Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

LeJackal posted:

Its one of the many regional accents you'll hear in the USA. It is of the Southern geographical region, Center-East variant. In Vernacular, Rural. Elocution; Moderate. Pitch and Timbre: Endearingly Masculine :kimchi:
His cousin Muncie displays a similar accent, with slightly higher Elocution and pitch as typical in the south, this is a cultural bias.
Darnell shares similar vernacular but a higher degree of elocution, and this is potentially because of either some level of formal education in mechanics or simply a bleed-over of his meticulousness involving machines.

There's the specific clipped way he talks (same as Dewey Cox) and I'm wondering if it's a regional quirk or based on some old actor or something

But yeah endearing as hell :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention all the trailers before Your Name, too. Pretty much all standard western animation fare; Leap, Despicable M3, Captain Underpants (first time seeing that one) and LEGO Ninjago... but special mention goes to the overly bombastic teaser trailer for My Little Pony: The Move, which will probably be okay (I mean, I thought the show was alright enough), but whose inclusion before Your Name struck me as remarkably misaimed advertising.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Hog posted:

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention all the trailers before Your Name, too. Pretty much all standard western animation fare; Leap, Despicable M3, Captain Underpants (first time seeing that one) and LEGO Ninjago... but special mention goes to the overly bombastic teaser trailer for My Little Pony: The Move, which will probably be okay (I mean, I thought the show was alright enough), but whose inclusion before Your Name struck me as remarkably misaimed advertising.

Is it really for a younger demographic than DM3?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

e: gently caress, wrong thread

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shadow Hog posted:

I saw the trailer to the Ninjago thing, and was pretty surprised by how fun, slightly adult, saturday-morning-cartoon it looked. Trailer looked nice.

For whatever reason, I just can't get excited about Leap. The trailer does nothing.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ninjago looks ok but I really hope they don't drive this Lego thing into the ground now :/

Pretty much the only Lego movie I need now is Lego Star Wars and then they can be done pls

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My theatre showed trailers for Raphael - Lord of the Arts and other fun highbrow doodads.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ninjago is almost certainly gonna be good, going by the last two Lego movies. I mean, at least one of the other attendees in the theater clearly thought otherwise, given she was asking why they're making Lego movies, but screw that, I'll take silly Lego movies like the last two any day.

Leap... eh, yeah, something about it seems kind of off to me, like the delivery of "tonight... was a good performance" (or how the Statue of Liberty is in Paris being built green, when it should be shining copper at this point in time - the green is oxidation, argh). I dunno. At least they got Mel Brooks? As if that'd save the film. (I mean, he's apparently the guy screaming about his beauty sleep being interrupted by the kids, and did he really save the trailer?)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shadow Hog posted:

Ninjago is almost certainly gonna be good, going by the last two Lego movies. I mean, at least one of the other attendees in the theater clearly thought otherwise, given she was asking why they're making Lego movies, but screw that, I'll take silly Lego movies like the last two any day.

Leap... eh, yeah, something about it seems kind of off to me, like the delivery of "tonight... was a good performance" (or how the Statue of Liberty is in Paris being built green, when it should be shining copper at this point in time - the green is oxidation, argh). I dunno. At least they got Mel Brooks? As if that'd save the film. (I mean, he's apparently the guy screaming about his beauty sleep being interrupted by the kids, and did he really save the trailer?)

Mel Brooks has been in a few movies and has contributed gently caress all to them. His Hotel Transylvania scenes were awful.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The last thing we need is another loving star wars movie of any kind.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Hedrigall posted:

Ninjago looks ok but I really hope they don't drive this Lego thing into the ground now :/

Pretty much the only Lego movie I need now is Lego Star Wars and then they can be done pls

There's been Lego Star Wars shows for ages, just not a Lego Star Wars movie by the teams that made the last two movies great.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Captain Underpants looks like it'll be hilarious and it hits the exact tone the books had - cheeky, slightly subversive, and fun.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
There's something weird about watching an adult hang out with two boys in his underwear.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There seems to have been some kind of translation error, because I went to the movie I thought was Your Name, but instead of some kind of animated tour de force I was subjected to an aesthetically sterile, stupefyingly generic, superficial, tedious, predictable, boring piece of garbage?

I almost left halfway through, but I thought perhaps they would locate the correct reel (or digital file these days) that contained the good movie that people pranked me into expecting, or would experience the world's greatest twist or something to launch us into the realm of some kind of, perhaps, interesting film, but nope. Genuinely wish I'd walked out.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
So you went to see an anime

But instead they screened an anime

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hedrigall posted:

So you went to see an anime

But instead they screened an anime

I expected something in the realm of When Marie Was There, an actual good film, not think "You really should have gone to Boss Baby."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Things I would have preferred to see on screen than Your Name:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That's gross, pls delete

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Hedrigall posted:

That's gross, pls delete

you of all people shouldn't kink shame

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

Things I would have preferred to see on screen than Your Name:

I am really troubled that this is the second weirdly sexualized clip I've seen from Boss Baby.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I am really troubled that this is the second weirdly sexualized clip I've seen from Boss Baby.

Wait there's another one??

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait there's another one??

I think maybe the dog aggressively smelling the rear end of a kid in a dog suit as he whimpers made me realize I'm aware of too many things.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

:a2m:?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I've seen that gag a million times, but they just hit some weird balance in there that struck my repulse button.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Pick posted:

I expected something in the realm of When Marie Was There, an actual good film, not think "You really should have gone to Boss Baby."

Go watch A Silent Voice instead.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Das Boo posted:

I've seen that gag a million times, but they just hit some weird balance in there that struck my repulse button.

The weird balance is they're ostensibly six month old children.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

21 Muns posted:

Is it really for a younger demographic than DM3?

There's certainly less of a social stigma attached to watching a Despicable Me film. Not to mention the Minions being extremely popular with teenagers and young adults.

Then again, Your Name seems like the kind of release that solely attracts animation enthusiasts, so maybe they figured they'll show as many cartoon trailers as possible in the hope that someone will be interested.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Samuel Clemens posted:

Not to mention the Minions being extremely popular with teenagers and young adults.

:psyboom:

The only teenagers and young adults I've encountered who like the Minions are in, like, the top percentile of lameness and dorkiness. It's considerably less popular with teenagers and young adults than My Little Pony, which as you point out is extremely uncool. Minions are for children and middle-aged-to-old people. They occupy the same sector of the public imagination as Teletubbies.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Our circles of acquaintances must differ greatly, because I've met far too many 20-somethings who are way into anything Minions-related.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Shadow Hog posted:

It makes sense once you realize what most bronies were before MLP.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
My Dad unironically adores minions

and I kinda like them myself

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs-tu4fj4zA

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So we're doing the thing again where we do a crappy version of a bona fide classic and then have lovely Tom and Jerry in the background not affecting the plot at all.

E: Tim Burton can rest easy knowing he has no longer made the worst Wonka movie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

You can almost hear the quotation marks around "all-new, original movie".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fangz posted:

Go watch A Silent Voice instead.

This actually looks like something I might enjoy.

God drat, Your Name is terrible. I'm still mad and confused why people think that was a good film.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

This actually looks like something I might enjoy.

God drat, Your Name is terrible. I'm still mad and confused why people think that was a good film.

I see youve been burned by that guy too now. Dont waste your time, everything he does is the same.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

I see youve been burned by that guy too now. Dont waste your time, everything he does is the same.

I really liked the part where the two main characters finally meet after this intense ostensibly emotional chase (that makes no sense and doesn't help), she immediately calls him a "hentai" for touching her boobs every morning, and he goes "ugweeeh?" and is embarrassed for touching her boobs when he was her, every morning, in scenes that the audience had been routinely subjected to. That's a real sensitive and interesting film you've got there.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

There seems to have been some kind of translation error, because I went to the movie I thought was Your Name, but instead of some kind of animated tour de force I was subjected to an aesthetically sterile, stupefyingly generic, superficial, tedious, predictable, boring piece of garbage?

I almost left halfway through, but I thought perhaps they would locate the correct reel (or digital file these days) that contained the good movie that people pranked me into expecting, or would experience the world's greatest twist or something to launch us into the realm of some kind of, perhaps, interesting film, but nope. Genuinely wish I'd walked out.

This seems like an entirely predictable result of watching an anime movie to me. IMO anime is not on-topic for this thread, which is more about animation produced for art or for money as opposed to animation produced to get off. Even though I haven't watched Your Name myself, I'm glad someone here did who can provide an honest report on it to dispel the illusion that it's a Great Movie that's Not Like The Animes You're Thinking Of and Totally Watchable For The Articles and Please Ignore Those Boob Shots.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The one interesting part of the film is approximately 30 seconds of animation where they gussied up the completely rote art style with pastel, because it briefly transported me back to Princess Kaguya and I got about a minute of thinking, "Ahhh, now there was a film where the lead characters had personalities and the film itself was bold enough to have what I can only describe as... characteristics."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The quantity of money this "film" generated in Japan is, IMO, sufficient to justify a military intervention. (It was in excess of 300 million dollars. It was the highest-grossing thing at their box-office last year.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)