Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

sean10mm posted:

I mean their AG ran on "I will put Trump in jail as soon as he's out of office" so yeah, not a shocker there lmao

Yeah but upstate and NYC are two entirely different places.

Upstate is generally Trump Country and pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Upstate is generally Trump Country and pretty bad.

No, Upstate is generally a midwestern state, e.g. swing.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Elotana posted:

Regarding that list, including Jared Golden in a list of M4A supporters is bullshit. He did the same "M4A is the destination" schtick as Buttigieg and Harris in 2019, and in 2020 he flat-out ran away from it.

https://www.wmtw.com/article/health-care-views-present-wide-gap-between-candidates-in-maines-2nd-congressional-district/33985658
He oversees the Collins country district, so this was likely pressure from those conservatives so he could keep his seat (which worked).

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 17, 2020

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
e: thanks! :)

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 17, 2020

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Pick posted:

I mean, to some degree we know it at least can't be consistent policies. Trump completely flipped the republican party on free trade, the Iraq war, and isolationism. In like a year. These aren't minor things, these were defining issues as they relate to the party.

Honestly, I really would like to see this talked about more, because it's literally insane. There's always that "only Nixon can go to China", element, but this was way more than that. It really can't be emphasized enough, Republicans love Free Trade. And who would've thought the 2nd Republican president elected after 9/11 would've been able to effectively argue in favor of pulling out of middle-east? It's completely bonkers.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
did trump flip them on it, or did obama flip them on it through the power of contrarianism

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

-Blackadder- posted:

Honestly, I really would like to see this talked about more, because it's literally insane. There's always that "only Nixon can go to China", element, but this was way more than that. It really can't be emphasized enough, Republicans love Free Trade. And who would've thought the 2nd Republican president elected after 9/11 would've been able to effectively argue in favor of pulling out of middle-east? It's completely bonkers.

Only if magnifying the drone murder program by 10x and amping up the conflict in Yemen counts as "pulling out" somehow.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Trump literally campaigned on how 9/11 was George W. Bush's fault, and suddenly all the Republicans lined up behind him on that? Again, this is pretty telling I think, about how fungible people's ostensible political values are.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The stats back up the idea that Republicans, overall, do not actually care about policy, and are more than happy to flip which policies they do and don't support as soon as they're told to do so. Democrats are significantly less responsive to such abrupt changes.

Of course I wish I could post those stats, but the only place I can find that links them is on WaPo right now and I don't feel like putting in the effort to bypass their paywall. It used to be easy to google but I guess it isn't any more?

Maybe someone here still has some of the studies.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

sean10mm posted:

Only if magnifying the drone murder program by 10x and amping up the conflict in Yemen counts as "pulling out" somehow.

He effectively argued it. Doing it is a completely different question.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I think people's opinions are more malleable on foreign policy issues where most people don't have deeply held convictions. I don't have the stats handy, but I'd wager that most Democrats approve of Obama's actions in Libya, etc., whereas if a Republican did the same thing they would disapprove. It's only when you get to culture war issues that a party can start to alienate its base.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Majorian posted:

I remember watching SNL as a kid in the early 90's and them putting on sketches like this all the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1gC912LUq0

(God, what an artist we lost in Phil Hartman)
Wow, thanks for posting this. I'm familiar with Darryl Hammond's Trump impression, which is okay, but I either hadn't seen Hartman do it before or hadn't seen it in long enough that I completely forgot about it. It's a great impression that I'm sure would've gotten even better over time. What an actor. :rip: :smith:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't agree with giving up on the rural white voter. The best thing the democrats could possibly offer them without losing their soul is economic programs. But you're right: As far as I can see the data does not paint a picture of a secret, engaged left wing voting populace just waiting to be activated. If it did, we'd be talking about Bernie Sander's crushing 400 EV win two weeks ago. We need to convert BOTH groups.

The rural white voter doesn't want to be saved, they want to drag the liberals screaming into hell with them because they resent that the world has passed them by and changed around them.

quote:

We found town managers and elected officials who were frustrated over the generalized anger toward Washington because it inhibited practical solutions from being pursued. These officials knew they had to secure grants from the federal government, for instance, but found it difficult to do that when local elections were won by far-right candidates.

I think the concerns about moral decline often miss the mark. I think a lot of white Americans in these small towns are simply reacting against a country that is becoming more diverse — racially, religiously, and culturally. They just don’t how to deal with it. And that’s why you’re seeing this spike in white nationalism.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

I've posted in D&D about this before but my whole life Republicans have been the Free Trade party in every way. It was literally the raison d'etre of the Libertarian movement. Yes, Clinton and Obama signed treaties but those were after YEARS for pressure from republicans. I've had a number of Trump supporters who say that they like Trump for his classical liberalism and it's amazing. Not to mention cheap immigrant or offshore labor being the best thing ever.

Somehow the right has taken their big party platform wins and turned them into Democratic party albatrosses. It's like Mater gaslighting McQueen, "Don't you remember, you was there!" What?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Oracle posted:

The rural white voter doesn't want to be saved, they want to drag the liberals screaming into hell with them because they resent that the world has passed them by and changed around them.

Yeah people in rural places can vote very badly, but it's bit like saying "the cornered animal doesn't want to be freed, it just wants to bite everyone." People in lovely situations lash out.

Edit: And even still, 30+% of white rural voters are still voting for change and progress. I don't believe in leaving them behind economically either. The left needs a platform that helps all of the working class. (And then the left needs to take over the Democratic party).

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
It's because the party has

A) A cult of personality
B) a social and televised media bubble where any position can be bolstered with made up informatin
C) a huge driving force of social insecurity among scared whites

The party is living on fear and will believe anything the Strong Daddy says.

Saying that can gain Republicans to leftist causes if you frame it right is true. The right framing is "the right Republican has to say it"

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah people in rural places can vote very badly, but it's bit like saying "the cornered animal doesn't want to be freed, it just wants to bite everyone." People in lovely situations lash out.

People who are lovely situations who are white vote for Trump.

Making broad statements like this without a racial qualifier makes it sound like the only important poors are poor whites.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

People who are lovely situations who are white vote for Trump.

Making broad statements like this without a racial qualifier makes it sound like the only important poors are poor whites.

The rural vote is 90+% white. We were talking specifically about the rural vote. Please don't take a small part of the conversation we were having and turn it into something it isn't. It should be obvious from everything else I've said over the last few pages I do not support ignoring anybody's plights.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

sean10mm posted:

Yeah. For them it was very much was, because that's not all he did. Here's a great, extremely pro-read article about the Truman Show/Kabuki Theater that then Secretary of Defense Mattis and Chief of Staff John Kelly had going with Congress, The Pentagon, The State Department, and basically anyone else that Trump knew to get Trump not to "pull out" of Syria.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 17, 2020

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Hellblazer187 posted:

The rural vote is 90+% white. We were talking specifically about the rural vote. Please don't take a small part of the conversation we were having and turn it into something it isn't. It should be obvious from everything else I've said over the last few pages I do not support ignoring anybody's plights.

What about outreach to get the sizeable chunk of non-white rural voters?

Rural Navajo came through big for Biden in Arizona.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

brugroffil posted:

It's a great idea to do as well. I reject the idea that it's an either/or. Most of the same economic policies would help the poor of any race, urban or rural. I'm not sure why "we shouldn't completely abandon trying to win the white rural vote" is taken as "we absolutely should abandon several other demographics" when I've said nothing of the sort.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Trump gave "farmers" (really rich land owners but it worked as a totem) billions upon billions of dollars with no authorization.

Do that. Send people checks, give them jobs. They'll vote for you! Patronage politics works, and it's morally good!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

it seems likely that wiping out student loans would increase the uneducated voter resentment against the democratic party because it seems like a big driver of their current voting is resentment against college-educated 'elites'

that said, it might be along the lines of increasing the resentment of african-americans towards the republican party based on trump's open racism; not a lot of room left to lose

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

brugroffil posted:

Trump gave "farmers" (really rich land owners but it worked as a totem) billions upon billions of dollars with no authorization.

Do that. Send people checks, give them jobs. They'll vote for you! Patronage politics works, and it's morally good!

Agreed. It works especially well when you sign your name on the check in big letters.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

brugroffil posted:

This is a good point. With the asterisk that we should recall most people claiming indigenous ancestry live in urban environments: IIRC the Indian country vote is not monolithic or all that amenable to generalizations in the national context. That may be exacerbated by a lack of trust - a whole lot of people on the rez do not trust either party to give a poo poo about them. While trying to check myself on that, data I've seen cited a lot comes from the crosstabs on the Latino Decisions election eve poll. I don't know enough to say one way or the other whether it's good data. https://latinodecisions.com/polls-and-research/american-election-eve-poll-2020/

Being as the candidate with the most robust platform addressing native issues was probably Elizabeth Warren's, I suspect that there are a lot of gettable votes there if someone would credibly attempt to address tribal concerns. I also suspect the vote suppression efforts hit native peoples pretty hard.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 17, 2020

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Hellblazer187 posted:

And all of the policy discussion just completely blows past AOC's other major complaints about the old guard party - the lack of digital and in person organizing. I don't think you need to adopt AOC's policy positions to adopt her electoral tactics. Knock doors, buy big digital ad buys, spend less on TV and grifting consultants.
I don't think the complaint about digital advertising really holds up under scrutiny. AOC's point about Conor Lamb not spending much money on Facebook ads is kind of undermined by the fact that he won his race anyway despite his opponent outspending him by 6x on Facebook, and other candidates like Max Rose throwing tons of money at Facebook (relative to his opponent) and still losing.

VitalSigns posted:

And yet minimum wage, which black people also get, scored 60+% of the vote in Florida while the Florida Democratic Party got wiped out

Somehow voters didn't associate Florida Democrats with policy that those same voters knew would help them
I'm not sure why people assume that support for policies like minimum wage increases would necessarily translate into support for Democratic candidates in general? I think that's reading more into it than is actually there.

I think it's more likely that the minimum wage increase succeeded specifically because it was on its own ballot initiative, and does not imply that a voter who voted in favor of the minimum wage would necessarily vote for a Democratic candidate in general because that candidate might also support gun control or abortion or [whatever other dealbreaker issue that causes them to vote Republican in the first place].

Aruan posted:

Nobody is saying that progressive candidates can't do well, but we have zero evidence that: 1. progressive candidates did better in red districts in contrast to centrist Democrats, 2. Democratic losses in flipped 2018 red seats have anything to do with issues, 3. this election was meaningfully about health care in any significant way, and - and this is the most important one - 4. that general support of policies translates into voting for specific candidates. In fact, what evidence we do have (and I use "evidence" lightly here, since we're talking about a sample size of less than ten seats with virtually no data, today, about how people voted) is that centrist candidates (i.e. Spanberger) were able to keep their seats in Republican districts and progressive candidates running on very progressive platforms in red states got blown out (West Virginia). What this would suggest, then, is: there is no grand narrative linking policy position to how well or how poorly House candidates did.
Exactly. So far the only reasonable conclusion to draw is that it's more difficult for Dems to win elections when Trump is on the ballot. There really isn't enough information to conclude anything else, and if you're trying to draw conclusions about how X policy is responsible for Y candidate losing in Z district based on a handful of data points you should probably consider whether you're simply allowing your pre-existing biases to dictate your conclusions.

NoDamage fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 17, 2020

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

eviltastic posted:

This is a good point. With the asterisk that we should recall most people claiming indigenous ancestry live in urban environments: IIRC the Indian country vote is not monolithic or all that amenable to generalizations in the national context. That may be exacerbated by a lack of trust - a whole lot of people on the rez do not trust either party to give a poo poo about them. While trying to check myself on that, data I've seen cited a lot comes from the crosstabs on the Latino Decisions election eve poll. I don't know enough to say one way or the other whether it's good data. https://latinodecisions.com/polls-and-research/american-election-eve-poll-2020/

Being as the candidate with the most robust platform addressing native issues was probably Elizabeth Warren's, I suspect that there are a lot of gettable votes there if someone would credibly attempt to address tribal concerns. I also suspect the vote suppression efforts hit native peoples pretty hard.

There's plenty of non-white rural vote in the south, too.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

eviltastic posted:

Of note here: BLM has been almost as much a native movement as a black movement (and in the SW the native stuff was really front and center, even relative to the rest of the country... where it's also been front and center, albeit a bit quietly so). Like AIM has pretty much been wedded to blm for years now because they very correctly intuited that where one goes, the other goes.

Also (from what I've seen and from talking to cousins) the navajo/dine experience in particular in the SW is basically getting the double whammy of anti-mexican racism plus a ton of anti-indigenous racism on top of that and it's pretty loving intense and probably drat near 100% of people would say they've experienced both. I'd be exceptionally surprised if they weren't very directly on the receiving end of a bunch of misdirected ice harassment, as well.

(not speaking authoritatively here, just from some proximity to things)

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 17, 2020

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Hellblazer187 posted:

The rural population is about 75% white(as of 2010). That's a big difference from what you've said.

Hellblazer187 posted:

It's a great idea to do as well. I reject the idea that it's an either/or. Most of the same economic policies would help the poor of any race, urban or rural. I'm not sure why "we shouldn't completely abandon trying to win the white rural vote" is taken as "we absolutely should abandon several other demographics" when I've said nothing of the sort.

The issue is that the racial aspect is not a separable thing and huge part of people's politics. The racial part is the single biggest indicator of voting for Republicans in rural voters. Not income.

That matters when you're making an argument that actually it's class that is pushing people towards trump, as you seem to be doing here:

Hellblazer187 posted:

That sounds a lot like "fix race and you'll fix class" which is, at best, naive.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The coup attempt continues

https://twitter.com/dananessel/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1328832941309513729

So why shouldn't I be freaking out that Trump could steal Michigan and some other states to steal the election from Biden with this poo poo?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Willo567 posted:

So why shouldn't I be freaking out that Trump could steal Michigan and some other states to steal the election from Biden with this poo poo?

Because their legal arguments are so loving stupid and evil intent so transparent that even the dumbest chud judge would rather vomit on their own genitals than accept their arguments.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Shammypants posted:

Because their legal arguments are so loving stupid and evil intent so transparent that even the dumbest chud judge would rather vomit on their own genitals than accept their arguments.

Isn't this what we've been fearing? That Republican electors would refuse to certify the results

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
What is the legal remedy to force a board of electors to certify an election if they just refuse?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
The state will just certify, county boards doing this is usually just a formality.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

pthighs posted:

What is the legal remedy to force a board of electors to certify an election if they just refuse?

They can be sued I imagine and eventually removed or forced to certify.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

ShutteredIn posted:

The state will just certify, county boards doing this is usually just a formality.

Guess the state board split

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/stat...ingawful.com%2F

State level Dems are avoiding federal races because of the horrid leadership situation

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1328832941309513729

Because they don't have any actual arguments and they're being laughed out of court. Since this one deadlocked it goes to the state board, and if the state board deadlocks it goes to the state court, and Michigan's courts have been throwing out Trump's poo poo constantly.

I donno how to make you not worry, I worry too. But I worry because we're seeing a genuinely anti-democratic party here, something actually incompatible with democracy and governance. They're clownish and pathetic and have no legal merit, but these are people who are now putting their careers on the line because they don't like the election results; and they're making the calculation that they'll be okay doing it because their party has lost it. I might just stop paying attention for a while, cause it's the same story: Trumpists getting in the way of the government working because they don't like that Trump lost. So far, the government has continued to work regardless, and I'll just have to hope that it continues to.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

brugroffil posted:

Guess the state board split

So that means Trump can actually steal Michigan.

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Willo567 posted:

So that means Trump can actually steal Michigan.

gently caress

He's not going to steal Michigan.

If they don't certify at the state level it goes to the Courts where they will get laughed out of the room like what's happening everywhere else.