speaking of which, is Back to the Future the most obvious "Was supposed to be only one film and had to change a bunch of poo poo for a trilogy to happen" example? Maybe the Matrix trilogy? Any others?

The terminator. It worked well as two movies but they’ve basically tried to make a terminator 3 4 times now.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The terminator. It worked well as two movies but they’ve basically tried to make a terminator 3 4 times now.

I was going more for something that was only ever supposed to be a single film but then turned into a trilogy, but that certainly works.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I love the middle films in a trilogy. Superman 2, Spider-Man 2, Empire Strikes Back, Temple of Doom, and even BTTF 2. They get to be darker and distance themselves somewhat from the more audience friendly first installments. Then the 3rd one comes up and is a sappy emotional mess (Last Crusade, Jedi, Spider-Man, Matrix Revolutions.

BTTF 2 had that great ending with Marty trying to avoid himself in 1955. I didn’t really care much for Avengers Endgame, but when they did the BTTF 2 scene I was all about it.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Krispy Wafer posted:

sappy emotional mess (Last Crusade,
I'll fight you, Last Crusade is the best Indiana Jones movie!

I pretty much agree with the rest of your post though

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, I also prefer Last Crusade to Raiders. I've never really been able to figure out why, and it's not as though I don't like Raiders. Maybe it's the dad stuff with Connery? It was incredibly well done.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

*I scream so loud it tears a hole in the fabric of reality*

THE HOBBIT

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

RareAcumen posted:

*I scream so loud it tears a hole in the fabric of reality*

THE HOBBIT

I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but nothing will make me watch the Hobbit films. It seems like a mind-numbing waste of nine hours, and I've honestly never heard anything worthwhile about them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but nothing will make me watch the Hobbit films. It seems like a mind-numbing waste of nine hours, and I've honestly never heard anything worthwhile about them.

I’ve only seen the first one, and some friends dragged me to see it in theatres. That movie just wouldn’t end, it was physically uncomfortable in the same way a long flight was.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's really obvious that at least 25% of the second and third films was added in reshoots because it was originally supposed to be just two movies but then when filming was already done the studio decided three films was more profitable so they went back and added a bunch of filler like the big chase in the mines and the love triangle.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Where does “let’s split the last book of this series into two movies to wring the last drops outta this cash cow” fall into this conversation?

I will never stop laughing out of the fact they did that for the Divergent series and then cancelled the fourth movie. I’m surprised that hasn’t happened more.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That last Star Wars might have benefited from a 4th movie.

I think Divergent killed the 4 movie trilogies. That only seemed to work on YA audiences (Twilight, Harry Potter, Hunger Games). Avengers did 4 movies, but I don't know if that counts. I had to actually go look that up because it felt like more since you had so many other movies cribbing off the original series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Krispy Wafer posted:

That last Star Wars might have benefited from a 4th movie.

I don't think giving them more opportunities to continue the inter-director slapfight would have helped.