Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

big lol at the concept of a forklift license

Holy poo poo really? Is that a US wide thing?

We also have separate licences for working on scissor lifts, for boom lifts and for using harnesses on roofs etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sticko posted:

Holy poo poo really? Is that a US wide thing?

We also have separate licences for working on scissor lifts, for boom lifts and for using harnesses on roofs etc.

No, the person you are replying to has no idea what they are talking about.

You need to be 18 and have training and certification to drive a fork truck for a business in the US. This is an OSHA regulation, so it applies to all states.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FAUXTON posted:

Update: it jumped to 100% vested, idk if they mean it or if there is a quarterly audit that's gonna back it out.

Triple check your contract, triple check that the amount marked for vesting hasn't changed. Treat it as gone for a year if you can afford to.

Then cash that fucker out.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm having a total gut check moment with my career. I'm 35, always been a high performer/high potential engineer, yada yada. Ever since I got out of college I've been gunning for promotions as hard as possible to make that money and get out of the rat race. My goal was to retire early at 40, kinda shifted to at least have FU money by 40. In early 2018 I was strongly recommended to take a promotion into a developmental role for a year and a half which would open me up to a bunch of opportunities. Well the opportunities are here and I have several options for an immediate promotion in the company. I took one on a trial basis to see if it was a good fit for both sides. One week in and I'm second guessing my whole life strategy.

The job I've been doing the last year and a half was a shift role with no outside-of-work responsibilities. I really really enjoyed the work, zero stress, great people, and the pay was very good. Any overtime I work is paid out in straight time hours. Like could probably still retire at 40 if I kept spending under control.

New role is in the day-shift organization supervising 4-7 engineers at a 24/7 production facility. The salary would be higher if I accepted full time but there's no over time pay, and it's clear that I won't be working only 40 hours/week. I was at work 54 hours this week, for example. Every day I wake up thinking about my new reports and what they have due and how are they going to have time to do it and what kind of quality can I expect from them and how are they going to get a hold of me if something happens at the plant while I'm in the backcountry this weekend. It's been stressful.

It's clear that staying on the fast track will pay out better over the next 5 years. I'd be in this job for 1.5-2 years before another promotion opportunity comes up and that next level is when the big bucks start coming in, $200-250k/yr. My plan was to get paid for a few years, continue saving, have $1.2-1.5MM leaving me with the option to downshift at 40 if I wanted. Now I'm thinking gently caress it I'll still have about $1MM by then if I keep my shift job and actually enjoy my life.

I think the biggest hurdle is feeling like I'll be disappointing a bunch of my coworkers who are above me who have been building my ego up by encouraging me, saying how excited they are for me to do this a few years then take that next step up to close to their level, etc. I'm a step ahead of a bunch of my peers and it feels good to be in "first" in the game of Life. That ego juice is really addicting.

But how often do you get a chance to do a job that you actually really like with low stress that pays well? I'm leaning toward down shifting and coasting for a while and reserving my free mental energy for myself and things I want to do outside of work. That's what I want to do anyway, just trying to figure out of it's what I should do.

Anyway, that's my rant. Feels good to write it all down for a bunch of internet strangers.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
No point in sitting on a big pile of dollar bills at 40 if you've get stress-related depression, a drinking problem and a gun in your hand.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So here's the thing you need to figure out: if you don't take this promo now have you put yourself in a position where you've burnt all of your goodwill at this company/with those coworkers? Because I've seen that happen before.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

spf3million posted:

I think the biggest hurdle is feeling like I'll be disappointing a bunch of my coworkers who are above me who have been building my ego up by encouraging me, saying how excited they are for me to do this a few years then take that next step up to close to their level, etc. I'm a step ahead of a bunch of my peers and it feels good to be in "first" in the game of Life. That ego juice is really addicting.
I'm going to focus on this piece of your post. Many of these people are encouraging you because it's in their best interest to. This is part of their role in the organizational process. You need to disconnect your feelings from this a bit and recognize that to a degree - even if these people are actually close to you outside of work - that this is all part of the machine. As to the second part, if you'd rather trade sanity for ego, you wouldn't be the first idiot to do that (hint: don't).

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Fhqwhgads posted:

Someone's never met Staplerfahrer Klaus!
For anyone who missed it in like 2001:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DILjd69C0o

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Motronic posted:

So here's the thing you need to figure out: if you don't take this promo now have you put yourself in a position where you've burnt all of your goodwill at this company/with those coworkers? Because I've seen that happen before.

(I feel guilty cause I keep meaning to reply to your own e/n about golden handcuffs. Problem is, whenever I sit down to type it, it hits too far home)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Volmarias posted:

Triple check your contract, triple check that the amount marked for vesting hasn't changed. Treat it as gone for a year if you can afford to.

Then cash that fucker out.

I'm considering it to be an error for now, my read of the plan details leads me to believe that it would remain in the account as an unvested balance but it would follow the old vesting schedule (25% per year) and I am starting from basically day one of the third year - in 2 years it'd be fully vested. Basically the 3.6 roentgen of outcomes.

However if there's finer print in another section that talks about it being rolled current if rehired within, say, 18 months, then it would not be an error. I called the plan people and they said it would vest under the old schedule as mentioned above, but the guy was clearly putting me on hold to ask around. I wouldn't cash it out either way since it's a 401k and I have no reason to just spontaneously draw it out at penalty.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 24, 2020

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

The Sean posted:

My response is: I can't even relate to this world-view and expectations and if you can reasonably retire by 40 I legit don't care about your stress level. I've rewritten versions of my response because my default response is to poo poo on you and this is the most productive I can get. "First in the game of Life worldview" measured by "promotion level numbers and bank account numbers go up" is not a thing I like. My actual advice is: this is a weird way of looking at life. You will gain growth as a person if you disassemble this aspiration.

Why would you want to poo poo on him? Why do you think he needs to grow as a person?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Why is thinking like someone who has less money than you do considered growth?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
There is also no finish line in term of promotion. As soon as you get to the next level there is one after it that you will have the exact same pressure, encouragement, expectations to get to. Eventually you'll hit a situation where you cannot move up due to internal or external factors and by then your backup plan will be gone.

There's a chance you end up somewhere you love or different opportunities that are reasonably stress free, but usually those shrivel as you "move up". As a people manager for the last decade +, people management doesn't get easier and you either love it or it eats you. If you can wrangle it, great, but don't be afraid to admit it's not a fit.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Some coworkers in another office got laid off. I thought it might happen but didn't think it'd be so soon. I feel bad for them, I was talking to one of them a few weeks ago about how competitive entry level is for our industry. For now all I can think to do is give them my sympathy and encourage them to interview at the HQ, tho even that's hard bc they'd have to go from NY to IA. RIP

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"Chase money and promotions aggressively and save as much as possible so I can retire early and actually do things I enjoy" seems like a pretty mature worldview? :confused:

As for taking the promotion, the only advice I can give is that when it comes to this sort of thing what is best for you, your work/life balance, and your mental state is far, far, FAR more important that if it will make other people at your work upset. Yes, you will probably disappoint and potentially even anger some folks who consider themselves to have invested in you. That's not good, but it's significantly better than 2-3 years of misery in a 50+ hour a week job that's stressing you out.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm a little confused by the combination of "wants to make a pile to retire at 40" and "needs the satisfaction of achievement." Those two don't usually go together, which is why the richest people keep working until they die.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

spf3million posted:

I'm having a total gut check moment with my career. I'm 35, always been a high performer/high potential engineer, yada yada. Ever since I got out of college I've been gunning for promotions as hard as possible to make that money and get out of the rat race. My goal was to retire early at 40, kinda shifted to at least have FU money by 40. In early 2018 I was strongly recommended to take a promotion into a developmental role for a year and a half which would open me up to a bunch of opportunities. Well the opportunities are here and I have several options for an immediate promotion in the company. I took one on a trial basis to see if it was a good fit for both sides. One week in and I'm second guessing my whole life strategy.

The job I've been doing the last year and a half was a shift role with no outside-of-work responsibilities. I really really enjoyed the work, zero stress, great people, and the pay was very good. Any overtime I work is paid out in straight time hours. Like could probably still retire at 40 if I kept spending under control.

New role is in the day-shift organization supervising 4-7 engineers at a 24/7 production facility. The salary would be higher if I accepted full time but there's no over time pay, and it's clear that I won't be working only 40 hours/week. I was at work 54 hours this week, for example. Every day I wake up thinking about my new reports and what they have due and how are they going to have time to do it and what kind of quality can I expect from them and how are they going to get a hold of me if something happens at the plant while I'm in the backcountry this weekend. It's been stressful.

It's clear that staying on the fast track will pay out better over the next 5 years. I'd be in this job for 1.5-2 years before another promotion opportunity comes up and that next level is when the big bucks start coming in, $200-250k/yr. My plan was to get paid for a few years, continue saving, have $1.2-1.5MM leaving me with the option to downshift at 40 if I wanted. Now I'm thinking gently caress it I'll still have about $1MM by then if I keep my shift job and actually enjoy my life.

But how often do you get a chance to do a job that you actually really like with low stress that pays well? I'm leaning toward down shifting and coasting for a while and reserving my free mental energy for myself and things I want to do outside of work. That's what I want to do anyway, just trying to figure out of it's what I should do.

Anyway, that's my rant. Feels good to write it all down for a bunch of internet strangers.

It sounds like you're looking at more than just two different jobs. You're at a fork in the road between two different careers: stay technical, or make a shift to supervisory and eventually management responsibilities.

If you want a management role, the transition is going to be difficult. It always is, for anybody who cares about doing a good job. You're already good at the technical stuff, so there's going to be a constant temptation to pick up the really hard problems yourself just to get them done. The rest of the team depends on you, so you know you can't slack on your management stuff either. But, as you get more experience, you can trust your team to handle the day-to-day (including all the little emergencies), while you go out and make sure they've got the resources and room to maneuver, and give direction on the bigger problems.

But, that means a fundamental change in what you do for a living. You have to be OK with hanging up the technical gloves and letting your skills age. You can't let go of it completely - you have to stay on top of what's happening and know if somebody's bullshitting you - but your main job will be handling people problems, getting resources and projects for your people, navigating office politics so your reports don't have to, and making sure that your team has space to grow. If that sounds rewarding, great, go for it. If you really like the day-to-day of your current work more, though, then don't jump over just because it means "getting ahead."

The Sean posted:

My response is: I can't even relate to this world-view and expectations and if you can reasonably retire by 40 I legit don't care about your stress level. I've rewritten versions of my response because my default response is to poo poo on you and this is the most productive I can get. "First in the game of Life worldview" measured by "promotion level numbers and bank account numbers go up" is not a thing I like. My actual advice is: this is a weird way of looking at life. You will gain growth as a person if you disassemble this aspiration.

This is also really good advice. There's a reason the rat race metaphor sticks around. Figure out what your actual values and goals are, then figure out how to get there. If your actual goals and values are "I want to beat everybody else and get a high score" - that's not a great look, and you're also not going to get even 0.1% of the way there when your net worth at 35 has an M instead of a B at the end.

Sydin posted:

"Chase money and promotions aggressively and save as much as possible so I can retire early and actually do things I enjoy" seems like a pretty mature worldview? :confused:

If there's a defined plan and goals, OK, sure. But this isn't "I want to sail the world and I'm figuring out exactly what it will take to get there." Sacrificing all the things you enjoy now for the thought that you'll do them later is the kind of thing people tend to regret late in their very finite lives.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

The Sean posted:

I probably should just have abstained from posting but to explain:

I just can't stand that someone is doing well so I'm going to take a thinly-veiled dump on them

Fixed that for you

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I don't know what I was expecting by posting my e/n but I appreciate everyone's responses. I agree that's firmly in the "first world problems" category, I've been very privileged due to no particular credit to myself. I also agree that trying to win at life is a hosed up way to live, that's been a big part of my self reflection lately. I'm at the point where I'm looking at myself and wondering what's the point of being so aspirational. To this point I've been of the mindset that if I have to go to work, I might as well kick as much rear end as I can and reach as high as I can as fast as possible because what I really want to do is be in a position to "not work" or rather "not care so much about work". But why wait for some arbitrary number at some arbitrary age to start doing that.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

In the immortal words of Lawrence:

Well, you don't need a million dollars to do nothing, man. Take a look at my cousin: he's broke, don't do poo poo.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

In the immortal words of Lawrence:

Well, you don't need a million dollars to do nothing, man. Take a look at my cousin: he's broke, don't do poo poo.
:perfect: This is my Office Space moment

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

spf3million posted:

I also agree that trying to win at life is a hosed up way to live, that's been a big part of my self reflection lately. I'm at the point where I'm looking at myself and wondering what's the point of being so aspirational. To this point I've been of the mindset that if I have to go to work, I might as well kick as much rear end as I can and reach as high as I can as fast as possible because what I really want to do is be in a position to "not work" or rather "not care so much about work". But why wait for some arbitrary number at some arbitrary age to start doing that.
There's nothing pathological about wanting to get something besides money out of the place you're obliged to spend 8+ hours a day. Of course, given the choice, most people would rather do something else altogether, and not have to file TPS reports.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
What exactly do you want to do at 40? If you don't have a clear reason that uses the insane amount of free time you'd have I'd suggest asking yourself if it's worth sacrificing time now, that could be spent with family, friends, and hobbies, for time in the future.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think having the ability to drive that hard to succeed is incongruous with the idea that you’re going to be able to unplug at 40, so I’m curious what unplugging means to you. Does it mean starting your own thing? Does it mean doing volunteer stuff? Travelling the world?

gently caress you money is nice and all, but as the poster above me said, you don’t need anything to do nothing.

And if you’ve driven hard to get where you are, are you even capable of turning it off?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

A wonderful experience in life would be the ability to answer those questions by actually living them out.

If it sucks and you're bored you can always go back to work.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

Several months ago I posted about how corporate took away all of the personal garbage cans at our cubes and forced everyone to use shared garbage cans in the break room as a cost saving measure. As a result, our break room garbage can ballooned into 4 garbage cans constantly surrounded by garbage because they were always overfilled. I heard the call centers were even worse.

Today, all of our garbage cans disappeared and was replaced with a single trash compactor. Certainly nothing bad could possibly happen with this.

Garbage compactor update:

It's so broken, it's been completely removed. It didn't even last a year.

In the past few months, so much garbage started to get stuck in the machinery that flies got into it and started breeding. The maintenance guy tried to clean it out, but with no way to disassemble it, he just ended up cutting up his hands.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

you absolutely need money to do nothing. unless you guys are speaking about literally nothing, just staring at a wall all day.

hobbies and poo poo are expensive

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ghostnuke posted:

unless you guys are speaking about literally nothing, just staring at a wall all day.

I can't be the only one, right?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Sean posted:

What. The. gently caress.

Yup

They took away our garbage cans at each desk and replaced them with a single trash compactor that didn't even last a year.

I'm sure it's out on RMA and will be back soon but still, we have no garbage lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A million bucks isn’t exactly gently caress you money anyway, at that net worth you’re still going to have several sets of boots on your neck.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

You did it!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

His hand is way, way up her butt

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Boiled Water posted:

His hand is way, way up her butt

And her right hand is the reason for his smile.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Maybe I’m missing :thejoke: but I’m pretty sure separate pictures were photoshopped together for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bee posted:

I just started a new job and I don't have a desk. Myself and my colleague are working off of a conference table and the chairs are shite so my back is already starting to give me grief.

I'm late to this but this exact thing happened to me at a company that is >$50B in market cap. Corporate life.