Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Shadowhand00 posted:

Is there a significant difference between the two 4G hotspot devices?

I have the Samsung one and it seems a little choppy some times, like the signal drops out or something. There was a firmware update recently that helped immensely but the problem is still there.

I don't know if the Mifi one is any better in that regard or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

:suicide:

I just want a new phone you assholes.

vv Been this way for about a year, so gently caress you :v:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 22, 2011

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kyrosiris posted:

:suicide:

I just want a new phone you assholes.

This is how I felt for a month, now I have a Nexus. So suck it.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Im still sitting on my OG droid, they keep releasing phones that I want to wait for. First the bionic, then the razr, galaxy, but mainly now the droid 4. The keyboard seals the deal for me. I think Ill just give in and get a galaxy. Might be able to swing using my extra $30 off ontop of my 2 year contract.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Cojawfee posted:

This is how I felt for a month, now I have a Nexus. So suck it.
More than that really since the GNex was announced in mid-October.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I'm just really really sorry, Kyrosiris.

http://phandroid.com/2011/12/21/leaked-verizon-doc-says-motorola-droid-4-postponed-until-early-february/

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Welp. :suicide:

At least my D2G works okay enough.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FYI, Razr update is live for everyone now. Just go into About and check for updates and it should pop up.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/21/droid-razr-update-rolling-out-now/

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Mine just popped up here at 1:17 Central.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
One of my local corporate-store Verizon reps told my mother and I that the only way for us to swap phone data allowances within our family plan requires that both of us get new phone numbers, doubly a pain since we're in different area codes. Basically we'd swap lines, then each get a new number in the appropriate region.

She's on Unlimited, using under a gig per month, and all the tethering, mapping, streaming, etc. I've had to do lately is putting a squeeze on my 10GB subscription. If we go ahead and make the swap, is there any chance in hell of getting our original numbers back, or better yet an alternate solution?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

redstormpopcorn posted:

One of my local corporate-store Verizon reps told my mother and I that the only way for us to swap phone data allowances within our family plan requires that both of us get new phone numbers, doubly a pain since we're in different area codes. Basically we'd swap lines, then each get a new number in the appropriate region.

She's on Unlimited, using under a gig per month, and all the tethering, mapping, streaming, etc. I've had to do lately is putting a squeeze on my 10GB subscription. If we go ahead and make the swap, is there any chance in hell of getting our original numbers back, or better yet an alternate solution?

Pretty sure that's bullshit. Try calling *611 and asking them about it.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Anyone know if Verizon is still doing half off the Galaxy Nexus extended battery?

Yakadan
Aug 1, 2008

canoshiz posted:

Anyone know if Verizon is still doing half off the Galaxy Nexus extended battery?

I ordered one on the 19th and it went through at half off but I got an email yesterday saying they were out of stock.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

canoshiz posted:

I don't see it listed on their site anymore so I don't think so.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=refineByPhone&phoneId=5801

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

redstormpopcorn posted:

You could try porting your current numbers to Google Voice right before you make the switch, but you'd lose the benefits of those numbers being your carrier numbers (free mobile-to-mobile, short-form SMS codes, and probably some other stuff), and of course that's throwing one more complication into a situation that Verizon already seems to have trouble handling.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

canoshiz posted:

I bought one in a store on Monday or Tuesday this week and it was still half off. The clerk said I took the last one they had, and they were moving fast -- if it's not listed on the web maybe they might just be sold out altogether now.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
updated my RAZR this morning, and promptly had zero data and zero bars.

When i went to use the phone, bars magically appeared, and went away after i ended the call. Data just came back on for me now, and the bars thing was resolved after I redid root.

Although i think i used a different thing this time, because it added some rom app, and 'My Files' vs 'Files' a tad annoying.

Can you just apply a different root on top of that?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
For some reason it added a smart action that turned sync off when the screen was off? Not sure what the hell that was about. Camera seems to work a bit better - you can take several shots in a row now easily.

Connectivity seems about the same but I too had it drop all connection for a while after it updated.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, it seems a lot of people reported data connectivity issues right after the update (though, I did not have them), but they resolved themselves.

The camera seems as fast as the galaxy nexus now in successive shots.

Nothing changed as far as smart actions go on my phone, it didn't add any new rules in.

As for data connectivity, I didn't have any major issues before so it will be hard to tell if things are improved. Probably the best way for me to tell will be battery life.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I am officially Nexus'd, the phone is tits. Camera isn't the bomb but I can deal with it coming from an lg env2.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

flyboi posted:

I don't see it listed on their site anymore so I don't think so.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=refineByPhone&phoneId=5801

I was able to get one yesterday in person, actually finding a store that had one in stock was a bit of an adventure though, fortunately I got off work early or it would not have been worth it.

I have a quick question about rooting, this might be better suited for the actual rooting thread but that one's is a bit intimidating to read through. I am not a computer novice and I can read instructions so the process for the galaxy nexus looks fairly straightforward. It seems that the main advantage of rooting or unlocking the bootloader would be to block adds and give me the easy option of installing stuff that requires root access in the future as the nexus does not appear to have much n the way of Verizon junk running on it. Are there any other advantages for someone who is not (right now anyway) interested in customization? How likely am I do actually damage my phone, permanently or otherwise?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It's pretty hard to damage the phone, the only time you could is screwing around with flashing over the boot loader. Anything else you do can be reversed quite easily. The main advantages of root/unlocked loader are that you can run custom roms such as cyanogenmod, use apps such as setcpu to overclock/underclock your phone (can prolong battery by underclocking/volting), do things like calibrate your battery and a lot of people illegally tether using wifitether on a rooted phone.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Also rooting lets you take proper App backups (titanium).

Just think of it this way, would you buy an expensive computer and be satisfied not having full admin access to do whatever you wanted to it?

Yakadan
Aug 1, 2008

Yakadan posted:

I ordered one on the 19th and it went through at half off but I got an email yesterday saying they were out of stock.

Mine just shipped but YMMV.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
I'm thinking about moving from Sprint to Verizon within the next couple of months and had a couple of questions.

1. I use Google Voice and its integration with Sprint and never use my Sprint number as a result. I assume there's no equivalent for Verizon? If not, is it possible to port my Google Voice number? It's not feasible at all to use another number in my situation.

2. Last time I tried to sign up in a corporate store they wanted a $400 deposit. Is there any way around this? It's a show stopper if not.

I'd likely be getting a Galaxy Nexus on the 2/4GB plan based on my past usage habits, if this matters.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
You might not want to wait months as the 4 gigs data deal is a limited offer.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Krittick posted:

I'm thinking about moving from Sprint to Verizon within the next couple of months and had a couple of questions.

1. I use Google Voice and its integration with Sprint and never use my Sprint number as a result. I assume there's no equivalent for Verizon? If not, is it possible to port my Google Voice number? It's not feasible at all to use another number in my situation.

2. Last time I tried to sign up in a corporate store they wanted a $400 deposit. Is there any way around this? It's a show stopper if not.

I'd likely be getting a Galaxy Nexus on the 2/4GB plan based on my past usage habits, if this matters.

Wow, how bad is your credit if they want that large a deposit?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Put a Skinomi screen protector on my Galaxy Nexus today, gotta say these are way better than Zagg/Invisishield. Doesn't have that horrible gummy feeling like those two do and I hear it doesn't brown like them either. Also cheaper so :toot:

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

sadus posted:

Also rooting lets you take proper App backups (titanium).

Just think of it this way, would you buy an expensive computer and be satisfied not having full admin access to do whatever you wanted to it?
ICS lets you make app backups without root. It's not documented the greatest, but it's possible with adb.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

WeaselWeaz posted:

Wow, how bad is your credit if they want that large a deposit?

Thank my mother for it.

It's weird, yeah. Sprint only needed a $100 deposit, and before that AT&T needed a $100 deposit too. $300 more seems excessive. I haven't tried in a couple of years though. Is there a way to check online?

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

flyboi posted:

Put a Skinomi screen protector on my Galaxy Nexus today, gotta say these are way better than Zagg/Invisishield. Doesn't have that horrible gummy feeling like those two do and I hear it doesn't brown like them either. Also cheaper so :toot:
Looked these up on Amazon as I'm in the market for a screen protector and they don't get the greatest reviews but on the other hand 399 is a lot more reasonable than the 20 dollar steinheil one I am also considering , especially as I always seem to mess up the application process and end up with tons of air bubbles.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Krittick posted:

Thank my mother for it.

It's weird, yeah. Sprint only needed a $100 deposit, and before that AT&T needed a $100 deposit too. $300 more seems excessive. I haven't tried in a couple of years though. Is there a way to check online?

A lot can change in a couple years. A $400 deposit doesn't always mean bad credit as I've seen people with that high of a deposit just because they had no credit history whatsoever. Unfortunately, there's simply no way around it. The good news is you will get it back with 3% interest, but almost nobody can stomach a $400 deposit if they have that kind of credit anyway. No offense, as I'm in the same situation you are. My credit's hosed and if I wasn't a verizon employee I would definitely be looking at a deposit and as a consumer I would definitely find another route.

edit: Also, if you checked recently and Verizon is asking for $400, you're likely to see the same requirement on ATT. There's an ATT kiosk right outside of my store and I've seen kids start with us and head to the kiosk and leave both places empty handed and whether or not it's true, Verizon apparently is the most lenient when it comes to credit scoring.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

DeceasedHorse posted:

Looked these up on Amazon as I'm in the market for a screen protector and they don't get the greatest reviews but on the other hand 399 is a lot more reasonable than the 20 dollar steinheil one I am also considering , especially as I always seem to mess up the application process and end up with tons of air bubbles.

The key to getting them on is thoroughly cleaning your screen and dusting it off with a compressed air can. Apply the protector immediately after removing it's backing as fast as you can line it up. If the protector has cutouts for things like the speaker, LED indicator, microphone, try to line it up with those because having the screen protector over something like the speaker will cause it to bubble in that spot and it's annoying as poo poo.

Use a credit card to push out the air bubbles. The ones you can't push out indicate you have some kind of debris in that spot. I use scotch tape to carefully lift the screen protector to remove whatever the gently caress is stuck underneath and push the bubbles out with my credit card again.

I've got it down to a loving science. I've also done over a thousand or two of them.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

DeceasedHorse posted:

I was able to get one yesterday in person, actually finding a store that had one in stock was a bit of an adventure though, fortunately I got off work early or it would not have been worth it.

I have a quick question about rooting, this might be better suited for the actual rooting thread but that one's is a bit intimidating to read through. I am not a computer novice and I can read instructions so the process for the galaxy nexus looks fairly straightforward. It seems that the main advantage of rooting or unlocking the bootloader would be to block adds and give me the easy option of installing stuff that requires root access in the future as the nexus does not appear to have much n the way of Verizon junk running on it. Are there any other advantages for someone who is not (right now anyway) interested in customization? How likely am I do actually damage my phone, permanently or otherwise?

I've kept mine 100% stock.

I'm sure ill root and poo poo eventually, But right now, Its pretty solid without. And this is coming from someone who's rooted, jailbroke, or threw some sort of rom on every smartphone ive owned since the old windows mobile days. I really dig stock on this thing for some reason.

kstatix posted:

The key to getting them on is thoroughly cleaning your screen and dusting it off with a compressed air can. Apply the protector immediately after removing it's backing as fast as you can line it up. If the protector has cutouts for things like the speaker, LED indicator, microphone, try to line it up with those because having the screen protector over something like the speaker will cause it to bubble in that spot and it's annoying as poo poo.

Use a credit card to push out the air bubbles. The ones you can't push out indicate you have some kind of debris in that spot. I use scotch tape to carefully lift the screen protector to remove whatever the gently caress is stuck underneath and push the bubbles out with my credit card again.

I've got it down to a loving science. I've also done over a thousand or two of them.

You actually peel the whole back off? I always do the "top" or wherever the tag to start pulling is, lay that part down, make sure its straight, then pull it all off. That way I dont have to pick it up 30 times to make sure its straight, then again I shake like loving crazy.

The tape trick, Rules tho, been doing that the last few years working for att and honestly its the best way to unfuckup a screen protector in a hurry.

Cool tip, Packing tape if you dont have canned air works really well for all the little bullshit lint that wont come off or keeps showing up everytime you think its "clean". Just lay down some like you would a screen protector, and peel it off. Pretty quick and dirty, But it works.

kstatix posted:

A lot can change in a couple years. A $400 deposit doesn't always mean bad credit as I've seen people with that high of a deposit just because they had no credit history whatsoever. Unfortunately, there's simply no way around it. The good news is you will get it back with 3% interest, but almost nobody can stomach a $400 deposit if they have that kind of credit anyway. No offense, as I'm in the same situation you are. My credit's hosed and if I wasn't a verizon employee I would definitely be looking at a deposit and as a consumer I would definitely find another route.

edit: Also, if you checked recently and Verizon is asking for $400, you're likely to see the same requirement on ATT. There's an ATT kiosk right outside of my store and I've seen kids start with us and head to the kiosk and leave both places empty handed and whether or not it's true, Verizon apparently is the most lenient when it comes to credit scoring.

AT&T is brutal. 400 deposit on big red means 500-750 on ATT.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 24, 2011

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

AT&T is brutal. 400 deposit on big red means 500-750 on ATT.

How long does a carrier let you string them along without paying? I always assumed they'd cut your phone off once you're more than maybe 2 weeks late on your bill. So for that it seems like their potential exposure if someone flakes out is the ETF + 1 or 2 month's service, so $400-$550.

In other words why in the world they want a $750 deposit? Multiple lines or something?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

kitten smoothie posted:

How long does a carrier let you string them along without paying? I always assumed they'd cut your phone off once you're more than maybe 2 weeks late on your bill. So for that it seems like their potential exposure if someone flakes out is the ETF + 1 or 2 month's service, so $400-$550.

In other words why in the world they want a $750 deposit? Multiple lines or something?

750 PER LINE.

AT&T just dont want deadbeat customers. And statistically bad credit = lovely payment history somewhere.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

I've kept mine 100% stock.

I'm sure ill root and poo poo eventually, But right now, Its pretty solid without. And this is coming from someone who's rooted, jailbroke, or threw some sort of rom on every smartphone ive owned since the old windows mobile days. I really dig stock on this thing for some reason.

You actually peel the whole back off? I always do the "top" or wherever the tag to start pulling is, lay that part down, make sure its straight, then pull it all off. That way I dont have to pick it up 30 times to make sure its straight, then again I shake like loving crazy.

The tape trick, Rules tho, been doing that the last few years working for att and honestly its the best way to unfuckup a screen protector in a hurry.

Cool tip, Packing tape if you dont have canned air works really well for all the little bullshit lint that wont come off or keeps showing up everytime you think its "clean". Just lay down some like you would a screen protector, and peel it off. Pretty quick and dirty, But it works.

Thanks for the tips on screen cover application guys, hopefully I'll be able to pull it off. I have both tape and compressed air so I should have a shot. Do you think the standard cheap ones work well enough or is the $20 steinheil one worth the cost?

DeceasedHorse fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 24, 2011

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

DeceasedHorse posted:

Thanks for the tips on screen cover application guys, hopefully I'll be able to pull it off. I have both tape and compressed air so I should have a shot. Do you think the standard cheap ones work well enough or is the $20 steinheil one worth the cost!?

Buy the cheap ones.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

I wonder if Verizon wanted so much because I had so little good credit history and only the student loans on there as bad history. By now I have had a few diffetent bills under my name with no late payments and have been building good credit for 2+ years.

If I go through the online ordering process, will it tell me the deposit before I purchase anything? I suppose that's one way to check if it's still $400 or not. I could handle a $200 deposit even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

DeceasedHorse posted:

Thanks for the tips on screen cover application guys, hopefully I'll be able to pull it off. I have both tape and compressed air so I should have a shot. Do you think the standard cheap ones work well enough or is the $20 steinheil one worth the cost?

Just wanted to add that if you are having problems with dust specs and/or hair, I have had luck with applying the screen protector in a very humid environment (like the bathroom with the shower turned on full hot water for a few minutes).

• Locked thread