Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Enentol posted:

Looks seriously great, dude. Would love to see what you could do with some jungle Stealth Suits.

Thanks so much! Yeah stealthsuits are definitely coming, though I'm itching to do a big battlesuit, so maybe a Ghostkeel next...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hey guys, I need a favor. Back in 2007 I bought some Chaos Space Marines, and one of the bits was a head with a blindfold over the eyes and a sewn together mouth. Do any of you guys have this bit? I will pay you for it. I need it for a conversion.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

jadebullet posted:

Hey guys, I need a favor. Back in 2007 I bought some Chaos Space Marines, and one of the bits was a head with a blindfold over the eyes and a sewn together mouth. Do any of you guys have this bit? I will pay you for it. I need it for a conversion.

Is it this one? Second on the left: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Chaos-Mutations

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Second on the right is exactly the one I am looking for.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

jadebullet posted:

Second on the right is exactly the one I am looking for.

Wtf brain, I did mean right not left haha. Not sure where you're located, but found one on ebay from France if that's any good: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KM11-TETE-BANDEAU-MUTATION-CHAOS-WARHAMMER-40000-BITZ-/200526380215?hash=item2eb04dbcb7:m:m_-Qy-kJ2VKx57BOAFh4nKQ

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Thanks man. I have no problem with buying from France. The other part of the conversion is coming from Poland. :sterv:

Speaking of which. Is there anything that makes sawing through metal easier? Chopping the head off of a metal space Marine made my fingers hurt where it pressed into my hand, and my hand cramped up. My latest project is going to have me hacking a Penitent engine drive apart because I need the Sororitas from it in order to quiet the conversion inspiration in my head. Would putting it in very hot water for a bit work?

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 8, 2016

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

LordAba posted:

Too bad grenades work on a per model basis, and not with the whole squad. Honestly nids can get around grenades pretty easily, so it only really matters on genestealers.

Well gently caress me running, boss; my group has always played that as "unit," & the point comes up so seldom that it stayed that way. BRB disagrees. :shrug:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I had a bunch of those mutation bits up until like six months ago. I sent them all to a goon to help out with some Blood Bowl conversions.

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Does anyone know what book this illustration (by Paul Dainton, I think) appears?

EDIT: Everyone's happy for that guy being lifted up, but I assume the cyber-cherubs are just looking to supplement their protein intake.

Boon posted:

3rd edition rulebook I think

Four Score posted:

I am 90% sure that's in 4th. The remaining 10% chance is that it's in my Horus Heresy artbook I'm too lazy to get up and check
Yeah, looks like 4th edition to me. It could've very easily been (re)used somewhere else, but I think that's what it was in originally. Definitely not from the 3rd edition rulebook. They were still using a ton of 2nd edition art in that thing. Maybe something like Demon Hunters or Witch Hunters codexes? That'd put it at the tail end of 3rd.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yeah, that's 4th Edition's rulebook. It has a lot of cool pictures like that.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Had trouble taking a good pic

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Something a bit different to my Ultras today, painting up some jungle-themed Tau. Here's the first Pathfinder, a test model of sorts for the colour scheme and basing and all that.

This guy's seriously dope. I'd paint the base rim brown though - either a similar neutral brown to the fatigues he's wearing, or Rhinox Hide for a darker brown, but I feel like that could overpower the mini. I really like the look of him, that's a solid scheme.

jadebullet posted:

Thanks man. I have no problem with buying from France. The other part of the conversion is coming from Poland. :sterv:

Speaking of which. Is there anything that makes sawing through metal easier? Chopping the head off of a metal space Marine made my fingers hurt where it pressed into my hand, and my hand cramped up. My latest project is going to have me hacking a Penitent engine drive apart because I need the Sororitas from it in order to quiet the conversion inspiration in my head. Would putting it in very hot water for a bit work?
I feel like if you're spending that much on just the head you may as well just get the whole sprue from GW if you can find uses for all those squiggly bits. As for cutting through metal, the best way to do it is to get a razor saw:
http://www.amazon.com/Xacto-X75300-Precision-Razor-Saw/dp/B00004Z2U4
I've used one of these a bunch.

Tonight I spent 45 minutes trying to find my pot of old Dark Flesh and unfortunately I think it's lost forever. Hopefully the new GW equivalent is really close, since I've got a lot of leather to highlight on these Kommandos.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Also get a modelling vice/vise so that you aren't cutting into your hand, :wtc:

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

3rd edition rulebook I think

Four Score posted:

I am 90% sure that's in 4th. The remaining 10% chance is that it's in my Horus Heresy artbook I'm too lazy to get up and check

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, looks like 4th edition to me. It could've very easily been (re)used somewhere else, but I think that's what it was in originally. Definitely not from the 3rd edition rulebook. They were still using a ton of 2nd edition art in that thing. Maybe something like Demon Hunters or Witch Hunters codexes? That'd put it at the tail end of 3rd.

jadebullet posted:

Yeah, that's 4th Edition's rulebook. It has a lot of cool pictures like that.

I had an opportunity to nose around, and it is indeed in the 4th edition. Thanks, all of you!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
After spending some time on other forums, I just wanted to stop by and say you're all awesome and this is still the best 40k/30k resource online. I would rather melt my minis than play games with most of the alpha grogs in this hobby.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Uroboros posted:

Had trouble taking a good pic

Looking good dude. How are you doing that flagstone effect on your bases?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

SRM posted:

This guy's seriously dope. I'd paint the base rim brown though - either a similar neutral brown to the fatigues he's wearing, or Rhinox Hide for a darker brown, but I feel like that could overpower the mini. I really like the look of him, that's a solid scheme.

Thanks man. And thanks for the tip on the base rim, I'll try a couple of different browns on the next one I finish and see how it looks.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So I will have Overkill in my sweaty, greasy hands in a couple of days. I sold all the marines and got the 'Stealers almost for free so in a way I feel justified in giving GW money.

I feel bad though for the guy who runs Macrocosm Miniatures because he made some pretty sweet not-Genestealer Cultists that nobody will buy any more. I bought some and they are nice and pretty good quality for a small supplier. Maybe some of you anti-GW types who fancy a 'Stealer Cult will buy from him? This is me attempting to atone for my sin.

Fake edit: He also sells Scrunts.

Real edit: Holy poo poo he also sells Stealer Hybrid Scrunts :aaa:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Speckled Jim posted:

Looking good dude. How are you doing that flagstone effect on your bases?

Custom bases from Dragonforge. Couple grey layers, shade in the cracks, dry brush with a bright white.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

ineptmule posted:

Also get a modelling vice/vise so that you aren't cutting into your hand, :wtc:

Haha, don't worry, I wasn't cutting into my hand. What I meant was that me holding the piece down by pressing it onto the cutting mat was causing all of the pointy bits of the metal model to dig into my hand. I need to pick up a vice at some point though.

I actually have a really nice razor saw, the only issue is that it takes forever to cut through the pewter. It might be because I am using the blade with tiny teeth, but the more aggressively toothed saw binds too much.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Funny convo today with some friends:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
So a player from my local store has offered to join me for our 2v2 1000pt each game and he's bringing an Optimized Stealth Cadre. 3 Ghostkeels w/ 2 Stealth Drones each, and two units of 6 XV25 Stealth Suits a piece. Wall of Mirrors seems pretty nasty. I will be bringing Necrons to provide staying power and backline objective holding with Illuminor Szeras, three units of 10 Necron Warriors, 8 Necron Immortals, a Ghost Ark, a Nightscythe, and a Triarch Stalker. Bunching the units together provides 4+ RP to all models, rerolls on morale checks, +1BS, and +1BS/T/S to one unit. Seems like a pretty solid team up and uses one of the nastier Formations you don't get to see very often. I look forward to gesticulating wildly and yelling "Waaaalll of Mirrrroorrrrsss!" in tandem like some kind of grognard Ginyu Force.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
Looking to get back into the hobby. Are there any good tutorials to help me learn how to airbrush?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Is there any effective counter to the optimized stealth cadre? It seems like they can use wall of mirrors every shooting phase, which is silly as gently caress.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Uroboros posted:

Is there any effective counter to the optimized stealth cadre? It seems like they can use wall of mirrors every shooting phase, which is silly as gently caress.

Well, as far as Monstrous Creatures go, Ghostkeels are not all that tough. T5 W4 Sv3+ and Feel No Pain (with two drones) isn't anything to sneeze at, but standard shooting will kill them pretty quickly. Just like everything else Tau, force them to make morale checks and/or lock them into combat and they're done for. If you're using them right you've infiltrated them near enough that the opponent can likely reach them if they want to. The Formation is really quite powerful and the only to stop them is to kill them.

I really do like the wording on Wall of Mirrors, like you'd ever choose not to use it. The unit "can" use the power and "if you choose to do so" you get special powerful upgrades with no downsides whatsoever.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pawl posted:

Looking to get back into the hobby. Are there any good tutorials to help me learn how to airbrush?

Just about everything you need is here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692#post442594539

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uroboros posted:

Be happy your opponent is playing a list that takes a pile of taxes for a short ranged special rule in an army of downtown ignore cover shooting?

Just Shoot/charge them. They have to be pretty close to be effective and they are pretty fragile. Or just blow up the stealth suit tax they have to take.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Naramyth posted:

Be happy your opponent is playing a list that takes a pile of taxes for a short ranged special rule in an army of downtown ignore cover shooting?

Just Shoot/charge them. They have to be pretty close to be effective and they are pretty fragile. Or just blow up the stealth suit tax they have to take.

Seriously, I have no idea why everyone thinks the Cadre is so overpowered. Shoot them, charge them, or demoralize them. They have all of the standard Tau weaknesses while not even really packing that much firepower in return.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Phyresis posted:

Seriously, I have no idea why everyone thinks the Cadre is so overpowered. Shoot them, charge them, or demoralize them. They have all of the standard Tau weaknesses while not even really packing that much firepower in return.

I wouldn't say it's overpowered, it's powerful if they get the first punch in, just like every other Tau glass-cannon. Shooting back armor and ignoring cover truly wrecks most vehicles pretty quickly, and that's the primary use as far as I can tell. I'm sure we'll get a match up against three Wraithknights and that will go swimmingly for the plucky Tau cadre. The ally game is more about a time to try fun gimmicks than about a truly coherent strategy.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Yeah, having played the formation pretty extensively, it's not bad at all. Looks nasty on paper, but it simply isn't a lot of firepower from a six hundred point unit.

Riptide wing, on the other hand...

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

It seems like shooting would be nearly pointless if there are ruins for them to hide in, not to mention having the ability to force snap shots, which if there is a unit of 3 them they can all rotate their countermeasures.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Uroboros posted:

It seems like shooting would be nearly pointless if there are ruins for them to hide in, not to mention having the ability to force snap shots, which if there is a unit of 3 them they can all rotate their countermeasures.

Don't forget they double cover saves if the firer is outside 12" - It's a 2+ save most of all the time.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

raverrn posted:

Don't forget they double cover saves if the firer is outside 12" - It's a 2+ save most of all the time.

Encourages me to work on getting more Scouts painted. I had a really positive experience with my Storm recently forcing blind tests on Necrons left and right. A Demi-Company with 10th Company auxiliary to make a Gladius could be a lot of fun. I've spent so much time painting fancy vehicles and elites I've realized I'm about 25 tacticals short of what I need along with another 10-15 scouts.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Tau suits are immune to Blind. But hilariously the Stormsurge isn't!

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
"Hey let's design our biggest battlesuit yet, but then leave it open-topped"

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

raverrn posted:

Tau suits are immune to Blind. But hilariously the Stormsurge isn't!

Well yeah, the stupid thing doesn't even have an enclosed cockpit for the pilots. They don't have blacksun filters, one of them isn't even wearing a loving helmet. Jesus christ this model is an abomination

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Neither is the super suit, I spent most of a game darkfire cannon-ing one just to keep it blinded.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Brother-Sergeant Arturius casually chucks a frag grenade into the open cockpit of the monstrous KV128 Stormsurge standing before him. The pilots are instantly shredded.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Can anyone comment on these lists? Context is a 4-person team where each team member will play with each other over 5 rounds. Team leader (LoW may onle be taken by team leader) will always play opposing team leader.

Each team member takes 1000 points limited to 1 HQ, 1 Elite, 1 FA, 1 HS and 1-3 Troops. Additionally, each member may select one of the following but no team member may select the same option.
- +1 HQ
- +1 Elite
- +1 Fast Attack
- +1 Heavy Support
- Assassin
- Lord of War (less than 500 points, team leader only)
- Formation (less than 500 points)

Team: Eldar, Eldar, White Scars, Necrons

Leader - LoW:
Farseer on bike

X5 Wraithguard in Wave Serpent

X3 Scatterbikes
X3 Scatterbikes

X6 Warp Spiders plus x1 Exarch

Wraithknight with the D

Member - Formation
Farseer on jetbike with Stone

X4 Scatterbikes plus Warlock
X4 Scatterbikes
X4 Scatterbikes

X2 Hornets w Pulse Laser

Aspect Host
- x5 Warp Spiders
- x5 Warp Spiders
- x5 Warp Spiders

Member - + Fast Attack
Destroyer Lord w Scythe

X5 Immortals in Night Scythe
X5 Immortals in Night Scythe

X6 Wraiths
X5 Wraiths

Member - +1 Heavy Support
Librarian lvl 3

X5 Terminator w Psycannon

Stormraven

Dreadknight w Leap Thing and Psycannon
Dreadknight w Leap Thing and Psycannon

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Feels like you are light on bodies, what are the mission types?

Also, formation finished!

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

raverrn posted:

And? It's like a squad of Nurgle Terminators. If your shooting can't handle cover (either ignoring/reducing it or by weight of fire) you are probably playing something that can wreck them in close combat.

If you can't do either you have some larger issues with your list.

• Locked thread