Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Voltaic bombs. You wouldn't steal a policeman's helmet. :allears:

Unity is going to be so sterile next to this isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alchenar posted:

The thing about Origins is that it drops the last vestiges of the uniqueness of AC gameplay to become Ubisoft-open-world-game:Egypt (gimmick, Dark Souls easy-mode combat).

That still makes it a good game, but there is a fundamental break with previous AC games that was really long overdue but makes it possible to consider Syndicate a better game for actually being an Assassin.

Origins really works as a game that came after Syndicate because I felt with the modern city and the grappling hook the "parkour" (used loosely) had reached its apex, so in Origins when climbing buildings ended up being such a small part of gameplay I really didn't miss it. And the total change-up for combat was long overdue.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You can't pickpocket in Syndicate outside of missions which specifically have it as an objective, can you?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You can but there's not much point.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Is there an AC game where pick-pocketing has a point?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I just like annoying NPCs. :shobon:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Alchenar posted:

In AC3 if you do a shitton of it it unlocks quests for the thieves guild

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Alchenar posted:

AC1 since it was one of the primary information missions for targets...and thats about it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

corn in the bible posted:

In AC3 if you do a shitton of it it unlocks quests for the thieves guild

A function which is not disclosed anywhere.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If memory serves brohood had some whale NPCs you could pickpocket for good money by early-game standards.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Pickpocketing in each AC2 game was only worth doing early on to pick up some extra cash and get the RNG wealthy person. It's also just worth doing because people get really angry about it then start shoving you around and bitching.

All in all a good feature.

Also, gently caress bards

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

A function which is not disclosed anywhere.

it is, it's listed among all the other lovely repetitive activities

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I was one of the monsters who actually unlocked every loving door in the underground sewers in the AC3 towns, and got nothing for it.

Anyway on to a better game:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/262253339 Skip to 2:20.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Bonking people on the head with a cane is weirdly satisfying.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lunethex posted:

Pickpocketing in each AC2 game was only worth doing early on to pick up some extra cash and get the RNG wealthy person. It's also just worth doing because people get really angry about it then start shoving you around and bitching.

Ezzio as a bard in Revelations rules

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Something went weird and I lost my rear end syndicate after a system update. :psyduck:

Time to give Unity a shot now, I guess!

E: what was the initiates programme?

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 18, 2018

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

A community website that went through several iterations. The first one was cool, the others... heh...

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

https://clips.twitch.tv/TalentedHelplessOrcaJebaited

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Lunethex posted:

I still hate the insane homeless people in the very first AC.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Vadoc posted:

I still hate the insane homeless people in the very first AC.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vadoc posted:

I hate the homeless

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Vadoc posted:

I still hate the homeless.

Anyway, I'm actually...enjoying Unity quite a lot? It's probably the jankiest triple A title I've ever played, and the story is kind of bleh at the moment (although having no real knowledge or particular interest in French history, compared to the Industrial revolution and so on, might have something to do with that), but the character customisation and various upgrade systems are really appealing to my lizard brain. The combat's pretty neat as well, bludgeoning everyone with a massive gently caress-off bastard sword.

I just want an AC game with these systems, a fully customisable protagonist, and a Brotherhood development/renovation mechanic that's built into the entire game. Give me coop multiplayer to gently caress about in and I'm happy. Every AC game has something I like and I just want them all on the same disc, dammit.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

MrJacobs posted:

AC1 since it was one of the primary information missions for targets...and thats about it.

It was also the primary way to resupply your throwing knives by pick pocketing the right npcs

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Did a couple of heists and got a five star katana. Weeaboo Arno is hysterical.

Getting itchy for Jacob though. Arno is so damned boring.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So after sequence 8,where the gently caress is my Saboteur remake, or 1940s rear end.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Arno also has fuckall to do with the French Revolution and doesn't seem to care at all about what's happening. He hangs out with Napoleon sometimes, I guess? It was stupid how Connor was involved in every single iconic moment of the revolution but at least he gave a poo poo

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

Arno also has fuckall to do with the French Revolution and doesn't seem to care at all about what's happening. He hangs out with Napoleon sometimes, I guess? It was stupid how Connor was involved in every single iconic moment of the revolution but at least he gave a poo poo

Not making Elise the main character was a crime. show off all the different factions trying to control mob rule ending with the reign of terror.

With Arno they didn't even have the balls to rip off Count of Monte Cristo correctly. The entire story to make Arno a good protagonist was right there and it's not like the Dumas Estate could object.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
The problem with AC Unity at large is that where every Assassin's Creed game is worked on by a dozen studios or so, that Unity was the first one to really FEEL like it was designed by committee.

Playing through it I felt like every feature, every decision felt like it was done in a board room by executives declaring what Must Be Done, rather than there being any sort of creative vision at play.

Arno is Exhibit A for this. He felt like someone drafted a memo that said they needed a protag who was like Ezio but not too much like Ezio. But he needs not to be edgy so they can make the game more acceptable to a widespread audience.

The end result is a watered down milquetoast protagonist who somehow manages to have less personality than many JRPG silent protags.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
This MP mission where you have to protect Napoleon, jesus loving hell crikey.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

macnbc posted:

The problem with AC Unity at large is that where every Assassin's Creed game is worked on by a dozen studios or so, that Unity was the first one to really FEEL like it was designed by committee.

Playing through it I felt like every feature, every decision felt like it was done in a board room by executives declaring what Must Be Done, rather than there being any sort of creative vision at play.

Arno is Exhibit A for this. He felt like someone drafted a memo that said they needed a protag who was like Ezio but not too much like Ezio. But he needs not to be edgy so they can make the game more acceptable to a widespread audience.

The end result is a watered down milquetoast protagonist who somehow manages to have less personality than many JRPG silent protags.

I strongly believe 3 also has these problems.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

I strongly believe 3 also has these problems.

I weep for whatever tiny 50-person ubisoft acquisition was told "ok you need to make a minigame about building and shipping folding chairs"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is 3 worth going back to, even for curiosity's sake?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

3 gets a bad rap but there's solid stuff under the layers of feature bloat.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
As a counterpoint, I found 3 so dreadfully boring that I gave up about 5 hours in. The only rear end Creed I didn’t finish.

One could argue that it was just series fatigue at that point, but it didn’t stand out to me at all and the loss of verticality hurt it, IMO.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

At least on a replay you know which poo poo you can skip. Like all of the homestead

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

At least on a replay you know which poo poo you can skip. Like all but the homestead
FTFY

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I liked 3, but I also love that time period, and I also live in one of the cities it takes place in so I could be biased

Here’s what to do to have fun with 3, imo:

-stay out of the tunnels. Not even once
-ignore optional challenges. They’re frustrating and they don’t matter
-do the homestead stuff, it’s the most interesting part
-ignore 99% of the trading mini game, nothing in it will make you more money than just selling furs

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
How do I stop getting these loving event notifications on the ps4.

I uninstalled the game months ago.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The boat stuff in AC3 is really fun and basically the reason we got Black Flag. Pretty sure I quit after the last naval mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

If you have to try out AC3 then play the expansions, they're bonkers in a good way.