Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

pwn posted:

Was the LGBT bit part of the main segment?

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Someone probably spent $100 to mail that massive bag of seed.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

pentyne posted:

Someone probably spent $100 to mail that massive bag of seed.

Or whatever the cost of seed + Amazon Prime so like not that much...

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
:siren: Jet-ski :siren:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'd like to own a trillion dollar note. Seems cool.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Rand Paul: still full of poo poo.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Echo Chamber posted:

Rand Paul: always fill of poo poo.

ftfy

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'd like to own a trillion dollar note. Seems cool.
Someone on here in the SA-Mart was selling em' (along with the rest of the currency notes) a few years ago. I may of grabbed a set and might still have it hanging on my wall.

I'd wager it was someone else from here that sent that in.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Good, two weeks off. Maybe that'll give John time to make the show less stale than a week-old loaf of bread. We need more stuff like the televangelism main story (whose payoff was almost as good as the Colbert Super PAC) and less preachy editorials with some funny moments thrown in so that we don't give in to the urge to shoot ourselves- or, at the very least, the desire to watch something else.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Jamesman posted:

I am pleased that whenever LWT reaches out to the presidential/party candidates, Bernie Sanders is always on the list of people that responds and is always giving the right answers. Dude probably watches the show or something.

You go Bernie.

I'm honestly surprised Trump didn't respond in person as it seems the kind of thing he'd do.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I heard trump thought he should be getting paid to be interviewed by cnn or to go to debates. Probably not showing up on LWT.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Off for two weeks? You better record a new episode of The Bugle, you rat-faced bastard!!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

IRQ posted:

It's easy to say that when you only see megachurches and televangelists scamming people. Actual churches that try to practice what they preach often are doing a lot of good running food banks etc. I say this as a life-long atheist fwiw.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I work at a small homeless shelter on the weekends and we typically get huge religious groups making sandwiches, pizzas, pasta, etc every Saturday. Even as an agnostic atheist, I certainly can appreciate how many organized religious groups are actually able to come together an impact tons of people's lives. And they're typically people who don't brag about it either, which is why you only hear from the worst of all religious communities, the douchey ones asking you to pay for their second jet. They're not representative at all, they're just loud.

I've met so many chill moderate muslims, christians, hindus, etc on weekends and our residents are pretty grateful for them as well. Our shelter probably wouldn't even have survived without the countless donations of food and money poured in from churches/temples/small businesses. :shrug:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Timett posted:

I heard trump thought he should be getting paid to be interviewed by cnn or to go to debates. Probably not showing up on LWT.

Trump for all his faults knows the internet and what kind of impact Oliver has. He more then likely wants a full 20 minutes.

Also he better do the bugle

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Or maybe Trump is smart enough to know that if he wants to be taken seriously as a candidate, he needs to avoid doing interviews on "comedy" shows.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Irish Joe posted:

Or maybe Trump is smart enough to know that if he wants to be taken seriously as a candidate, he needs to avoid doing interviews on "comedy" shows.
Because everyone who went on the Daily Show was written off as unserious.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

JT Jag posted:

If you're a fan of the Daily Show, you're obviously smart enough to know the difference in how the public perceives a career politician like Ted Cruz and an entertainer like Donald Trump, and the accompanying need for Trump to go to greater lengths than the other contenders to establish his credibility as a serious candidate.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

JT Jag posted:

Bernie Sanders, Obama, both Clintons, McCain, Rumsfeld, etc were all established politicians before going on the Daily Show. Nobody's going to take them lightly, and they'll easily become more appealing in a more casual environment. Donald Trump was just some rear end in a top hat hosting The Apprentice, someone who's done really nothing but make racist and misogynistic comments and actions his entire career. No democrat takes him seriously already, and if he went on LWT, he'd just be skewered. It makes no sense for him to even consider going on comedy shows of this type, which are typically filled with more liberal viewers.

If he doesn't want to look like a complete fool, avoiding comedy shows is his best option. :shrug:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

Good, two weeks off. Maybe that'll give John time to make the show less stale than a week-old loaf of bread. We need more stuff like the televangelism main story.

"This show is so stale. They need go back to the days like literally one week ago when it was fresh"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ravane posted:

Bernie Sanders, Obama, both Clintons, McCain, Rumsfeld, etc were all established politicians before going on the Daily Show. Nobody's going to take them lightly, and they'll easily become more appealing in a more casual environment. Donald Trump was just some rear end in a top hat hosting The Apprentice, someone who's done really nothing but make racist and misogynistic comments and actions his entire career. No democrat takes him seriously already, and if he went on LWT, he'd just be skewered. It makes no sense for him to even consider going on comedy shows of this type, which are typically filled with more liberal viewers.

If he doesn't want to look like a complete fool, avoiding comedy shows is his best option. :shrug:

Funny how arguments actually make sense when they come from someone other than Irish Joe.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

MizPiz posted:

Funny how arguments actually make sense when they come from someone other than Irish Joe.

Whats it like to care so much about forum politics you actually can't understand that people you dont like for whatever reason can have knowledge that you don't?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who exists anyway, so it's not like it matters. You're all just a bunch of philosophical zombies!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently if you mail them money you get this in return.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

John Oliver's lack of perspective disturbs me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a37484/john-oliver-cited-guam-decision/

quote:

You can now legitimately call John Oliver a popular political critic—that's because a real-life, Ninth Circuit judge is doing so, too. In her recent opinion on Paeste v. Guam​ (a class-action suit levied at Guam by its residents over a sketchy, arbitrary tax-refund program), Judge Marsha S. Berzon has cited ​Last Week Tonight​'s recent segment on U.S. territories. Oliver in March pointed out the disgusting hypocrisy behind a Supreme Court decision made more than 100 years ago (still unchanged) that has left U.S. territories without meaningful representation. Guam in particular, as noted by Oliver and Co., gives a quarter of its land and an eighth of its people to the U.S.; however, its residents still can't vote on certain monumental national issues (e.g. the commander-in-chief). In short, legally speaking, things can get muddy with Guam and the other territories because certain laws have not been updated.

Part of the judicial ruling in mention.

quote:

We do note, however, that the so-called "Insular Cases," which established a less-than-complete application of the Constitution in some U.S. territories, has been the subject of extensive judicial, academic, and popular criticism. See, e.g., Juan Torruella, The Insular Cases: The Establishment of a Regime of Political Apartheid, 77 Rev. Jur. U.P.R. 1 (2008); Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: U.S. Territories, Youtube (Mar. 8, 2015), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CesHr99ezWE

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

God bless the underpaid law clerks who actually write opinions. They got scammed into practicing law, but at least they can reference tv shows and call things pure applesauce.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Found out yesterday that LWT had a youtube page and then proceeded to watch all main segments published.

drat, this is a good show.

A question. Beside the main segment that gets uploaded on youtube, what other segments are there? In essence I'm asking whether it is a good idea to torrent the show or not.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Dante80 posted:

Found out yesterday that LWT had a youtube page and then proceeded to watch all main segments published.

drat, this is a good show.

A question. Beside the main segment that gets uploaded on youtube, what other segments are there? In essence I'm asking whether it is a good idea to torrent the show or not.

It's the best idea you could have, short of buying a subscription to HBO. :) Seriously, the episodes are well laid out and paced, plenty of punchy comedy between serious points.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I don't think I can get an HBO subscription here is Greece, so torrenting it is.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
I just got back from his first show in Sydney, Australia. That man knows his crowd, full of material about his shows he just did in Melbourne, including 10 minutes on Australia dipping our toe into Nazism two days ago before deciding it wasn't for us, so he's still drat fast without his writing team. Of course, poking fun at Melbourne went down solidly in Sydney. "Melbourne panicking about a Tram strike from 10am to 2pm ? That's not a strike, that's a long lunch"

He then continued poking fun at various bits of Australia, (he did "Casually Racist" "Wagga Sheep Herding" and "British Transportees", which is about the only parts he reused]. But he was using that as a leadup because the night before he had been taken to dinner at Sydney's Custom's House . He said that was Sydney's version of the Harold Holt Memorial Swimming Pool - something so insane that Australians just ignore it.

I had front row center seats, and he actually pulled out his phone to show me (in reality the six people in my general area, but it was facing me as well) an email his office has just sent him for his church : A parcel has arrived with a 3 foot tall, exquisitely carved timber penis with a card something like "and here is my seed". (Also, he has what seems to be an old approx 4-inch Samsung or iPhone if you care)

He walked off the stage, then walked back on and said "So, any questions" and did a fifteen minute question and answer session
- The church has taken several thousand dollars before he left, and it's now "worryingly more".
- All money goes to Médecins Sans Frontières, "or as they called it in America, Doctors without Borders." and a little sketch about the amount of donations MSF would have gotten if they kept the French name - "It's a round figure" - vs the English Translation vs Harrys Health Hamburger Shack."We'll have the middle one"
- Strangely, other countries can mail money to him, just not the four US states mentioned.
- His interview with John Howard as part of Gun Control in Australia almost ended at the first word - he said "G'Day" and John Howard threatened to end the interview there. He also said a flash of rage went across Howard's face at the "Whoop-de-loving-do" line, so he was in the room with him at the time - something I'd always wondered.
- John Howard has a "worryingly large amount" of Donald Bradman memorabilia in his office.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
Did anyone ask if he was going to spare some time to record a loving Bugle?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Thurm posted:

Did anyone ask if he was going to spare some time to record a loving Bugle?
Much as I love The Bugle, I think John may have outgrown it in the sense that he's now too famous and busy for it. Might as well just get used to Satirist For Hire: The Podcast (which I'm personally not against in the least).

VV That seems to be true, yeah. And it's a shame.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 30, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Woebin posted:

Much as I love The Bugle, I think John may have outgrown it in the sense that he's now too famous and busy for it. Might as well just get used to Satirist For Hire: The Podcast (which I'm personally not against in the least).

Except none of those are going up now either.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Zaltsman on his own is a little too much for me. I prefer him having someone to balance his output if for not other reason than to curb the length of his insane metaphors.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's probably blasphemy but I absolutely could not stand Andy. I realize John liked having him to play off of but ..

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Martytoof posted:

It's probably blasphemy but I absolutely could not stand Andy. I realize John liked having him to play off of but ..

You're not alone. i skip it when it's just Andy. I like him fine when they are both together, but Andy alone just grates on me.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACwenVzN2oU

web exclusive for the week

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I want that loving book.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I want that loving book.

I'm hoping we are getting inception'ed with a lie within a lie within a lie within a lie or however many you need to get it so that the book actually comes out next year. Daily Show had a book, Colbert had book, then they had multiple books, no reason why this can't be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I want that loving book.

I was picturing it, complete with illustrations, then John crushed my dreams.

• Locked thread