Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They've been making minis for like 30 years now right, probably still have quite a stockpile of designs to port over to bones medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would guess they've ported less than 10% of their molds to Bones. Keep in mind that a lot of the Bones we've gotten so far are new sculpts, and that the (massive) library of minis on their website only represents what they have in production right now, not the entire stock of molds they own.

e. But they should not try to port all of their molds to Bones, because a ton of that back stock are garbage sculpts from 1983 etc. that have been long since obsoleted by newer better sculpts. I would guess that they have a goal of another few hundred of their old sculpts moved to Bones, maximum, but will also expand their line with new sculpts. I believe the long-term goal was also to bring their production process entirely in-house to Texas? Not sure if that's still the plan.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 13, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Leperflesh posted:

I believe the long-term goal was also to bring their production process entirely in-house to Texas? Not sure if that's still the plan.

They already have, the only reason the kickstarters use China is because their in house bonesium makers can't handle the volume required in the timeframe.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh okay, cool, makes sense.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I mean, I'm not the definitive source of all things Reaper, but I'm pretty sure I read that was the case, that they have one or two small bonesium machines (which continue to produce bones 1 & 2 stuff for retail), but nothing like the capacity of the Chinese factories when it comes to mass producing shipping crates full of plastic for thirsty nerds

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My understanding is that Reaper has always made their miniatures in-house in Texas. The original purpose of the Bones Kickstarter was to get them enough capital to pay for the initial molds and casting equipment to bring plastic production in-house as well. With the huge volume they get in backers, they decided to once the molds were cut in China they would have those factories make the initial high-volume runs, and then ship everything out to them and they make the regular production runs that are much more modest. They basically repeat that with each one, using the funds to get a bunch of molds cut and run the backer's stock, and then making subsequent product at their factory with their new equipment.

Their website says their production can scale up to 20,000 miniatures a day, but I have no idea how many figures were needed for a kickstarter fulfillment. It looks like there were around 10,000 people ordering the core set, which has 258 models. So that would be something like 4 months just to produce the core sets that were ordered, but that's only $1m of the $2.7m pledged.

Also, I doubt that they can actually meet that full capacity in Bonesium, that's probably their overall production rate for all kinds of miniatures.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
They already announced Bones IV at ReaperCon back in September. I have a few pictures of sculpts for it here and even more here. One of the big ones is going to be Baba Yaga's hut. Also with bonus Factory Cat.

As for in-house production...

They're working hard on getting the expertise and equipment to do their Bones casting in-house. However, when I was there in September, their plastic-injection machines were mostly being used to make bases. They're working on getting molds back in-hand to do Bones in-house, but they're still a ways away from doing any serious Bones-making in Texas. They're definitely working on it, though.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Ashcans posted:

My understanding is that Reaper has always made their miniatures in-house in Texas. The original purpose of the Bones Kickstarter was to get them enough capital to pay for the initial molds and casting equipment to bring plastic production in-house as well. With the huge volume they get in backers, they decided to once the molds were cut in China they would have those factories make the initial high-volume runs, and then ship everything out to them and they make the regular production runs that are much more modest. They basically repeat that with each one, using the funds to get a bunch of molds cut and run the backer's stock, and then making subsequent product at their factory with their new equipment.

Their website says their production can scale up to 20,000 miniatures a day, but I have no idea how many figures were needed for a kickstarter fulfillment. It looks like there were around 10,000 people ordering the core set, which has 258 models. So that would be something like 4 months just to produce the core sets that were ordered, but that's only $1m of the $2.7m pledged.

Also, I doubt that they can actually meet that full capacity in Bonesium, that's probably their overall production rate for all kinds of miniatures.

Theyve also said that over 40% of total pledge value arrives in the pledge manager so total value is probably closer to 4.3 million

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

In an effort to enhance my current Blood Bowl league experience I decided to grab some BONES, to represent my coach and crew.
I got them today, and I'm blown away by the quality. it took me over 20 years to finally deviate from GW products, and by the gods, I've never been happier!
Bones rocks!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's happening!

Fun fact: I flew that US flag in the background over Afghanistan.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It's like Costco, but only for miniatures.

JackMann posted:

It's happening!

Fun fact: I flew that US flag in the background over Afghanistan.

I think that needs an explanation. Did you donate it to them? Did they capture it in a lightning raid? What gives?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

We always had a flag with us when we ranged North beyond the wall. Always wondered where they ended up. Now I know they are flying at miniature manufacturers

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I fly on a jamming plane. Sometimes we take a flag with us. I've flown flags for family, friends, and people I know. I gave one to ReaperBryan, and they hung it up there.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

JackMann posted:

I fly on a jamming plane. Sometimes we take a flag with us. I've flown flags for family, friends, and people I know. I gave one to ReaperBryan, and they hung it up there.

We did that but on convoys, hence the north of the wall statement. Was stationed in Kuwait and did convoys into Iraq. Did you do Prowlers (love) or Growlers? Or the weird AF one?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Weird Air Force one, good ol' Compass Call. Funnily enough, I'm in Kuwait right now. Should have my Bones waiting for me when I get home.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I'm supposed to be wave 3, but I just got a shipping notice. My label has been created apparently. This may happen much sooner than I expected.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's pretty cool. I'm wave 1, but honestly idfc what order these things go out, I think it's all going to happen so fast there won't be a very appreciable difference so WHATEVA JUST SHIP DEM BONESSSSS v:shobon:v

e: Your order seems fairly reasonable, I bet that's weighing in this time around, even if they're not publicly saying so. Like, I would expect people who JUST got a core set to go out pretty much day one.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 19, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

People who got less should really go out faster just from a logistical standpoint - even worked down the list in waves, a wave 1 order with a hundred pieces is just going to take longer than pulling a bunch of cores, and there's no point in having everyone wait for that wave 1 to get filled to do anything else.

I'm in Wave 8, and ordered somewhat less than IB did - nothing yet, I guess I'll post to brag for informational purposes whenever I get a notice.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah I would expect they have a team doing "just core sets" and a team doing "core sets plus a little bit" and then they have the sad team that is "people that ordered tons of extra poo poo at random and will need to be carefully sorted through, possibly taking a solid part of an hour just to put together and verify," and they're all going in parallel for maximum efficiency.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For future kickstarters, it may be worth considering buying up the maximum number of core sets (10 in the latest ks) to resell, if nothing else to subsidize your personal purchases. People are perfectly willing to pay 200 dollars for the 100 dollar core set, and possibly 110 for the 50 dollar stoneskull expansion(I've had fair amount of interest but no purchases yet). It's how I've continued to buy whatever I personally want from these kickstarters without spending huge amounts of personal cash.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The downside is 1) waiting for the Kickstarter to deliver to get return on your investment, and 2) having to store them until you've sold 'em. You're fairly well set up to deal with that, since you buy and sell stuff on the regular. But people who've never done it before might end up biting off more than they can chew if they're not careful.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You're also tying up that cash for like two years. Opportunity cost is a real thing you should account for when making investments.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Leperflesh posted:

You're also tying up that cash for like two years. Opportunity cost is a real thing you should account for when making investments.
Oh for sure. But as someone who's been doing this for three kickstarters now and have already presold 3 of 9 Bones 3 core sets for 200 shipped each, Reaper Bones KSes are one of the safest miniatures-based investments you can make if you want to offset the cost of your own purchases and can spare the cash up front. In the end you'll either cover the cost of all your personal purchases entirely if not make a good bit extra. Close to doubling an investment outright in a two year period is not bad at all.

Also, the core sets actually aren't that big. Due to the durability of Bonesium, they just cram the Core Set box full of minis with no padding whatsoever, the boxes are about about 12x12x2.5 inches.

edit: also a great part about that is that you don't even need to package the Bones box up. Just encase it in tape with the label on it and send it on its way, the figures will survive. I've shipped over 30 different Bones boxed sets in the last few months this way and not a single one wound up with damaged minis, just dinged boxes, which the tape easily held intact. Just make sure to let your customers know that first. :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pretty sure the shipping is too stupid high for that to ever work here

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Invictus, do you check the core sets to validate that 100% of the correct minis are there? If not, what do your customers do if their set is missing anything? I assume they can't go back to Reaper for a replacement...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Since I sell them sealed, I don't check them. Had an issue once and he said he was able to get a replacement from Reaper, so it seems they actually do honor it(probably if you show them a picture of the box and the minis dumped out and are like "I'm missing this one figure")

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's very, very cool of Reaper, given you're basically undercutting their post-kickstarter retail channel.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I feel bad for ReaperBryan and Ladystorm (their web person). There's apparently some stuff they don't have permission to talk about yet regarding the shipping (in particular, why the Canadian backers are getting notices now while US backers aren't). Even when they do have information, they can't win. If they're not posting anything, they're failing to communicate with backers. If they do post things, then why aren't they shipping out packages?

I'd like to know what's going on with shipping, but I think the folks who can authorize those disclosures (the Pughs) are probably busy enough that it's the last thing on their minds.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Double posting to update you guys on the latest from the Bones rigidity thread.

quote:

Doug Sendseth said:

Dropped a CAV Tsuiseki (72242, looks like it was designed after an A-10) in IPA last night. The untreated Tsuiseki has very floppy wings and vertical stabilizers and is now quite a bit more rigid. No problems in painting so far (finished the Hordeling set a couple of days ago).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So it's making it stiffer...I wonder if that's coming with a commensurate increase in brittleness, it'd be super unfortunate if stiffening swords and such this way meant they were now able to be broken off.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I always saw the flexibility as an improvement to durability. Its not like its going to bend unless you jam it into an inappropriately sized box.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
It'll be interesting to see if the rigidity makes it more brittle or not. It might be something you can trade off. Leave it in for a certain amount of time to make them a little less likely to go floppy, but not so stiff they break off.

Also, they've released some info. Looks like their shipping partner requested they send all of the Canadian packages off at once, which is why Canadian backers were getting shipping notices but Americans weren't. Now they're shipping out the American packages, and they have a tracker here.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I definitely don't want to lose the durability of Bones, a big lure for me is the ability to dump a bunch of these guys into a box and not have to worry about swords snapping and stuff - or to let my kids wrangle them without the same concern. I would expect that any stiffening is going to come with increased brittleness because I think that is how it works in general for materials) so its mostly a question of how much force it takes to break stiffened bones.

On the other hand I am sure that there are people who fall into a different camp and want the stiffness without worrying about the durability quite so much, and this would be a good thing for them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

What I'm saying is I want my Bones here in Aus and I want them now

e:

quote:

Pacific-Zone (Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands) orders are likewise loaded on a container, although this has not been picked up by the carrier yet (it is scheduled for pickup tomorrow). You will receive tracking from the Australian facility when they apply postage, we will keep you updated with the container progress as we can.

:negative:

Americans are going to get theirs months before we get ours, and we're the ones who 'subsidised' their free shipping, gently caress that noise.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 23, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yep, I've been loving ripped off. $179 in shipping is what my $476 worth of Bones cost me, and now instead of airmail they think it's perfectly fine to stick it in another boat, for another month across the ocean, at a greatly reduced price, and then pocket the difference while saying it reduced import duty and tax (that doesn't exist). gently caress Reaper, this sort of shady bullshit isn't on.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That arrangement seemed fine to me when I thought that it was saving you import costs, but if its not actually saving you anything in that form then yea it seems pretty bad to hit you with a big shipping fee that you don't actually get the benefit of.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Maybe if they actually charged Americans $10 each for shipping instead of using the ROW backers to pay for all of the shipping then they wouldn't need to rip us off so outrageously

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

NTRabbit posted:

while saying it reduced import duty and tax (that doesn't exist).

Whereabouts are you? Because last year, that was the problem, a lot of people got hit with import...stuff, and got dinged by customs. I don't think they're trying to actually rip you off or do anything shady, but there may be some case that didn't work out as intended. Have you contacted them about it?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Maybe if they actually charged Americans $10 each for shipping instead of using the ROW backers to pay for all of the shipping then they wouldn't need to rip us off so outrageously
Bulk shipping within the US is actually way less than 10 dollars per person. The reason they don't bother charging US backers extra is probably because the processing fees and the man hours to set it up would be more than the shipping fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In related news, I got my shipping notice this morning (Wave 1, United States as funded by tragic 3rd-world backers), getting pretty excited to not paint yet another giant pile of plastic fantasy mans!

• Locked thread