Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

Nah, you just think that anyone who doesn't always agree with you is an enemy, that's the way it always is with you and several other posters here and not just over this issue. I mean I have a mental illness and it means I sometimes do think this way, but I Know its wrong to do so and work to avoid such thoughts, or saying them on here.

You are someone who wants to hurt people who have suffered greatly through anti-abortion bullshit, which includes family members of mine. You have no empathy or care for other people.

You, literally, want to tell a woman she is is obligated to carry her rapist's child and you'll never acknowledge that. You'll just whine about 'it's life' and not care about the life you're ruining.

So no. You don't get to play the "why don't you treat me nice?" card. You don't get treated nice because you tell women who were raped they are obligated to undergo 9 months of shame, humiliation, suffering and pain because you know what is better for them than they do.\

Edit: And there's no difference of opinion here. I clarified this. You believe women who are raped don't deserve to have any say over their body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Gyges posted:

So right now is this more or less accurate for the "in play" Senate race?

Democratic Darkness:
Wisconsin
Illinois
Indiana

Lean Democratic:
Nevada
Pennsylvania

Could Go Either Way:
New Hampshire
North Carolina

Probably Republican:
Missouri
Florida
Arizona

Safe Republican:
Iowa

Missouri seems like it's closer to the could go either way camp. At least in recent polling. In my heart, I know Roy Blunt we'll win and that sucks.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

And calling people murderers for undergoing medical procedures, even if you don't agree with them, doesn't make me want to be nice to you.

Well you and tiny brontosauruses are always being assholes doesn't make me want to change my mind. In fact I was saying her story made me think. But what do you know, you both decided to be even bigger assholes.

Maybe you and her could learn something from Talmonis. Not that you will you two have always been assholes no matter what the issue is.

ImpAtom posted:

You are someone who wants to hurt people who have suffered greatly through anti-abortion bullshit, which includes family members of mine. You have no empathy or care for other people.

You, literally, want to tell a woman she is is obligated to carry her rapist's child and you'll never acknowledge that. You'll just whine about 'it's life' and not care about the life you're ruining.

So no. You don't get to play the "why don't you treat me nice?" card. You don't get treated nice because you tell women who were raped they are obligated to undergo 9 months of shame, humiliation, suffering and pain because you know what is better for them than they do.

You know you don't treat someone worse when they start to listen at all what their saying? I may be a vulture but at least I'm not a self righteous rear end in a top hat like you three are.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 20, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Gyges posted:

So right now is this more or less accurate for the "in play" Senate race?

Democratic Darkness:
Wisconsin
Illinois
Indiana

Lean Democratic:
Nevada
Pennsylvania

Could Go Either Way:
New Hampshire
North Carolina

Probably Republican:
Missouri
Florida
Arizona

Safe Republican:
Iowa

there's also california which is 100% guaranteed to go blue, since both candidates on the ballot are democrats.

but harris is most likely gonna win

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crowsbeak posted:

Actually I did, and it is giving me a place to think. > Note being poo poo heads to people doesn't actually convert them. Just thought you might want to know.

Well i don't wish anything horrible to you. Maybe you should have less hate in your heart.

Nothing except infinite agony, should my body betray me the way my sister-in--law's did hers. But the real tragedy here is your hurt feelings.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Crowsbeak posted:

Nah, you just think that anyone who doesn't always agree with you is an enemy, that's the way it always is with you and several other posters here and not just over this issue. I mean I have a mental illness and it means I sometimes do think this way, but I Know its wrong to do so and work to avoid such thoughts, or saying them on here.

I'm very much your enemy and I really do hope horrible things happen to you. If it ever came to pass that I could in some way facilitate your suffering, I would do it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Well you and tiny brontosauruses are always being assholes doesn't make me want to change my mind. In fact I was saying her story made me think. But what do you know, you both decided to be even bigger assholes.

Maybe you and her could learn something from Talmonis. Not that you will you two have always been assholes no matter what the issue is.
Man, nobody gives a gently caress if you change your mind. Who cares? Lots of people are lovely people, nobody expects you to not be lovely. Go live your lovely life. Enjoy yourself. Go out in the sun.

Lamb Chowder
Oct 5, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Themagicalgoat posted:

Such callousness!

*Eats the body of a cow and farts*

If you are a vegetarian or vegan, congratulations for being a strawperson.

People don't conceive their burgers. Not even Chris Christie.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Mister Adequate posted:

"Of course I can. They must have been sinners, or God would have answered. "

No-one reads the book of Job because it's long and depressing.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
That anti-choice politicians repeatedly frame late abortions as solely some kind of recreational birth control is the most frustrating aspect of the argument to me. There are plenty of reasons why something like that happens, and like a previous poster mentioned, it's almost never voluntary. One of my girlfriend's hobby buddies had a wanted pregnancy that, tragically, needed to be terminated due to a congenital defect that assured she was going to have a stillbirth.

Of course, Governor Jindal had just finished publicly palling around with the Duck Dynasty crew and passing a new batch of abortion restrictions, so you can guess what happened. It's infuriating that they would hurt so many people with that kind of torture to fight a willfully misconstrued "enemy".

Edit: looks like the discussion reached an end while I was posting. Carry on

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crowsbeak posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about what opinions rattle around in your diseased and hateful mind

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Man, nobody gives a gently caress if you change your mind. Who cares? Lots of people are lovely people, nobody expects you to not be lovely. Go live your lovely life. Enjoy yourself. Go out in the sun.

Why do people keep responding? It, like everything else in life, is pointless.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Gee, if you were nice, maybe I'd change my mind!" Who gives a poo poo. Either you agree with the points or you don't, who cares if they make you feel good to read.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

D&D is such an echo chamber we can't have threads about police abuse because it's highly offensive to certain people. Bitching about it is the lamest thing.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

tumblr hype man posted:

If you add nine months to that you get 21 years, they are saying that if fetuses are people from conception why do we measure from birth?

Most people do not know their own dates of conception. Not everyone is in a uterus for 9 months. Then there's embryos who are frozen and then implanted at a later date.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I wasn't married yet so she wasn't quite my sister-in-law, but we were already family and she was expecting her first child. My first niece. I bought one of those little baby towels with the hood and little teddy-bear ears, and her name embroidered on it. You can get teddy bear ears on pretty much anything for babies these days.

Her husband is in the military so they have to live where he is told. It's almost never somewhere they would choose. We joked that the baby would be born with a southern accent, and look down on her parents for being liberal coastal elites. They chose green paint for the nursery, because girls don't always have to be swaddled in pink, and anyway what if it turned out to be a boy somehow - babies can surprise you.

Early in the third trimester my niece went into distress. Her husband reassured my mother-in-law on the phone, joking about the hospital's m.o. being "hurry up and wait and see," and she reassured him back that babies just like to scare you sometimes, it's usually fine. He called back a few hours later. We all bought plane tickets.

Home in LA she would have been fine. It would have been awful, but it would have been over. But in that Republican shithole she had to wait for her body to finish killing her baby. We had to sit with her and wait until she became mother to a corpse.

You two bullies, you vultures, you take your lies and your perverted morals that justify torture. You go live those twenty hours. You contemplate suicide. Listen to those righteous christian nurses calling you a murderer for wanting your suffering to end.

I can imagine, just barely, having to wait twenty hours while my child slowly died. I can imagine the sounds of a hospital, especially the sounds of a maternity ward, and imagining hearing over the PA every time a baby was born alive, knowing my baby would not be, is heartbreaking. It would be heartbreaking even at one remove, as someone's sister-in-law. It doesn't change my belief that your niece's death shouldn't have been hastened, unless your sister-in-law's life became endangered. I'm sure you'd say this makes me an empathy-less vulture; it'd be understandable if you did.

There's no excusing the nurses calling her a murderer, not to her face, not behind her back, not in a conversation with someone else years later, though, not even if she hadn't had to wait and had chosen to have her dying child delivered immediately, but especially since she did have to do so. That is appalling; not as appalling as the situation itself, but appalling nevertheless.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Crowsbeak posted:

Instead of making a broad issue about you, maybe understand where someone's anger is coming from, that perhaps they're passionate about something important. It sucks getting put on blast, but if your reaction is usually/always this defensive, you're gonna fail to grow in a lot of situations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

Why do people keep responding? It, like everything else in life, is pointless.
Haha, yeah, this real argument that anyone is making. I hear you, brother. I hear it!

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!
Tiny Brontosaurus.

I am so goddamned sorry your family had to experience that.

I am so sorry that y'all were treated so horridly by those nurses.

I am so grateful that you managed to weather that, and I hope your sister-in-law has managed to remain as healthy as she can, as well.

You're a good dude. Y'all didn't deserve to be treated like that. She didn't deserve to be treated like that.

My deepest condolences, and warmest well-wishes to you and yours.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lamb Chowder posted:

Are you anti-choice AND a Lost Cause apologist? Holy poo poo dude.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
According to a single google poll with 40% undecideds Kentucky is about as much in play as Florida.

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Lamb Chowder posted:

The person I was responding to was talking about empathizing with other peoples' fetuses, not ones' own. Cows have faces and communicate their pain when it is repeatedly and cruelly inflicted on them.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Haha, yeah, this real argument that anyone is making. I hear you, brother. I hear it!

...what?

I think you think I was making a joke or something?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Lightning Knight posted:

What about empathy for women who need abortions? For the woman who would love to be a mother if she wasn't so poor and knew she couldn't provide for the child? For the woman who loses a child to birth defect or miscarriage? How can we possibly understand the depth of that agony?

Being anti-abortion - desiring a world where less women need or want abortions because we give them the true freedom to choose and they can choose motherhood without worrying about it - means being pro-choice. Full stop.

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with from what I said. I am pro-choice. 100% and forever, regardless of whether or not it's something I see as tragic. It's not my choice to make, and never should be.

Crowsbeak posted:

Don't bring me up mate. Your views are horrid and result in suffering across the world.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah I hate it when people like having rights over their own bodies, bunch of assholes. Keep fighting the good fight Crowsbeak we're all counting on you to stand up to the vast abortionist conspiracy.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

zonohedron posted:

Most people do not know their own dates of conception. Not everyone is in a uterus for 9 months. Then there's embryos who are frozen and then implanted at a later date.

I can imagine, just barely, having to wait twenty hours while my child slowly died. I can imagine the sounds of a hospital, especially the sounds of a maternity ward, and imagining hearing over the PA every time a baby was born alive, knowing my baby would not be, is heartbreaking. It would be heartbreaking even at one remove, as someone's sister-in-law. It doesn't change my belief that your niece's death shouldn't have been hastened, unless your sister-in-law's life became endangered. I'm sure you'd say this makes me an empathy-less vulture; it'd be understandable if you did.

There's no excusing the nurses calling her a murderer, not to her face, not behind her back, not in a conversation with someone else years later, though, not even if she hadn't had to wait and had chosen to have her dying child delivered immediately, but especially since she did have to do so. That is appalling; not as appalling as the situation itself, but appalling nevertheless.

But it sure excuses you calling her a murderer, apparently? Somehow everything you do is okay.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Actually I can't think of any goons that have truly lived, but I'm open to being surprised.

I went to France once and published a novel recently :kiddo:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
*gets out big rear end megaphone like in an old cartoon about college sports* "people who drink liquids are loving idiots"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chokes McGee posted:

congrats

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

zonohedron posted:

That doesn't make sense. If you believe it was wrong to terminate a non-viable fetus because it would be ethically wrong, isn't it murder? That makes her a murderer.

If abortion is murder than women who get abortions are murderers. If you don't believe that nothing about your position makes sense.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bassetking posted:

Tiny Brontosaurus.

I am so goddamned sorry your family had to experience that.

I am so sorry that y'all were treated so horridly by those nurses.

I am so grateful that you managed to weather that, and I hope your sister-in-law has managed to remain as healthy as she can, as well.

You're a good dude. Y'all didn't deserve to be treated like that. She didn't deserve to be treated like that.

My deepest condolences, and warmest well-wishes to you and yours.

I am a lady and thank you :shobon:

The whole family is okay now. There is some commemoration for the death of the first grandchild, which I know makes some goons go "poison womb lol lol lol," but ritual is part of healing and everybody has to do what they can to get by.

Chokes McGee posted:

This is huge! How are you managing to restrain yourself from starting every post with "As a published novelist, I..."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

...what?

I think you think I was making a joke or something?
I thought you were just making a weird strawman argument. Evidently not.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

"Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye. The World English Bible translates the passage as: You hypocrite!"
Matthew 7:5

quote:

You know you don't treat someone worse when they start to listen at all what their saying? I may be a vulture but at least I'm not a self righteous rear end in a top hat like you three are.

ironicatgrowingeverbiggerforalltimeuntilitencompassesallofcreation.gif

Lamb Chowder
Oct 5, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Lightning Knight posted:

Are you anti-choice AND a Lost Cause apologist? Holy poo poo dude.

Hey bud try not to see everything someone says as raising the standard for some particular ideology but rather a more careful assessment of the issue and it's particulars. I know you're 21 so this may not be natural yet, but your body is still changing.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Maybe we could talk about politics instead of arguing about abortion? Maybe we could talk about Trump's statements today? I think they'll be enough to persuade republicans not to make a fuss and will generally prevent last night from hurting him much.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

But it sure excuses you calling her a murderer, apparently? Somehow everything you do is okay.

I don't think that every anti-abortion person thinks that abortions in cases where the fetus isn't viable counts as murder.

edit: How did this happen? HOW DID I JOIN THE CONVERSATION? WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME I WANNA TALK ABOUT POLLS AND STUFF

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 20, 2016

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I thought you were just making a weird strawman argument. Evidently not.

Nah. Just saying that arguing with someone whose mind is THAT made up is kind of a waste unless it's just something you enjoy doing at this point. The everything else in life was more a jab at my own nihilistic thought tendencies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

Maybe we could talk about politics instead of arguing about abortion? Maybe we could talk about Trump's statements today? I think they'll be enough to persuade republicans not to make a fuss and will generally prevent last night from hurting him much.

... The part where he said he'd accept the results if he won?

Because that was arguably worse than last night.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

isk posted:

Instead of making a broad issue about you, maybe understand where someone's anger is coming from, that perhaps they're passionate about something important. It sucks getting put on blast, but if your reaction is usually/always this defensive, you're gonna fail to grow in a lot of situations.

I actually was willing to listen, but then not when people are saying I deserve to die. Which Tiny did in fact say.

Also Tiny, that is a tragedy that happened to your sister in law. Still doesn't change the fact you're a horrible rear end in a top hat. Also frankly if you act this way in real life don't be surprised if failure accompanies you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ogmius815 posted:

Abortion is politics. If you think it isn't you're either a man or an rear end in a top hat

• Locked thread