Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Iirc Wsl 1 was also just a byproduct of MS developing and cancelling a system call compatibility layer intended for running android apps on windows phones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
nope that's still being developed. if you're running windows 11 you can use the android subsystem

https://github.com/microsoft/WSA

e: https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9P3395VX91NR?hl=en-US&gl=US

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 5, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also it's been a really long time but i'm pretty sure interix used ELF binaries, so there had to be kernel support for them back then too

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

lol welp. only comment i have here is that i think WSL1 is still being actively developed? it at least was an option not too long ago

ah maybe i've never used it. looks like it only dates back to 2017 so i figure they found out pretty quickly that their approach was just going to be chasing corner cases forever. maybe they can hire some freebsd developers to help 'em out, looks they're still working on linux(4)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

shackleford posted:

ah maybe i've never used it. looks like it only dates back to 2017 so i figure they found out pretty quickly that their approach was just going to be chasing corner cases forever. maybe they can hire some freebsd developers to help 'em out, looks they're still working on linux(4)

2017 was 6 years ago OP.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

also it's been a really long time but i'm pretty sure interix used ELF binaries, so there had to be kernel support for them back then too

the NT kernel doesn't even have support for PE binaries, why would it support ELF binaries?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pseudorandom name posted:

the NT kernel doesn't even have support for PE binaries, why would it support ELF binaries?

ok, so the subsystem i guess?

like sorry for making a semantic mistake about the nt kernel in the linux thread

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

paging hackbunny!!

i wish :sigh:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

ok, so the subsystem i guess?

like sorry for making a semantic mistake about the nt kernel in the linux thread

no, its microkernely enough that processes assemble other processes in userspace

not microkernely enough to parse and render TrueType fonts in userspace, though, lol

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

2017 was 6 years ago OP.

lol the CPU in my primary laptop is a skylake chip :corsair:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

lol the CPU in my primary laptop is a skylake chip :corsair:

lol showing my full rear end here, my primary desktop is haswell

but my primary laptop is comet lake. still kinda old i guess

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Woolie Wool posted:

I for one can't believe Linux made it for almost 20 years on what was essentially a glorified version of AUTOEXEC.BAT :lol:

hate to break it to you but virtually every minicomputer multiprocessing system ran scripts in their respective native command language after their kernel started or image was loaded and used those to manage startup of subsystems using separate processes

this is really an early 1960s operating system concept that’s still in use today, like time-sliced timesharing, memory protection, virtual memory, and virtualization as a whole

(structured programming got off the ground in the same era)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, the reason why rc scripts are called that is because it's short for RUNCOM, a facility implemented in CTSS in the early 1960s - and so far as I remember, it was added to run commands automatically on system start-up.

Another 60s thing that's slowly making a comeback in Unix is real (not POSIX) hardware-enforced capabilities.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 7, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
any of you linux janitors have a decent "how 2 openstack" and/or "how 2 kubernetes" guide? looking at applying on a job where they use both to some extent

normally I wouldn't go learn a handful of new techs for a job application and possible interview, but it'd be a 30% raise and is a union gig at a university, so y'know

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

time to patch

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Kazinsal posted:

any of you linux janitors have a decent … "how 2 kubernetes" guide?

you wanna ping jonny290 on this. he's been taking a posting hiatus but you could always try a PM, his twitter or bluesky

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

where the ffs fucks at

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nudgenudgetilt posted:

where the ffs fucks at

Fun File System

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

saving this one for the "get out of here with your bleeding-edge distros and newfangled filesystems, all you need is good ol' debian stable and ext4" crowd

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

Fun File System
gently caress Files, poo poo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I read the upstream docs from the kubernetes project, they seem fine. Make sure you don't ever use Helm for anything because it is poo poo from an rear end.

If you want to actually deploy a new cluster in prod then that is a different matter.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

NihilCredo posted:

saving this one for the "get out of here with your bleeding-edge distros and newfangled filesystems, all you need is good ol' debian stable and ext4" crowd

don't forget the 'use a real filesystem that doesnt have data corruption, like ext4' crowd :D

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

NihilCredo posted:

sid stays winning

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Beeftweeter posted:

sid stays winning

on that note I'm happy to report that most of the kde packages in fedora rawhide have been updated to plasma 6 and I'm now daily driving it

the worst bug I have encountered so far is that the extract/compress menu options have disappeared from the file manager's right click menu, which is not exactly a devastating issue

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

quote:

Severity: grave

:rip:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Debian is bad, don’t use Debian. I don’t know if this was a “Debian loving around with source code” bug or a legit kernel bug.

If it’s the former: LOL.
If it’s the later: I hope new Torvalds relapses for a bit and tears the heads off of whoever merged that poo poo code.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

FlapYoJacks posted:

Debian is bad, don’t use Debian. I don’t know if this was a “Debian loving around with source code” bug or a legit kernel bug.

If it’s the former: LOL.
If it’s the later: I hope new Torvalds relapses for a bit and tears the heads off of whoever merged that poo poo code.

it has a link to lkml discussion and it sounds like it's not debian's fault, my vague and probably wrong impression is they introduced some new kernel feature that multiple fs drivers needed to be updated for, and ext4's implementation came with a subtle bug

no torvalds explosion in what i saw sorry

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if i were a kernel developer i would simply never introduce any bugs into my code

skill issue tbh

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

FlapYoJacks posted:

Debian is bad, don’t use Debian.

I’m using Debian right now op

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
trip report: it’s bad :negative:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
guess i skipped over that update. update procrastinators stay winning

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Soricidus posted:

trip report: it’s bad :negative:

Should have used Fedora or RHEL. :smug:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BobHoward posted:

it has a link to lkml discussion and it sounds like it's not debian's fault, my vague and probably wrong impression is they introduced some new kernel feature that multiple fs drivers needed to be updated for, and ext4's implementation came with a subtle bug

afaict it's not, it's a kernel bug that just happens to impact debian stable

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FlapYoJacks posted:

Should have used Fedora or RHEL. :smug:

i like apt and dpkg. i haven't seriously used fedora in probably about 20 years (beyond maybe trying a liveboot once or twice) but back then package management wasn't as easy so i'm assuming that has not changed

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

BobHoward posted:

supposedly he doesn't do that sort of stuff any more after he did drugs or CBT or whatever back in 2018

https://www.zdnet.com/article/linus-torvalds-on-state-of-linux-today-and-how-ai-figures-in-its-future/ posted:

Now for Torvalds, "being there all the time is not a problem because I love doing what I'm doing. I was on vacation a few months ago, and I have my laptop. And if I hadn't had my laptop with me, I would have been so bored. It is what I do. But I realized that's not the life for everybody, especially when you have to put years of your life into this."

It's also something Torvalds has had to learn to be better at as well. "Code is easy to write. You have a right answer, and you have a wrong. People relationships are hard, and being able to work with other developers and maintainers, especially when you have maintainers that work on different things with different goals. They want to push their area in one direction, and another maintainer comes in from another area and wants to pull it in another direction. It can be very stressful."

In 2018, Torvalds decided to pull back from his angry young man stance. He took a break from the Linux kernel to work on his behavior toward other developers. After he got a handle on it, Torvalds returned to the kernel. He's been much more mild-tempered since then. As he mentioned in Tokyo, he won't be "giving some company the finger. I learned my lesson."

To sum it up, Torvalds said, "It's one of those things where a lot of people seem to think that open source is all about programming, but a lot of it is about communication, too. Maintainers are the ones who translate. I don't necessarily mean language. I mean, the context, the reason for the code. That makes for a tough job. But, if you want to be a maintainer, trust me, there's room at the top."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

i like apt and dpkg. i haven't seriously used fedora in probably about 20 years (beyond maybe trying a liveboot once or twice) but back then package management wasn't as easy so i'm assuming that has not changed

You would assume wrong.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
dnf is a million times better than apt. thats an accurate metric i measured it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

Can confirm.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Mr. Crow posted:

something named "did not finish" doesn't sound like it's very good at installing things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

something named "did not finish" doesn't sound like it's very good at installing things

Dandified Yum