Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Tindahbawx posted:

These Blackjacks are really nice, picked up the BJ-1X seeing as it was on sale and it absolutely shovels out the damage.

Definitely going to buy a couple more of these while they're cheap and max them out. What other variants are decent?

You can shove an AC20 on the BJ-1

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=77&l=939201a7cd72de394599636045b4a588dc4ea32b is fun as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
You can do lots of things

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Tindahbawx posted:

These Blackjacks are really nice, picked up the BJ-1X seeing as it was on sale and it absolutely shovels out the damage.

Definitely going to buy a couple more of these while they're cheap and max them out. What other variants are decent?

The 1 has the least hardpoints but doesn't have the reduced yaw the 1DC has. There are only four options anyhow so you're not gonna be bad off in any choice.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

ZenVulgarity posted:

I have four LRM15s on my timberwolf

me too

Elliotw2 posted:

have you considered trying a fun loadout

also i deeply enjoy when my 3ml 2srm4 rvn-3l is top damage

its more fun in solo drops where no one pushes, and usually if you try to brawl you get primaried and die instantly.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

Idk man I don't think the 2LL contribute much there. Since they're so low-mounted you're not gonna get to use them unless your whole mech is exposed and the mechs you're firing at at that range probably have a lot more than 2LL to fire back at you

Then when you get close they force you to stare at an enemy so they don't sync up well with your ac20/srms, and they're hot so they make you overheat quicker, and they force you to downgrade to SRM4s so you're not getting as much of a knockout blow

I agree on the ac20 ammo bit. Three tons is enough
Good points. I haven't touched any of these builds in 1+ year, pretty much when they rolled out UI 2.poo poo and made the mechlab awful to use.

1 LL and switch the SRMs to 6s?

Is artemis worth it for SRMs?

Maybe I'll switch it up tonight.

Is it crazy that I'm looking forward to playing this game again tonight? and skipping a night at the bar with friends? jesus christ... :pgi:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Don't run SRMs without Artemis.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

DOMDOM posted:

Good points. I haven't touched any of these builds in 1+ year, pretty much when they rolled out UI 2.poo poo and made the mechlab awful to use.

1 LL and switch the SRMs to 6s?

Is artemis worth it for SRMs?

Maybe I'll switch it up tonight.

Is it crazy that I'm looking forward to playing this game again tonight? and skipping a night at the bar with friends? jesus christ... :pgi:

Bait and Swatch posted:

That's what I figured. The SRMs hit like a truck, but the AC20 is usually gone in the first trade of the brawl, so I am questioning the space it costs compared to the actual use I get out of it. Is theLBX 10 at all useful, or is it better to just get better lasers?

so here's why I think you should both go AC/20 and 3 ASRM6 and either nothing else or two medium lasers

An Atlas D-DC with those weapons has a 58 damage alpha. An Atlas-S with the extra ASRM6 is 71 damage

when you come around the corner in an Atlas, your job is to pick a robot and deliver that entire alpha into his CT, twist away, then repeat until he's dead. Your AC/20 should last long enough for you to do this at least three times, more if you're lucky.

Most robots will die after two of these alphas. All of them with few exceptions will go down after three. Sometimes not all the SRMs will hit the CT, so you want as much extra pinpoint as possible when doing this.

Using a large laser means that you have to use a smaller engine, which is bad because you can't twist to protect yourself as fast, or smaller SRMs, which is bad because a 45-point alpha is a lot less scary than a 58-point alpha. Using an LBX-10 means that 20-point shot which all goes to one component is suddenly a 10-point shot, only about 7 or 8 of which will hit the same component

if you find yourself losing the AC/20 after one shot, the solution is to either lead with your left shoulder or be more aggressive about twisting. If you ever play in a match with Kazvall, spectate how he plays the Atlas -- he twists like crazy and only stops long enough to let loose with the big guns

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
oh and Warhammer quirks are out

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/219540-countdown-to-the-warhammer-release-4-days-left/

looks very tanky

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I tried running an LBX-10 on one of my lovely variant Atlases while getting their skills ground out, and I really didn't much care for it.

The AC20 does die fairly quickly against anybody who knows what they're doing, but I end up being rather free with my shots to make up for it. If it's likely going to be rendered useless, why not burn that ammo? And if someone turns a corner into your face, they're going to have a bad, bad time. AC20 to punch into internals makes it fairly easy to blow a torso out pretty much immediately. AC20 -> all the SRMs -> VICTORY.

Plus, IS AC20 hits are probably the most satisfying thing in the game. Especially in those rare occasions where a light mech is playing grabass with some guys on your team and doesn't realize he's ended up in a straight line with you. They absolutely disintegrate under that kind of assault.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Does Artemis have any trade-offs in the style of Ferro or Endosteel? I admittedly did not look very hard but it seemed like just a C-bill tax?

e:

Zaodai posted:

Plus, IS AC20 hits are probably the most satisfying thing in the game. Especially in those rare occasions where a light mech is playing grabass with some guys on your team and doesn't realize he's ended up in a straight line with you. They absolutely disintegrate under that kind of assault.
While mastering the KGC I turned the 000B into a dual Gauss, dual ERPPC monster by re-using the XL340 from that free Cicada. One-shotting a completely fresh Raven is like a delicious peach.

frest fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 15, 2016

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Artemis launchers take up 1 more slot and weight 1 more ton.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Drakes posted:

Artemis launchers take up 1 more slot and weight 1 more ton.

I think (hope) he was referring specifically to atlas/heavy builds

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The question is what the hitboxes are going to be like. I have a nasty suspicion that it's going to be a walking torso and the structure quirks will be needed.

Still, +20CT is nothing to sniff at.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Do PPC quirks apply to ERPPCs?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

The question is what the hitboxes are going to be like. I have a nasty suspicion that it's going to be a walking torso and the structure quirks will be needed.

Still, +20CT is nothing to sniff at.

yeah, and some nice ballistic quirks

I think the Black Widow is basically gonna be a CTF-4X except with high mounts

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PPC quirks without PPC heat. :(

Ice Fist posted:

Do PPC quirks apply to ERPPCs?

Generally, no, but you don't want to boat ERPPCs anyway because they are literally the worst weapon in the game right now.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Lemon Curdistan posted:

you don't want to boat ERPPCs anyway because they are literally the worst weapon in the game right now.

What if I told you that I am literally the worst?

*he said with a hand full of ERPPCs and a twinkle in his eye*

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 15, 2016

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
kitting her out right now, thanks for the detailed explanation.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Generally, no, but you don't want to boat ERPPCs anyway because they are literally the worst weapon in the game right now.

:pgi:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I spectated this thing today.

Today has been a wonderful day for spectating terrible builds and or piloting.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

DOMDOM posted:

kitting her out right now, thanks for the detailed explanation.

cheers. it takes some getting used to because you can't do anything beyond a few hundred meters, but it wins games on its own if you're patient

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I like ppcs. >: (

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
too many lrms in the pubby queue

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Time to stick close to your ECM buddy. Or waste tonnage on AMS umbrella.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Bentai posted:

Time to stick close to your ECM buddy. Or waste tonnage on AMS umbrella.

walk behind a wall or something!

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Banano posted:

~light mech stuff~

Rock, thanks, gonna give it a spin with an XL 265 and an extra 100 rockets since I frequently run out. It's still slightly faster than it was before I had speed tweak on the XL 280, so it's something I'm already used to.

I assumed that with the hero variant Black Widow having ER PPCs equipped and PPC quirks they worked together, but welp.

Sard fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 15, 2016

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

What if I told you that I am literally the worst?

*he said with a hand full of ERPPCs and a twinkle in his eye*

You need to get your literally worst self back in mech jabber :colbert:

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

I love how its all bound to the same fire group.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Tindahbawx posted:

Doesn't that always show up that way in spec

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Tindahbawx posted:

that's how it shows up when you spectate unfortunately

it is still an inexplicably bad robot that would lose to any other robot at any range

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Tindahbawx posted:

Spectator isn't indicative of what he has bound. Sorry. No love for you.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Doesn't that always show up that way in spec

Pattonesque posted:

that's how it shows up when you spectate unfortunately

it is still an inexplicably bad robot that would lose to any other robot at any range

Endbuster posted:

Spectator isn't indicative of what he has bound. Sorry. No love for you.

Jesus gently caress. We are such faggots. :suicide:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

mashed_penguin posted:

You need to get your literally worst self back in mech jabber :colbert:

There's a 100% chance that I will not get in Jabber.

I do hang out in Mumble when I play this bad game though.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Just had a game on Terra Therma where, despite it being Assault and there being no reason to enter the butthole, my entire team lined up single file to enter said butthole where the enemy team was already holed up and died horribly. I tried to tell them to ignore it and hit their base to force them to confront us somewhere else, but...pubbies.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Always rush the butthole.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

There's a 100% chance that I will not get in Jabber.

:negative:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/688139921383534592?s=09

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

I imagine by scaling they mean adjusting the size of the mech indicative to the tonnage it's suppose to represent?

E: I thought they were going to remodel the Catapult?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Stringbean posted:

I imagine by scaling they mean adjusting the size of the mech indicative to the tonnage it's suppose to represent?

E: I thought they were going to remodel the Catapult?

yeah, making them smaller

all the robots on that list are way oversized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Atlas Talk.
I do not recommend the DADlas for pubbie games.

Seriously when the S was first released I had no idea what to do with it but it had a cbill boost so I wanted to use it. I made the ultimate pubbyBot.

1 AC20
1 Narc
1 Lrm20 or 15
4 mls
whatever engine would fit after ammo
Bind the ac20 and narc to fire together

Literally printed money in the solo q.

This was pre quirks and pre ghost heat on 4 srms.

Do not build this robot now or ever. or anything resembling it.

• Locked thread