Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GreyPowerVan posted:

They did join one of the leagues IRL though. I'm guessing you're protestant and in the protestant league?

Nope. I'm Catholic and not part of either league. The Ottomans are my rival and am I theirs, plus I just took a huge chunk of territory from them (some I kept for myself, some I gave to my vassal The Mamluks) so that may explain it, but it's still grating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The league isn't like an alliance or coalition thought right...you can fight them without fighting the whole league.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In fact them being in a league might be good for you because they'll get drawn into the thunderdome and oyu can attack them.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The colonial game has changed so much, even from when I last bothered around CoP. MY absolute favourite thing is that almost all colonial powers prefer to focus their efforts on a single area, so you end up seeing stuff like big Portuguese brazils etc. Makes it real easy for the player to just go full retard with colonial policies and poo poo all over everything. I am the only power in Louisiana, Eastern US and I have the most provinces in the Caribbean and Canada while STILL getting all the trade company merchants from west africa to the moluccas. MEanwhile Portugal is getting beaten up by mega brazil. Fun stuff. The onoly annoying thing is getting pulled into old world wars every 10 years or so. GO AWAY I'M ZOOMED RIGHT INTO TAIWAN AND WAITING FOR THE COLONIST TO ARRIVE.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Also, Trade feels kind of like a worthless idea as a colnial power, especially if you are doing the trade company game. I have something like 14 merchant, and that's one more than I need. Got giant army of crigates to kjeep britain away, max forts, level 3 advisors and still making 50 ducats a month...I replenish my army by pushing the build all mercs button and shipping them around the world.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Netherlands is insanely powerful with all the buffs they've given to trade-reliant nations and colonial nations, since they are both, more so than France, England, or Spain. They don't really have anywhere the expand militarily without coalition city.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah...even taking the lowlands was hard. The only reason I never got coalitioned is that France was my ally. Althoug, expanding into the HRE is a lot easier in the beta because Austria loses the emperorship immediately and then it's Oooohhhh watch out for Hesse every body...uh oh, here comes the palatinate!!!! I made sure the protestants won the league war so I'd never have to care about the emperor ever again.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still have perma-Austria in the beta

I'm trying to play Mzab and this is a p challenging start. They're interesting because even though they have the bad and gay Berber ideas, they are an Ibadi Theocracy... Also I found out, Muslim Theocracies have unique events despite almost never existing for long in normal play. I got one that gave me 1% missionary strength, 0.25 prestige, and -5% tech cost for like 1 year income, or stronger versions of the strength or tech cost for a little less gold... Pretty sweet... Except Toggocourt got vassalized and Tlemcen or whatever somehow lost Tunis as a valid rival, then called them in to my war and pwned me.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

:rip: europe

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the...

strong bird
May 12, 2009

good to see spain holding on to their colony in morocco in spite of the Actual Apocalypse

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Did Sinaasappel. The game trolled me because the last Orangist I got to tip me into getting them in power was really poo poo and the statist was 6/6/6. FFFUUUUUUUUUU! also thought it was going to be hard, but I forgot that Taiwan is part of China. Ming had mil tech parity with the Euro powers and the biggest army in the world...really did not want to gently caress with that.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Looks like I ended up getting market control too...weird that I never got it before, but I think when I normally do colonise I ignore either asia or america and go after the other. Also haven't really played the trade game since I did Venetian sea and levelled up my knowledge.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Damnit, I think I made the Mamluks too big to annex by giving them back all their cores from the Ottomans. I was expecting it to take a while but not this long. What are my options, just try and get diplomatic reputation to speed it up?

Also, check out the rest of the map. Some cool stuff you don't see a lot of, like buff Burgundy, huge Scandinavia, buff and separate Lithuania, Portugal tearing up northern Africa, etc.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The new Pope event bonuses are so sick...free 5 discipline yes please.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yolomancer posted:

Damnit, I think I made the Mamluks too big to annex by giving them back all their cores from the Ottomans. I was expecting it to take a while but not this long. What are my options, just try and get diplomatic reputation to speed it up?

Also, check out the rest of the map. Some cool stuff you don't see a lot of, like buff Burgundy, huge Scandinavia, buff and separate Lithuania, Portugal tearing up northern Africa, etc.

don't influence ideas help with that?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The new Pope event bonuses are so sick...free 5 discipline yes please.

i continue to be amazed that the pope dominates italy in only most games, instead of all of them

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I thought that TO and LO was gonna be the hard part of Holy Trinity...vassalised them both in a single war pretty early on. TO was small enough that they only needed 75 warscore, but I pulled LO in as a co-belligerent so I could still get them at 97 (Idunno if them not being a co-belligerent would double the cost for vassaling them, but I didn;t want to risk it). Venice is fairly mighty so don;t really want to gently caress with the knights until I get a deec navy. Allied with England, but the AI is loving hopeless at doing anything with their navy. Venice actually defeated the Ottomans in a war and own albania and a bunch of other provinces in Western Greece and it's still really early on...Austria didn;t rival them though and won't go to war with them...unless I no CB the Knights.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Also had to take out loans to win the war with TO/LO because England sent their army over ande got killed before I could walk through Lithuania (I used them as mil access) and we didn;t have the numbers until I took out some mercs. I left my navy in the black sea and it sunk from attrition lmfao and now I have no money so I hope the drat knights don;t get eaten before I rebuild a navy. I wish there was a big flashing message that tells you when a stationary navy is taking attrition because I lose so much ships from it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You have 150 years from when Rhodes falls, and then there's a good chance Aragon will cede them Malta anyway.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

You have 150 years from when Rhodes falls, and then there's a good chance Aragon will cede them Malta anyway.

I won't be able to release them anyway because Rhodes is Greek.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I won't be able to release them anyway because Rhodes is Greek.

You can do rebel fuckery and then invade them after they get released from you though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Also, they aren't maltese anymore so I dunno if they can get malta.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Also, they aren't maltese anymore so I dunno if they can get malta.

They are never maltese. The way it works is that whoever owns Malta gets an event when Rhodes falls, and they can choose to cede it to The Knights.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

They are never maltese. The way it works is that whoever owns Malta gets an event when Rhodes falls, and they can choose to cede it to The Knights.

That's good. I hope that the Knights don;t get taken though becuase I'll be pissed if I wait around for some event to fire and it never happens...maybe I can sell them Provence as insurance so they can always exist.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Any htoughts on what to take as my first idea set? I'm already 1 relation over my limit right now with TO and LO as marches so I was thinking diplomatic could ease that. Influence not really super useful because I don't think I'm going to be mucking aorund with non-march vassals too much...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Any htoughts on what to take as my first idea set? I'm already 1 relation over my limit right now with TO and LO as marches so I was thinking diplomatic could ease that. Influence not really super useful because I don't think I'm going to be mucking aorund with non-march vassals too much...

Diplo is fantastic in general, but don't forget Influence doesnt just make vassal annexing cheaper, it makes you get more money from vassals and get more forcelimit from vassals too.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Yolomancer posted:

The Mamelukes have cores all the way up into northern Mesopotamia?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

That is an extremely buff Ethiopia.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pewdiepie posted:

The Mamelukes have cores all the way up into northern Mesopotamia?

That's called Syria.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Diplo is fantastic in general, but don't forget Influence doesnt just make vassal annexing cheaper, it makes you get more money from vassals and get more forcelimit from vassals too.

True...just don't like the idea of wasting so many points in useless stuff like the annexing idea and the vassal cash idea since I'm never gonna annex or get money from my vassals.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Friendly Tumour posted:

don't influence ideas help with that?

They do, so does Diplomatic, but this time I went Trade -> Plutocratic -> Quality -> Religious -> Quality because, well, they are really solid idea groups for a Venice expanding into Asia and I was sick of going Influence -> Admin every drat game.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yolomancer posted:

They do, so does Diplomatic, but this time I went Trade -> Plutocratic -> Quality -> Religious -> Quality because, well, they are really solid idea groups for a Venice expanding into Asia and I was sick of going Influence -> Admin every drat game.

tbh i usually do exactly that haha. I wouldn't worry about annexing mamluks atm, a big overseas vassal is a powerhouse for expansion. And of course you can eventually just intentionally piss them off enough so they declare a war of independence.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

True...just don't like the idea of wasting so many points in useless stuff like the annexing idea and the vassal cash idea since I'm never gonna annex or get money from my vassals.

You aren't expanding TO and LO to proper, worthy marches? :nallears:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I don't really know what I'm gonna do with them just yet...but why do it need influence to expand them? They won't give me money and the force limit buff is at the end of influence...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Poland has a bunch of TO cores that I'm gonna take back soon. Lucky Poland is a right oval office though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I noticed that Poland almost always reduces the TO to it's historical borders when it beats them the first time which is kind of cool.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dip reputation makes it easier to expand vassals without them getting ideas.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

you get the same amount of dip rep going diplo though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm not listening to Larry Parrish anymore.