Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
I normally just sub off :gbsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Have a teammate mime giving you a card, and the other teammates crowd him and protest and you walk off like "whatever."

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Celebrations are for cunts, sorry guys

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Insanely Sikh posted:

Celebrations are for cunts, sorry guys

What do you do then

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Nothing

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Wow, what a fun game you play. I assume that post game you take a good bath in WD40 and then apply a fresh coat of rust proofing :rolleyes:

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

I played today and scored 7 goals, gently caress if I have the temerity let alone energy to celebrate after each one (Ronaldo didn't celebrate either)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

If you're scoring 7 goals in a game you should celebrate by moving up into an appropriate division for your skills...

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

iajanus posted:

If you're scoring 7 goals in a game you should celebrate by moving up into an appropriate division for your skills...

lol at this idiot who plays in a league where people defend

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Yeah seriously. No one even celebrates in the more competitive weekend leagues, it's all a bit juvenile unless you're pissing about with mates

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
It's just too dick-ish to the other team. Plus, if I'm paying to a part of a team and I only have X minutes of time on the field, I'm not going to waste it. I just want to play.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

If you score a screamer, a celebration is definitely appropriate but do it on the way back to your own half readying for kickoff, don't run to the corner and point out your shirt name to the 'crowd' or whatever

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol if you don't "celebrate" by taking 15 seconds to rest your fat lard butt (speaking from experience)

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I've always celebrated by shaking my fist- kinda like I'm giving an invisible dude a handjob. I don't plan to do this, just seems like the natural reaction to scoring :confused:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Bogan Krkic posted:

If you score a screamer, a celebration is definitely appropriate but do it on the way back to your own half readying for kickoff, don't run to the corner and point out your shirt name to the 'crowd' or whatever

Yeah, running to the corner would be bizarre (except if you actually playing in front of some supporters) but :lol: at the idea that people don't celebrate to some degree in competitive leagues, at least here. Not sure what country you guys are in but here where we play 90 minute games nobody's wasting any real time having such fun, you're not being a dick unless you're actively waving it in people's faces, and we're not all robots who play only for the purity of the game...

Indoor games or 6v6 would be a bit weird to do so, obviously....

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

iajanus posted:

Yeah, running to the corner would be bizarre (except if you actually playing in front of some supporters) but :lol: at the idea that people don't celebrate to some degree in competitive leagues, at least here. Not sure what country you guys are in but here where we play 90 minute games nobody's wasting any real time having such fun, you're not being a dick unless you're actively waving it in people's faces, and we're not all robots who play only for the purity of the game...

I only play futsal but tbh I score so rarely and the only goals I seem to score are screamers so I just do a big outrageous arm movement celebration as I jog back for the kickoff

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

iajanus posted:

Sorry, dude. Anything more than high fiving a couple team mates on the way back to your own half is shoving it in their faces. The only thing that makes professional players celebrating tolerable is the fact that there is at least a couple thousand people there celebrating with them. Even then, most celebrations are pretty cringeworthy.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

iajanus posted:

I should clarify that I play 5 a side exclusively now so the scorelines can get pretty ridiculous over two hours - which makes goals less noteworthy I guess - but it was still the same when I played 11 a side.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

My mate scored a 90th minute equalizer in the last game of the season (pretty tasty free kick) that meant we went undefeated. He took off his shirt and got yellow carded haha.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
I've only ever scored one goal in a competitive match and it was a spectacular header into my own goal. Celebrated by getting subbed by the coach and put on camera duty. That was the last game I played with the seniors and I've been
tearing poo poo up in the reserves ever since.

I'm a central defender, so any celebrations beyond the high fives as you run back to the centre circle can get hosed - only exceptions I don't mind if it's a loving screamer or you can tell it's someone who's never scored

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Bunch of nancies ITT. It's sport, have some fun with it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

vulturesrow posted:

True, but celebrating lovely Sunday league goals like a world cup win is the height of tossery

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Tongues posted:

True, but celebrating lovely Sunday league goals like a world cup win is the height of tossery

What, is there a bushido code for Sunday league now? Next you're going to tell me AI have to shake hands with every single person

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Soulex posted:

What, is there a bushido code for Sunday league now? Next you're going to tell me AI have to shake hands with every single person

I enforce no rules except washing your hands directly after making GBS threads in them. I just goal-scorers since they're never me :saddowns:

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Doing some big time lols at Soulex prearranging celebrations with his team for when he scores a goal and celebrates as the crowd goes banana

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
A single reserved fist pump and a slow jog back to my own half will do.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The Big Taff Man posted:

Doing some big time lols at Soulex prearranging celebrations with his team for when he scores a goal and celebrates as the crowd goes banana

Those 12 people paid 5 bucks to get in, they are getting a show :colbert:

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Time is precious, most games we don't even get time for halftime 69

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The Big Taff Man posted:

I'm going to assume the banana singular was intentional :)

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

iajanus posted:

I'm going to assume the banana singular was intentional :)

Yes because theres only one person in the crowd!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

They're still getting a show.

Got another one where we line up like bowling pins and someone drills us with a screamer and we all fall over.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

A single reserved fist pump and a slow jog back to my own half will do.

Same here, except for one absolute screamer (in about 8 seasons in this league) after 80+ minutes of hard-scrabblin' 0-0 play where I screamed myself hoarse, and the one I scored 15 seconds after kickoff, where I just said "Oh my god!" and threw my hands up like a moron, out of surprise more than anything else.

The team we played this past weekend had a deaf guy. He was decent, except for when he "defended" by running headfirst into my gut. He seemed to get knocked down a lot, which was a little sad, because he made the absolute loudest, most pathetic noises I've ever heard. :smith:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Well I had hoped to get into a men's league here but as it turns out I live a little too fast away from Seattle to make it convenient plus my work schedule makes it tough too. My two daughters who play both made it on to select teams. The older one made it on oa team that is very good and had a lot of girls that have been playing a long time together. In the few friendlies they have played she has played every one starting at center back. The younger tried to play up an age group but was right on the bubble. However the coach of her actual age group saw her trying out and asked to have her on his team. She's been swapping between midfield and striker and has already notched a few goals (no celebrations though ;) )

On a positive note I have been able to continue coaching. I told the coaches of both teams of my coaching background and offered to help if they ever needed it. A few weeks later one of them asked if I still wanted to help as his assistant is the head coach of another team and sometimes can't make practice and games. It's been quite fun working with kids with a higher skill level. I always coached rec before because I couldn't make the time commitment to coaching select. Rec is very rewarding in other ways but this is a nice change of pace. I guess the coach I'm working with had a favorable opinion of my coaching because he asked me if I was interested in helping train a boys select team that is still looking for a dedicated head coach. Not sure if I'm going to be able to take that on or not though because I'm traveling a lot for work right now.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Well I had hoped to get into a men's league here but as it turns out I live a little too fast away from Seattle to make it convenient plus my work schedule makes it tough too. My two daughters who play both made it on to select teams. The older one made it on oa team that is very good and had a lot of girls that have been playing a long time together. In the few friendlies they have played she has played every one starting at center back. The younger tried to play up an age group but was right on the bubble. However the coach of her actual age group saw her trying out and asked to have her on his team. She's been swapping between midfield and striker and has already notched a few goals (no celebrations though ;) )

On a positive note I have been able to continue coaching. I told the coaches of both teams of my coaching background and offered to help if they ever needed it. A few weeks later one of them asked if I still wanted to help as his assistant is the head coach of another team and sometimes can't make practice and games. It's been quite fun working with kids with a higher skill level. I always coached rec before because I couldn't make the time commitment to coaching select. Rec is very rewarding in other ways but this is a nice change of pace. I guess the coach I'm working with had a favorable opinion of my coaching because he asked me if I was interested in helping train a boys select team that is still looking for a dedicated head coach. Not sure if I'm going to be able to take that on or not though because I'm traveling a lot for work right now.

There should be leagues closer to where you live. There's one where I hang out but my legs and all that poo poo.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Started playing 5-a-side in Manchester on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Tuesday's are body crushing and take place inside a gym with no air-conditioning and people who play too seriously and Wednesday's outside on astroturf with women/fats/olds who can't really play. No real point to this post, just my 5-a-side tribulations.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Clearly you posted that in the hope that I'd be free to come play with you, unfortunately I cant.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

The Big Taff Man posted:

Clearly you posted that in the hope that I'd be free to come play with you, unfortunately I cant.

Clearly you're already playing together on Wednesdays

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I am pretty easygoing about soccer and I'm no prize myself but it's such a downer to have a person on my team who is so bad that passing to them is in effect turning it over. Wow they're open again in miles of space wonder why that is, time for another pity pass? Time to forget to look that way again? It's like you have to keep a separate scoreline in your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

pangstrom posted:

I am pretty easygoing about soccer and I'm no prize myself but it's such a downer to have a person on my team who is so bad that passing to them is in effect turning it over. Wow they're open again in miles of space wonder why that is, time for another pity pass? Time to forget to look that way again? It's like you have to keep a separate scoreline in your head.

it's just part of decision making

and i'm sure other people have thought the same about you :smugissar: