Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the character designs in TP are grotesque

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
They're grotesque in Skyward Sword too, look at that loving fortune teller guy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't think anyone was prepared for HD Sparrot. :stare:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's the entire point though. He has special eyes.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Models are fine but the medical event Fi suffers when “singing” with Link’s harp playing is hard to watch.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
It's wild that this game had a full orchestra but switches to notably god-awful sounding midi singing for all the harp-playing bits whilst Fi becomes briefly demonically possessed

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

romanowski posted:

the character designs in TP are grotesque
yeah but that's one of the actually good parts of its look

unlike the rest of it the characters actually look distinctive and interesting

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like Fledge, and how we can made him get buff

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Having since completed the Volcano Silent Realm, it also wasn't nearly as annoying as I remember it from 2011. I wonder if a lot of my annoyance from the original came from annoyance at motion controls I hadn't particularly gotten used to.

It took me four tries to get through, and on the fourth try, my main aim was actually "Well, let's get all the tears on the map so we can plot out an actual course to get them all." followed by "Well, there's no way I'll make it back in time, so let's just get this Dusk Relic and try to grab that one for the hell of it," resulting in me successfully crossing the entire map pursued by Guardians to succeed.

That said, I probably need to look into some controller settings, as I'm having trouble flicking the right thumbstick fast enough to perform some of the required actions in the Volcano temple. I usually have to use my whole hand on the thumbstick to move it fast enough.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly I managed to not even lose on any of the trials and I still think they're terribly annoying, at the very least I would appreciate a checkpoint so I don't have to panic when I'm being chased with only two pieces left to go.
The volcano one was definitely the worst, it's spread over the most twisty and roadblocked path. I spent the most time running from active guardians in that one.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

he's funny

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m not really sure why they felt the need to give the characters such luscious lips in SS but other than that I like the character designs a lot. Groose is :discourse:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I beat SSHD at about 30 hours, without really bothering with anything besides the main questline. Honestly, my opinion is about the same as it was a decade ago: I like it overall, it has some great dungeons and the story is good, but it just has so many pacing problems. The motion controls are gimmicky but I can get behind them, the padding is by far the biggest issue. I'd just be so much happier if it was 5-6 hours shorter without so many forced collectathons and such stopping your progress in the dungeons and plot.

Overall, it's the same as I felt a decade ago: the lowest spot in the 3D section of the franchise (save for OoT on a technicality, which I've just played too much to really want to return to). That doesn't mean it's bad, it's still worth playing and has a ton of great ideas in it. It's just that it constantly feels like it's compelled to keep getting in the way of me enjoying its very fun core gameplay.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“I played Ocarina so much that I don’t want to play it anymore” isn’t a technicality, it’s your ranking system being a pile of horse hooey!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Maybe Ocarina's just not that good of a game after all :smuggo:

Nah I'm kidding, it's good, it's just a me problem.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If I've just arrived at the City in the Sky in Twilight Princess roughly how many hours have I got left to go?

Wanna see if I can finish TP tonight as I'm away from home for a while from tomorrow.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

If I've just arrived at the City in the Sky in Twilight Princess roughly how many hours have I got left to go?

Wanna see if I can finish TP tonight as I'm away from home for a while from tomorrow.

Hours I dunno, but you've still got a fair amount to get through. That dungeon plus a couple more endgame areas that always take me a while.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Necrothatcher posted:

You’re very close to the end, apart from cutscenes and stuff there’s only one real dungeon left after City in the Sky plus Hyrule Castle which isn’t very long iirc. You might spend some time tying up loose ends with the item from that dungeon but otherwise you could power through to the end in like 4-5 hours.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Alright cool, well I just wrapped up City in the Sky (great dungeon, kickass boss) so going to see how I far get before bed.

e: got to Hyrule Castle and got tired, so did the rest this morning. Glad I did as there was more game left than I thought and I hate playing these when I'm sleepy.

Bit disappointed that some kind of glitch happened with the Howling Stones. I was missing the final sword lesson but had visited all the stones - I double-checked each of them and followed a guide to be sure, but the last Hero's Spirit never appeared.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 25, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I've only played a few Zelda games, Ocarina, Majora, Wind Waker and maybe 20 minutes of Twilight Princess. I dont own a switch but I think Hyrule Warriors looks cool and funny and Link being a 100 year napping avenger in Breath of the Wild makes him the Zelda equivalent of the Doom Slayer.

Timeline stuff is confusing for me. I want to play the remasters of Ocarina and Majora but I don't have a 3DS is there any way to play them on a console like the switch or am I SOL thanks to Nintendo practices?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The 3DS remakes have not been ported, so if you want to play them on something else you'll have to emulate.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Timeline is also completely irrelevant beyond a few nods. There are a bunch of games directly connected as sequels but even they give you the gist of what's going on and usually have completely different settings and characters anyways outside of Link.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been watching the retrospective videos that KingK did a few years back and I got recommended that phenomenal short film Terrible Fate so I really want to play Majora's Mask again. I always liked it more than Ocarina back when I still had my n64.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

There have been some rumors about OoT rerelease on Switch soon, but I don't know how valid they are and I don't think MM is in the same boat regardless.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

mastajake posted:

There have been some rumors about OoT rerelease on Switch soon, but I don't know how valid they are and I don't think MM is in the same boat regardless.

I feel like they’re holding off announcing a Zelda 3D All Stars in order to not cannibalize sales from Skyword Sword. I wouldn’t be surprised if it dropped later this fall in either the likely September Direct or a separate Zelda 35th anniversary special Direct.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 26, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mastajake posted:

aren’t there always rumors about that

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Nintendo will rerelease X popular title from one of its core franchises is about the easiest rumor in the world because it'll always be true eventually.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Still waiting on that new startropics

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

I feel like they’re holding off announcing a Zelda 3D All Stars in order to not cannibalize sales from Skyword Sword. I wouldn’t be surprised if it dropped later this fall in either the likely September Direct or a separate Zelda 35th anniversary special Direct.

I have a hunch that they’re holding on to any potential ports (WW/TP seem more likely to me) for the inevitable pushing back BOTW2 to 2023 so they have something to drop next year

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I have a hunch that they’re holding on to any potential ports (WW/TP seem more likely to me) for the inevitable pushing back BOTW2 to 2023 so they have something to drop next year

I'd say you're probably right; It's likely tucked away in a drawer somewhere as what was originally part of a Year of Zelda that got hosed by COVID and they're just slowly bits and pieces of it out towards the assumed new BOTW2 release date. I'd put the HD rerelease at June next year IF they can hold to the Holiday 2022 release for BOTW2 though.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I just want them to do to the Oracle games what they did to Link's Awakening

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cartoon Man posted:

Aonuma said in the last Direct (or was it the one before that?) that they didn’t have anything more planned for the Zelda 35th anniversary.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Gaius Marius posted:

Still waiting on that new startropics

Still waiting on a new Star Fox :colbert:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Finally getting around to playing Skyward Sword and am greatly enjoying it. I feel like this is a series that even at its worst never lets me down. Groose is a good time, I enjoyed the silence trials because they're such a different take. I wish the items had more varied uses - it seems strange that the whip does almost nothing in combat, for instance.

Everything to do with the Loftwing segments sucks though, it feels like it's just padding. I can see what they were trying to go for and the similarity to the ocean in Wind Waker, but I think it REALLY suffers because you can see everything in the whole zone from anywhere else. Having some clouds in the area blocking sight lines, or things fading into haze after a certain distance, might maintain some of that sense of mystery and exploration. And having any kind of combat challenge at all would make it feel more like a part of a game, not just an extended loading sequence - there are some menacing bug-looking things in Thunderhead that seem like they're maybe supposed to be a combat challenge, but none of them has ever actually attacked me so idk.

All in all I'm glad I am finally getting to experience this one, and glad I'm getting to do it on a regular controller instead of with motion controls. I can see how they'd be fun, and there are certainly some maneuvers that are easier with them like doing spin attacks or catching bugs, but I greatly prefer being able to flick the right stick in combat.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What has Link ever said out loud? Besides "Excuuuuuuuse me Princess"

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Hyaaaaah!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Wind Waker he says "Come On" when calling over NPCs.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ImpAtom posted:

In Wind Waker he says "Come On" when calling over NPCs.

This is upsetting.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

"Kooloo-Limpah!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

In link's awakening switch he says a single legible word also: sometimes when using a projectile item like the bow or hookshot he'll say "sore" (the japanese word, not sore like in pain) instead of just grunting. Easy to miss unless you're looking for it though, it really does sound more like just a generic vocalisation if you don't already know the word/language