Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
It's like a Ford Futureliner. I like the oversized bolt-and-gear emblem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

boxen posted:

So, I don't have a source for this that's not :filez:, but for anyone who likes goofy engine designs, look for a book called "Some Unusual Engines" by an author with the last name of Setright.

It was written in 1975 and has been out of print for I don't know how long, but it's full of interesting and oddball internal-combustion engine designs that were tried over the years. I was talking to some coworkers today about goofy designs. In the past I found where some dude uploaded it to his website, but if you ever find a copy, check it out.

Excerpt:

Anyone who reads this thread and considers themselves a car nerd but doesn’t know who LJK Setright is is either a: a poser not a car nerd or b: in desperate need of spending some time reading.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'd lean more towards the latter, but wouldn't be surprised at all at people not knowing about an English author who did most of his work half a century ago.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Godholio posted:

I'd lean more towards the latter, but wouldn't be surprised at all at people not knowing about an English author who did most of his work half a century ago.

Many of us were burned after reading "Lucas: A Study in Quality Control for Electrical Components".

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Stripped down Grand Marquis, that's about to donate everything from the firewall forward to a 1964 Cabover of some kind. He said there's no build thread online so hopefully we find it eventually.

I said "what are you doing" and got "just washing my car!"

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Godholio posted:

His stuff used to appear in American mags regularly. In the 1990s, too.

Anyway he’s worth checking out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drgitlin posted:

Anyway he’s worth checking out.

Another automotive writer worth checking out: https://seatsafetyswitch.com/

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I feel one needs to add Elon Musk in that category as well.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I have Setright's Guinness book and his Turbocharging and Supercharging book... somewhere. Possibly at my mother's house.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

drgitlin posted:

Anyone who reads this thread and considers themselves a car nerd but doesn’t know who LJK Setright is is either a: a poser not a car nerd or b: in desperate need of spending some time reading.

ok pistonheads boomer

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

drgitlin posted:

So....25 years ago.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

drgitlin posted:

I dno man. When posed with the hypothetical question of if he could spend a very specific 540,000 dollars on cars, what would he get? He blew it all on a Bristols and Hondas.
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/features/opinion/ljk-setright/how-ljk-setright-would-spend-540000-on-cars-car-magazine-archive-june-1994/

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 10, 2019

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

He blew it all on a Bristols and Hondas.

Exactly. Mad bugger used to try driving with his left foot doing the accelerator and brake, and the right foot doing the clutch, too.

If that’s not automotive insanity I don’t know what is.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

2CV with a custom fibreglass body. I'd drive the hell out of it

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Holy poo poo that rules. I must build one.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
1964 Volvo 122s with a Cummins diesel. Click for huge

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/547052439209984/

Sorry about the Facebook marketplace link, hopefully it still works after cutting off the like paragraph of referrer text after the url, but

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I live this, but oh my god, those windscreen wipers are tiny.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/547052439209984/

Sorry about the Facebook marketplace link, hopefully it still works after cutting off the like paragraph of referrer text after the url, but

wrong thread, IMO.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Qmass posted:

wrong thread, IMO.

:wrong:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chunky tires on small cars is always awesome, hth.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Qmass posted:

wrong thread, IMO.

Yeah nah this is the right thread for that

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Offtoady Miatas are a blast

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

is offtoad like ratrod?

offroad any car owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSaKHmHCJhI

owns so hard.

In fact, I just bought some jeep things for my car and i really hope they fit. :colbert:

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Can't wait for an overlanded out ratrod

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Wrar posted:

Offtoady Miatas are a blast

It's kinda like an updated version of a Baja bug

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/ferio_252/status/1196687375394467843

THAT INTERIOR

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'd have to put the KITT lights in the front of that thing. I'd also probably be making laser shooting sounds constantly while driving.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Of course, that Blazer XT-1 concept basically turned into the Dustbuster vans after the bean counters were done with it.
edit: holy poo poo it had 4-wheel steering.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

NOW I see where GM got the inspiration from for the C8 Corvette interior!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

needs more buttons IMO

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Powershift posted:

needs more buttons IMO

Paging... well, you?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Thor24 is finally done.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/18/thor24-3400-horsepower-semi-truck-custom/

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I doubt it actually gets driven much, but the view out the windshield has to be pretty much non-existent.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And somehow, exactly what i want to see when i look out a windshield.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Craptacular posted:

I doubt it actually gets driven much, but the view out the windshield has to be pretty much non-existent.

According to the article it has cameras and screens inside the cab to see where you are going. I got a chuckle with what they used for an APU. As in, gently caress it, rest of it is over the top, let's toss a turbine in. Along with Lambo doors.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I assume that the stacks are the exhaust for the turbine, since the engine has FREAKING ZOOMIES THAT APPARENTLY BREATHE FIRE.
Also: official site: http://thor2471.com/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
7 million dollars

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

"property developer"

... tax the rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'd have a lot less problem with the rich if they did cool poo poo like this with their money instead of hiring underage hookers for their private jets.