Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Zamujasa posted:

Security Fuckup Megathread - v14.1 - "command and control to major fuckup"

fixèd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/briankrebs/status/912791399619284992

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

and there's still four days left of september :getin:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

and there's still four days left of september :getin:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

ground zero day

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Wasn't this poo poo the reason we all got chip cards?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sonic BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mrmcd posted:

apparently their systems still didn't have emv enabled as of january this year, so that might still be the case

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

are we at this point yet?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

mrmcd posted:

oh is it time for this derail again

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

flakeloaf posted:

oh is it time for this derail again

I mean yeah supposedly the chips are also garbage, but breaking them at least takes effort, as opposed to 'even a brain dead Russian mafioso mule can hoover up and clone a bajillion numbers in one go' that you get with mag stripe.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

mrmcd posted:

I mean yeah supposedly the chips are also garbage, but breaking them at least takes effort, as opposed to 'even a brain dead Russian mafioso mule can hoover up and clone a bajillion numbers in one go' that you get with mag stripe.

Chips have been out in the wild for like a decade in the EU, Russians have long cracked and economized the process of stripping card data.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Midjack posted:

sonic BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Step back, Bluetooth’s about to skim your number!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've been to a sonic once and all I remember are these weird 80's looking ordering terminals with just magstripe.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

no one should be surprised but twitter's new 280 char limit is only checked client-side

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

no one should be surprised but twitter's new 280 char limit is only checked client-side

"For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing-you who dread knowledge-I am the man who will now tell you." The chief engineer was the only one able to move; he ran to a television set and struggled frantically with its dials. But the screen remained empty; the speaker had not chosen to be seen. Only his voice filled the airways of the country-of the world, thought the chief engineer-sounding as if he were speaking here, in this room, not to a group, but to one man; it was not the tone of addressing a meeting, but the tone of addressing a mind.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pikavangelist posted:

Step back, Bluetooth’s about to skim your number!

holy poo poo.wav

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

"For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing-you who dread knowledge-I am the man who will now tell you." The chief engineer was the only one able to move; he ran to a television set and struggled frantically with its dials. But the screen remained empty; the speaker had not chosen to be seen. Only his voice filled the airways of the country-of the world, thought the chief engineer-sounding as if he were speaking here, in this room, not to a group, but to one man; it was not the tone of addressing a meeting, but the tone of addressing a mind.
not quite that interesting, more that anyone can tweet to 280 characters, the old 140 limit is only enforced via javascript

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

not quite that interesting, more that anyone can tweet to 280 characters, the old 140 limit is only enforced via javascript

ah, gdmamit

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

"front end web development"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ErrataRob/status/912904724063641602

lol it works too

https://twitter.com/BonzoESC/status/913040604233211907

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the longtweets look surprisingly hideous

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the longtweets look surprisingly hideous

turn up your brightness

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

schranz kafka posted:

"front end web development"

it's hard to imagine lower security stakes than someone sending a long tweet

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Id even bet someone in Twitter is using the number of people that use the web dev tools to get access as a success/interest metric

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pr0zac posted:

Id even bet someone in Twitter is using the number of people that use the web dev tools to get access as a success/interest metric

I would take that bet. they know interest is basically 100% (more is better).

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Immanentized posted:

Chips have been out in the wild for like a decade in the EU, Russians have long cracked and economized the process of stripping card data.

i know the data on the magstripe can be skimmed/shimmed just fine from chip n pin setups, but afaik it can't be used to create another chip card? just a dumb magstripe one?

so chip n pin is more secure when it's ubiquitous and using the stripe is such an anomaly that it attracts antifraud attention

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

https://twitter.com/gsuberland/status/912995921952157696

:classiclol:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also can now 100% confirm that the contractor i was talking about previously did not know anything about SSL, or how it worked, or how to use it :toot:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/security/banking/ these are good reads

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

coffeetable posted:

i know the data on the magstripe can be skimmed/shimmed just fine from chip n pin setups, but afaik it can't be used to create another chip card? just a dumb magstripe one?

so chip n pin is more secure when it's ubiquitous and using the stripe is such an anomaly that it attracts antifraud attention

america isn't implementing chip and pin, we're implementing chip and sign
but wait, you ask, doesn't that only make it harder to clone and not actually improve any other security what so ever
you would be correct

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

duz posted:

but wait, you ask, doesn't that only make it harder to clone and not actually improve any other security what so ever
you would be correct

To bounce off of this, it's all about risk transference and less about mitigation.

Chip and PIN means the issuers, processors, etc assume more of the risk liability and burden in the even of data exposure or a card breach (PIN is on their part, it's a user-input that is validated by the issuer/acquirer).

Chip and Sign is the card holder using really weak validation to effectively make their mark (a 5000 year old method of validation, that offers no deterrence or assurance features). Everybody on the backend is effectively let off the hook completely.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

duz posted:

you would be correct

moving from stripe to chip reduces fraud in a way that saves the most money

moving to mandatory pin increases support costs, increases friction for the user (which means they'll be less likely to swipe and less likely to generate transaction fees) and isn't thought to be as good at saving money because of that

security is fundamentally a business decision

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Immanentized posted:

To bounce off of this, it's all about risk transference and less about mitigation.

Chip and PIN means the issuers, processors, etc assume more of the risk liability and burden in the even of data exposure or a card breach (PIN is on their part, it's a user-input that is validated by the issuer/acquirer).

Chip and Sign is the card holder using really weak validation to effectively make their mark (a 5000 year old method of validation, that offers no deterrence or assurance features). Everybody on the backend is effectively let off the hook completely.

IIRC the big push for Chip and PIN in Europe was that it was "secure", so when someone got their account drained it was obviously the customer's fault for not keeping their PIN protected well enough. So there was no risk liability for the banks or processors at all.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ymgve posted:

So there was no risk liability for the banks or processors at all.
What? Where I live, by law anything you didn't approve isn't your responsibility (this covers skimming, etc), and anything up to 48 hours before you reported your card physically stolen also isn't your problem.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ymgve posted:

IIRC the big push for Chip and PIN in Europe was that it was "secure", so when someone got their account drained it was obviously the customer's fault for not keeping their PIN protected well enough. So there was no risk liability for the banks or processors at all.

yep

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

ymgve posted:

afaik the liability shift was from card issuers to retailers

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

coffeetable posted:

afaik the liability shift was from card issuers to retailers

Right, that's the Validation bit. Note how the authorization still happens as usual, but I left out authentication. I''m being rather vague as I'm side posting in between summit noes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

evil_bunnY posted:

What? Where I live, by law anything you didn't approve isn't your responsibility (this covers skimming, etc), and anything up to 48 hours before you reported your card physically stolen also isn't your problem.

same here

• Locked thread