Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

During the keynote they showed the test rig they set up for testing waterproofing with the S2. It looked like it emulated powerful strokes over a large time period so I am comfortable believing it'll handle an hour of laps. I probably wouldn't try to get to the bottom of the deep end of the pool, but it shouldn't flake out during regular usage.

I guess we'll see how this actually plays out once people get their units.
There was that swimmer (or water sports?) guy that tested out the original a bunch including some pressurized water box iirc and I don't think he ever killed it.

*But I don't remember if he ever tested the speaker, which I basically killed (or made uselessly tinny) by showering with it daily for a while. Maybe my mic was jacked up too now that I think about it.

Looke posted:

I can't use the Face Gallery to change my watch faces, says I need to update my watch to 3.0 - which it already is

Any ideas?
Force quit the watch app, and/or restart phone and watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Well, Best Buy hosed me. Gonna walk in somewhere and buy one.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Anyone have time machine quit working on OS3? I'm also getting phantom vibrations for some reason.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Consummate Professional posted:

Anyone have time machine quit working on OS3? I'm also getting phantom vibrations for some reason.

Time travel is disable by default but can be turned back on from the app on your phone.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Weird, I love that feature. Thanks!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I seem to be getting phantom vibrations/alert sounds since upgrading to 3.0. It'll vibrate and make some kind of sound (even though my watch is kept on mute) at seemingly random intervals, but no notifications seem to come up when this happens. Anyone else seen this or have any idea what's doing it?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I pre-ordered through Apple but cancelled it two minutes later after I pre-ordered through Best Buy with a gift card. gently caress me :(

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

suddenlyissoon posted:

I pre-ordered through Apple but cancelled it two minutes later after I pre-ordered through Best Buy with a gift card. gently caress me :(

Best Buy is the worst and I'm glad I didn't get that piss poor 50 buck gc for their incompetence. gently caress them forever.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

I seem to be getting phantom vibrations/alert sounds since upgrading to 3.0. It'll vibrate and make some kind of sound (even though my watch is kept on mute) at seemingly random intervals, but no notifications seem to come up when this happens. Anyone else seen this or have any idea what's doing it?
Yes! It was driving me nuts, but uh, I'm not sure I ever figured it out or if it's even happening anymore. I know I've been getting haptic feedback for stuff that didn't before so something with notifications might've been tweaked there. Otherwise I have some sound only stuff that might've been triggering, :iiam:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My plan is still to stake out the fruit stand here on Friday and into next week. My S2 isn't supposed to ship from apple.ca until like the 12th :smith:

I was essentially hoping that all these dates into late Sept and early Oct were Apple being needlessly pessimistic, but it looks like they just didn't plan for these numbers. Or they planned for scarcity to make it seem more in demand or something :tinfoil:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple shipping dates are always pessimistic. In every shipping thread I've seen on this forum no one has ever gotten their thing any later than initially quoted (ignoring things like FedEx/UPS being shits on official launch day and not actually knocking or whatever), and almost always seem to get them earlier (except launch day).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Apple shipping dates are always pessimistic. In every shipping thread I've seen on this forum no one has ever gotten their thing any later than initially quoted (ignoring things like FedEx/UPS being shits on official launch day and not actually knocking or whatever), and almost always seem to get them earlier (except launch day).

Well I'm banking on that, and I'm hoping that my "Oct 12-24" estimate on apple.ca is extremely pessimistic. I'd love for it to get shipped out with the BestBuy delayed orders at least, if not earlier.

I mean I guess waiting a month for a watch I've waited six months for isn't going to kill me but it's almost on my wrist :[

Going to the fruit stand and demoing a 42mm was a bad idea, just made me all the more excited to get mine.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

How do I turn breathe off? I'm not Bruce banner

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Consummate Professional posted:

How do I turn breathe off? I'm not Bruce banner

Look in settings on the Watch app on your phone.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Ah god drat it. I turned off summaries but not reminders before.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Seeing these stories about preorders is starting to make me think my assumption that Series 1 watches will be walk-in friendly on Friday was a bad one.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm curious as to how well the S1 is selling. They seem to really want a decent cheaper option.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

I'm curious as to how well the S1 is selling. They seem to really want a decent cheaper option.

If I wasn't planning on taking mine kayaking I'd probably be buying the S1. Onboard GPS is appealing but realistically I'm literally never without my phone and I don't expect that to change even when I get my S2.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

After watching that original watch at the water park video and having Best Buy gently caress my preorder I'm just gonna get a s1.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I kind of want an official nylon band since passable sport bands are all over Amazon for cheap.

If I were to buy an S1 and add a nylon band, I'd be halfway to the price difference between S1 and an S2 that can come with nylon.

There's also the chance that the S2, with its bigger battery could have longer life with GPS off. I do a lot of day trip business flights, so that could potentially come in handy for leaving the charger at home.

I can't decide.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

eddiewalker posted:

I kind of want an official nylon band since passable sport bands are all over Amazon for cheap.

If I were to buy an S1 and add a nylon band, I'd be halfway to the price difference between S1 and an S2 that can come with nylon.

There's also the chance that the S2, with its bigger battery could have longer life with GPS off. I do a lot of day trip business flights, so that could potentially come in handy for leaving the charger at home.

I can't decide.
People keep saying the S2 is slightly larger because of a larger battery, but Apple lists the S2 at having the same 18 hour life as the S1. If the battery was that much better than the S1, I imagine they'd have shouted it from the rooftops at the event. Even if it was just with the GPS, a 20+ hour battery would have been a decent selling point.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
It may have a larger battery but the extra components in it use more of it so it equals out to the same battery life as S1.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Rorus Raz posted:

People keep saying the S2 is slightly larger because of a larger battery, but Apple lists the S2 at having the same 18 hour life as the S1. If the battery was that much better than the S1, I imagine they'd have shouted it from the rooftops at the event. Even if it was just with the GPS, a 20+ hour battery would have been a decent selling point.

One of the only leaks last month was photos of a new battery at 20% larger capacity than gen1. Of course, we'll have to wait for someplace like iFixit to confirm, but I figure Apple wouldn't release new run times with a "better life without using all of the promised features" asterisk.

If I'm not using GPS and indoors not using super-bright mode, maybe there will be more ways to stretch the S2 in a day.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don't follow rumors, but isn't it possibly premature to assume you can turn off just the GPS? I may be mistaken, but I don't think there are separate controls right now for Bluetooth and wifi.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don't follow rumors, but isn't it possibly premature to assume you can turn off just the GPS? I may be mistaken, but I don't think there are separate controls right now for Bluetooth and wifi.

John Gruber's review said it was seamless switching: phones GPS when present, watches when phone is gone and location is necessary.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Looke posted:

I can't use the Face Gallery to change my watch faces, says I need to update my watch to 3.0 - which it already is

Any ideas?

Force-quit the Watch app and relaunch it. Did the trick for me.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I've waited until Gen 2 to see if I want to grab an Apple Watch today. I figure I'll go and test them out and see if my impulse buy switch kicks in.

My stupid question is, with watchOS, are all the Apps separate (like OSX and iPad/iPhone), universal like iPad/iPhone or a mixture?

For example, I own Fantastical 2 and it states "Offers Apple Watch App". Do I need to repurchase it for my watch? By no means a deal breaker after dropping $400, but more of prioritizing apps and whatnot.

Also, I think I read that all apps are supposed to be optimized/watchOS native post watchOS 3?

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
All the Watch apps I've seen are included with their parent iOS apps.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there any fancy step to swap your watch from an old phone to a new one or do you need to reset and start over?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What that means is that the App has Watch poo poo built in. Using your example, if you bought Fantastical, when it installs it on the phone, the phone will send the Watch app poo poo to your watch automatically (auto install can be disabled). There's no separate apps like what you're thinking.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
There are a few iOS apps that charge extra for their watch counterpart via IAP. The most notable one is Carrot Weather. The dev claims that all the automatic updates a watch gets cost him more with his weather data provider than phone users

That seems to be a rare situation, and I prefer Dark Sky because I don't need my weather app having a sense of humor.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there any fancy step to swap your watch from an old phone to a new one or do you need to reset and start over?

reset and start over (at least for pairing and the like); although there is a backup you can restore from the Watch app, it doesn't seem to cover everything.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah going through that now. I completely forgot the watch had backups too.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Thanks for the replies re: watch apps. Doesn't matter though. All watches and iPhones are sold out at all 3 PDX Apple Stores and Carrier stores.

Crazy for a relatively small city.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

According to a fruit stand employee, they'll begin allowing in-store reservations tomorrow morning at 8am. So I guess you can order online for in-store pickup, pending availability.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How does the alarm work? Is it haptics or will it make a noise? If I silence my phone, can I just get haptics?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rorus Raz posted:

How does the alarm work? Is it haptics or will it make a noise? If I silence my phone, can I just get haptics?

The watch has its own silent mode and will just do haptic if that's on.

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010
I did go to the Apple Store and got a 42mm size Series 2. The price for series 2 is pretty hefty but i'm loving the Watch so far.

I did go for a few laps in the pool at work today and it tracks what i'm doing in there perfectly.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Martytoof posted:

According to a fruit stand employee, they'll begin allowing in-store reservations tomorrow morning at 8am. So I guess you can order online for in-store pickup, pending availability.

They've just done that here in Australia. Every Apple Store in the country is listing the watch as unavailable for pickup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The series 2 is a huge improvement in speed.

• Locked thread