Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

dietcokefiend posted:

Well I feel pretty confident, but this will hit me after about 4 hours of riding, which is beyond anything I have done to date. Decent waterproof rain gear, ABS on the bike for anything slick I might encounter, and high winds are nothing new at least in this area. So far only scattered thunderstorms, no mention of hail. Even if there were I am not sure it would be that bad.

If you're confident in your abilities then never look back. I did 3+ hours with about 1k miles under my belt, and loved every bit of it, even rained a bit. Just don't make the same mistake I did and drop your bike in the mud at a gas station :v: Also if it gets bad just hang out at a gas station/fast food/etc for a bit.

EDIT: Never look back, and post pics

EDIT2: Pedantry :colbert:

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Do it. Riding in thunderstorms puts hair on your chest.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
gently caress it, I'd go for it.

I'm also stupid.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Z3n posted:

I'm also stupid.

Well dammit! I had you pinned as the reasonable level headed one. Who's going to be my role model now?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

blugu64 posted:

If you're confident in your abilities then never look back. I did 3+ hours with about 1000k miles under my belt, and loved every bit of it, even rained a bit. Just don't make the same mistake I did and drop your bike in the mud at a gas station :v: Also if it gets bad just hang out at a gas station/fast food/etc for a bit.

EDIT: Never look back, and post pics

1000k ey? God you are a semi driver of motorcycle riders :v:

8ender posted:

Do it. Riding in thunderstorms puts hair on your chest.

So since I have only a tank bag to carry clothes.... extra boxers, extra shirt?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Also put your mobile in a zip lock because everything in your pockets is going to get damp.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

dietcokefiend posted:

In ziplocks yes, also don't forget clean dry socks. Find a dufflebag, zipties, and some bungie, and you'll have all the storage space in the world.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

8ender posted:

Also put your mobile in a zip lock because everything in your pockets is going to get damp.

But my jacket has waterproof pockets :smug:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Methusulah posted:

Well dammit! I had you pinned as the reasonable level headed one. Who's going to be my role model now?

Don't...Don't use me as a role model. I become more of a jackass hooligan the more I ride. I'm angry at my ZZR because it's too long a wheelbase to wheelie easy, whenever I get on the g/f's Z1000, the front wheel's off the ground at least once, even if I'm only going a mile, I don't ride the twisties because I'll invariably ride like a twat...

I'm a horrible rider. I just do it while no one's looking, ya know? It's sad how much more responsible a rider I was 2 years ago...

Plus, I really like riding in the rain. A motorcycle counts as grounded, right? It's got rubber wheels and poo poo. I have no idea if this is true or not, but it's what I say to myself when lighting strikes and I'm on the bike :xd:

I do ride fairly safe because I know when to act like an idiot and when not to, but...I still shouldn't be doing that poo poo. :v:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

8ender posted:

Its also good to make sure you're in the right gear for the corner. You should be in a gear where you can quickly accelerate to tighten up the turn if you're going wide. Nothing sucks worse than loving up a corner setup and realizing that you're going too slow in fifth gear to tighten it up. Ask me how I know :(

I'm not familiar with the accelerating to tighten up a corner. Can you tell me what the thinking behind this is?

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

dietcokefiend posted:

My old boss travels with a fanny pack. Sadly to say, it is a fanny pack. But anyway, he just carries the extras while he cleans whatever he's wearing at a coin-op.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I got some nice Pirelli Sport Demons for my Yamaha Maxim 750. Is it hard to remove the rear wheel from a shaft-driven bike? If I bring the bike to a shop to have a shop remove the wheels and mount tires, what would be a reasonable price?

No, they come off very easily.

Z3n posted:

I'm also stupid.
I'd do it too. I also claim to be crazy, not stupid. As long as I don't need to be clean and dry on arrival, I'll ride through almost anything.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Z3n posted:

I do ride fairly safe because I know when to act like an idiot and when not to, but...I still shouldn't be doing that poo poo. :v:

Double post, but I do this in my [lol] plymouth breeze. I know when I can punch it and run up to 90 and when not to. Responsible riding/driving is what it's all about and I feel ya. But mostly, all I've read from you is valid advice about starting on a 250 and wearing gear, etc. This forum is the reason I finally decided to get a bike after a lifetime of longing, and I love it. I'll be taking a trip to the east coast to see my brother provided i have the finances. Next summer I'll be riding to the west coast. Gotta meet up with some cool peeps.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I'd forgo the tank bag and just have a duffel bag wrapped up in a garbage bag, strapped behind me. Hey, we can't all afford nice luggage, mmkay? :)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

What I love about touring is that suddenly any bed becomes /the best bed ever/, even if it's a KOA vinyl bed and you don't have sheets and are using your smelly jacket as a makeshift pillow. Ditto everything really.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Methusulah posted:

My old boss travels with a fanny pack. Sadly to say, it is a fanny pack. But anyway, he just carries the extras while he cleans whatever he's wearing at a coin-op.

Funny you should mention this.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3765

I just remembered I had that. Should allow me to carry a pair of pants and extra shirt easy, and bonus is that it has a waterproof rain cover. The thing also loops around the seat under the fender to make a really secure fit.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I use a trash bag INSIDE my luggage. The luggage won't flap or make noise, or tear.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Nerobro posted:

I use a trash bag INSIDE my luggage. The luggage won't flap or make noise, or tear.

not as cool as having what looks like a bag of trash bungied to your bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

^^^^^ or looking like a giant bag of trash with a helmet going down the road :xd: ^^^^

Methusulah posted:

Double post, but I do this in my [lol] plymouth breeze. I know when I can punch it and run up to 90 and when not to. Responsible riding/driving is what it's all about and I feel ya. But mostly, all I've read from you is valid advice about starting on a 250 and wearing gear, etc. This forum is the reason I finally decided to get a bike after a lifetime of longing, and I love it. I'll be taking a trip to the east coast to see my brother provided i have the finances. Next summer I'll be riding to the west coast. Gotta meet up with some cool peeps.

Glad to hear you decided to get into it. You'll know the first time you go out on your own if it's for you.

If you make it out to my part of the world, drop in and say hi. Besides, I can't be responsible...responsible people don't have holes in their shoes because they refuse to buy new ones because that 50$ could be spent on a bike that won't be running for at least a month. :neckbeard:

I'm gonna add that nero's suggestion of wrapping your inside stuff in a trashbag is a good one.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

dietcokefiend posted:

Funny you should mention this.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3765

I just remembered I had that. Should allow me to carry a pair of pants and extra shirt easy, and bonus is that it has a waterproof rain cover. The thing also loops around the seat under the fender to make a really secure fit.

It kind of reminds me of army butt packs. I've got a mil-sim vest I've been considering using for long haul rides. Plenty of pockets for water bottles/etc, and setup for a camelback should I get one. Plus, it's digi-camo, and would probably look really rad on the road.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Since my only camera rig right now is worth about 2k with lenses, my lovely camera phone is all that will be taking pictures the way there. But so far I have been able to pack all my clothes in my super fanny pack. Tank bag will carry extra pair of socks, and something to clean my visor during the trip. Wish me luck :q:

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Z3n posted:

Glad to hear you decided to get into it. You'll know the first time you go out on your own if it's for you.

If you make it out to my part of the world, drop in and say hi. Besides, I can't be responsible...responsible people don't have holes in their shoes because they refuse to buy new ones because that 50$ could be spent on a bike that won't be running for at least a month. :neckbeard:

Haha, good to hear. I've got my permit, and I've ridden with my buddy steve. (If you read my posts in "post your own ride" he's the grandpa with the hayabusa.) His brother got the zx-14 'cause i mean, one-up-manship is the name of the brotherhood game. But anyway, it's been really cool riding with them. They tell me when to turn in traffic conditions and coach me about stuff. I can't wait for the MSF course, and to get out on my own. It's a very zen experience and one I can't help but feel at home in. I got my first "wave" from a biker the other day and I just instantly fell in love with riding.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

dietcokefiend posted:

Since my only camera rig right now is worth about 2k with lenses, my lovely camera phone is all that will be taking pictures the way there. But so far I have been able to pack all my clothes in my super fanny pack. Tank bag will carry extra pair of socks, and something to clean my visor during the trip. Wish me luck :q:

Good luck! Tank bags are also useful for maps, gotta find the best route, eh?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Go forth, young rider, and be retarded like the rest of us. Good luck!

Methusulah posted:

Haha, good to hear. I've got my permit, and I've ridden with my buddy steve. (If you read my posts in "post your own ride" he's the grandpa with the hayabusa.) His brother got the zx-14 'cause i mean, one-up-manship is the name of the brotherhood game. But anyway, it's been really cool riding with them. They tell me when to turn in traffic conditions and coach me about stuff. I can't wait for the MSF course, and to get out on my own. It's a very zen experience and one I can't help but feel at home in. I got my first "wave" from a biker the other day and I just instantly fell in love with riding.

Oh, right! I forgot about that. Too many posts in a day, ya see ;)

I'm glad to hear you've got a good mentor, it'll really help your learning curve. Don't neglect the books, too. Having a mentor to help explain the concepts and work with you can help you improve by leaps and bounds.

There's so many things I love about just being on a bike. Even riding through the pouring rain, I'm still happy that I'm on a bike. It's a goddamn adventure. Maybe the last one we can really get into today's world.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Methusulah posted:

It's a very zen experience

At the risk of coming off like Pirsig, the realization I'm a thousand miles from anyone who knows my name, while cleaning my chain in clifton arizona after taking a quick nap in the parking lot of a gas station, was perhaps the most 'spiritual' experience I've ever had.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 24, 2009

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Getting with the spirit of the thread, why is it that dual sport bikes have the front wheel angled to the right instead of the left when on the side stand? Is it a balance issue? I just don't know what to google to try and find an answer...

edit:

blugu64 posted:

At the risk of coming off like Pirsig, the realization I'm a thousand of mile from anyone who knows my name, while cleaning my chain in clifton arizona after taking a quick nap in the parking lot of a gas station, was perhaps the most 'spiritual' experience I've ever had.

poo poo yeah, that's pretty much what I'm looking for in life.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Methusulah posted:

poo poo yeah, that's pretty much what I'm looking for in life.

Pimping my own trip report but I don't care, this changed my life.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3100232

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 24, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Methusulah posted:

Getting with the spirit of the thread, why is it that dual sport bikes have the front wheel angled to the right instead of the left when on the side stand? Is it a balance issue? I just don't know what to google to try and find an answer...
It doesn't matter. :-) It's just the direction the rider put the wheel when they got off the bike. I usualy leave my forks centered.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

blugu64 posted:

Pimping my own trip report but I don't care, this changed my life.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3100232

Oh hell yes. Gonna read this on my lunch break tomorrow. Company paid trip= loving awesome.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Chairon posted:

This might be a bit subjective, but where would a good place to be to practice my Panic stops? Is it illegal to just find some lonely road and do it there? I've worked hard to not have gotten a ticket since i've been driving, I don't wanna start now.
my MSF instructor said whenever he entered a spacious parking lot he'd practice a panic swerve. it may look stupid but it's probably a good idea. swerving is less intuitive than just grabbing the brakes and deserves some practice too.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Well leaving in an few hours probably around lunch time. For those of you with an iPass, can that thing just be stored in a jacket pocket to work, or does it need to be out?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

dietcokefiend posted:

Well leaving in an few hours probably around lunch time. For those of you with an iPass, can that thing just be stored in a jacket pocket to work, or does it need to be out?

When I signed my motorcycle up, I asked the lady. She said you can keep it in your pocket. I know I did that once, but I didn't check the records to see if it actually picked up. I rode through them last week without having the iPass at all trusting them to pick up my license plate to bill me accordingly.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Uthor posted:

When I signed my motorcycle up, I asked the lady. She said you can keep it in your pocket. I know I did that once, but I didn't check the records to see if it actually picked up. I rode through them last week without having the iPass at all trusting them to pick up my license plate to bill me accordingly.

If it's anything like the toll system in DFW I just let them photo my plate, as per their instructions. They've billed me for three times in the last six months.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

Plus, I really like riding in the rain. A motorcycle counts as grounded, right? It's got rubber wheels and poo poo. I have no idea if this is true or not, but it's what I say to myself when lighting strikes and I'm on the bike :xd:

Pssstttttt.....

air is an insulator, remember?

But when you put lightening bolt levels of energy into the air, it becomes a conductor.

You wet tires are going to undergo the same magical transformation if a bolt from the blue finds you. If miles of air won't save you, a couple inches or rubber sure won't.

As I tap this out, keep in mind that I have been in the middle of thunderstorms with ground strikes hitting all around me. It makes a guy feel very small and yet very large at the same time.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
What's the best way to make an old seat comfortable again? Take it to an upholstery place to get new foam? My GS400's seat makes my rear end ache an incredible amount after just an hour, its not unlike sitting on a wood seat.

I ask this because I might uh, get it running again real soon. Shhh.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

MrZig posted:

What's the best way to make an old seat comfortable again? Take it to an upholstery place to get new foam? My GS400's seat makes my rear end ache an incredible amount after just an hour, its not unlike sitting on a wood seat.

I ask this because I might uh, get it running again real soon. Shhh.

I had this problem with my YDS3 when I was restoring it and amazingly I found someone that pours new seat foams that match the originals. Its worth taking a look around.

Otherwise you can always hit your local textiles store and see if they have some foam you can cut and shape to match the original. You'll need the most dense foam you can find.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
I am pretty inexperienced as I've only owned a single bike. A single lovely out of tune rat bike. But it's getting better as I learn to fix more poo poo. Anyway now I'm trying to diagnose it's really slow return to idle. I've read vacuum leak and lovely throttle cable, but I'm not really sure how to check either of these.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
What tank bag would someone recommend for a 2006 ex250? I've been wary of buying a tankbag online without getting some input first. (all the local dealer has are Joe Rocket mini mantas) I've been thinking of the Tour master tb-12. Is this big or small? I don't have any kind of perspective on size, and I don't want something too big for the bike.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Riding in severe weather isn't that bad. I rode for 30 minutes in a storm so nasty that the rain was blowing sideways, the spaces under overpasses were packed with stopped cars, and traffic in the freeway was going like 30mph. The bike ran fine and always felt stable and I felt very comfortable driving faster than the speed of traffic. As long as you have decent rain gear so you don't get cold and hypothermic, and you avoid lightning, you will be just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

IAMKOREA posted:

I am pretty inexperienced as I've only owned a single bike. A single lovely out of tune rat bike. But it's getting better as I learn to fix more poo poo. Anyway now I'm trying to diagnose it's really slow return to idle. I've read vacuum leak and lovely throttle cable, but I'm not really sure how to check either of these.

Vacuum leak is pretty easy. Warm the bike up and let it idle. Then spray some WD40 across the rubber boots that go from the airbox to the carbs. If the idle jumps then you've got an air leak somewhere.