Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Sade posted:

No. If it works for you and you can reach every button you need to press you're fine.

It doesn't that's why I'm asking. :downsgun:

Like, the combo opener is 1 followed by the the enmity combo on two and three with the first link of the dps combo on four but goaring and royal are all the down at 0 and -.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I personally wouldn't be opposed to some kind of system to nudge DPS into doing better, but I'm not sure how well it would work. My guess is the actual group of people it would affect (people who are doing poorly, can actually be shamed into improving, and aren't already aware and trying) is probably pretty small.

I don't know what else you'd do though. Actual consequences for poor DPS would probably make people mad and they'd quit before it would push them to improve their play. You could try rewards, like say earning DPS Gold medals went towards an achievement that awarded a mount or something, but knowing the FFXIV team they'd set the target number so high that it would essentially be meaningless to many players. See: the Astralagos mount requirement.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Public damage meters would be moderately poo poo but I really don't know why they are opposed to private logs with a simple acceptable / unacceptable rating and maybe a leaderboard so people know what the actual top end looks like.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Electronaut posted:

Like, the combo opener is 1 followed by the the enmity combo on two and three with the first link of the dps combo on four but goaring and royal are all the down at 0 and -.

If you are not comfortable with your current setup then change it until you are. There's no right answer, just mess with things until it works for you.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

The Electronaut posted:

Related to openers: are there precanned UI layouts and button placement config files or the like? My PLD layout is janky, I'm used to it, but feel it could be more efficient.

On keyboard, not really, just move stuff until you're not forgetting to push your buttons. On gamepad, there's a tiny delay when switching between hotbar sets, so button placement and using the XHB can make or break certain jobs. I usually put major cooldowns and/or oGCDs into the XHB, stuff that I need to be able to hit immediately no matter what set I'm in on my main hotbar. Defensive cooldowns and Press X To Not Die buttons on tanks, Aetherflow heals and faerie stuff on Scholar, and important but occasional-use cooldowns (Bahamut stuff, Sic, Rouse and such) on DPS jobs.

Anyways, I'm working on my crafting because I'm rapidly running out of combat jobs to level. Is there a primer on what the various crafter cross-class skills do and when you should use them? A lot of them are self-explanatory, but it's a bit hard to figure out if something like Waste Not is a better choice than a normal mend or Manipulation, for example.

On that note, I love the level 50 ALC skirt and the entire level 60 set and wish I could wear them with every job. :syoon:

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Vermain posted:

As a point of comparison, my 340 AST in unoptimized gear (re: not stacking crit yet) does somewhere in the range of 2300-2400 DPS on dungeon bosses at 70, depending on mechanics and how much I have to pause to Helios/Benefic II. I feel like, at bare minimum, you should be parsing above that as a DPS player.

As has been mentioned a lot, a big part of the problem is that there's simply no feedback on how good/bad people are doing. The aforementioned 1600 DPS RDM probably thought they were doing fine, because there's no solo content that unduly punishes you for doing a bad rotation, and separating your own personal damage from the damage of a group without a parser is impossible. I think it's hard to get a good balance between informing people that they're doing poorly and not wanting to expose them to public humiliation. My personal idea would be something akin to League of Legends' ranking system, where you're told your DPS after a boss fight/wipe, which is then graded on a curve of all other people of the same class doing the same boss on the data center. At the least, it would nudge people in the right direction if they consistently saw they were getting C-'s or whatever.

Yeah, I think the official position on damage meters is pretty retarded. Especially when they also design every single challenging fight in the game to have an enrage timer.

Giving people a grade after the run finishes would be pretty cool. Make it count damage done, healing done, and give negative marks for damage taken (depdending on class) and failed mechanics.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Philonius posted:

Giving people a grade after the run finishes would be pretty cool. Make it count damage done, healing done, and give negative marks for damage taken (depdending on class) and failed mechanics.

Make it look like Devil May Cry

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Grading with no reward for high grades is about all i can think of, yeah.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Has there been any plans to move Glamour dressers out of inn rooms? Because it's really tedious to have to run all the way over to one anytime I wanna edit or put stuff into it.

don't worry
theyre in the barracks now too

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I would like it for personal improvement, but I don't think it would really help the overall problem of the DPS playerbase being on average piss poor.

I do think they should still try something, though. Worst case scenario we get a bunch of funny OF posts about it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Do the best thing WoW did which was add a mandatory proving grounds to queue for the equivalent of EXDR where you had to just score enough to prove that you understood how the game works on any level at all.

...Although they did have to remove this since enough people who don't think hitting buttons is how you're supposed to play couldn't manage it. But it was a good idea.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

On keyboard, not really, just move stuff until you're not forgetting to push your buttons. On gamepad, there's a tiny delay when switching between hotbar sets, so button placement and using the XHB can make or break certain jobs. I usually put major cooldowns and/or oGCDs into the XHB, stuff that I need to be able to hit immediately no matter what set I'm in on my main hotbar. Defensive cooldowns and Press X To Not Die buttons on tanks, Aetherflow heals and faerie stuff on Scholar, and important but occasional-use cooldowns (Bahamut stuff, Sic, Rouse and such) on DPS jobs.

Anyways, I'm working on my crafting because I'm rapidly running out of combat jobs to level. Is there a primer on what the various crafter cross-class skills do and when you should use them? A lot of them are self-explanatory, but it's a bit hard to figure out if something like Waste Not is a better choice than a normal mend or Manipulation, for example.

On that note, I love the level 50 ALC skirt and the entire level 60 set and wish I could wear them with every job. :syoon:

I've been using this to level my crafters and get a handle on DoH and DoL.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L1aDMxZOjhdmzsilToDvsrwqfcUOs6NKxhsCBa1IwVQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L1aDMxZOjhdmzsilToDvsrwqfcUOs6NKxhsCBa1IwVQ/preview

Yes, it's that many pages (I advise downloading it).

I won't claim that this is the concise guide, but this is a concise guide.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

The Electronaut posted:

Rebind your hotbars before you do anything else. I have turn left/right unbound since you should always mouse turn and strafe left/right bound to A and D. I have 1-6 bound on the numrow and the rest of the buttons bound to QERTFG. Hotbars 2 and 3 are the same with ctrl and alt modifiers.

For me rage of halone combo is 1 ctrl+1 ctrl+2, royal combo is 123 and goring combo is 124. The rest of my main hotbar is holy spirit, total eclipse, sheltron, flash, voke, shield swipe, shield lob and sprint. The rest of my ctrl row is ogcds, buffs and clemency and the alt row is oaths and defensive buttons.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mordiceius posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/arthars

These guys literally just took it to 70%. Then something happened and every dps died in one move.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ShortChillyChimpanzeeWTRuck

I feel bad that I laughed at the DRG for dying first.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
a number of people doing bad DPS (or not doing DPS while healing or only being in tank stance 24/7 or whatever) do so not only because there's nothing forcing them to do differently, but because there's nothing telling them HOW to do things differently. sure the melee combo system of "press A, then press B or C, then press D, E, or F" when the appropriate button lights up guides people but not all jobs have that and even then there's a lot more to doing decent numbers than that.

there would need to be in-game tutorials that teach rotations, ideally with rewards for proving that you can repeat your rotation under some amount of pressure, possibly tiered rewards. it's one thing to constantly say "you did bad, take your C rating at the end of your dungeon run" and another to then show them how to improve. now i don't think everyone will take to this, but ifwe accept the premise that 1.4k dps and honest healers aren't fun to have in your group then i think there needs to be more to the solution than just hoping people find the appropriate Google Doc on some random discord for their class

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I wonder what the baseline DPS is for each class's simplest rotation. Like Blizzard 1 only BLM, Jolt only RDM, basic 123 combo melee classes as long as they just keep pressing buttons.

Because my thought of the crazy bad DPS is that they are literally afk and not pressing buttons.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Hyper Inferno posted:

I wonder what the baseline DPS is for each class's simplest rotation. Like Blizzard 1 only BLM, Jolt only RDM, basic 123 combo melee classes as long as they just keep pressing buttons.

Because my thought of the crazy bad DPS is that they are literally afk and not pressing buttons.

This is legitimately the case in 24 mans, people just AFK through because they want others to pick up the slack.

In smaller content, it's that people are incorrectly prioritizing rotation (or perceived rotation) over button mashing and taking time to think about what to press next.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
there's definitely plenty of AFK in dungeons too, the whole "healer watching netflix" thing is a reality of this hosed up world. but there's still people who are bad that are playing in good faith

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I’ve been looking at the new potencies since the patch for DRK. Dark passenger might be... really good?

So if DRK aoe is fueled by mp, then the most efficient use of mp to potency is abyssal drain without Arts.

(This isn’t going into TBN fueling quietus, which is more efficient at 2 mobs. Always TBN on cooldown.)

But in large enough pulls and with quietus’ mp restoration, there’s plenty of space to use more spenders so you don’t cap and waste mp. So we turn to Dark Arts.

Dark arts, when applied, increases potency by 140, with a few exceptions:
Bloodspiller in Grit, but that’s exactly compensating for the Grit damage malus.
Carve and Spit, a whopping 350 increase, though the mp regained is worth another abyssal, so just hit it for mp regen at 3 mobs.
Quietus, only 50 bonus so 4 mobs is where it beats bloodspiller with the grit malus.

Thing is, Passenger is 140 potency in aoe, and adds another 140 with Dark arts. That’s less mp efficient than abyssal, but the speed at which you can regain mp in large pulls far outpaces the speed you can spend it with just abyssal drain. Passenger is far, far better than quietus for aoe damage, likely why it has a 60s cd now.

Since blood price’s mp return was nerfed, it’s real benefit is the passive blood gain for your real mp restore, quietus and delirium. Thus the anti-synergy between the blind and price is a little less of a sting.

Looking at it like this, Arts + Abyssal is a defensive choice, leaving potency to gain hp. It’s not bad (it kinda pales next to WAR options), but it’s counter to the goal of finishing a pack ASAP.

Anyway I’ve been using passenger at the top of big pulls, but I don’t have a parser so I dont know if this is bearing out in practice.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I finally finished 4.3 MSQ and the Burn looks like surface of the Moon. Coincidence? I think not. And we know who lives on the Moon (because its their god) and who loves primals.:tinfoil:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Wait, are the Namazu beast tribe quests only for crafters? This is the most hosed up thing ever, I'm livid.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 9, 2018

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Crafters and gatherers.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Literally the only time bad players is a problem that wants a solution is when a bad starts queuing for ex/savage stuff. And at least in my experience, the percentage of people trying that content who fundamentally cannot clear it at their current skill level is very very low. The grading system or whatever is a solution looking for a problem.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Cabbit posted:

Wait, are the Namazu beast tribe quests are only for crafters? This is the most hosed up thing ever, I'm livid.

ARR - Ixal
HW - Moogles
SB - Namazu

It's not hard.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You might still be able to clear but it's no fun at all when your 15 minute dungeon ends up taking closer to 30 minutes when your level 70 dps are doing damage that would be bad in i200 gear.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

jalapeno_dude posted:

ARR - Ixal
HW - Moogles
SB - Namazu

It's not hard.

I've been playing this game for like a month.

Regardless, this is an outrage, because I want to hang out with the idiot catfish.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Cabbit posted:

Regardless, this is an outrage, because I want to hang out with the idiot catfish.

Time to gather/craft!

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Cabbit posted:

One of many reasons to level crafting.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mordiceius posted:

Mordiceius & Masami's 1st Annual Housing Decorator Battle Royale: A Fight to the Death... OF STYLE

The Warrior of Light has spent years on the the battlefield, fighting foes both seen and unseen. However, are you a bad enough dude to step up and take on the biggest challenge yet - interior design!

In conjunction with the Manderville Gold Saucer's Make It Rain campaign, Mordiceius Ketsumei wants to make it rain on your wallet with fabulous prizes!

Over the three weeks of this competition, the goal is to decorate the best house and/or apartment possible.

Rules & Requirements
This is for players on the Excalibur server, sorry other servers.
This is a competition for privately owned Houses and Apartments. FC houses are not eligible for the prizes.
You may compete in both the housing tier and the apartment tier, should you have both.
Only the current main homeowner may apply for competition. If you are a shared tenant of an estate, you cannot sign up with an estate unless you are the main owner.
To sign up, you must go to Mordiceius Ketsumei's house at Mist, Ward 9, Plot 4 and leave a message in the message book with your house/apartment address any time before the final deadline.
All entries must be open to the public so anyone can view.
All entries must contain a message book either inside or outside the property.

Final Deadline
June 23rd, 12pm (Noon) PDT

Once entries are closed, a list of all participating homeowners will be listed in this thread so anyone may view.

Winners will be announced by June 24th, 12pm (Noon) PDT

Prizes!
Best in Show: Estate
5 million gil
Player's choice of rare minion: Byakko Cub, Private Moai, Stuffed Tsukuyomi, Wind-up Magnai, Wind-up Shinryu

Best in Show: Apartment
1 million gil
Player's choice of rare minion: Byakko Cub, Private Moai, Stuffed Tsukuyomi, Wind-up Magnai, Wind-up Shinryu

Reminder, this competition is open for another two weeks. There is still time to enter your house or apartment!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Mymla posted:

One of many reasons to level crafting.

What's the cheapest and/or fastest and/or lowest effort Hand/Land to level up, anyway?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Tbh? Culinary/botany. You get most of the stuff to make the food from botany anyways, and can just buy the fish when you need them.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Don
t craft if you value inv space.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Tbh? Culinary/botany. You get most of the stuff to make the food from botany anyways, and can just buy the fish when you need them.

Yep. You want to level CUL anyways to 34 for SH2 and Hasty Touch, so if you're only looking to go all-in on a single class, that's probably the best one. Realistically, I encourage you to bring the others up to 15 as well at a minimum, since their cross-class stuff is indispensable. Other than that, you can pretty easily do custom deliveries at 70 for gobs of scrips to turn into cash with the Stormblood skills.

Alder posted:

Don
t craft if you value inv space.

If you don't care about speeding to 70 straightaway, you can just casually do Ixali/Moogle/Namazu dailies and otherwise ignore the fact that CUL takes 6-8 different ingredients per craft on average. If you want to get the other classes up to 70, though, I highly encourage doing them all in one go if you don't have a levekit. Not having to carry around three different tiers of materials is incredibly helpful compared to doing them all piecemeal.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 9, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I leveled crafters to 50 in ARR and it loving sucked. In HW I got one to 60 the hard way decided that it was super dumb and bad, and used moogles to go the rest of the way. I'm using Namazu for the same purpose now.

I am honestly spending am extraordinary amount of effort making sure I'll be able to repair in each new expansion

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I got to 30 as a culinarian entirely by filling out the botany list and emptying my inventory into recipes. Then I discovered alchemy and the war crimes never ended.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Getting to 1-60 in DoH is vastly more tolerable now for a variety of reasons, even if you don't have millions of gil to blow on levekits. I got a new character up to 50 on all of the DoHs in the span of about a month with a combination of provisioning turnins, Ixali dailies, and leves to finish off the last 40-50 hurdle. The fact that you can buy Artisan gear for company seals reduces the amount of gil you have to dump into 51+ crafting to start off, and a few of the more annoying components to try and get (like Coerthan Tea Leaves and Dravanian Mistletoe) are vendor bought now. Only thing that can suck my rear end is that Pudding Flesh is still a retainer-only drop, for all intents and purposes, unless you fancy doing synced runs of Pharos Sirius, and that limits the amount of Void Glue you can pump out considerably.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Cabbit posted:

Wait, are the Namazu beast tribe quests only for crafters? This is the most hosed up thing ever, I'm livid.

actually starting with stormblood, theyre for gatherers too

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I got to 30 as a culinarian entirely by filling out the botany list and emptying my inventory into recipes. Then I discovered alchemy and the war crimes never ended.

alch has like, the easiest ARR leve kits to buy/make though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I meant to imply that the levels were insanely quick due to those leves.