Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

EGSunBro posted:

Every now and then I remember there's two different MOBAs built into 14 at this point and you know if we're getting more Eureka instead of more Rival Wings maybe Eureka doesn't suck that hard after all.
Verminion isn't a moba, its a real rear end RTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Triple Triad tournaments seem pretty fun! I've been to all of one so far, though, since I'm relatively new and barely got to being able to make a Real Deck.

I haven't tried Verminion beyond the tutorial, because playing it on a gamepad seemed like a pain in the rear end from the tutorial. Those challenge logs will probably lure me in eventually, though.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
CHAOS still down or is it just me?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

serious norman posted:

CHAOS still down or is it just me?

Chaos is in....well.....chaos right now until we hear otherwise.

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/b58c2fdca5f8687d9a09175f80c20fbea0d20e84

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I would actually enjoy a Chocobo Hot and Cold mini-game where you get to ride around on your Company Chocobo and dig up potentially rare and valuable items.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I'm a little lost about what to do with DoL/DoH classes at 50. I have Weaver and Miner up there now, but I'm not sure I get what the collectible system is about, and my gear seems to have taken a dive in effectiveness.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Do Moogle tribe quests, alternatively levekit your rear end up to 60 so you can unlock custom deliveries

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

LordHippoman posted:

I'm a little lost about what to do with DoL/DoH classes at 50. I have Weaver and Miner up there now, but I'm not sure I get what the collectible system is about, and my gear seems to have taken a dive in effectiveness.

Stock level 50 stuff is gonna be garbage going into expansion content, yeah. Think of it in terms of battle classes; they hand you an i90 set at 50, but a level 51 enemy will tear you to ribbons since there's a big difference between "the beginning of level 50" and "the end of level 50" gear. Try and levequest your way to 51 and buy some replacement gear, unless you had BiS 50 stuff.

Collectables for crafters is just a replacement for quality, except you have to turn on a skill first to make an item a collectable (which just means you can't wear/use it, only for turning in). Fishing collectability is just straight RNG based on your stats, and mining/botany collectables are...different. Whole buncha new skills that raise your collectability score, which you then gather off the node with your remaining hits, etc.

edit: also get CRP to 50 for Byregot's Blessing, because it's delightfully overpowered and I can't imagine crafting things without it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Is it possible to hit 1000 collectability when doing it as a miner or botanist? I've made it to maybe 650 or so at most.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Hrm, maybe on a +2 node with 800GP (possible with food and melds), perfect luck on appraisal multipliers/Discerning Eye procs, and liberal use of Utmost Caution. Can't do the exact math ATM.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Leofish posted:

Is it possible to hit 1000 collectability when doing it as a miner or botanist? I've made it to maybe 650 or so at most.

The collectable skills for gathering have caps on how many points each can get (though skills that boost your next hit can raise it beyond that), so I don't think you can actually reach 1000. 650 is still insanely high though, all things considered. I'm lucky if I end up somewhere around 480 most of the time.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LordHippoman posted:

For DoH: earn a whole bunch of company seals and then purchase the Artisan gear from your company HQ, which'll easily last you to 52. If you need offhands, they're usually very cheap on the MB. You should do all of the DoH level 50+ quests, since these will give you Company Manuals that'll make the early levels go by a lot more easily. Gather an absolute shitload of the materials you need to make the initial Heavensward components (mostly Mythrite Sand, Mythril Ore, Mythrite Ore, Archaenoris Hide, Cedar Logs, and Pudding Flesh), use your Company Manuals, and either run crafting macros (if you want the EXP) or Quick Synth a bunch of the basic components (if you have money to burn on crystals). You can then either turn in leves or just do daily turnins to your company HQ, depending on your tastes. Collectibles aren't as important for DoH, just because they're not really economical and don't give as many seals as Custom Deliveries do. Supplement this with Moogle Tribe daily quests, which are easy to do and give gobs of EXP.

For DoL: burn leves to hit 51 and then purchase a full set of the Archaeoskin stuff, either from the vendor in Ishgard along the Jeweled Crozier or the MB. You can buy mainhand upgrades that'll last you to 52 from your company HQ for seals. Leves are still the fastest way to level, but the slower, more even method is through collectibles. To simplify: Rowena will request a specific list of items that you can turn in as collectibles for EXP and seals. Each tier has a generic turnin that rewards a little EXP and which is commonly obtained from nodes and several rare turnins that require you to collect the items from timer-based nodes. You need to get at least 600 GP to do the collectibles comfortably, which you can get by melding a GP+3 or GP+4 to each of your armor slot items and then eating Dzemael Gratin, which you can purchase cheaply from the carvery in Ishgard in the Crozier.

Gathering collectibles involves using a separate set of skills that you'll get at 51. It's kind of like DoH: you have a set amount of durability ("wear") with which to execute actions that increase the item's collectibility before it becomes nearly ungatherable. You need to get the item to a certain collectibility threshhold (which you can see by going to the Timers -> Rowena's House of Splendors tab) before it can be submitted. It's usually more efficient to go for collectibles that you can guarantee to collect 3-4 of instead of aiming for the highest tier possible.

When you first start out, you'll want to collect Yellow Copper Ore for Miner and Old Word Fig for Botanist. Most people use FFXIV Clock, which shows you the time, location, and slot of each collectible. Make sure you eat your Gratin a little in advance, ensure that Collector's Glove is active, then head to node's location at the correct time. At 51 with 600 GP, your rotation will look like this:
  • Toil of the Mountaineer/Pioneer
  • Discerning Eye
  • Methodical Appraisal
  • Methodical Appraisal
  • Methodical Appraisal
  • Field Mastery/Sharp Vision III
  • Collect x3

That'll get you 3 of the collectibles above the minimum requirement. You can then turn them in at Mor Dhona for EXP and scrips. You keep repeating this until new turnins unlock, then keep doing it, advancing up the list of collectibles once you get your Perception/Gathering in the range it needs to be to get them up above the collectible requirement comfortably. My general advice is to only go for collectibles that are about 2 levels below yours, assuming you're constantly updating your gear as you climb up.

Once you get above a certain level, you can start gathering the lower tier (240~ requirement) mats using only two Methodical Appraisals, which'll let you get 4 collectibles per run. Lower tier stuff is often well worth it even into 57+. Just keep doing this and you'll hit 60 in no time. Be prepared to burn through a lot of Cordials if you're sitting down to do multiple different types of turnins.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 21, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Leofish posted:

Realistically the only way would be to keep increasing collectability past the node's durability. There's no reason to do that if you can get to 550 since that will give you the best reward for any existing collection request.

Basically the 1000 is there either for future proofing or as a nice round number that's larger than the range they wanted to work with.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Thanks for the 50-51 bump advice, it's a little disappointing there isn't any GC gear for DoL, but getting to 51 for the Ishgard stuff doesn't seem too hard. I'm already about halfway there, and the leves in Ishgard seem to give out some good EXP returns.

Vermain posted:

[*]Toil of the Mountaineer/Pioneer
[*]Discerning Eye
[*]Methodical Appraisal
[*]Methodical Appraisal
[*]Methodical Appraisal
[*]Field Mastery/Sharp Vision III
[*]Collect x3
[/list]

I didn't realize Methodical stacked :v:. Thanks for this.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LordHippoman posted:

I didn't realize Methodical stacked :v:. Thanks for this.

Think of the Appraisal line of skills (Methodical/Instinctual/Impulsive) like you would the Touch line for DoH: they improve collectibility by an amount based on your Perception and cost 10 wear each unless modified by other skills. Discerning Eye increases the collectibility gained from your next Appraisal by 150%; it's like Great Strides, effectively.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 21, 2018

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Rainuwastaken posted:

The collectable skills for gathering have caps on how many points each can get (though skills that boost your next hit can raise it beyond that), so I don't think you can actually reach 1000. 650 is still insanely high though, all things considered. I'm lucky if I end up somewhere around 480 most of the time.

What's your rotation looking like? Assuming you're meeting the max threshold on perception and you're farming sands, I've long since switched rotations.

Impulsive
Single Mind and Utmost Caution if proc, Refresh node if none.
Instinctual
Instinctual
Single Mind if at or over 400, Discerning Eye if below
Methodical
Collect up to 4 in the neighborhood of 550 collectability(or much, much higher if you're lucky on that first DE boosted Instinctual which can yield over 210 on one hit but it's not necessary to get that high) for 7/8 or 8/8 reduction score if you've managed to refresh your node to yield a 2 attempt bonus. Keep refreshing while waiting on GP or Cordial cooldown.

This rotation also gets you max scrips out of Deliveries if you use them for that. Just use the guaranteed +1 attempt node. And visit the blank ones to refresh it and maybe get yourself a +2.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 21, 2018

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Skaw posted:

What's your rotation looking like? Assuming you're meeting the max threshold on perception and you're farming sands, I've long since switched rotations.

My rotation is built around chaos and my gut feeling, because I've never actually looked this stuff up since powergrinding my crafters and gatherers to 70 in Stormblood. I appreciate your rotation and will definitely give it a try; I never even thought about testing a node for a proc before spending any GP, but it absolutely makes sense since the limiting factor is always GP regeneration. :downs:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Stock level 50 stuff is gonna be garbage going into expansion content, yeah. Think of it in terms of battle classes; they hand you an i90 set at 50, but a level 51 enemy will tear you to ribbons since there's a big difference between "the beginning of level 50" and "the end of level 50" gear.

The Gnath used to beat my rear end like a drum even with Ironworks Gear. :negative:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The Gnath used to beat my rear end like a drum even with Ironworks Gear. :negative:

Overworld critters are tuned surprisingly high, yes. You can notice this with Ananta quests; any given quest target at 70 takes way quicker to kill than the rando 61 things you find around.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

On the other hand, if you start their quests at Level 60, the enemies die to a stiff breeze.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The thing with leves is that, when using them to level up crafters, you have to balance three resources: Time, Leve Allowances, and Money. There's three kinds of 1-50 leves, each of which puts a different strain on one of those for the benefit of being less harsh on the other two. Heavensward introduced Large Scale Leves in Ishgard. They're basically poo poo for gatherers, but for crafters, you can get pretty much an entire level in one shot. So if you have leve allowances to burn but not a lot of time and/or money, do some large scale leves.

For gatherers, I found that the initial leves for both Ishgard and Kugane weren't too bad, because you're not going too far from where you do the actual work, but eventually it got to the point where I figured "ugh, gently caress running back and forth, I'll just put on a podcast and go into mental cruise control while gathering the stuff I'll need to grind on to raise my other levels anyway."

Namazu will offer gatherer stuff too, so once you get into Stormblood territory, you can use the catfish dudes to level up mining and botany.

Also the obvious but hopefully already handled bit: don't try to do gathering until you've unlocked flight in the level relevant zones, because hoo boy gently caress walking through that poo poo.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Vermain posted:

post-50 DoH/DoL guide

hey yo cheers for this verm, I'm also at miner 50 and want to eventually level gatherer/crafter classes, so this'll be good for me.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Vermain posted:

For DoL:

What's this all look like for Fishing?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cabbit posted:

Like this:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Use the seven million red scrips you'll be getting from turning in Miner/Botanist collectibles to buy DoL Company Manuals, turn on Netflix, and grind at fishing holes with a minimum of low-level garbage to try and get leve fish. Most of the collectibles for fishing are dependent on specific weather conditions and mooching opportunities, so they're not predictable in the same way that Miner/Botanist collectibles are. I used this guide for leveling Fishing and it's not too bad, although there might be a better one out there somewhere.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Vermain posted:

Use the seven million red scrips you'll be getting from turning in Miner/Botanist collectibles to buy DoL Company Manuals, turn on Netflix, and grind at fishing holes with a minimum of low-level garbage to try and get leve fish. Most of the collectibles for fishing are dependent on specific weather conditions and mooching opportunities, so they're not predictable in the same way that Miner/Botanist collectibles are. I used this guide for leveling Fishing and it's not too bad, although there might be a better one out there somewhere.

Yeah, just fish the hard way for the most part and hope you get something worth turning in for leves. I will say however that Heavensward Collectible fishing leveling is entirely doable.

As far as Stormblood goes, whoever was in charge of laying out leveling progress for Fishing in Gyr Abania and Othard did a really awful job of it. Collectible fish basically don't exist. They're way too rare. You also aren't going to be reliably catching levequest required fish until you're 65 and spearfishing Sea Lanterns in the Ruby Sea. This is only slightly alleviated by the fact that HQ fish are going to be yielding you 100k+ experience from the start with the experience manuals. Mining and Botany have such a ridiculously easy time in comparison to Fisher in this level set.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 22, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fishing is such a pain in the rear end.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Fishing is such a pain in the rear end.

I really don’t get the aLURE

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Well, right now the allure of it is I don't have to bother with GP bullshit slowing me down or making me chug cordials, though looking ahead that seems to stop being a thing when spearfishing makes an appearance.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Cabbit posted:

Well, right now the allure of it is I don't have to bother with GP bullshit slowing me down or making me chug cordials, though looking ahead that seems to stop being a thing when spearfishing makes an appearance.

gently caress spearfishing so hard. The only benefit of fishing was that I could do it in another tab and flip back when I heard the sound effect. Spearfishing somehow combines the worst parts of all the gathering classes and then adds its own even worse bullshit on top of that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I haven't tried it yet. How is it worse?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

post 60 I leveled fishing almost entirely through catfish dailies and class quests

spearfishing is fine except for spawning rare nodes which is a bitch and a half and gently caress it forever

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I haven't tried it yet. How is it worse?

It's like mining/botany (nodes with durability) except there's a BS timing element to penalize you (you have to click the node when it's bubbling in the right way) and you collect something at random instead of getting to pick what you're gathering. So, taking fishing mechanics and grafting them onto mining/botany nodes to get the worst of both worlds.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gross.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Aithon posted:

Triple Triad tournaments seem pretty fun! I've been to all of one so far, though, since I'm relatively new and barely got to being able to make a Real Deck.

I haven't tried Verminion beyond the tutorial, because playing it on a gamepad seemed like a pain in the rear end from the tutorial. Those challenge logs will probably lure me in eventually, though.

Verminion is trivial to cheese for the challenge logs. I only use cherry bombs and hildibrands. Build 5 cherry bombs at the start and then nothing but hildibrands for the rest of the game. Float the cherry bombs to the enemy shield generator and then to their crystals one by one. Defend your crystals with your hildibrands. Don’t worry about using skills. The computer will just suicide on your hildibrands and leave your cherry bombs alone. You win in like 4 or 5 minutes and get a ridiculous amount of mgp.

Also now that you can play against the computer for tournament wins I am goddamn rear end hell getting that baby penguin achievement minion.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 22, 2018

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I just do the Goobue fight 5 times and spam Hildibrands. Usually takes like 2 minutes tops

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

jalapeno_dude posted:

It's like mining/botany (nodes with durability) except there's a BS timing element to penalize you (you have to click the node when it's bubbling in the right way) and you collect something at random instead of getting to pick what you're gathering. So, taking fishing mechanics and grafting them onto mining/botany nodes to get the worst of both worlds.

It's actually better than standard fishing because you get a skill that tells fish to go away and due to the way gigs work it's very, very easy to catch what you want to catch from a node. In general there's 4-5 fish on a node, 1 per each gig and 1-2 that can be caught with any gig. Veteran trade away the fish you don't want and all of a sudden it's exactly like mining/botany with an easy timing game attached to it.

The worst parts of it are indeed the fishing parts of the graft, not the mining/botany ones :v:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 22, 2018

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I accidentally pressed a button and found this game has a first person mode

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Control Volume posted:

I accidentally pressed a button and found this game has a first person mode

toward the tail end of HW i would only run 24man content in first person mode for no real reason, i guess just because the challenge was funny. also you saw a lot of poo poo you otherwise might not, especially on the ceilings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Countblanc posted:

especially on the ceilings

This is one of my two acid tests for an MMO's quality (the other is how the jump feels) and they've never let me down.