Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Perhaps it's just my bad "luck" due to lack of prayer to RNGesus, but I am consistently getting terrible results from crafting / regrading over the last week or so. I've tried regrading the same blue hat 8 times with no results, and have created 8 pieces of lvl 44 leather, with nothing going above green and nothing upgradeable to 50. This is noticeable change, as I always got at least some blue or purple gear, and at least some typhoon.

I know I'm probably the poor bastard that caught the raw deal per statistics, but what are the chances that worsening the odds for upgrades/regrades is Trion's response to the Apex exploits? Is that something they have control over, or would it be only XL Games who can modify that?

Edit: More anecdotal evidence, but I am on for quite a bit each night, and haven't seen a single server message announcing a high-level regrade success in at least the last week either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatersyum
Feb 12, 2006

Bait and Swatch posted:

Edit: More anecdotal evidence, but I am on for quite a bit each night, and haven't seen a single server message announcing a high-level regrade success in at least the last week either.

Combination of dead game and fixing the rng box exploits so sunpoints/moonpoints are insanely expensive thus less people are doing those regrades.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

DancingShade posted:

I can't imagine any functional business not taking advantage of Xmas hype to make extra money.

I suppose the key word is "functional".

Man, they didn't even bring over the full Halloween event and shoved those costumes into RNG boxes. You want them to ruin Christmas, too???

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Schubalts posted:

Man, they didn't even bring over the full Halloween event and shoved those costumes into RNG boxes. You want them to ruin Christmas, too???

It's Trion Worlds. I think we can just assume that as a given. I just want to see the reactions :munch:

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Since the game is dead i wonder how long until kewpuh gasses this thread.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Tempus Thales posted:

Since the game is dead i wonder how long until kewpuh gasses this thread.

When it dies completely I'll be closing it even if he doesn't gas it. People apparently want to talk about actually playing the game according to the last feedback thread so :shrug:

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009
It's interesting to have a completely opposite attitude to this game, not sure if it's due to being busy otherwise, having gotten in on the land rush, or being relatively happy with the FarmVille gameplay for landowners... Also don't really understand what motivates people to make post after post: QQ game is dead QQ.

As an example of a slightly happier experience, for some reason on my server the populace decided to plant bleeding tons of trees. Tons. West side, in White Arden, east side in Falcorth Plains. As you might imagine the Falcorth plantings we relatively quickly devoured by passersby, but the White Arden plantings were stashed up on a plateau.

Being an Easterner, I managed to get the location of the West Grand Orchard, and paid them a visit.

It was an amazing sight, swooping in via glider, a wall of many-colored leaves of so many different types all up the side of the mountain... Not even that much value in logs, but oh, what a potential harvest of sobs! I plopped down in the center of it, immediately having vision and camera issues with the confusing wall of leaves and densely packed trunks, like Scrooge blinded by the splashing wealth of his coins as he dives, and set to work.

Chop chop
Chop chop
Chop chop chop

The Harvest happily coincided with the recent bemusing gift of downtime loot, a whole pile of 500 point labor pots with no cooldown. The Westies conveniently sorted their fields of gold into fruity categories, which made focusing my attention a joy; it was something like 145 slaughtered fig trees later and working on the olives before anyone even showed up, as I play on off hours... My visitor stared at me aghast for a good minute before attempting to engage.

Unfortunately I am that turd in the tulips of classes, a tomb warden in full plate, useless for most things, often beat down and generally bad at pvp anyway, though comfortable with that. In this case fortune smiled on my idiot self however, as the orchard defender was some flavor of arrow-shooty and also not very good. So I healed, and ran around like a gerbil, and stood there with my invincible on randomly, occasionally running up and yelling things that made her health go down or smacking her with my shield, and eventually she died. I rolled her body down the hill and resumed the choppening.

Of course I was eventually axed down by some guy, but not before clearing some 2546 logs and whole categories of beloved, gently tended fruit trees. It was a great time overall, and visually exciting. All doubtless bad play by bads, but uh... Fun. Nor am I particularly fussed by some death of mmo... I'm sure some server, or even this same server I'm on, will be open long enough for me to plant pretty flowers and troll arrow-shooters for a while. DragonRealms is still open for gods sake, a game without any graphics and huge fees.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

I took a break to play Dragon Age Inquisition, had a hard time getting back into AA and now I'm playing Wasteland 2...

Managing to log in each day to burn some labor and make sure my property stays my own and slowly doing Hasla grind for a T1 bow so I can switch classes but Hasla is hard when you can only feign interest.

Still hoping I can reignite my interest in the game though. Think I just need a class change, but changing classes means changing gear and uggghghghh.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Arcade posted:

Still hoping I can reignite my interest in the game though. Think I just need a class change, but changing classes means changing gear and uggghghghh.
Why not just level up an alt in the opposite faction? That way you can have a new class and experience a new story with appropriate quest gear for the class.

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009
I and a friend have just been playing FarmVille, completed an initial successful land grab and are acquiring more as the market opens up with all the negative nancies fleeing the server. Currently at a reasonable plot of dirt and some aqua farms, no problems tax wise. Working on alchemy at the moment, and had a moment of eye popping awe at the freaking trippy lotus bundles today. Shrooms and lotus bundles around our witch house.

At some indeterminate point when the resulting $$ reaches critical mass we will gear up and go looking for more trouble maybe... But regardless just doodling around, making random voyages to yell things at Westies, borking about in trade chat, or pushing bots off cliffs is all entertaining and low pressure after work. Who cares is the prevailing theme.

Vespsianus
Nov 29, 2014

Even Gramps is better at internet wizardry than you whippersnappers this shitlord.

:gitgud:
The labor regen rate will be the thing that finally drives me out. All I do is farm, trade and fish and the labor system means I'm limited to 2-3 hours of useful play per day. That's not enough for me for a pay game.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Vespsianus posted:

I'm limited to 2-3 hours of useful play per day. That's not enough

:cripes:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Vespsianus posted:

The labor regen rate will be the thing that finally drives me out. All I do is farm, trade and fish and the labor system means I'm limited to 2-3 hours of useful play per day. That's not enough for me for a pay game.

60 - 90 hours a month for $15. Highway robbery.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

jabro posted:

60 - 90 hours a month for $15. Highway robbery.

I can't think of any other game that limits you once you bother to actually subscribe. gently caress, most don't even if you don't so it might be a principles thing. Also a bit of a cheap move.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Morglon posted:

I can't think of any other game that limits you once you bother to actually subscribe.

Just about all do? Raids can only be completed once per week for loot, for example?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Morglon posted:

I can't think of any other game that limits you once you bother to actually subscribe. gently caress, most don't even if you don't so it might be a principles thing. Also a bit of a cheap move.

Honestly it's the microtransaction mobile game style of taking your money on a free game. When this thing is finally in it's last days, they're going to take the 12h cooldown off of labor pots and just loving smash wallets until the servers die.

It's also like Kingdom of Loathing, which I haven't played in years but was a cool browser game. You did have lots of avenues for booze and food to increase your 'turns' per day, and you could really play for hours if you knew what you were doing, but since this was pre-microtransation the cash shop stuff was optional cool in-game boost items that didn't really result in extra turns.

It occurs to me that microtransaction is like the fancy bullshit term for nickle and diming you to death.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Truga posted:

Just about all do? Raids can only be completed once per week for loot, for example?

Raids, sure, but crafting? Gathering?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, imposing limits people's time is dumb, just saying that pretty much all games try to do it in some way.

Incidentally, crafting is a part of the "end-game" in AA as far as I know? I don't play it, but I was interested in it until 1.0 dropped in Korea, so I could be totally wrong here, and if so, yeah, it's even dumber.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

I think this sums AA equipment crafting up.

Now add waiting for Labor Points to recover for each crafted item, or using cash shop LP potions. LP recovers at 5/5 minutes online for free accounts, no recovery when offline, with a 2000 point max. Subscribers get 10/5 minutes online, 5/5 minutes offline, with a 5000 point max. Crafting gear can take hundreds of LP per item when you hit higher item ranks. For example, "Sealed Delphinad" heavy armor costs 800 LP per piece.

Crafting/gathering is a big part of the endgame. Gathering is especially important, because trade packs, ships, houses, and castles all need gathered or farmed materials.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Also keep in mind that despite what's usually listed on the auction house, rarely did I ever sell my off-spec armour I crafted for the cost of materials, nevermind the labour the cost that went into them.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
By the way Bukowski, people are now essentially able to charge for labor. (E.g. by trading 100 lumber for 400 logs or whatever.) You got your wish!

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
How dare games try to limit the amount of progression someone can do with their time. Don't people complain about pay-to-win all the time? Time is another payment method and until someone comes up with a system that keeps everyone on completely even footing the whole time then it will be an imperfect system.

I like the systems that get developed to try to curve the progression rate since I'm weird and find the economic effects interesting. I don't have any issue with these systems, in concept, since when you do things in life it is unlikely that you are the strongest, smartest, fastest, etc. at whatever you're doing.

We however complain about anything in life that puts us on uneven footing so we try to make up with it in better "gear", Shoes, computer, etc, that in turn don't actually make us any measurably different. If you don't want to be on a pseudo-level playing field then maybe mmo's aren't your cup of tea.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

himurak posted:

How dare games try to limit the amount of progression someone can do with their time. Don't people complain about pay-to-win all the time? Time is another payment method and until someone comes up with a system that keeps everyone on completely even footing the whole time then it will be an imperfect system.

I like the systems that get developed to try to curve the progression rate since I'm weird and find the economic effects interesting. I don't have any issue with these systems, in concept, since when you do things in life it is unlikely that you are the strongest, smartest, fastest, etc. at whatever you're doing.

We however complain about anything in life that puts us on uneven footing so we try to make up with it in better "gear", Shoes, computer, etc, that in turn don't actually make us any measurably different. If you don't want to be on a pseudo-level playing field then maybe mmo's aren't your cup of tea.

I know you are a passive aggressive nerd but can you ever make a post that isn't lovely and passive aggressive

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

himurak posted:

This part made me giggle.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

himurak posted:

when you do things in life it is unlikely that you are the strongest, smartest, fastest, etc. at whatever you're doing.

Most of the entire point of video games is to transcend real life experiences and in that space balanced games can be created.

You're just yet another person who has the time/will to invest way too much into a video game and as a result enjoy a position of power within it. People will always favor the system providing them with the most power or advantage.

MMOs are designed from the ground up to not be balanced as it's the core business model the game relies on.

himurak posted:

then maybe mmo's aren't your cup of tea.

or maybe the genre doesn't cater enough to different types of players

"If you don't like X, just don't play it" is the most hackneyed and dumb argument I've seen to defend the gaping flaws that crop up in every MMO ever made. It's not like we're talking about a few games that meet a niche, it's every single one doing the same thing. MOBAs are pretty dumb but I've been playing them lately because you can log on and instantly be in a balanced match. Until MMOs can do the same thing they should be on the back burner for most people. It's been proven well at this point lateral progression can be monetized successfully but no MMO has the balls to do it.

Remember it took an independent map maker for Starcraft creating Aeon of Strife for the battle arena genre to even gain traction. Even the most indie of MMOs feature linear progression steeper than most AAA MMOs at this point.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 12, 2014

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Extra posted:

MOBAs are pretty dumb but I've been playing them lately because you can log on and instantly be in a balanced match.

My smurf account says otherwise.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Balanced in terms of numbers.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 12, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
XxXSeperipothXxX left the game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think the thread is finally dead

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Eye of Widesauron posted:

It had potential but it's been squandered. If you do play it just have fun and don't get too invested.

still cant believe an MMO could collapse so quickly

i thought MMOs were famous for being bloated but stable

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
If you think the game and thread are dead, maybe it's time to move on? "D e a d g a m e" is as boring here as it is on faction chat.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Labor points are a good way to encourage specialization without forcing you to pick a profession and not change it. Specialization leads to more trade among crafters which makes for a more robust and interesting economic system.

One downside of AA's implementation is offline generates fewer labor points than online, thus giving a comparative advantage to people who can leave their computers on and logged in all day. But the idea of labor points in general is a good one.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nelson posted:

Labor points are a good way to encourage specialization without forcing you to pick a profession and not change it. Specialization leads to more trade among crafters which makes for a more robust and interesting economic system.

One downside of AA's implementation is offline generates fewer labor points than online, thus giving a comparative advantage to people who can leave their computers on and logged in all day. But the idea of labor points in general is a good one.

No thanks.

Oh, meant to quote Finn but I'm not changing that poo poo out

eonwe fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 12, 2014

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Should I make a catman or a generic human?

I leave it in your hands, goons.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
I'm not sure the correct response to this inquiry.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Make a catman called Katmandu. You'll be the funniest person on the internet.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Kevlar Beard posted:

"Never look back, go for the dreams that you have, the choice is right in your hands, so who do you want to be? Say it out loud, you know that the time is right now to show what your all about, so come on break free! Anything you got in mind, is right here waiting, YOU DECIDE! Its your world! You can do whatever you want to do, however you want to! Nothings impossible! Its your world! You get to make your own rules! However you want to! Now your unstoppable!"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kevlar Beard posted:

If you want to have a chill time with the remaining chill goons in goonsquad vaior, then make an elf or a nuian on the Aranzeb server. We'd love to have some newbies. There are usually 15-20 of us on at any time, so you won't get lost in a huge zerg guild.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
There are also goons in Wicked.

I'm in a family (sort of a miniguild) with goons in both guilds. We may be breaking rules of some sort but who cares, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eonwe posted:

I think the thread is finally dead

Okay, I'll tell a story about idiots in archeage. (It's me, I'm the idiot.)

I see an ad for a thatched and several connected farms in Sanddeep (florida). Never thought I'd be able to get a good plot of continuous land, I was drat lucky to get a farm next to a thatched in windscour. So I sell my 500 gilda and some of my furniture to come up with the money, and contact the guy. Woo still available.

I get to sanddeep and find the guy. He points to some things. Runs around a bit. I make some inane comments. Why isn't this guy talking? Is he roleplaying a mute? Is he just jerking my chain? :confused: He sits down. Stands up and runs to his mailbox. Sits down again. WTF?

I'd blocked him. Misclicked when I went to whisper, and blocked him. I am an idiot. Aaaaand he's a Minti alt, so goons know I'm an idiot. Great.

Finish the deal, and he has another plot nearby I could have, but I'd need to supply my own plan. Okay, that will take a couple days. Pass on my windscour property to a couple Something Lawful goons. Get an alt through TR4, get everything ready and contact the guy. Dude makes sure I know how to place land, yep, I assure him I do. Farm comes down. Click click click OH gently caress IT ISN"T WORKING. Dude starts freaking out. I realize I am four (4) tax certs short to place the farm. Oh gently caress. Run over to my door and craft another 5 tax certs quick. Run. Run. Run. Run back, place the farm. Whew. Didn't lose it. Heart pounding, palms sweaty, but I did it.

TL;DR: Minti thinks I'm an idiot. And he's right.

• Locked thread