Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
also for java can we talk about how cool jOOQ is.

cause it fuckin' owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

St Evan Echoes posted:

why would you flash the shaggar-signal like this

visual studio is a bad ide and every time i have to work on a legacy project that uses it, i hate myself and everyone around me

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

visual studio is amazeballs

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

intellij gets some really fancy stuff right and a whole bunch of extremely basic stuff completely wrong. i bought a license because i wanted to support the developers and i regret doing so.

want to add an extra level of indentation to wrapped lines? gently caress you. there's a bunch of niggles that i ran into and couldn't fix but that's the main one that sticks out. this combined with the fact that it likes to gratuitously reformat my code every time i do a refactor or C&P is a dealbreaker.

maven integration? kinda rudimentary. a dude working with me on a side project complained that he had to spend a while kicking intellij before it realized my code was java 8 and not java 6 (despite the pom saying that it's java 8).

jpa integration? very flashy, and does not appear to work at all. like i can't get it to connect to my data source and it just highlights everything as an error

oddly enough NetBeans seems to get the basic stuff right in a way that the other Java IDEs do not, and yet I think I'm the last person outside of Oracle who still uses it. Add a compiler plugin to your POM, for instance: it integrates into the error highlighting and generates whatever source code it needs to generate in the background in real time as you edit. Imports are cleaned up automatically on save. Autocompletion is not lightning fast but quite adequate in the responsiveness dept.

I thought I was the only one!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i use IntelliJ and visual studio

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
gosh uncurable mlady, your mom lets you use two ides?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MSPain posted:

the Right Way To Do It changes every three months in web land, good luck staying ahead of that while not becoming part of the problem.

idk if someone posted this here yet https://hackernoon.com/how-it-feels-to-learn-javascript-in-2016-d3a717dd577f#.jnroxsapu

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

irrelevant to the ide fight but i just want to say:

two POMs one .jar

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Luigi Thirty posted:

well then, gently caress you GEM

original windows had the same issue. win32 is only slightly better and barely good! but at least it's multithreaded so you can just say gently caress it all

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

pro click

reminds me of http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/xml/soap/simple

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

hackbunny posted:

original windows had the same issue. win32 is only slightly better and barely good! but at least it's multithreaded so you can just say gently caress it all

yeah there's MiNT which is multithreaded TOS with preemptive multitasking but my ST can't run it because no hard drive

stock TOS allows one program at a time plus six "desk accessories" in cooperative multitasking

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

so what im gathering is that the design of html+css is malicious toward the programmer and all the browser vendors are huge dickheads

test it to work in IE11 and Edge and call it a day.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

intellij owns and i never regret buying a license.

i dont use maven tho, i use gradle, which has a "generate an intellij project from this build.gradle" plugin.

i hate using anything else as an IDE because everything is so fast.

their code generation templating is p. dece too, if I want fluent style getters I just create a template and boom it's there.

also it understands javax.annotation.Nonnull/Nullable and tells you when you're not checking null correctly.

im a huge intellij fanboy, tho

intellij and gradle are trash and the worst thing you can do to visual studio is install resharper on it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I wanna hear the shaggarpinion on what's wrong with resharper

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

resharper is good although it's getting less valuable as new vs versions come out.

still worth it for the refactoring hints tho.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

oddly enough NetBeans seems to get the basic stuff right in a way that the other Java IDEs do not, and yet I think I'm the last person outside of Oracle who still uses it. Add a compiler plugin to your POM, for instance: it integrates into the error highlighting and generates whatever source code it needs to generate in the background in real time as you edit. Imports are cleaned up automatically on save. Autocompletion is not lightning fast but quite adequate in the responsiveness dept.

<3 NetBeans

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

gently caress why do our people keep using concatenated strings to build stored proc executions in c#? like, our libraries even provide a method to just pass a hashtable of params but no, gotta concatenate those strings and return even a single value as a datatable instead of using an OUTPUT!

lol same with the strings

what is you mean by OUTPUT? because I know of no alternate to using a DataTable

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

oh my god my new goal is to get a Spectre GCR

it's a cartridge that plugs into your atari and with the help of a set of Mac Plus ROMs it can run system 6 on an 8MHz ST AND includes a GCR <-> MFM translator that lets a stock Atari disk drive read 800K Mac disks

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i dont use maven tho, i use gradle, which has a "generate an intellij project from this build.gradle" plugin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradle posted:

Apache Ant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradle posted:

a Groovy-based domain-specific language (DSL)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

quote:

their code generation templating is p. dece too, if I want fluent style getters I just create a template and boom it's there.

So is the code snippet facility in the other two Java IDEs

quote:

also it understands javax.annotation.Nonnull/Nullable and tells you when you're not checking null correctly.

yeah that's cool

even better is this thing called java.util.Optional because that actually uses the Java type system to accomplish exactly the same thing. Well, almost. I guess a static analysis pass to catch uses of null is good too.

if you're stuck on Android like a filthy savage then there's always com.google.common.base.Optional, which is what inspired the one that got added to Java.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

raminasi posted:

its full of dumb tiny annoyances that they wont ever fix and it makes vs run like poo poo and the auto complete isn't any better. theres no reason for it especially after vs 2013/2015

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it really loving sucks that you cant get eclipse auto complete in vs. that poo poo was so much better.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

its full of dumb tiny annoyances that they wont ever fix and it makes vs run like poo poo and the auto complete isn't any better. theres no reason for it especially after vs 2013/2015

swr

my only experiences with resharper are from ancient history though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if it was 2010 resharper would be great but its not.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Sapozhnik posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

imagine a decent DSL that doesnt require a million tags

thats gradle

people who use maven today are the people who were using ant 5 years ago

dinosaurs

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
imagine a dsl that's not just a lovely pile of functions written in some other language

now keep looking because gradle ain't it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

dsls suck

"yeah its a whole new language inside <other> so you can reuse some parts of the <other> ecosystem"

but only a random arbitrary subset of <other>

also you're now chained to the entire <other> ecosystem

I don't really see the point

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
dsls are good in general, but edsls are really often complete poo poo because they have to rely on syntactic tricks to get the host language to understand the edsl's grammar (see basically any ruby edsl)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
tef was right

"code is written in one language and errors are given in another"

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

HoboMan posted:

can someone recommend a book on SQL development? like optimizing queries, best practices, how to think about reads and writes? everything i've seen looks like it's for someone who doesn't even know what an RDBMS is. (i am working on SQL server 2014)

just one thing: don't use auto increment, use uuids

also it depends if you're actually using a database as a database and not say some application store.

most database advice is often the "you are writing a payroll system" stuff and it's not that directly applicable for everyone

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Asymmetrikon posted:

dsls are good in general, but edsls are really often complete poo poo because they have to rely on syntactic tricks to get the host language to understand the edsl's grammar (see basically any ruby edsl)

they are bad, edsls are worse than dsls

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
Q: What do ruby programmers call a library?

A: A DSL

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
carmack talked about a DSL - QuakeC

it was a mistake

he thought by punting out to quake c he could get level designers to build up game logic

the problem is: programming is buggy

the programmers who were supposed to be doing "heavy lifting" ended up spending a lot of time debugging the quakec

in the end, it was faster to let the people who'd learned to program do the programming, in the same language as everything else.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
on the other hand, you could point to lua as a successful DSL

but the thing is, you don't change or extend the semantics of lua when you embed it, you tend to provide features in ways lua programmers understand (tables, function calls, method calls)

or a library, by any other name

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
then you get to "EDSLS"

all the power of a library, except without being able to interoperate with other code, or, using a familiar syntax

there's the ruby monstrosities, wherein they've made some builder methods and slapped together some blocks. it's like a language, except without a parser, or an interpreter. tracing errors is nigh on painful

or worse, a yaml programming language, like ansible.

a dsl is like regular programming except you have to express all iteration as recursive string template invocation

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
Imagine a DSL where your source code is stored in an opaque binary format. This is how people make video games now.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ruby is bad

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

tef posted:

just one thing: don't use auto increment, use uuids

also it depends if you're actually using a database as a database and not say some application store.

most database advice is often the "you are writing a payroll system" stuff and it's not that directly applicable for everyone

It's worth noting that you if you're using GUID primary keys you should still have an autoincrement clustering key to avoid bonkers fragmentation.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sapozhnik posted:

even better is this thing called java.util.Optional because that actually uses the Java type system to accomplish exactly the same thing.

good thing intellij supports that too!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Does MUMPS count as a DSL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

raminasi posted:

I wanna hear the shaggarpinion on coderush

• Locked thread