Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Zombies' Downfall posted:

This isn't how perks work, you have to max out the companion's affection to get them. Keep befriending Macready (the fastest way is to go somewhere with a ton of poo poo to steal and save/reload between every theft, since he's into that) and you'll eventually get another quest and probably need to do a little grinding even after that.

It's worth it, though: if Macready's companion perk isn't bugged, it's overpowered as gently caress.

Joking? It's clearly bugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Seditiar posted:

Hm, I guess Power Armor parts are an exception to that? Although I suppose you don't see the Powered Armor Frame in their inventory either.

Yeah, you have to talk to your followers to get them out of power armor.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Power armor frame does not replace their actual clothing so no.

Numbers
Jul 13, 2000
Looks like Takahashi is running a new special this week...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Drunk in Space posted:

I had the same thought when it happened to me. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened with most people who got to that point, because who doesn't hit the "take all" button when offloading companions instead of going through each piece of junk bit by bit?
I've begun to put my companions in empty power armor frames. They won't remove them when I hit Take All, and it makes them easy to spot in a crowd at a settlement.. Also it means I've always got a spare frame nearby when I kill some dude in a full suit of Raider II PA or something that I don't want to carry.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Lima posted:

Yeah, you have to talk to your followers to get them out of power armor.

Yeah I'm aware of that. Just saying that everything shows up in your follower's inventory even if they're wearing it, apart from apparently outfits.

Nitrox posted:

Power armor frame does not replace their actual clothing so no.

I meant that this is another item that doesn't show up in inventories when worn (in this case ever).

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Is there a way to lock an item in your inventory so that if its junk, it doesn't get stored after hitting 'store all'?

Really getting tired of having to pull out of the workshop my prewar money and those gold bars bsck into my inventory everytime i go to drop off some goddamn desk fans and tin cans.

Also, shouldn't prewar money be worthless? Dont get me wrong, its great in-game for buying cool poo poo, but you're ruining my immersion Bethesda!

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

super macho dude posted:

Is there a way to lock an item in your inventory so that if its junk, it doesn't get stored after hitting 'store all'?

Really getting tired of having to pull out of the workshop my prewar money and those gold bars bsck into my inventory everytime i go to drop off some goddamn desk fans and tin cans.

Also, shouldn't prewar money be worthless? Dont get me wrong, its great in-game for buying cool poo poo, but you're ruining my immersion Bethesda!

You can still make beds out of them, because it's cloth v:shobon:v

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Iceshade posted:

You can still make beds out of them, because it's cloth v:shobon:v

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Which companions are the most effective in combat? I am fond of MacReady but he can't hit a goddamned thing. Piper's nice to have around but her default gun sucks. Strong just uses melee unless I want to feed him ammo..

Does anybody have a particularly useful default weapon or behavior? MacReady really pisses me off when he posts up against cover in the only doorway, and I can't get past him while I'm getting my rear end shot off by some minigun-toting legendary or some poo poo.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

this game is great because it gives you a walking tank AND a bunch of gold bars to sell so you can buy a unique legendary almost pretty much right away :woof:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

coyo7e posted:

Which companions are the most effective in combat? I am fond of MacReady but he can't hit a goddamned thing. Piper's nice to have around but her default gun sucks. Strong just uses melee unless I want to feed him ammo..

Does anybody have a particularly useful default weapon or behavior? MacReady really pisses me off when he posts up against cover in the only doorway, and I can't get past him while I'm getting my rear end shot off by some minigun-toting legendary or some poo poo.

Paladin Danse is super tough and his laser rifle does a good chunk of damage.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ I guess I need to unlock him, I've been perpetually doing missions for the scribe and the rear end in a top hat and wasn't really sure how to progress the BoS stuff further to recruit him.

super macho dude posted:

I am sad that prewar is junk so I always end up throwing it into mats instead of trading it for caps. I wonder how many I have laying around in storage, probably hundreds.

As for locking items there isn't really, but if you rename items to have a blank space or a period in front of their name a la ".44 Revolver" or ".Combat Armor L Leg" they will shoot to the top of every list so it's hard to miss them, and you don't have to scan through your inventory to find each piece.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

coyo7e posted:

I liked Cait, fairly short range, so you can stand behind her and be quite a bit safer than usual. She'll start blasting away with her shotgun. Cutie has a pretty good laser weapon as well.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
All followers follow the same combat script, equal for blocking opportunities for everyone! I give them some hard hitting single shot weapons that use currently not needed ammo, takes a long time to use it up

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Seditiar posted:

I liked Cait, fairly short range, so you can stand behind her and be quite a bit safer than usual. She'll start blasting away with her shotgun. Cutie has a pretty good laser weapon as well.
Since I met Cait in a fighting pit I originally thought she was melee but yeah I like her shotgun, the range is "just right" to keep her from hanging back and also to giv eher more range then suicidally running in with a sledgehammer.

Curie's worlds better than Codsworth due to her range as well as her VA and stuff, but she does get in the way a lot. I need to find someone to help her I guess.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Yardbomb posted:

MacCready turned into a fun guy with nice hair, pretty eyes and absolutely horrible teeth.

So he's post-apocalyptic Shane MacGowan?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Realistically big settlements would be a pain to actually navigate and manage, as would a gameworld in which it takes half an hour to walk from Sanctuary to Red Rocket.

Yeah, people say they want more realistic scale, but they don't really. Miles of empty ruins and wilderness with nothing going on in them between actual settlements? No thanks. Imagine if Skyrim had miles and miles of dense forest to get lost in. And the real world is full of buildings with boring repetitive architecture you'd get lost in in a video game and which would make for poor game flow. People learned this 15 years ago when they tried making counter-strike maps based precisely on real locations and found out how much they suck to actually play.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

coyo7e posted:

Paladin Dickhead has a laser rifle that will basically melt anything. I've seen him take a missile to the face and not flinch either while people like Nick go down pretty drat fast in a heavy firefight.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

coyo7e posted:

^^^ I guess I need to unlock him, I've been perpetually doing missions for the scribe and the rear end in a top hat and wasn't really sure how to progress the BoS stuff further to recruit him.

I am sad that prewar is junk so I always end up throwing it into mats instead of trading it for caps. I wonder how many I have laying around in storage, probably hundreds.

As for locking items there isn't really, but if you rename items to have a blank space or a period in front of their name a la ".44 Revolver" or ".Combat Armor L Leg" they will shoot to the top of every list so it's hard to miss them, and you don't have to scan through your inventory to find each piece.

Fun fact: When you're naming weapons, you can use <i> and <b> to format the text.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
I had a quest to talk to a settler yet every time I fast travelled to where he was he had moved on somewhere else. I eventually fast travelled to a spot ahead of where I thought he was heading and caught up to him.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

Yeah, people say they want more realistic scale, but they don't really. Miles of empty ruins and wilderness with nothing going on in them between actual settlements? No thanks. Imagine if Skyrim had miles and miles of dense forest to get lost in. And the real world is full of buildings with boring repetitive architecture you'd get lost in in a video game and which would make for poor game flow. People learned this 15 years ago when they tried making counter-strike maps based precisely on real locations and found out how much they suck to actually play.

Nice strawman, but there's a huge difference between "town with 4 houses 100m away from the next one with a barn and a shed" and "ultra realistic city 20km across". I'm pretty sure most people who voice criticism of Bethesda's cramped world want something in between, not the ultra realistic city part where going from one end to another takes an hour by train.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Entropic posted:

Fun fact: When you're naming weapons, you can use <i> and <b> to format the text.

<li>name</li> really makes them stand out in my experience

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the scale in this game is actually the best that Bethesda has ever done, and better than New Vegas even. The combat zone in Boston actually feels like a ruined city, and the illusion only breaks down when you get into the suburbs and wilderness. Even there, it's broken up in a pretty satisfying way, so the smallness isn't that apparent. It's one area that they improved in.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

orcane posted:

Nice strawman, but there's a huge difference between "town with 4 houses 100m away from the next one with a barn and a shed" and "ultra realistic city 20km across". I'm pretty sure most people who voice criticism of Bethesda's cramped world want something in between, not the ultra realistic city part where going from one end to another takes an hour by train.

Less cramped means less content tho. There still seems to be plenty of wilderness and open space to explore

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Entropic posted:

I'm guessing that data is stored as an XML file somewhere? It makes me wonder what else you could put in there to break the game...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

sector_corrector posted:

I'm guessing that data is stored as an XML file somewhere? It makes me wonder what else you could put in there to break the game...

M̻̤͔̤̦̤͓̅̇ͥ̈ͩa̰̽͐ͮ̓̏̂ȑ̿̇ͬk͉̦̤͌͌͐͌͟s̹̉̈́m̶a̳̗͎̖͍̤n̠̫͈̰̯̒͛̈́ͤ̏̀ͪ͘'̞̼̳͚ͬ̈́̄ͪ̃ͮs̲̭͇͖̻̀̓ ̴͉̲͂̏P͍̹̥̬o̥̜ͨ͑̿͑ͅw̖̰̝̹̣̓ͮ̃̇er̺̣̭̫̞͔f̣̣̖̿ͭ̚͜ṳ͈̼̠̆͋͗ľ̗̤̭̹̼̱̝̿ͩ̓̕ ̤̩̃͘C̯̱̪̭̖͉͂ͣ͌̇ͭ́o͍͚̰͈̤̦̐͝m̂͒b̳̺̣ͭ̏ͧ̋́áͣͫ͂̄ͪ̅t̤̼̣̠̭ͪ ͇̥̭̰͎̞ͪ̍͑ͬR͂͛̑ͮ͐̌̓i̙͗͐̎f̈́̎̏̇͐̀l̸̮̑e̫̫̙̭̥͙̣ͪͦͣ̾

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Yardbomb posted:

On the other, MacCready turned into a fun guy with nice hair, pretty eyes and absolutely horrible teeth.
I left him at Red Rocket overnight and came back to find that he'd stripped off his power armor frame (a stolen one so I only use it for companions sigh) to lie down and nap, and his bare body looks like he's been rolling in a pile of manure.

I have never once thought "a clean-skin mod might be nice" until I noticed that MacReady is so filthy it makes ME itch in sympathy.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Lone Badger posted:

Is the displayed damage for a gauss rifle the uncharged damage or the fully-charged damage?

I can't figure this out either. But it's a bitch to hit a moving target with a charged shot, so I just VATS headshot with it and that seems to one-shot most human-sized enemies anyway.

Mr Cuddles posted:

<li>name</li> really makes them stand out in my experience

The closing tags seem to be unnecessary but my coder OCD won't let me leave them off.

sector_corrector posted:

I wouldn't put it past Bethesda for their to be a code injection exploit on weapon renaming. I'm afraid try putting </xml> or something in my weapon name.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

I think the scale in this game is actually the best that Bethesda has ever done, and better than New Vegas even. The combat zone in Boston actually feels like a ruined city, and the illusion only breaks down when you get into the suburbs and wilderness. Even there, it's broken up in a pretty satisfying way, so the smallness isn't that apparent. It's one area that they improved in.

That's how I feel. Even if the storyline is weaker that what I expected the actual world is almost the perfect size. I didn't even see the robot run tall ship stuck on the building until the endgame because I hadn't completely explored the city area. There's tonnes of places that are actually unique with little things that work well without overstaying, like the HalluciGen building versus Atomics versus whatever else. I would like more areas like it to explore, but if they had just slapped in 10x as many streets with boarded up buildings to walk past it'd just be Skyrim without the lovely mountains.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
ok so like a good mod would be one that when you pacify a random candy rear end raider or a monster you can walk it back to a settlement and there is a special piece of furniture that when you order them to interact with it they become a part of the settlement. Monsters turn basically into 'dogs' in that they stick to a settlement and provide some defense and fight raiders and poo poo, raiders and stuff turn into settlers and settle down.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

You give your companion a super sledge and let them go to town

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Motherfucker posted:

ok so like a good mod would be one that when you pacify a random candy rear end raider or a monster you can walk it back to a settlement and there is a special piece of furniture that when you order them to interact with it they become a part of the settlement. Monsters turn basically into 'dogs' in that they stick to a settlement and provide some defense and fight raiders and poo poo, raiders and stuff turn into settlers and settle down.
only if you get to hook a balloon to them and make them fly away to the castle

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

only if you get to hook a balloon to them and make them fly away to the castle

Yes. Yes. Absolutely this.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Or get Lone Wanderer and not have to deal with companions getting in your way or eating your bullets. The extra carry weight and buffs to your offense and defense are icing on the cake. Bethesda games never have good companion AI.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm using Curie cause she has the cute French accent.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Just had an encounter where I nearly shat my pants (of excitement), an Ancient Behemoth was chasing two Deathclaws, he drew a bolder when they started running away and headshotted one of those assholes, dealing like 40% damage. :catstare:

Some poster in here saying that the AI throws way too accurate (something about grenades raining down on dicks) wasn't kidding. Those Deathclaws were running at least 20 mph and he headshotted one while they were running over a hill.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Starhawk64 posted:

Or get Lone Wanderer and not have to deal with companions getting in your way or eating your bullets. The extra carry weight and buffs to your offense and defense are icing on the cake. Bethesda games never have good companion AI.

But then I don't get to hear the commentary. Or in the case of using Nick/Cait, that means I would have to spec into both lockpicking and hacking.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Another mod we need is generic rear end jumpsuits.

I need red jumpsuits with black boots for my security nerds to go along with their covenant security armor. that way when they beat clowns I can laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Motherfucker posted:

Another mod we need is generic rear end jumpsuits.

I need red jumpsuits with black boots for my security nerds to go along with their covenant security armor. that way when they beat clowns I can laugh.

Someone will mod in Star Trek uniforms or something, don't worry.

• Locked thread