Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Juice bars make me mad. The ones I see never seem to be very busy or popular, but they sprout up all over the loving place anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

yea dude theyre just money laundering services

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

yea dude theyre just money laundering services

Laundering their Father's money away from him.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Why would people buy wine already in the can when they can just wash out and reuse a can of delicious Wolf ColaTM

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Wine in a can is stupid when there isn't a hipster under 35 that wouldn't buy wine in a caprisun pouch or juice box.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

In other news, millennials at some college no one cares about in Canada are freaking out:

Apparently they are mad about British colonialism of all loving things, and that somehow means handicapped people shouldn't have a yoga class

Article here

EDIT: the specific quote

I don't even

what cultural genocide what the gently caress are they talking about indian culture still exists

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

This is a smart business owner because his juice bar serves double duty as a medical research lab.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Khorne posted:

yeah it's pretty much a crime against my ethnicity to call chourico chorizo

soyrizo if you're white

In other news, millennials at some college no one cares about in Canada are freaking out:

Apparently they are mad about British colonialism of all loving things, and that somehow means handicapped people shouldn't have a yoga class

Article here

EDIT: the specific quote

I don't even

Ah yes, the mindfulness movement.

If you ever meet someone who says the word "mindfulness" in your presence...feel free to crank a sticky homunculous load into their latte, mexi-fries, and/or chicken cordon-bleu sandwich

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

KoRMaK posted:

For real? Was as in past tense? Bounce is still there.

I didn't know there were other ohio city goons. I knew there were cle goons but not ohio city specifically. Are you cool? If so, I'd like to meet in person and be disgusted/disgust someone else about what forums I post in.

Yeah Bounce is still there, but from that article it looks like there was a lot more than just Bounce.

I'm only here temporarily for work, I moved to Ohio City just over a year ago, but I'm likely gone in 6-12 months back to Chicago. I'm just south of St. Ignatius, so if you want to get a beer at Platform, or ABC, or something PM me.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Oh boy! I want a job in which I make pretentious juice smoothies while sweating in a hazmat suit all day long for minimum wage.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Article here

I don't even

If you're American and eat a spicy tuna roll, you may as well have personally given Sadoko cancer

Phlegmish posted:

what cultural genocide what the gently caress are they talking about indian culture still exists

Eh, so do Jews. I guess it doesn't count as racial genocide because they left Pakistan un... wait, were the Brits even rounding the Indians up and killing them? I thought they just stole all their stuff. Their artifacts and spices. An artificial genocide?

I mean poo poo, you don't lose an idea that only you used to care about. This is like if a non-nerd was upset about the mainstreamifying of nerd culture

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Basically if you believe in "cultural appropriation" as a concept, you're a moron.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

notZaar posted:

Basically if you believe in "cultural appropriation" as a concept, you're a moron.

no actually you're a retard if you don't

like that yoga story is dumb as hell but white kids wearing headdresses and poo poo like that is legit terrible

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 24, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Wow that was fast, we found our first moron.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

notZaar posted:

anything is justified by increasing the number of awesome yoga rear end in society.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

notZaar posted:

Lol, cultural appropriation is real. All culture is appropriation. As individuals we don't really think up a lot of cool poo poo, so when we see something cool we copy it.

That is how culture works - see something cool? Copy that poo poo, and maybe murder the guy who came up with it so you can claim it's your own idea, idk.

Cultural appropriation is both real and awesome.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

notZaar posted:

Wow that was fast, we found our first moron.

sorry your feeble baby brain can't distinguish between legitimate social problems and gay tumblr nonsense and it causes you to act out like this

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

sorry your feeble baby brain can't distinguish between legitimate social problems and gay tumblr nonsense and it causes you to act out like this

I don't know what the big deal is, we murdered them fair and square so now we get to wear their hats

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I don't know what the big deal is, we murdered them fair and square so now we get to wear their hats

appropriating scalping like this is v. problematic

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

notZaar posted:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lol, cultural appropriation is real. All culture is appropriation. As individuals we don't really think up a lot of cool poo poo, so when we see something cool we copy it.

That is how culture works - see something cool? Copy that poo poo, and maybe murder the guy who came up with it so you can claim it's your own idea, idk.

Cultural appropriation is both real and awesome.

Good thing that happens: "oh awesome idea let's try that thing in our own lives"

Bad thing that happens "lol guys look I'm an Indian look I have a feather on my head lolololol"

Hell as dumb as the backlash was for that "please don't wear racist costumes" letter from the uni professors this halloween, I can still walk into Halloween city and buy a Ching Chong Chinaman costume without batting an eye

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
It used to be called "cultural fusion," lol, but then the culture police decided that if you don't copy every aspect of some tradition then you're doing it wrong and must be making fun of someone. I wear a poncho because it suits the weather where I live, e.g., but I wouldn't be surprised if some white Millennial got mad at me for it.

Wearing a feathered headdress when you're white just because you like the look? I think a hat is a hat and Texans don't get to bitch when I wear a ten gallon one, either.

Wearing a feathered headdress and dancing around going "hey-a ho-a hey-a ho-a" or clapping your hand to your mouth while holding a high note? Now you're being retarded.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
nm

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Stinky_Pete posted:

Eh, so do Jews. I guess it doesn't count as racial genocide because they left Pakistan un... wait, were the Brits even rounding the Indians up and killing them? I thought they just stole all their stuff. Their artifacts and spices. An artificial genocide?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuggee To be fair, its harder to sympathize in that particular situation.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Stinky_Pete posted:

Wearing a feathered headdress and dancing around going "hey-a ho-a hey-a ho-a" or clapping your hand to your mouth while holding a high note? Now you're being retarded.

this is what they did at the boston tea party btw :911:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

cultural appropriation is not real and if you think it is, your view of culture is more simplistic, superficial and essentialist than that held by white supremacists

the fact that it's such a nonsensical concept is the entire reason it's so popular among the tumblr crowd, any human being is guilty of it by definition

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Whatev posted:

Juice bars make me mad. The ones I see never seem to be very busy or popular, but they sprout up all over the loving place anyway.

frozen yogurt seems to be the same thing

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

:drat:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Sold me on it

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Cultural appropriation actually owns and there should be more of it

Edit just thought about limp bizkit and realized there are some times when cultural appropriation doesn't own :(

neonbregna fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 24, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Culture is shared and imitated, it's not appropriated or stolen you dumb baby. Just because somebody is copying something that you do that doesn't mean you can't do it anymore.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Getting mad about cultural appropriation kinda seems like some well meant but poorly thought out effort to return to Jim Crow policies.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
nononono Bobby, don't do that, that's the way of the Negro, only do stuff from this list of approved white behavior, living your life like this is called anti-racism and it is very progressive you see

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

no actually you're a retard if you don't

like that yoga story is dumb as hell but white kids wearing headdresses and poo poo like that is legit terrible

no it isn't and it doesn't matter and nobody of any consequence cares about it.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
How did this thread go from "funny things happening to people distracted by phones" to a terrible, off-brand D&D thread?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Marta Velasquez posted:

How did this thread go from "funny things happening to people distracted by phones" to a terrible, off-brand D&D thread?

Millennials ruin literally everything.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

white kids wearing headdresses and poo poo like that is legit terrible

actually its not because here's why: who cares

naem
May 29, 2011

Stinky_Pete posted:

It used to be called "cultural fusion," lol, but then the culture police decided that if you don't copy every aspect of some tradition then you're doing it wrong and must be making fun of someone. I wear a poncho because it suits the weather where I live, e.g., but I wouldn't be surprised if some white Millennial got mad at me for it.

Wearing a feathered headdress when you're white just because you like the look? I think a hat is a hat and Texans don't get to bitch when I wear a ten gallon one, either.

If you have to copy every aspect of the tradition, you're supposed to have killed a man for every feather as I understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

naem posted:

If you have to copy every aspect of the tradition, you're supposed to have killed a man for every feather as I understand

Yeah I meant to put that I have mixed feelings about someone who wears a headdress because they were learning to do a special ceremony, but didn't earn the feathers in battle :shrug:

In a way, people who fly the confederate battle flag are appropriating form their ancestors' culture by not being in battle.

nomadologique posted:

this is what they did at the boston tea party btw :911:

Yeah if only they'd have just stuck with that instead of what they did later, I think we'd all be better off today.

• Locked thread